Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Solution for the inconsistency induced by Dedicated Servers

Hello,

In regards to fixing many of the issues we have all been encountering (especially on the survivor side in terms of Bullsh1t Hits®) I have a quicker, better and simpler solution as opposed to what the Game designers thought of (reworking the entire movement engine of survivors in a way that makes their movements predictable to the server).

The solution consists of showing more information about the Server you are connected to:

• Every player is able to see everyone else's ping towards the server, including their opponents, as well as their own (the only one that was shown so far).
  • Some general info about the very Server you are connected to should be shown like the Region it's supposed to cover.

While the second point is for minor issues like finding yourself connected to the wrong servers (I personally found myself connected to American servers with a kinda bad ping and I live in Italy),

the first point is more relevant because if a player is looking for the perfect experience, this system makes them able to find the lobbies with the best ping for both themselves and the Killer and those games are ensured to give the best consistency in terms of hits and that type of stuff.

The fact that Killers with a high ping may get frequent lobby dodges like they used to on the P2P system is a problem that should not bother the average ping players.

Sadly, when it comes down to all the issues related to the killer gameplay that were introduced by Dedicated Servers such as patting survivors on their shoulder rather than grabbing them, I wouldn't take for granted that survivors ping matters in this kind of situation and I would take for granted that it doesn't matter at all for all the specific killer power issues that are just countless.

Here are a couple of examples to mention just for clarity:

• Inconsistency with Myers's stalk progress that makes it progress and quickly regress in certain scenarios.
  • Upon teleporting to a triggered Phantasm trap, Hag's camera is often taken to where she teleports, then back to her previous position, then back to the teleport location again in a quick and annoying flicker that may happen to rob her of a hit opportunity due to the precision required.

Comments

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

The issue with showing ping is the lobby dodging which they have already said they don't want to happen.

The other issue is those who use a vpn as the ping is to the vpn and not the end user so it an give a false one.

Maybe they should do a stress test when clicking searching for match which then matches pings within a set range.

0 -100, 101-150, 151-200 etc.

• Vert3x
    Vert3x Member Posts: 125

While I guess the VPN can be handled, it's quite a pity to have to give up the game consistency (because the whole system they have in mind is not reliable, I'm just saying, I sadly know BHVR well enough to assess it isn't going anywhere) because they don't want people with a bad ping to be lobby dodged, that's just not acceptable and ludicrous.

If what you referred to as "the stress test" is what I think you're talking about, it would be an automatic lobby dodge, people with a high ping would just wait longer to see survivors join their lobby rather than seeing them join and leave until some just don't pay attention or don't mind and play the game.

The difference is that with manual lobby dodging of bad pings you know you'll get what you want, with the stress test we're gonna live up to an algorithm from BHVR and I don't think I've got to say anything else, am I right? *pats matchmaking on its shoulder*

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

It then comes down to allowing those with bad pings to be lobby dodged taking longer to find games or letting the system be automatic so no one knows and it takes longer to find games.

A stress test to the person's game client should give the real ping in theory rather than just it using an the vpn's connection for it.

• Vert3x
    edited February 2020

The automatic system would be unreliable because that's a standard for BHVR. They should just show the ping of everyone, that's it, as simple as that.

Another possible idea if they really want to avoid lobby dodging is to make sure that any occurrence that is currently controlled by the killer's client (such as hit detection which is the most commonly inconsistent one) should instead be controlled by the server (if possible) or the survivor's client in case the ping of the killer is higher than 150 ms.

Just anything to avoid the idea of reworking the movement engine because anyone that has seen how BHVR works for at least a year knows where it's gonna end up.

• seffard
    seffard Member Posts: 40

They said the matchmaking is automatically regulated by the triangle time, fairness and ping. Maybe let players prioritize one or some of them. Im willing to sacrifice time for fairer matches with better pings.

• Vert3x

Their matchmaking never worked, I'm here either trying to get to see the ping of killers myself or to go for the possibly more bhvr-friendly alternative of getting hit detection calculated based off of the server or the survivor's client in case the killer's got a bad ping (over ~150ms)

• Vert3x

Interesting to know there's been no progress with the Hit Validation project and that nothing about Dedicated Servers has been improved.

It's still a great pleasure to see that the worse the Killer's connection is, the better they'll perform due to Bullsh1t Hits®, makes me feel like Dedicated Servers were a great investment to improve those annoying scenarios that would happen on the P2P system.

I still remember being able to see the actual Killer's ping rather than my ping towards a server and dodging those lobbies with 300 ms to avoid being hit from 3 meters away, what an occasion to have tons of fun was I missing at the time! So glad Dedicated Servers are here to make me enjoy those games too!

I also remember playing Killer and grabbing survivors from generator repair and unhook animations to hang them ona a rusty hook, so much violence back to those days, now you can finally calmly and peacefully pat their shoulder to encourage them to keep on playing Dead by Daylight! Glow ups, folks!