Matchmaking??

NeonAlien
NeonAlien Member Posts: 328
edited March 2020 in General Discussions

Sooo I took a break of DBD for some weeks/months. I played some games and I just want to ask, what the hell is going on with matchmaking?

I'm on rank 8 rn and I'm getting constantly teamed up with rank 20 survs (yes, actual rank 20's, not a hyperbole) and rank 20 OR rank 1 killers. I'm trying not to get mad at them for not knowing how to play the game or for not caring how bad my team obviously is, but it is making me not want to play as often.

Can we AT LEAST be able to see the ranks of survivors in my team so I know what I'm heading into? I don't want to lobbydodge, but I need to know beforehand if I can rely on my mates or not. It's a pain to realize halfway through the games that my teammates are crouching in corners all the time while I was trying to get stuff done, essentially for nothing since 1-2 persons trying their best while the other 2 aren't doing anything doesn't get you that far. (I'm not a pro player, but usually decent enough in a good team).

It's frustrating, and the fact that waiting for lobbies still takes around 10-15 minutes really does not help I:

Is this how it's gonna be now? Or is something being done about this?

Edit: I'm on PS4

Comments

• NeonAlien
    edited March 2020

Now that you're mentioning it, I remember we had visible ranks for some time and it was very nice! I don't understand why they didn't keep it.

And yes, that's exactly how the games look like. It's ridiculous. What are the random rank 20's supposed to do in that environment? What are the "better" players supposed to be working with? It's an unhealthy and bad experience for everyone.

Btw, what does "MMR System" mean?

• NeonAlien

I see, that sounds like it's going to make things even worse. Why even have ranks then? I think the rank-based matchmaking was... fine. Not perfect by any means, but as close as you can get in a game like this where every game plays differently and the outcomes are not entirely skill-based but also depending on luck, map, opponents, perks etc, as you said.

And to be honest, I don't really trust BHVR for pulling the "MMR" thing off in a consistent, logical way. It's almost impossible to do so, I think.

But then again, I'll take anything over getting teamed up with rank 20's every other game, at this point...

(btw I'm guessing you're playing Claudette, I love your cosmetics!)

• blasto
    blasto Member Posts: 41

Its a mistake to think about each game individually when applying an MMR system. Everyone is subject to the same variables over time and that becomes increasingly more true over a larger sample size of games. Did a skilled survivor get downed and face camped by an iri head huntress while his rank 20 teammates hid in a corner? Who cares because the next 200 games he performed well and those other players didn’t and he gained rank and they didn’t

Players who consistently perform well will gain points more often than those that don’t.

• fleshbox
    fleshbox Member Posts: 494

Their idea of balance is now two high ranking will get out while the two low ranks will die. We all know this is not the case. Either all will die or most of the time all will get out. Rarely do i see true 2 and 2. I see more 3 than 1's.

Mind you i just had two 0k's in a row. Both were swf using coms and i got two corn maps in a row and three corn maps in 4 games. Time to shelve thsi game in favor of wow for another week or two.

I can only take this game in small doses cos of the horse manure.

• NeonAlien
    edited March 2020

Fun thing is, usually me and my friend who is around the same rank die and the others get out, because unlike them, we do gens and therefore get found by the killer more often than the other survivors, yet not getting rescued by the others as often. Most common scenario is that we all die tho, because 1-2 persons sweating out 3-4 gens while the others are literally doing nothing doesn't cut it in the end.

I understand your frustration too, I'd go nuts if I had more than 2 corn-games in a row as a killer.