Is Deathslinger historically the worst killer on release?

Noticed every killer for the longest time now was really good on release, to the point of nerfs, ghostface on ptb, legion, who could forget 180 oni. What do you guys think?

Comments

• StutteringSpartan
    StutteringSpartan Member Posts: 254

Literally no reason to buy this DLC at this present moment.

Despite the feedback devs gave us a steaming pile of ****

• NotSimoun
    NotSimoun Member Posts: 27

Oh was she? Didn't play then but I assumed she started strong with old prayer beads, vault animation and touching survivor models through phase.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

This killer, you just can't miss shots. You don't have to reload like the huntress, but it hurts when you don't line your shots up right.

It took me two or three days to get Adept Oni, and he is not my playstyle at all. I'm still working on Deathslinger, but I don't feel like this one's going to be too bad.

We'll find out after I get it how bad it was, but it doesn't feel like it's going to be too bad.

• HP150
    HP150 Member Posts: 455
    edited March 2020

Release Hag, and not even close.

EDIT: For those of you who may not have been around; She set her traps about twice as slow, her default teleport range was half as short as it is now, and most importantly she SELF-STUNNED herself every time she teleported. It was awful.

On the bright side, she had what was effectively a built-in Mad Grit due to a bug.

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118

He's def not bad. Least not yet. I've only lost one game so far, rest were 3k-4k. And I just got adept after my 4th time with him (Rank 1 btw). His perks by themselves are not great and you def can't afford to miss your shot but that's good. Lest you want those ridiculous hatchet hit boxes. His add-ons are deadly though, like jesus man.

• NotSimoun

It was a matter of playstyle tbh, you could frenzy with the remaining bar you have left, it didn't have to fill up. Sloppy and SBTFL was still viable then too.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

You either love him or ya hate him. It's the new hag. (Not power-wise, of course.)

• NotSimoun

You guys are forgetting that people are still getting used to how he plays. I still get R1 survs that run in a straight line, but every once in a while I get survivors that really know how to play against him already and are dodging left and right, dropping pallets when appropriate and respecting windows. You miss that one mixup and it's reloading simulator and the gap between you two further widens. Huntress' hatchets at least gives you chances and has no range limit. In one week when everyone is used to him its ggez

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118

Well that's your opinion. Maybe you should get better at it. He has add-ons specifically for those situations.

• Dr_doom_j2
    Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869

Imo, he controls chases and really limits the Survivors mobility. They have to respect his shot because his recharge is so fast, if you're a good shot he's almost impossible to avoid, and this dictates survivors movement in your favor. He just takes Survivors out of position, it cannot be overstated how powerful that is. I think he has potential.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

Legion at release was really bad but annoying to play against (and sometimes as).

• NotSimoun

Get better at what? I 4k every game too but like I said it's just people getting used to him. He does have his moments and he's incredibly fun. Trust me I'm on your side here, I just want Deathslinger to be as good as Huntress and not be in her shadow. I don't want to get into detail on how he could be improved but Scott Jund did a video on it, check it out!

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940

Purchased him to support the game, played one game and I'm back on survivor mode.

Maybe the developers will buff killers perks to have something like survivor synergy and SWF with no drawbacks... 4 killers 1 survivor lol

• switch
    switch Member Posts: 489

If you can't hit your shots, definitely the worst.

If you hit your shots, A-tier for sure.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632
  • LordEmrich
    LordEmrich Member Posts: 258

As much as I'd like to agree you it wouldn't be fair for him to be fast AND be able to drag Survivors to him.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,362

Its slow, but its not 4.0. Of course your gonna surprise people when you tell him that the character moves slower than Mikey in T1.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,333

I don't think anyone is complaining not being able land hooks. If you land hooks in overwatch, it is instant kill 1 shot. in DBD, if you land hooks, all you get is deep wound+sprint burst for the survivor. Deathslinger isn't bad because people can't land hooks, deathslinger is bad because landing hooks gives you no reward. It is sad that really cool killer is just going collect dust after 1 week when players figure out that he has very slow/bad 1vs1 potencial, no map presence and no capacity to snowball or stealth compared other killers.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940

Oni was bad but DemiGordon still is terrible

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

If memory doesnt fail me, she did have lots of bads going for her. Phasing sound played regardless of TR or not, Prayer Beads did literally nothing (they used to just lower the volume), the sound effect while phasing was so loud you couldnt hear much.

Legion at release wasnt that bad. Old Legion in general, if you were good with him (knowing when to use Frenzy and when not to), you could down reliably.

Clown, upon release, wasnt bad at all. Just go to all the posts from back then, considered as A tier material by the large majority. Hell, I used to think his reload speed was fine. He is only bad now because they neglected him. Several bugs and such and people figuring out how to counter him.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    edited March 2020

To me, this is just a sign that the devs are releasing killers that are in a more balanced position. He's just been released and I can't see a single whiny "NERF DEATHSLINGER" thread yet.

He does also seem like a boom or bust type of character. If you can hit shots, then you're going to go a long way, just like Huntress. If not, then you're attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helicly around an axis.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Freddy upon release was the worst killer, they nerfed him and made him even worse until current day Freddy who is amazing

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

They need to give him an ACOG.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,010

Jury is still out on Deathslinger. I highly doubt his full potential has been worked out yet.

Also I think anyone saying Deathslinger is the worst on release may be forgetting that the new Doc we have is Doc 3.0, not 2.0. The original Doc was so underwhelmingly terrible that the community voted to rework him immediately, even over the Wraith who had been the clear weakest killer in the game since the second or third month of release.

• PNgamer
    PNgamer Member Posts: 1,415

yes he is garbage

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 544

On his own map, he is real fun to play. Anywhere else? Not feeling it. Everything the people on PTB said is spot on tho'. Little to no map pressure. Lawd help him on red forest maps.

• Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529

Seems killers who start out bad often become some of the stronger killers in the game because they get buffs instead of nerfs.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    edited March 2020

Got my Adept Deathslinger. Took ~7 or 8 games? Survivors loved it too. We all Yee hawed in the post game chat together.

Yee haw man is fun, but I swear you can't be missing shots. Like at all.

Stopping to aim > firing wildly and reloading, just make sure you hit.

Also dragging survivors out of the exit gate is an extremely guilty pleasure.

Edit: Gearhead probably helped the most. Just kinda having a general idea on where to go helped keep me on track.

Nobody really ever touched the hex totem, and dead mans switch was I guess okay once?

I recommend two strats: If you're just harassing, fire at them and break the chain so they're wounded.

If you're playing for downs bap them first then shoot them when they're running away.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

Hag slaps people and limps around like a quisimoto. She's totally dependent on trap placement. And she was not as "fine tuned" as she is today. I love hag lol but she slaps ppl!

• Flatskull
    Flatskull Member Posts: 332

No.

That would be Legion. Legion was AWFUL on release. NO DOWNING POWER period. You could stab people over and over like a lunatic though, which was fun but it did nothing and your power guage would empty too quickly. Theny they reworked him and his power is still defeats the idea of having a fast killer.

I wish they just made him run and have his power go down if he tunnels one survivor for too long or something.

• neekocheeko
    neekocheeko Member Posts: 88

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I think deathslinger is pretty strong. Not billy/spirit tier but he's not anywhere close to the bottom killers. Maybe it's console players complaining since aiming on a controller is tough?

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

This. I've only been around since Clown had already came out, but I've seen old Hag gameplay and holy ######### her traps were terrible.

I think people just like to focus things that are in front of them, and they end up forgetting about other things that might have been worse.

• Huff

So getting to inflict deep wounds and waste somebody's time isn't a reward? Or getting a down on an injured survivor? You make it sound like Legion, where he can't just 1-and-2 stab somebody and down them just like that with his power. With Deathslinger, his power actually can down a survivor that's injured.

• LordEmrich
    LordEmrich Member Posts: 258

Aiming on a controller is not tough unless you've never used a controller before.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    edited March 2020

Release Spirit and Legion were worse.

Release Spirit's power took a lot longer to recharge and her phasing emission sound was a lot louder and directional.

If a Survivor had Iron Will and Urban Evasion they'd know exactly where she was while she could only guess where they were. Then after this blind guess on her part she'd have to wait, I believe, 20 seconds before guessing again.

Given she still had 110% movement speed, it really sucked.

Release Legion had no power outside of exploits. Otherwise they were 110% M1 Killers. It was awful.

It's not even like they were OP with exploits, they were just SUPER annoying to face because there was literally nothing you could do. It was still possible (easy in fact given their slow movement speed) to just split up and genrush them.

Legion takes the cake as worst Killer ever added at release simply because they literally broke the game in addition to being unbearable to face and difficult to play.

I love Legion's lore and aesthetic, but they came very close to killing the game.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,333

Not if it waste your own time. you need shoot, reeling, hit, reload your gun. by that time, the survivor can literally just hold forward and they'll be like half map away and remember, your 110%. It is going to take a long time for you catch up before you can line up next shot. Of course it isn't reward. what kind of question is that. Legion's power works because he has very little opportunity cost for injuring multiple survivors; Legion power is more about information than anything else. I don't mention legion anywhere in my previous post. It is like.... imagine billy went from 115% to 110% and his chainsaw could only apply deep wound and in order to instant down someone, you need to travel 15 meters with iridescent add-on chainsaw before it instants downs and than saying, oh but billy power can down injured survivors. Its perfectly fine. /sarcasm

• Fattyclown
    Fattyclown Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2020

Rank 1 Killer and Survivor here on ps4. I played 12 matches with the Deathslinger. 10 4k, 2k against solid survivors and 3k on Lerys because the fourth guy escaped with a key. Seem solid to me for now, maybe because i play a lot of Shooter and his power is a blessing for me.

I tried Monitor, Nurse, BBQ, Pop/ Ruin, Surv, Thrilling Tremors, Shadowborn/ Nemesis, Play with your Food, Save the Best for Last, Pop for now, always using Faster Reload Speed and Missing Shoot Recovery Addons at the moment (1 milion of BP+rift+shrine+daily helped a lot for unlocking so many perks :D)

Imho is a good killer however i feel to much his 110% speed while patroling the gens in the early game. It's not op or a top tier killer but for me it's not one of the weakest or the weakest.

Sorry for my english

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

A lot of killers were bad on release... Ghostface literally just had be glanced at to not have a power, Legion was slower and more frustrating, Spirit was loud, Oni had turning problems on console... that then got shoved on to PC...

• KnotEnthusiast
    KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464
    edited March 2020

All of y'all are babies and don't remember/weren't there, as HP150 is totally right. Release Hag was unplayable, with terrible perks. She was stunned whenever she teleported, and placing a trap took literally 2 seconds. Ruin was terrible on release as hitting a good skillcheck didn't stop gen progress, just regressed it a tiny bit, Third Seal is still pretty bad today, and totem placements were bad so DHope was basically impossible to get going.

• Chicagopimp2019
    Chicagopimp2019 Member Posts: 458

Haha...that was awesome! I had to picture what two planes attached looked like. Got the reference.....lol

• Huff

Nobody said you must chase the same survivor after you shoot them. Injuring a survivor and letting them run away while you chase a different survivor sometimes is more beneficial than just taking down one survivor. Then you're pressuring 2 survivors off gens.

I mean, if the survivors are wasting time doing thing OTHER than gens and the game is taking longer, then it's a reward. End of discussion. Whether it's top tier or not is a different discussion, but saying that there's literally no reward for hitting your shots is just asinine.