How do we fix “ tunneling “

Options
hex_genrush
hex_genrush Member Posts: 736
edited March 2020 in General Discussions

Tunneling seems to be a huge issue for the survivor side. When I play survivor get tunneled sometimes but I don’t complain because I bring ds into almost all of my solo q game. But the killer has a good reason to tunnel. I had a game where all the survivors spread out in gens and by the time I got my first down 3 gens popped, not saying it took me 80 seconds to down but rather to find and down. I got the survivor and hooked them, right when I stepped away they were unhooked without bt I downed the survivor and hooked them again I stepped away and it happened again. Turns out eliminating one survivor makes it so much easier to cope with the time crunch. I easily 4ked with 2 gens up. Did I want to tunnel ? No/yes I could care less but I could imagine it wasn’t that fun for the person who had no ds and kept getting farmed without bt. So, how could we fix tunneling? Well I think killers shouldn’t be punished for tunneling but instead they need a reason to not tunnel, and please don’t say “ sUrviVors hAve dS “ I have still been tunneled as survivor after using ds, and while playing killer I’ll gladly eat the ds if your on death hook. I don’t think tunneling needs to have a deteruent, but instead killers shouldn’t need a reason to tunnel.

Comments

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

For the most part tunnelling happens when the unhooker immediately runs off and hides, leaving the one who just got off the hook defenseless since there's nothing they can really do. They can't hide because they're injured and they probably won't be able to get healed for a while. Then the killer gets called a tunneller because they had no information about any other survivor so they're forced to go for them again. Usually when I get tunnelled it's the other survivor's fault (Even though I don't dislike getting tunnelled, I'd rather be in chases all game than healing and doing gens. I just hate doing it when I'm in this situation as killer all because the other people on the tunnelled survivor's team are dumbasses.)

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

Maybe fix the ability of survivors to sprint toward the nearest gen as soon as unhooked and resume rushing for a start.

The sweet spot seems to be 3.5v1 ...four survivors are often too many without some good RNG on your side and three survivors are too few cause we all notice the game gets significantly easier with that first kill. Tunnelers pick up on this...so I can see they see the need to tunnel.

Nice guys finish last...which holds true for this game.

• just_a_noob
    just_a_noob Member Posts: 247
    Options

"or apply the exposed effect to the unhooking survivor if they unhook someone within "x" meters of the killer." sounds like Make your choice :)

• just_a_noob
    just_a_noob Member Posts: 247
    Options

i always go away from the hook and if the survivor gets unhooked, i don't go back, i patrol gens or chase someone else. if i go back to hook then the others have more time to get gens done, however, if someone unhooked another survivor in front of me, i would just go after the person that unhooked. it happened the other day when i was killer. a claudette, got the david off as soon as i hooked him (without BT), I went to hit her but accidentally got him and downed him. i left him on the ground and went after the claudette. downed her, hooked her next to the david on the ground then walked away so someone could get him up. i don't want an easy game other wise its boring and it also makes it a crap experience for the survivor that keeps getting downed that fast. I still managed to get a 4k. But I agree with DisappointedUser, those situations are not tunneling.

I can give you an example of tunneling.....i had a game where the killer found me within 30 seconds of spawning, hooked me, someone got me off, killer broke chase with someone else to come back to me, downed me, i used ds and he kept coming for me, downed me again and hooked me, someone got me off and the killer came back after me again. team mates tried getting in the way and taking hits and blocking but the killer had no interest in any of them, he kept going around them or hitting them to get them out of the way and continued after me.

• Exxodus21
    Exxodus21 Member Posts: 1,170
    Options

It's kind of the opposite. Make Your Choice only activated if the killer has gone gone far enough away, and is a perk. This would be a gameplay mechanic that activates when the someone unhooks while the killer is too close. There would have to be more to it to prevent it from being abused by campers, but you get the basic idea.

• toxcitynacl
    toxcitynacl Member Posts: 464
    Options

Had a game with a camping/tunneling Ghostface. Unhooked someone with BT, tried to take a hit for the unhooked but the low skilled killer wouldn't even try to hit me. He tunneled the person into the ground. He camped/tunneled three of the survivors into the ground. I went into hiding..waited for him to find the hatch which seems took forever...a good ten minutes...he finally found it, I opened the gate and then left...well after I tbagged him at the gate anyway and then dm'ed him on how impressive his skills in DBD were. Think I was able to punish him to a good degree for his tunneling...at least there were ten minutes where he couldn't tunnel some other poor souls.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940
    Options

Tunneling is a killer tactic, had this used on group of survivors today.

He won the game by simply taking out the easiest target each time and by wasting other survivors time who were eager for unhooking points

• LordEmrich
    LordEmrich Member Posts: 258
    Options

You don't fix it. Killers tunnel because it makes our end goal easier: Kill all Survivors.

The main reason I started doing it is because you always get that one or two people who follow you around trying to bait you into chasing them instead of the person that just got unhooked. Now you have 2 to 3 people not doing gens. Sounds like a win to me.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940
    Options

I should also mention SWF will run in front of the killer once someone is on their third hook.

You are an idiot if you go after the non injuried survivors then as killer because of fear of being caller someone who tunnels.

It's a tactic, all survivors go through. Bad ones just DC.

• ChaosMaster130
    ChaosMaster130 Member Posts: 24
    Options

To prevent 'Tunneling' as you call it, Killers would need a VERY good reason to not do it. Not a punishment either, a big juicy reward.

AKA, Give killers a solid reward for not focusing down 1 survivor. Use a carrot on us, not a stick.

• evilnuts
    evilnuts Member Posts: 12
    Options

Rank 1 and 2 killer. For the most all depends how fast gens start poping 3 in 1 chance. trust me i am getting someone out as fast i can. Even if that means "tunneling" because hooking the good team 12× is not happening. But maybe things well change a little with the update with tool boxs.

• scarslookgood
    scarslookgood Member Posts: 157
    Options

Exxodus's 'exposed' game mechanic idea above seems appealing. It could help punish careless or callous survivor teammates, then might also affect their Altruism points and possibly their rank---the game is very unforgiving of unsafe unhooks. Add in the killer's incentive to go after the unhooker for the equally easy down and...yeah.

The downside might be dying on first hook more often because no one is willing to commit to the unhook, but hello, Kindred + Deliverance, I guess? I don't know. It's hard to offer an attractive alternative to hard tunneling because the tactic can be devastating to potatoes like me. And unfortunately, there are a lot of us.

• Kwikwitted
    Kwikwitted Member Posts: 641
    Options

It's hard for me to judge the issue because in red rank games I play in it's just assumed every survivor is carrying DS, so actually "tunneling" is usually ineffective. At best I'll slug someone coming off the hook just to slow the game down a little bit more, but picking them up? Hard pass.

The other issue is what survivors consider "tunneling". If I hooked you, then hooked someone else, then found and downed and hooked you again, that's NOT tunneling, even if it was in quick succession, I didn't hook anyone consecutively, by definition it's not tunneling. We can't even get survivors to understand what tunneling actually is, so trying to "fix" something players can't even really agree to identify is kind of a tall order.

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828
    Options

by fixing gen speeds

• Heebe
    Heebe Member Posts: 3
    Options

I say bring back the old borrowed time it counters tunneling and camping, only lasts for a short amount of time and is not that hard if you are a skilled killer to easily kill them again.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Debatable. Personally, I would call what you're describing "hard tunnelling". But it's actually completely beside the point. OP is trying to brainstorm ways to make situations like the one he described, which is strategically advantageous for the killer but really not fun for the survivor, feel less necessary for the killer and therefore less common overall. Since they made it clear what they were talking about, whether you want to describe that as "tunnelling" or not is irrelevant.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

On-topic, I think the simplest answer is to make more perks which incentivise leaving the hook. Things like BBQ, Make Your Choice, Devour Hope, etc. It may not be enough, but I think it's a solid start.

• angryliven
    angryliven Member Posts: 39
    Options

I think when the old RUIN was still played, I did not complain about the ruin as a survivor, on the contrary I knew it would be a complicated game, but sometimes I had fun, as a killer I had time to find one or two and hook them without that a gen was made, the ruin was perfect, too bad they are ruining the game, modifying the ruin without having adequate accommodation against gen rush have simply ruined the gamplay, playing as a killer after 2/3 game I no longer want, I am rank 3 but to keep it I have to sweat the whole game and sometimes perform tunneling, even if I don't want to do it but I understand very well everyone knows how to do skill chek, and therefore they are dangerous, I managed to find people in rank 2 with seventy 72 hours of play , they didn't know how to make a decent loop, what did they get by changing the ruin? a game where the killer is made fun of, mocked and if you kill two they also give you noob, I don't know how much longer this situation can continue, but soon many will set to play killer, the situation of the houses can be seen that has changed, now you can see it, but the fact that the gen rush has stopped does not change. I don't really know how to do it, I try all perk, I try to be more in patron on the gen but often I can not get to the gen in time to finish it and tepo that I take one another 2 gen are gone. advise me what to do and how to play. the surv only think about doing gen, let's do something else that makes them look for at least something before starting to make gen, tools that should look for random places like gen, tools that allow you to do gen, or something like that , there are many ideas of how to fix the game and make it balanced, but does anyone listen to us?

• CaptainRaider
    CaptainRaider Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2020
    Options

Exactly, people misconstrue this all the time. Tunneling is when a PH downs me, hooks me, hits me and I bt into a locker and he waits there for my ds to go while 3 survivors work on the gen behind me. Then grabs me, hooks me again, downs me off hook, and mori’s me all within the first 5 minutes of th game now THAT is a tunnel.

I think survivors who unhook a survivor in front of the killer need a stronger penalty. Possibly make it where the unhooker takes the damage if the unhooked is hit within a second of being unhooked.

Just something that ACTUALLY makes my teammates stop making terrible plays.