Anyone else worried about the Pop Culture/Meme question in the survey?

Options
XRuecian
XRuecian Member Posts: 118
edited March 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

If anyone took the recent survey they put out with the patch this week, you might have noticed one of the final questions was something like. "What do you think about having pop culture/meme references in our tokens/cosmetics?" That's paraphrasing, but that was basically the question.

I swear to god, if this game starts adding stupid meme, or twitch streamer emote bullshit, i'm gonna have problems.

This game is supposed to have a horror/slasher theme. If they are going to ruin it with ######### pepe frog tokens just to cater to 12 year old twitch kids, i'll be uninstalling asap.

I'm already getting tea-bagged almost every game. If i have to get to the score screen and also be greeted with snobby children using fortnite victory dances, i'm out.

Comments

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    Options

If they're charms only or some very specific cosmetics i wouldn't mind it.

And (unless they add it) you wouldn't be able to see those dances when playing killer :p

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited March 2020
    Options

That question was specifically about charms, not emotes or cosmetics. If you're going to paraphrase, paraphrase accurately. I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but spreading incorrect information like that can have some harmful side effects. It's fine if you're opposed to the idea of pop culture-based charms, but there's no need to get up-in-arms about something that wasn't there.

Post edited by Fibijean on
  • SquidFacedMan
    SquidFacedMan Member Posts: 148
    Options

Why bother with pop culture based charms? People enjoy the unique characters in DBD and want to see more of that unique stuff not stuff they can get everywhere else.

• XRuecian
    edited March 2020
    Options

Because their marketing team (every marketing team for competitive games nowadays) has wet dreams about being the next fortnite big hit for the kids, and twitch memes are the fastest way to do it.

Also @Fibijean, pop culture references are pop culture references. It might just start with a couple charms, but then before you know it, "Ninja" (or the dbd equivalent) will be one of the survivors, lol.

If they want interesting references in their games, they need only continue to focus on horror/slasher references, not pop culture in a horror based game.

• Fibijean
    Options

I do get where you're coming from, but I'd like to think they'd be tasteful about it. The devs care about the atmosphere in DBD more than most players do - it is a big selling point, after all - so I don't think we're in any danger of having Fortnite dances or anything like that in the game. For what it's worth, I'm not that interested in meme charms myself, unless they're a reference to something DBD-related. Even then, though, it is a little immersion-breaking. But that's why they include these kinds of questions in player surveys, to gauge the community interest. If most or even a significant proportion of players don't want those kinds of charms in the game, I doubt they'll ever make it in.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

I'm happy the survey focused on charms. Personally they are the things I least care about in the rift. Things like bloodpoint boosters I think should have been in the rift the first time around.

I'm more worried about the tally screen banners and gestures part. I don't think this game needs or suits having any extra gestures.

• XRuecian
    edited March 2020
    Options

Yea but in that same survey they asked if we were interested in lobby/post game survivor emotes. Which could easily devolve into fortnite like dances if they sell well enough. Especially when they also hinted about pop culture references in the very same survey. It's just worrysome, is all. No game stays perfect forever, the devs always make some dumb decision eventually (or many many smalls ones that just add up until the game suffocates to death), i just don't want this to be the thing that ruins the flavor of the game for me.

Guess we will just have to see. Hopefully the survey takers didn't all vote in favor of it.

@CashelP14 Gestures is what i am worried about most as well. The problem is if they let in pop culture charms, they have already opened the door for pop culture anything else. Then if they also add gestures (which is bad, im already getting tbagged enough) it would just be a matter of time before half the players are doing the gangnam style dance everytime they pallet stun you, lmao.

• Fibijean
    Options

I understand the concern. I voted against lobby emotes partly for that reason. I still believe that the devs have enough integrity to not sell out to the masses completely, but all we can do for now is make it known through surveys like this one that we're not interested. At least they've given us the option to express our opinions before they do anything about it.

• Mo4ntus
    Mo4ntus Member Posts: 416
    Options

There are already unrealistic and un horror like cosmetics but I think they were referring more to things like bunny Feng

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

I think they will lessen the amount of charms in the rift next archive. The pop culture references will hopefully not be chosen.

• Plaquer
    Plaquer Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2020
    Options

Honestly I would pay for a ZubSAD charm