Guys, stop saying "gg" when you roll survivors/killer...

It's toxic.

You could just say "well played/wp" instead because it's better on both sides to say that. The only time it's okay to say "gg" is if the losing party believes it was a gg and says so first. You come off as cocky and scummy when you say it after a huge victory, especially if the game only lasted like 5 minutes. Let's not feed into toxic behavior, even at this level guys. Start from the bottom and work our way up.

Comments

• Mellow7
    Mellow7 Member Posts: 793

Lmao "GG" just adds salt to the wound no matter what game it is, I've seen people so furious at tournaments when their opponent says GG and extends their hand out for a handshake they just walk off, ofc in person and Online are two completely different things but I do agree that "GG" is sometimes not what someone wants to hear after getting curb stomped in a game.

• I have made a point over the last half year to commend Survivors I find particularly good.

I agree that using Well played instead of Good Game is way better too.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited March 2020

That's them being a bad loser though, not the other person being a bad winner. It's not the other person's fault if someone takes offense where none was given. Of course you wouldn't say gg if you know that they're going to respond badly, but if your intentions are good it's up to the other player whether they accept the handshake or storm off (metaphorically speaking, obviously).

• Lavos99z
    Lavos99z Member Posts: 117

Think of it like this: If a football team beats the other team 70 to 0 (or whatever), and then they say "good game" to them...isn't that insulting and gloaty? Isn't that kind of a huge slap in their collective face? I get that you guys think it's "sportsmanlike" but that's just not correct. I have never felt like when a bunch of people who played toxic then said "gg" to me after stomping me were doing it in an honest and sincere tone, ESPECIALLY on the survivor side. Survivor gameplay is way too easy and they honestly have no right to rub it in.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    edited March 2020

So when a killer gets 2-3 hooks in a game and we buttdance/moonwalk out of there wp is less hurtful than gg? Cause we all know he/she/it did not play well.

I'll just stick with "gg ez baby". Also sometimes gg is not adressed at the killer, rather at the other survivors. At least on pc it is more difficult to add everyone to voicechat in random lobbies than on consoles for example.

• Godot
    Godot Member Posts: 806

We are in the age where the most nontoxic post game congratulating also known as "gg/good game" is toxic.

What is this community.

Please quit lol.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited March 2020

No, it's not. Because footballers know what the phrase represents and appreciate the sentiment behind it.

Yes, if people go out of their way to make your life miserable during the match and then say "gg" at the end, it's hard to take them seriously, but that's because they have already proven that they don't care about sportsmanship, so the contrast rings false. We're not talking about those types, we're talking about people who simply play well and win, and want to metaphorically shake their opponent's hand as a show of camaraderie afterwards. If the opponent is inclined to interpret a friendly gesture as a slap in the face, that's entirely their problem.

• Lazerboy88
    Lazerboy88 Member Posts: 517

Ggwp isn’t toxic no matter the concept if the person is saying it full heartily GGEZ is toxic, jez people get so easily offended

• @Endstille maybe if you can give criticism without berating a player, you could try that instead, if they did poorly.

Keep in mind the person is probably in a bad mood, so in that situation I would try to lift them up again instead of kicking them further down.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

I see merit on both sides of the argument. On one hand, I understand it's sort of a habit for some players to type gg automatically and they say it without any ill-will regardless of the situation. On the other, gg literally means good game and I recognize it also become essentially an inane statement when it's objectively not true.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't say gg if it wasn't good game. By good game I don't mean one where I win, but one that is at least reasonably competitive.

On the same token, I don't take it personally if someone goes gg after I get steamrolled.

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

I don't care how well or badly the game went for me or for the other side, I just say good game. I had games where I lost badly, I still say it. Games where I annihilated them, still good game. If anyone takes any offense at that, then it's their problem, not mine.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

I only do that when asked for advice, sometimes i offer it but usually chat is closed after the usual rant.

• TTVfbYTigTW
    TTVfbYTigTW Member Posts: 85

saying "gg" in and of itself is not toxic, in any way shape or form. If you interpret that as toxic, that might be something for you to work on within yourself. Because, it's more likely no matter what is said, you'll take it in some warped way tbh.

• Chatkovski
    Chatkovski Member Posts: 309

I totally agree, it's one of the things that make me hate these (very often) useless chats.

When the game is obviously bad, for everyone (because of disconnections for example), or only one side (difference in skill / rank between survivors and killer for example): dropping a "GG" is just toxic.

And I see them, those streamers who gloat over the idea of saying "GG" at the end of the game because they destroyed the opponent. So unhealthy...

Personally, I usually don't say anything like that. Automatic speech, becoming ritual, often loses all conviction, sincerity, and meaning, and I believe this more harmful than polite.

• det0xxp
    det0xxp Member Posts: 121

GG has and always will be proper gaming etiquette. If you take it the wrong way that's your own damn fault.

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 544

I don't think it's toxic but damn does it feel sarcastic. A bunch of tryhard SWF come in to bully and teabag and say GG at the end just feels like taunting. A lot of times they say it to get the killer more tilted I feel and say some ######### in the chatroom to amuse them and feel even better about their BS behaviour. I keep the chat window open and only engage if I feel the game was an even match and everyone did well. Other times I just keep it closed and move on. I really don't care what people think about the way I decide to play a game I paid for.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

GG to your post. Some killers deserve to get gg'd after getting rolled, depending on their playstyle.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Why would someone say "GG" in a taunting or cocky way when it's perfectly allowed to say ggez or even straight up tell someone they're hot garbage at the game? Dick move, but not against any rules whatsoever.

Sorry, I've been saying GG after matches in all sorts of multiplayer games for what, almost 20 years now? I'm not gonna stop because someone looks way too deep into it.

• Plaquer
    Plaquer Member Posts: 197

Well its just common courtesy but I understand where you're coming from. Although I feel like if you have a bad game, you're going to feel bad no matter what the other side says, so at least showing the other side respect by saying gg is the best you can do.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

Not trying to be cocky, but I'm going to say gg regardless, and if someone gets salty that's their fault for getting in their feelings because I'm showing good sportsman ship

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

gg ez noob killah

• Ancheri
    Ancheri Member Posts: 157

So... I have to lose in order to say gg?

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

I always send a gg. Or if they were really good I send GG WP. But I would see the Well Played as more of an insult if I didn't play well than GG. As in organized sports , you line up and slap hands and say Good game. It is just basic sportsmanship, regardless of how the game played out. Like in Football when the team shake hands at the end of the game.

However if you completely stomped someone, I wouldn't tell them well played, because that wasn't the case. And perhaps that could be seen as offensive.

Either way I think perhaps we could all relax just a bit. Are we now at the stage in this game where even a GG is toxic?

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 815

I agree with you. I only understand "gg" as "Good Game", not as common courtesy and when somebody says it after a game, that was obviously not good for one side or both (because of disconnects, a mori, a heavily survivor sided map, whatever) it feels like a way of rubbing it in to me. Maybe I see it that way because I haven't played many multi-player-games, but idk, I think the best is to just say nothing if I won clearly. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive, idk.

But I've seen a post on this forum, where somebody encountered the same Killer twice in a row, first round the killer 3k or 4k'ed and said gg, next game he only killed one and complained, so there are definitly people, who only say it, when they win, which is an argument against the common courtesy thing, atleast imo.

• honestlybaffled
    honestlybaffled Member Posts: 175

Took the words out of me.

I can't believe that "gg" is now toxic.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

The way I see it:

gg = 👍🏻

ggez = 👊🏼

• SquidFacedMan
    SquidFacedMan Member Posts: 148

Maybe you should play some offline games for a while if you think gg is toxic. You're literally tilting yourself over nothing.

• Lavos99z

Nah, I'm just saying that being a cocky survivor isn't cool and it's not fun for the opposing person to sit there having a bunch of entitled survivors barrage you with "gg". It comes off very egotistical. I play both and I just don't like seeing it either way. Be more respectful. If it was a bad game, don't say it was a good game. If the other person obviously got rolled, either say "well played" or just move on. It isn't hard.

• Lavos99z

Saying "gg" isn't toxic. Saying "gg" when it wasn't is. Rolling a killer and then barraging them with "gg gg gg gg" isn't funny or cool. Rubbing it in is toxic. Saying "gg" when it's a fine game and no one did anything salty, that's okay. If it was a gg and they were the losers, all the better. You're not taking this the right way when you think that way.

• Lavos99z

I'm not realy taking it the wrong way, the opposite actually. Apparently not many people take into consideration the implication of saying it at the exact wrong moment. A killer who stomps a team of survivors and rubs it in by saying "GG" is not being respectful, he's being duplicitous. He knows it wasn't a good game for you. The reverse applies as well. If it is obvious the other side did NOT have a gg, don't say it. A "wp" and a move on are fine.

• kaylawake
    kaylawake Member Posts: 15

Gg sounds sarcastic af at all times. I always have to type out something along the lines of “genuinely, good game”. Or if I died and the killer played fair at least I will thank them for that. Gg rarely means gg.

• DAMNFASTDEAD
    DAMNFASTDEAD Member Posts: 251

I don't think it's toxic. I rather think it's redundant.

I think it's more meaningful the way people devote their precious time to other people.

A "gg" is meaningless to me. A "Thank you for your time. I hope you had as much fun as I did." is more meaningful to me.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

The only reason I agree with OP on some level is because often times, I "lose" a game because of a bug/hiccup in the game, the servers, or my internet connection. If I'm downed through a pallet when the killer is at least 2 meters away, and I was about to escape, I of course will be salty if the killer says "gg", because from my perspective, it clearly wasn't, and I see the killer as claiming the game's inconsistencies as part of his/her skill. The same applies for hits not registering in the end game. I, of course, understand that not everyone thinks this much about a "gg", and I don't blame anyone for giving me a "gg" in a particularly "bg", but I thought my perspective should be shared.

I always try to say "gl" rather than "gg" just out of respect that the other party may have had a terrible time that prevented them from enjoying themselves/the killer's self. If it's clear that both parties had put forth their all and/or were content with the outcome of the trial, I'll say "gg" or "wp". Even so, I think to myself every time, Is DbD a "good game"?

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698
    edited March 2020

gg = ok

GG = not ok

Am I the only one? I feel like saying GG is to just tilt other people and rub in the fact that they won.

Also, I totally agree with this. Sometimes I will get hit through 20 pallets and the killer will say gg wp and I am just sitting there on a mountain of salt because the game screwed me over.