For The People drains Inner Strength

Options
starpilotsix
starpilotsix Member Posts: 203

Summary:

If you've already cleansed a totem and then use For The People to heal another survivor, Inner Strength deactivated.

Description:

If you've already cleansed a totem and have it saved for self-healing, then use For The People to heal another survivor, your saved totem/perk charge (sometimes?) disappears as though you used it and you need to get another totem to activate it again. Theoretically this could be a visual-only bug (the perk light deactivated but healing self is possible, I never actually checked that).

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Play a game with both For The People and Inner Strength equipped as perks (I did this on Zarina, with Head On and Red Herring also equipped, I only have FTP on her so this is really the only build I've tried it on)

2. Cleanse a totem

3. Do not use up the Inner Strength stored totem on a healing. Ideally, don't get hit at all.

4. While healthy, find another survivor and heal them instantly using your For The People perk.

5. Watch as your Inner Strength perk stops lighting up.

6. Search for another totem so you can heal yourself once your Broken State wears off like you originally planned to do when you made the build. :(

I'm not 100% sure it occurs every time but I am sure it's occurred in multiple different games... at first I thought I just lost track but the last few times I deliberately tested it.

Occurs on:

Steam

2 votes

Pending · Last Updated

Comments

• philomela
    philomela Member Posts: 34
    Options

I think it's a bug with Broken status effect. I just played against Plague and Inner Strength did not heal me when I cleansed a totem to store a 'charge' and light the perk up before becoming broken.

I was hoping to make this the build, part of the reason I bought the Stranger Things pack was just to use Inner Strength and For the People.

Needs to be fixed. We have enough perks now that we actually need synergistic builds like this. Having to cleanse totems and then hide in a locker is a big enough time and playstyle investment.

• captain_murphy
    captain_murphy Member Posts: 102
    Options

This is a visual issue on the perk Inner Strength. I use For the People and Inner Strength together a lot.

While you're broken, Inner Strength doesn't light up. But when the broken effect goes away, Inner Strength should light back up again and you should be able to use it as normal even if you popped a totem prior to For the People.

Hard to say if it is really a bug or not because Broken prevents Inner Strength from activating, but there's no real visual way to represent Inner Strength is unavailable other than dimming the perk.

• philomela
    edited March 2020
    Options

Glad to hear that it doesn't permanently deactivate the perk, as it seems to do visually.

The perk as I read it says that you cannot 'prime it' (activate it) via a totem if you're broken. It doesn't say anything about the perk being deactivated later if you're broken (even just temporarily) or not working if you try to use it via a locker.

Maybe the perk should be changed so that it either heals you if you're not broken or removes broken status effect if you are broken.

Or they need to rewrite the perk text so that it says it perk is inactive whenever you're broken. And honestly, you should still be able to cleanse totems and 'prime' the perk (gain a charge basically) while broken, even if you can't get healed in a locker.

• philomela
    edited November 2020
    Options

As my above post, this still seems to still be an issue/has started being an issue again. Sometimes, Inner Strength remains active after using For the People, you can get in a locker and heal. Other (most?) times, For the People deactivates Inner Strength until you're unbroken.

This is not how the perk reads and it's not how the perk should function, since you had to jump through hoops and put yourself at risk to even get the perk activated, then use For the People to break yourself and put yourself at risk again, and now you get punished with a huge timer after doing all that? That's nonsense, and makes a very niche altruistic perk and playstyle far weaker than it should be.

Sometimes things like this just make me wonder if they even want people to use anything outside the most popular half-dozen perks.

This is one of the few cases of actually synergistic perk mechanics making cool build-around gameplay, and it would be nice if it worked better OR the perk text was corrected ("Inner strength becomes deactivated whenever it successfully triggers, and temporarily deactivates if you become broken"), and the broken timer on For the People was reduced a bit. Either or.