Would Open Handed be OP

gatsby
gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

If the perk doubled aura reading ranges? But maybe didn't stack anymore. 32m killer range Kindred. 72m range Bond. 64m range Better Together. 40m range Windows. Now that could be very strong.

Keep in mind that Open Handed is essentially a perk add-on so using Open Handed takes up two perk slots just for Aura reading, which already has a decent amount of counters. I just feel like you should really be able to immediately tell the difference when using a perk. Right now Open Handed just doesn't compete well for a slot considering how strong and game changing the competition for slots is right now (IW, Exhuastion, DS, UB, BT etc)

Comments

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

If I remember correctly; Kindred caps at 24 meters I believe.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Open Handed could use a buff but double is too strong I think. Maybe 8/10/12m instead of 4/6/8. Could even cap how it assists other survivors at 8m or so if people think that's a problem.

If not just a numbers increase maybe it could affect Spine Chill and Premonition as well.

• DeadByDedicated
    DeadByDedicated Member Posts: 134

Doubled aura range would probably make object of obsession even worse to deal with since nearly 150m of aura reading can cover most maps. Since open-handed stacks on itself you could have some builds that let you know where everybody is. Also if you have detectives hunch and a map with open-handed you would probably be able to track everything on the map.

• DeadByMittens
    DeadByMittens Member Posts: 60

Okay, but who really uses those two perk? It's very rare to even see it in game. Also, you would need to be on the hook for it to even work. You're putting yourself in danger just to use two perks. I understand it's good but it's not that good.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Kindred still works for you personally if someone else is on the hook. If you happen to be on the hook yourself, it affects all other Survivors. No matter who would be on the hook, you get to see 32 meters of aura reading from the Killer. That is a LOT.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

I also think Kindred is capped by itself. And if you double the range, you would not only remove stackable effect, I would suggest that it just increases your personal aura reading. I would prefer to just slightly increase range or add 1/2/3 seconds to stuff like Rancor, Dark Sense and Alert

• DeadByMittens

Again, it's not really a popular perk in the game. BTW kindred by default is 16 meters and adding one open-handed (which is +8 on aura reading abilities) makes it 24 meters. Not 32, unless you have someone else put on open-handed. Then it would be 32 meters. Also, the perk becomes useless to SWF because they have mics most of the time. I know that PC players have game chat and consoles don't, but who are you going to convince to put on a ######### build of you...

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

O mighty Peanits, why not give Open Handed an additional effect?

Survivors within 8 meters to you see all auras you see.

Once out of range, this effect persists for 15 seconds.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

This thread is about OP's idea of buffing Open-Handed to double aura reading ranges. Double 16 is 32.

Also, Kindred is now a very popular perk, particularly for solos. It has been ever since it got buffed.

• Awkward_Fiend
    Awkward_Fiend Member Posts: 687

I use Kindred because it also allows me to see my teammates while someone else is hooked. It's extremely useful, and tacking on Open Handed makes the killer aura reading extremely potent.

• DeadByMittens

I'm talking about using kindred and open-handed in a game, not just kindred alone.

• Awkward_Fiend

... and tacking on Open Handed makes the killer aura reading extremely potent.

• DeadByMittens
    edited April 2020

Okay, The only buff open-handed needs in my opinion is having its own aura reading ability.

Post edited by DeadByMittens on
  • Awkward_Fiend
    edited March 2020

Kindred honestly doesn't need a buff, it's pretty strong at the moment. It doesn't deserve a nerf either, it's perfectly fine as is.

I can see a buff for Open Handed, but it's one of the few perks that buffs could easily tip it way over the top, as the effect is stackable.

• GraveHunter
    GraveHunter Member Posts: 328

Wait, Open handed stacks with other users with open handed? :O

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,866

I think open handed is fine where it is. It's not meta nor should it be. But it does have it's place in the world. Don't forget that the player bringing the perk isn't the only one benefiting from it. All the survivors aura reading is increased. If it was self only buff then I would be inclined to agree. I would even say that as long as it isn't the killer's aura that it could be unlimited range without issue. If you want to give up 2 perks slots for unlimited range bond then I'd be good with it.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

I think it'd honestly be better if instead of doubling the range, it let's you use other survivor's aura perks if you're close enough to them. For example you have open handed and someone you're on a gen with has better together, suddenly you get the better together bonus too (if someone is downed see the aura of all survivors). Or it'd work for empathy, aftercare, bond, kindred, dark sense, maps, the list goes on. It'd have some cool interactions and would be a great perk imo. Obviously there'd be an exception for mettle of man, that'd be a bit strong. Maybe OoO too.

Also could work in reverse to make it a better solo perk, not something for swf. If you have kindred and open handed, then people near you get the kindred info too.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

Considering that it would waste a perk slot I highly doubt that even infinite aura reading would make it op. Is Empathy op? Why not? Because aura reading is not op.

Spine Chill may become strong, but infinite aura reading may cause unhealthy paranoia.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,533
    edited March 2020

I actually love that. It essentially lets you share perks. So Open Handed could let you see the Killer with your teammate's Alert etc.

It'd need a decent range though maybe 20m so you could share a perk like Kindred to coordinate a save even if the hooked person doesn't have the perk.

Also very thematic with Ace because it's like a Wild Card because you never know what you'll get when you load into a solo queue match