Advice on what to do after matches like this?

I'm a relatively new killer (started 2 or 3 months ago). I've played asymmetrical games before and really enjoy them. I actually find that Dead By Daylight is the one I've enjoyed the most so far. But matches like this are so common, and they always leave me feeling like ######### afterwards. I don't know why, because I don't feel this way with any other game. I can never tell whether it's the game, myself, or the other players that make me feel so #########, but it's always there after games like this. I only got a kill here because I tunneled the ######### out of the survivor at the end.

Any advice on what to do?

Comments

• Kwikwitted
    Kwikwitted Member Posts: 641

Well first thing I would laugh at them for burning two red keys when you only need one for the group, apparently coordinating in their pre-lobby was too hard.

But seriously.

First, realize that it can always happen like that, bad games are part of the deal, particularly as killer where there is no safety net if you aren't at your best. I get my butt kicked at Rank 1 at least once a day by really good survivors, and I make a bunch of mistakes and I wanna blame everything under the sun except what was actually to blame (my own bad play of course).

Second, try to pick up at least one or two things you could improve on for the next match, did any chases go longer than they should have, did you patrol generators in a way that was efficient? What about your perks? Did you get a lot of value from them? If not, what should you swap out and what for? Would consulting a guide be worthwhile?

Best of luck in the fog.

• Jopium
    Jopium Member Posts: 39

Man truly if you want to get better at the game you gotta move as the killer and go to gens and stuff man it will make you better overall camping and tunneling only works with survivors who only care about rescuing and not really escaping. If I see you camping which I will I run kindred I’m going to make sure 3 gens pop then hopefully switch places with the person on the hook let the other 2 gens get popped open the gate and get saved and 3 to 4 survive that’s a easy game man I run duos only man if I had a team I’ll be escaping more that’s why I run kindred hoping others do the right thing.

• undeadcookie
    undeadcookie Member Posts: 198

I do neither of those things. The only reason I tunneled at this point was because it was the endgame collapse.

I can usually pop 2-4 iridescents against players within my range, I'm moreso asking how to not feel like ######### whenever you get matched up against players who are of a much higher rank.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

Either push through after this game and que for another one, use that feeling of.... hatred against survivors in the next game.

Or just switch to survivor for a game or two. Or take a break from dbd.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Any advice on what to do?

Yes, hoping that devs fix machtmaking anytime soon. You should not be supposed to play against redranks when you are rank 10.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Why do you even feel bad if the other player were better? Thats how every game works, those who are better should win.

• Dolls
    Dolls Member Posts: 395

Do you play on Switch? I feel like I've seen you. :)

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

I take a walk. Seriously it helps.

• Chicagopimp2019
    Chicagopimp2019 Member Posts: 458
  • Progamer888
    Progamer888 Member Posts: 230

You understand, that you shouldn't be against red ranks player when you're rank ten, right?

• mikemccracken450
    mikemccracken450 Member Posts: 2

I've been playing red ranks since rank 13 I think. I've had to stop playing either for a few hours or the rest of the day and do something else. I started this game in early February now rank 8, 1 pip from 7, and each time I lose to a swf or a lot of red ranks I learn from their movement to predict future opponents behaviors. I got a 4k on a red rank team (4,2,2,2) with 31.2k points (Oni Main), after taking a couple hour break after raging over a loss to a purple rank team. You just gotta give the game some space and continue to learn, because the more you start to learn about loops and other tactics, the less you fail at stopping them early. Good luck friend

• KrispiesChicken
    KrispiesChicken Member Posts: 171

Typically in pre game lobbies you can see when they are holding a key, when that happens I run an ebony Mori. Key=Mori. Anyways other than that, the matchmaking is ######### and the DEVs solution is to just hide the ranks., I've played killer a lot and gotten so used to games against red ranks that doesn't phase me anymore. Just play normally

• HerbieHind
    HerbieHind Member Posts: 28

You shouldn't feel bad losing to players who have a lot more experience than you. Matchmaking in this game is a joke.

Good luck in your future matches though!

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

@Kwikwitted's advice of reflecting on your gameplay and trying to figure out what you could have done better is good.

Aside from that, there are a couple of things I would do in that situation. First, put it in perspective: it's one match, and it's only ten minutes of your life so even if it sucks, at least you don't have to suffer for long. Secondly, be realistic and kind to yourself: you shouldn't feel too bad about that loss, because everyone in that game was, in theory, more skilled than you, and two of them you shouldn't even have been matched with, so a crushing defeat was to be expected in that situation, and the fact that you even got one kill under the circumstances is encouraging. Plus, three DS, two Adrenalines, two Sprint Bursts and a Dead Hard, not to mention two keys and a syringe, is a challenging setup for anyone to go against. Just like as survivor it would be a rare achievement for everyone to escape against an Ebony Mori, as killer getting a 4K against two keys would be very unusual.

So basically, think about what you could improve on, but also acknowledge to yourself that the odds were stacked against you there, so the loss was not entirely down to your lack of skill, and take comfort in that fact.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

Ever consider that the one with no key-addons found it during the match?

• Xx_Daniel_xX69
    Xx_Daniel_xX69 Member Posts: 214

Listen to what others have said but I saw you were playing GF and I really enjoy him but I never use bitter murmer on him. I'm sure since you said your new you don't have it but if you can get BBQ & chili its way better. Other than that maybe swap sloppy for a different perk or try to stack something with sloppy like thana or nurse's calling. Main advice tho is to take deep breaths and know its not on you and that you did really well considering the odds against you. If we had proper matchmaking system this wouldn't be such an issue in my eyes.

• Chickenbrains
    Chickenbrains Member Posts: 23

Stop playing killer until they fix gen times.

• Sweet_Feng
    Sweet_Feng Member Posts: 72

That's not even on pc so if that wasn't swf, what I'm thinking they couldn't coordinate right. But okay

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Find a new game with better matchmaking.

• undeadcookie
    undeadcookie Member Posts: 198

Yeah, I know Bitter Murmur isn't too great, I just don't really have anything else. I have Discordance and Thanatophobia unlocked as teachables but the Bloodweb refuses to give them to me as Ghostface. I'm pretty close to getting Nurse's Calling too.

• ColaGhost
    ColaGhost Member Posts: 36

Dust yourself off, & teabag your way to victory next game.

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636

Matchmaking is questionable in this game, if you have any friends try to play custom games and practice chasing

• Chicagopimp2019
    Chicagopimp2019 Member Posts: 458
    edited March 2020

Sure...for about 2 seconds. Then I remembered that items you find during the Match dont show up as items brought in during the match scoreboard. C'mon man. That is DBD 101.

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581

Yes but usually there's not a wide margin like there can be here. Like if I win a match of COD,it's not because I played 6000 hours and the other guy played for 3. Some of these reds have played an insane amount of time,watched tons of videos,know all the tricks,are running meta etc etc. Then they possible go against a killer that just picked the game up. I'm average to slightly above average,and I can get mad on occasion too. When I'm outplayed it's to a ridiculous degree. That's gotta be way more frustrating to a newer player.

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581

I slightly disagree,depending on the situation. Bitter Murmur can be really helpful for any killer,as a newer player. Heck,sometimes I run it with Monitor and Abuse and get free hits as people literally run right into me lol. Can also see if you are getting rushed by a group. I run it on my Ghostface with his teachables. Meh. I'm kinda partial to it though. Maybe not recommended,but there's worse things to run. I have the same problem with his bloodweb too. Made it to 50 and barely have anything to work with. I don't even think all his teachables are level 2. Most people are giving good advice though.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951

Oop, found the survivor main. "It's ok to be ridiculously mismatched, git gud"

• MasonTGaming
    MasonTGaming Member Posts: 10

Pray

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131

Move on