Is the risk of lagswitchers worth returning to PTP?

Options

Even though there is no shortage of topics and elements for people to disagree on in this game, I think the one thing we can mostly agree on is that the dedicated servers leave a lot to be desired.

Huntress hatchets, exhaustion perks, lunge hits, and so on, we've all been shortchanged by these servers at one point. While the DC penalty is a plus when correctly executed, the dedicated servers have been more of a problem than a solution.

So I would like to ask the community, in your personal opinion, do you think removing the DC penalty and potentially exposing yourself to lagswitchers is worth going back to PTP networking?

Comments

• Hunter__
    Hunter__ Member Posts: 53
    Options

Yes. Before I would get 1 or maybe 2 lagswitchers in a long gaming session.

Now it's almost every game dedicated screws me up in some way.

I'll never support people dcing but the penalties shouldn't be in place in the first place b/c there's too many consistent problems where ppl get dc'd by the game being broken and a penalty is forced on them when it's not their fault.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

WEll, the truth is, some people will then complain about ptp-connections, because the killer hosts, and still hits are registered on his end. Killers will complain less i guess, because every inbalance works in their favor then.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

The thing is, complaining about questionable Hits is most of the time the Killers Connection, regardless if P2P or Dedicated Servers. But with P2P the Survivor would at least know if the Killer has a wonky Internet Connection (if it spikes during the Lobby) or is using a VPN. With Dedicated Servers, I have 35 Ping. But that Hillbilly that hit me while being at the other side of a Wall clearly did not have 35 Ping. But with P2P I would at least know what I can expect and search for a better Connection.

@Topic:

I actually made a poll about that:

And while it is close, more people prefer Dedicated Servers. I would have expected a different result, but I guess players will not come up and write a Thread a la "I love Dedicated Servers", but will report issues with them.

Personally, I hate them with a passion, mostly because they do not fix the problems of P2P and add a lot of Bugs (Dead Hard, Killer Powers, just as an example).

• RobMeister88
    RobMeister88 Member Posts: 351
    Options

Same end result, at least for xbox (don't know how ps4 fares). Without dead by dedication, we would suffer from lag switching wraiths and bubbas from time to time in green ranks (thank goodness I got out of there). We'd get hit from 20 meters away, either that or we'd constantly teleport backwards. When dedicated by daylight came to xbox, we'd get hit through windows even though we were already 5m away, running, with 65-80 ping. Can't believe GOW3 had better dedicated servers with nearly everything outdated, and on a 360. And they still run very smoothly to this day. Yet a simple cat and mouse sandbox can't even have its bugs fixed consistently.

And although it's very very rare to get lag switchers anymore (at least in red ranks), the most killers I see lag switching in red ranks are Ghostfaces for some reason. 2-3 within the span of 3 months.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

By my experience with P2P from Central Europe, I run on a regular base into killers with a green lobby ping who had a wonky connection during the entire trial. And I'm talking about slow/delayed window vaults, unhokings etc. And most of the time they came from specific country (Probably bad internet in general).

Since dedicated servers those issues are mostly gone. Yes, there are unfair hits, probably coming from those killers. But I don't have the burden anymore to run into a game, where I can barely act or move as a survivor. As a killer, well things just feel a little bit buggier. Not working grabs etc. Still I prefer Dedicated over P2P. They were the right move forward. I just hope most issues with the servers can be fixed.