Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How to be a fun killer

All the survivors out there, tell me how to play like a fun killer. What do you most enjoy in a fair good killer match?

Comments

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 651

Good advices, thank you very much! However, I did not quite understand what you meant by "You actually don't have to kill anyone to pip, especially on a killer like legion who racks up chaser for free."

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

It's very easy.Don't camp or tunnel immediately if it isn't necessary, slugging is perfectly fine though.

Much interaction between both sides and everyone trying their best without using too strong things (e.g moris and keys) define a fun game.

• Con_Inc
    Con_Inc Member Posts: 137

Not camping or tunneling is all I have. If I’m dumb enough to pull a survivor off a hook in front of you then feel free to swat me down like a fly. Idc if I get slugged and if you do decide to Mori me at least let me be able to see it good. I know some ppl do moris from dailies or rancor so I don’t hate on them that much I just like watching.

• chase131119
    chase131119 Member Posts: 839
    edited April 2020

Don't camp and tunnel unless it is necessary, if there's five gens left and you're tunneling right off hook then that's no fun. If there's four survivors and two gens left and the newly unhooked person is an easy target and on death hook, by all means go for it.

Don't camp at the beginning of the game with 5 gens, that's just boring for both the killer and survivor. The only time I see camping acceptable is during the endgame and you're just trying to secure your kill or there's a survivor just circling around your hook.

Don't use ebony mori... stupid OP and shouldn't be a thing (just like keys). The only time I like using it is when I've hooked at least all survivors once.

Don't slug unless there's a benefit with it, like slugging out DS or there's a group of survivors. Slugging builds are just boring and toxic.

There's not really any OP add-ons, the most OP build that needs changed is iri head + infantry belt in my opinion. Just play some fun builds.

Lastly, don't be toxic...

No, I'm not saying this all from a survivor standpoint because I want to have fun games, this is just what I personally follow as a killer because I like the survivors to have fun. Sure, sometimes I'll throw an ebony mori to spice things up or put on a questionable add-on, but not every game. More like a once a month thing.

• Dzeikor
    Dzeikor Member Posts: 704

Imagine this game actually need killers,the audacity!

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Don't explicitly "play for salt" and... yeah, that's pretty much it. I'm not very demanding 😄

That's directed at players in general and not just killers of course.

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678

Cause you can get a 0k pip if you get enough emblems in categories other than devout, depending on your rank. Picking legion almost guarantees an iridescent chaser emblem. So assuming you are just running around stabbing people, regressing gens with ruin or pop, and generally keeping survivors injured you can still rank up in the game even though you didn't actually kill anyone off. But obviously, you should kill people off.

If you really want to play nice, play survivor.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

As already mentioned, just don’t camp or tunnel.

you will face some toxic scum that won’t appreciate it though and that will try to „bully“ you, ignore them as best you can. Don’t let them get you down so that you let your anger out at the other survivors that don’t play like this.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946
    edited April 2020

No camping

No tunneling

No super try hard build's especially on the front of add ons

No mori's

No general toxic behavior but that much is obvious, like for example no slugging all survivors and just letting them bleed to death on the floor.

This is how I play killer myself, I dont use Add Ons at all but you do whatever you need on that front, within limits.

Just think to yourself: "what makes a fun challenging fair match?"

Even then some survivors will claim you did camp or tunnel but that is just being a sore loser really.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,839

Survivor Main here, and I mainly play survivor.

How to be a fun killer is pretty simple in my mind, as long as I'm not getting mori'd off first hook at 4-5 gens that killer is fun. I also don't see the point of a killer letting the full team bleedout on the floor because at that point the killer has won and should end the match sooner rather than later.

Other than that I don't really mind what killer's do as long as I'm not knocked out of the match almost immediately by a mori.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    edited April 2020

Don't cheat, then it's a fair match.

Edit: "Fair" except for all the balance issues, but that's not what this thread is about.

• venom12784
    venom12784 Member Posts: 666

Wait there are killers I thought this was just a lobby simulator

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Let them win chases, pallet stun, never hook, never slug, and watch them teabag out the gate, then lambaste yourself for being a terrible human being, and how amazing they are at survivor. Rinse and repeat.

• Exiled1990
    Exiled1990 Member Posts: 18

I think a fun killer is someone that has consistent and broad interaction and pressure against all members of the opposing team. This of course isn't always to be viable for winning games, but for me killers that can put aside the anger towards the dull af survivor objectives (m1 sim) and enjoy the hunt and chase aspects of DBD are the most enjoyable to face.

It's a shame some actual killers (characters) disregard direct interaction for the monotony of extending time (Legion, Doc et al) instead of sticking to the dangerous, yet immensely fun and rewarding experiences of facing killers such as Billy, Oni, Nurse, Huntress and co.

• kingoftheirish1992
    kingoftheirish1992 Member Posts: 159

That way I play like there are no civility or play with survivors rules. In the end killers set the rules and pace of any game.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

And it's an attitude like this that will ultimately kill this game. Set the pace, by all means. I'll slow the game to a crawl and bump off survivors when I get bored or just kill them if they try and push me.

Play some survivor. Learn their struggles. Go up against campers and tunnellers and see how much fun YOU have. It'll also make you a better killer since you know how they think.

That's also for the OP here. Play some survivor and you'll know what you want to have fun. I like a stealthy "Strike and Fade" approach when playing Pig if the game allows for it.

• kingoftheirish1992

I do play survivor get run down a lot but never ask for a free win like working over killer with one good run to let others escape. Self care, bond, kindred, and opened handed is my current build on Ash. Make you work hard knowing you have no safe out.

• kingoftheirish1992

I do and I get run down a lot but I never expect the killer to be nice. Self care, bond, kindred, and opened handed is my current build on Ash. Game is not one on one it's four on one. Even as survivor I play for me then maybe I'll save my team if it is worth the BP but when I unhook always take agro to let others get distant.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

How to be a fun killer? Ignore the survivors and play how you want. That's my 2 cents :P

• PigMainClaudette

I'm not saying to be nice, but be respectful.

Being nice as killer is giving the last guy hatch after a DC within the first minute and slaughtering the survivors with 4 gens left to so. Being respectful as killer is as simple as not tunnelling someone off hook or camping them into oblivion just because easy kill. Small difference.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Generally just don't camp (unless there's no gens left) and don't tunnel needlessly. That makes a fun killer in my book.

• xGodSendDeath
    xGodSendDeath Member Posts: 320

You can play by the survivor rulebook all you want, but they're still going to flashlight click you, noise spam you, teabag you, and tell you gg ez baby killer and a bunch of slurs/curses. Just learn when it's tactically smart to tunnel/camp/slug to win the game. otherwise, just rack up the points. use whatever perks and add ons you want. survivors cry about NOED constantly but they have no problem bringing in 4 people with BT, DH, DS, and Unbreakable with a red key while sending you to mt. ormond

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

Honestly, it's not worth it. Play the way YOU want to play. No matter what you do, SOMEBODY is going to get pissed. That's just how this community is, on BOTH sides

• xTalon32
    xTalon32 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2020

Basically don't use anything to your advantage against survivors and they'll consider you fun. Especially if you let them loop you for days, get hit with pallets and blinds.

If it doesn't allow survivors to "survive" it's not fun.

Like this -

• kingoftheirish1992

For what it's worth I respect your position in the discussion but I feel in general survivors that don't play killer will never show the respect your ask me to show unconditionally. I feel their in it to win only and rag on killer over a bad game is just a bonus if they can get it.

• PigMainClaudette

I feel the same way about people who only play one side, with a rare exception or two.

As a whole, the player base needs to start considering and playing BOTH sides before we can start complaining about issues like perk/power balance, tunnelling, camping, items and add-ons.

That and my literal first game I was facecamped out of the game within the first minute. Probably has something to do with my opinions on the matter.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    edited April 2020

I am reading a lot of these comments and... It seems to play a "fun" killer you basically have to let the survivors win??? Unhook for free? No camping tunneling i get but, let everyone go out cause u can 0k pip? No moris cause they are mean and bad? Literally let survivors pallet stun and win chases..... So to play a "fun" killer you have to basically sit there and do nothing while survivors win? Im confused cause thats what its looking like, if thats the main view point then i kinda dont wanna play killer anymore :/

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    edited April 2020

Just don't tunnel right off the hook unless you have to, and don't use busted stuff. I think thats what everyone asks from killers when they play survivor.

• Raulillo
    Raulillo Member Posts: 179

It depends on what survivors you are facing. You have to give them what they want. If they want a challenge, tryhard.

If they want pure fun, unexpected funny things always work like shy miers, trap farm with trapper, party at the disco with the hag, there are tons of ways to do it.

• FellowKillerMain
    FellowKillerMain Member Posts: 858

Before, it used to be that you shouldn't slug, tunnel or camp, with the intention of making the game last longer. Every once in a while you would encounter groups that would be toxic which changed the rules to... anything goes.

But personally, since they've removed Ruin I don't follow any sort of rules anymore, at least at red ranks. My goal is to win, as any killer's goal should be; it doesn't have to be, you can do what you want. But there just isn't the space to play by the survivor rulebook anymore. If I have to slug, I will, and I will camp if the exit gates are open, even as bubba in the basement. I think everyone should try to avoid tunneling and camping for the most part, unless someone gives you a reason to; e.g. spamming quick vaults while out of the killers sight; flashlight clicking and other BMs done to the extreme. But, they're all fair game, because they're in the game. What makes those things unfun is that it secures kills, and no survivor enjoys dying.

But, even though we consider all of these rules, there's always one thing I come back to... I don't think I've ever had survivors intentionally repair gens slowly to make sure that I have a good time. Or let me hook them a few times to make myself feel good. So, I don't know why anyone should feel compelled to do those sorts of things for them.

• cipherbay_
    cipherbay_ Member Posts: 379

Get hit with every pallet, loop the shack while the pallet is down. Stand still while picking a survivor up to get blinded, don't use add ons. Don't use weapons unless the gates are open and they are waiting for you to hit them. No offerings unless BPS and don't use your power. That's about it.

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650
    edited April 2020

Know that at least 1/2 of the commentary in here that says "let them pallet stun" and "do nothing and let them win" are killer main trolls. Real survivor mains are not looking for free wins, just a small amount of decency.

To the OP:

I see a lot of people stating the obvious, don't camp and tunnel, a given. I personally don't have any issue with mori's. Like keys they are not super common and the yellow ones are nearly useless just like broken keys. I kind of like the animations too.

I play killer about 20% of the time. So being a killer main I play "nice" killer most of the time. I go in trying not to kill people and work the objectives. I try to hook everyone once early on, keep track of who has and hasn't been hooked, kick gens, break pallets, 2nd hooks, hit it and quit it chases. I do run thano and ruin to slow things down and maximize my points. If I am not going to kill many folks I need to get the points somewhere. With this strategy I leave nearly every match with 'ruthless' or 'merciless' killer and pip. I will slug people if I accidently tunnel or they have been hooked twice already and leave the area so a team member can pop them up. I never tunnel or camp. And always have BP in the high 20's and so do the survivors in my matches. Win/Win. SO I never get spicy post-chat or DCs. This is an extreme way to play killer, but I really enjoy it and it is low stress.

As a survivor I do not expect to get a killer like I play killer. I will respect your play and win if I was not camped or tunneled. Even if you 4k with NoEd, I take partial responsibility because clearly totems should have been a higher priority. If I get mori'd without the hot tunnel, ok. But everyone wants to be able to play. So just not basement camping the 1st hook to death will go a long way toward the match being enjoyable for both sides.

• p1ague
    p1ague Member Posts: 101

How would you know, though? I have had it happen blatantly, where they came back and pointed at the hook then stood under it, but that was once ever. But generally when I "throw the killer a bone" it just takes the form of taking a break from the gens to sightsee, maybe look for totems for a few...

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

The best way to be a fun killer is to not play killer...

• domai36
    domai36 Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2020

It's interesting because camp/tunnel play probably doesn't actually net you much more BP. Yes less survivors will escape and less gens will get done on average, but the scoring system will be stacked against you to counteract it.

Because that's the case - for the greater good I don't think camp/tunnel play or busted things like moris should be used generally. Especially at weaker ranks.

To give more detailed input - I think you have to approach every game with a fresh mindset and tailor your playstyle around what's happening in the game. If I am off to a strong enough start, I play like this - I will hook anyone twice, even if it's back to back. If I encounter them again while still holidng a big advantage, I'll almost always slug them and leave them completely to be picked up. That way I am still slowing the game down but I am letting them have another shot. If a player is getting hit that often, it's honestly probably not too hard to get them later.

Other than that, I only play as sweaty as I need to - to get a good score. I also never stall the endgame to try to secure hatch. I will always hook the second last survivor without hesitating and then make it a fair race for it. The game is best if everyone has fun - I want to do well and have a good time myself but as the killer more than an individual survivor - you have the power in a game , especially if you are ahead to be a sort of dungeon master. Bonus points if you can scare them :)

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

As a general sense no camping or instant tunnel, let everyone have a chance to play

Just realise that you can't please anyone. Some survivors will only regard you a nice killer if you let them win while others would be insulted by that pity

In the end play how it feels good for you

• Respectfulnancymain
    Respectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816

Just dont be toxic

• ohgod
    ohgod Member Posts: 23

Hex: devoir hope(enough said)

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    edited April 2020

Just as a kickoff: how many of you survivors (doesn't matter if main, 50/50 or occassionally) ever cared about the fun of a killer? Did you ever offer free hooks after a pretty bad killer chase or 4 gen run? Or even a free sacrifice when the killer apparently had a really bad game? During old ruin days, did you ever spawn next to a lit totem, thinking "Hm, let's just push through the first gen at least, before I cleanse this"? From my experience, 99% of survivors give a badword about killer experience, and more likely 50% of survivors take advantage of bad killer games, starting to t-bag pallets and exit gates and flaming the chat with "baby killer". Just maybe the first step would be to play fair overall, before requesting fair games from others.

Next, I would like to ask for "what is tunneling?". Camping and proxy camping is pretty clear, but people yell tunneling pretty fast. In the first place, there is a reason why the wording "unsafe unhook" exists on the Benevolent emblem. This is just a present to the killer and deserves punishment. Sure it is bad for the hooked one, but here the unhooker is to blame, and not the killer. So in this case I would even recommend to "tunnel" (of course not, when the reason for an unsafe unhook was camping). Beneath that: I would say tunneling is not just hooking someone twice in a row. Tunneling is when you are "tunnel-visioned" and ignore other targets that would be easier to hit, to go for the person that has been unhooked, with the aim (and this is the most important part:) to get that one person out of the game as soon as possible. I have no problem, so shouldn't have anyone else, when I got hooked twice quickly, but still make it to endgame.

Now to my suggestions on how to be a fun killer.

• Bringin moris is not bad at all. Just don't use them instantly, more use them like an insurance when you have a bad game. With perks like Pop, BBQ or Thrilling Tremors it is even at the cost of a perk trigger if you use them. Just when gens go too fast and the game is already or almost over. And noone can complain being moried on third hook.
    • Don't slug the second last survivor to go for the 4k, if you don't know where the last survivor is. Especially not when this survivor has already been slugged once or twice during the game. And even more especially not to use the slug as bait to get healed up so you can find the last survivor. It is ok if you can get into chase short after slugging or to search for the hatch in the near area if you don't know where it is yet. But also not searching the whole map until you found it. This is just a waste of time and gives no points to anyone.
    • Don't camp. This one is pretty simple. There may be stuff to do like breaking pallets or gens which keeps you close, but that's it. There are also enough tools in the game to let you know where you have to go next. Just one exception to that in the next list.

Things a killer should be allowed to ignore for fun reasons:

• Play whatever build you want. Survivors do the same. You can simply not take it serious when someone complains about insta puke, infinite Tier 3 Myers, Silent Bell or omega blink while running the DS/Unbreakable or map/key combo. (The only exception may be the Iri Head + Belt combo, but Iri Head + Windup time would be fine in my opinion)
    • Make unsafe unhooks unsafe. Surivors shouldn't get extra points and emblem progress for stupid actions.
    • Injured survivors working on gens should never call themselves being tunneled, even if there is another survivor available.
    • Slugging to go for the flashlight saver? When someone is around for a pallet save? All fine. Also when you are low on gens and need it for pressure. Survivors complain that it is boring to hold M1 for 4 minutes. If that's all they did the entire game, they should be fine to get some altruistic action.
    • If the first two or three unhooks happen all right in your back within 10 seconds, it should be fine if you decide to camp. Because you got enough input that it is worth it by then. Especially if you didn't camp before and have not seen that Bill yet the entire game. You can be pretty sure where he is after the next hook. And in points of distributing the hooks fairly across all survivors, it is just the logical conclusion to start camping. Btw, survivors going for the insta unhook are pretty much camping as well.

• Kycer
    Kycer Member Posts: 337

Don’t be nice. Trust me, it’s not worth it. I play as a “fun killer” for almost 2 years now and it’s extremely rare to see survivors showing appreciation for it. I win most of my games but when I lose they will just spam fast vaults and tbag me at the exit gate %95 of the time.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,222

I wouldn't really worry about it. Survivors very rarely care that the killer is being piloted by a human being. In general though:

Don't tunnel unless you have to. It's usually not worth it anyway unless they give you a DS for free by locker diving in your face.

Don't camp unless it's the best play you have. Endgame is an obvious one. There's zero upside to leaving the hook. There are also times where survivors wait too long to save. If they're close to struggle or death, go back to the hook. Don't let them have their cake and eat it too. Lastly, there are times when you can't reasonably defend the last 3 generators due to spacing and killer choice. You can walk across the map to a gen for no reason, give a free unhook, and have survivors spread on gens across the map, or stay at the hook and possibly snowball off it with the same gen pressure you'd have anyway (none).

• karlofflugosi
    karlofflugosi Member Posts: 63

Also, don't hit the survivors, either with your main weapon or special power. They hate that.

Opening the exit gates for them and then allowing them to leave is also a nice gesture.

• The_Trapper
    The_Trapper Member Posts: 186

As stated in other posts, don’t camp, tunnel or be toxic.

Moris and add-ons are fine, you’re not here to spoon feed them victories. The best games come from the ones that are tense and fun.

I get the occasional thank you message for not camping or tunnelling.

BUT, if survivors are being too altruistic in front of you such as unhooking right there, down them both. I usually slug the one straight off the hook and hook the one who saved him.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

I give players a chance

No camping, tunneling, No moris unless they bring a key and then only ivory

I dont like running cheap stuff, it doesnt challenge me at all Iri head, bamboozle billy, or stridor on Spirit

Just be as fair as I can

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

Nah. Ain't no rules in the kill zone!