Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Iridescent Shards Being Non-Refundable with No Exceptions is Anti-Consumer

So, a few days ago I was extremely hyped that I had finally saved 9000 Iridescent Shards so I could buy The Oni, a killer that I wanted to main. I went into the Store in-game, hovered over the Oni, and pressed the purchase button. The game froze for a second, and then said purchase failed. When it returned, I was looking the scree with the square grid of survivors and it showed me as having Yui Kimura at level 1. I was obviously pissed because that is not the character I had wanted to buy.

So I figured it would be fine, I would just explain what happened to the support team and they would make it right. But nope, they essentially told me to piss off because the EULA says shards are non-refundable. I don't even need a refund, they can just take away Yui from my account and credit Oni because that's who I was trying to buy. But they couldn't even do that. So now I'm left with no shards and a character who I haven't touched (because I DON'T WANT HER) through no fault of my own. I get not refunding because people regret their purchases or something, but this was literally just the UI being horrible and I'm being punished for it. I've bought 2 DLCs for this game but going forward I'm not spending a penny on this game because its clear BHVR doesn't give a ######### about its players.

Comments

• Allivath_Chaos
    Allivath_Chaos Member Posts: 41

If you have said there was a problem with paid currency, I'd agree with you. But iridescent shards are free in game currency you earn by playing. Can't call it anti-consumer because it's basically just a reward system for grinding the game.

Think of it more in the terms of bloodpoints. You spend 7k on a pink first aid add-on but die on first hook and don't get a chance to use it. It sucks, yeah but the only thing you lost is your time.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    edited April 2020

I wouldn't say thats anti consumer....but what it is is....

Really ######### customer support. Clearly be it a bug or whatever something jumped the shark and made you purchase the wrong item or thing or whatever. You can always gauge the professionalism of a game team based on their ability to fix player error or in game error. And in this case....that was a really ######### response from them. Most normal teams will say

"Thanks for the ticket, we will investigate further and get back to you"

And if they can look at the log and go "ok this thing was purchased" All we have to do is go into the account and remove the tag for Yui being owned and replace it for the Oni tag without having to refund any shards or whatever.

If they don't have an easy way to tackle a problem like this then BHVR is slacking incredibly hard compared to most modern game companies and needs to step up their game quite literally. And if they do have a way to resolve it and are just being robotic in their response then.... ######### it....don't spend another dollar.

And before you say, "B...b....but iridescent shards are free"

If they can't handle free earned in game currency and purchases why the ######### would you trust them with real money?

• FichteHiro
    FichteHiro Member Posts: 711

They seem to be better at handling issues with Auric Cells, I had a friend of mine purchase Auric Cells but not get them. He sent DBD a support ticket and got his Auric Cells, so idk.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

Well yeah, they're liable for that stuff. If someone purchased something but didn't receive their item then that's an open and shut lawsuit, easy money for a lawyer.

• venom12784
    venom12784 Member Posts: 666

How is a free in game currency not being refundable anti consumer

• FichteHiro

Yeah, they can easily be sued if you have any evidence you purchased a product and didn't receive it. Contacting the Bureau of Consumer Protection would be enough if they didn't give you the Auric Cells you bought, but fortunately, they normally handle all issues with Auric Cells with great transparency.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

Anti-consumer simply means not favorable to Consumers. It has nothing to do with the fact that you got something using either your time AKA your most valuable currency or your money. It would be nice if the game had a self-support option where if you purchased the wrong cosmetic or character and submit a request within 15 minutes it automatically reverses the transaction and refunds you. I think it's more of a limitation with the software and customer support probably doesn't have a mechanism to remove a character and credit you with another character.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

I honestly think that maybe a miscommunication happened. Based on what you described the support team probably just put it into "I want to refund my Iridescent Shard purchase" case and gave you the standard answer for it.

Did you report it as a bug?

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

I really am curious, what kind of spaghetii code had to happen for it to instead of buying Oni, bought you Yui.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
    edited April 2020

This is kind of a bummer situation for this player. Is there any way you can remove the unwanted character and give them the character they intended to purchase?

Post edited by Mandy on
  • MamaEagle
    MamaEagle Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2020

Not to be that person who starts an argument... But how do you buy the wrong thing with a currency that you have to grind heavily for? If it was me (and I'm sure to do this everytime) I look at all my options and think hard on them all before making any purchases. Being 100% sure to have the right item before hand and then buying it. That's like going to the store to buy sugar and you accidentally bought salt... That's an issue you caused and they aren't entitled to make your problem their problem lol. Now I've bought Auric cells and never got them, frankly after arguing with the devs for about 8 days I finally got what I paid for because they wouldn't refund my purchase (nor would the platform I played on for they said all proceeds for in game currency go to BHVR) and that is bad consumerism to practice

• Hex_Devour_Ass
    Hex_Devour_Ass Member Posts: 1

Did you read the post? I don't need a refund, I need the right character to be credited to my account. They should absolutely be able to do that especially considering I haven't touched Yui. Also, I'm using anti-consumer to mean "not favorable to consumers : improperly favoring the interests of businesses over the interests of consumers" per Merriam-Webster, not to imply that BHVR has done anything illegal.

• Hex_Devour_Ass

The first email I sent made it clear that I wasn't seeking a refund but after their canned "we can't because EULA" reply, I sent an even longer response saying I didn't need a refund, just the right character credited to my account. The response was a complete joke:

"Hello,

Thank you so much for contacting us today, we're always grateful for feedback, be it positive or negative!

I'm really sad to hear that your recent experiences with Dead by Daylight and specifically our service haven't lived up to your expectations. It's our mission to continuously improve the experience for everyone. If there is something that you believe we can do to improve this, we'd love to hear your suggestions! You can either post them here, or on our forums ( https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/ ) if you wish to see what the wider community thinks!

We appreciate your genuine and honest comments about the game and our service, so we've taken note of what you wrote to us here and we will make sure the team sees this. Rest assured, your feedback is always taken seriously."

• Hex_Devour_Ass

As I said, I didn't make the wrong purchase. I made sure I was purchasing Oni, but once I actually confirmed it it said something to the effect of error purchase failed and returned me to the home screen. I went back into the store only to see that my shards were gone and I had level 1 Yui Kimura under my survivors tab. That's not "making my problem their problem".

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Hopefully somebody sees this and escalates it.

• FichteHiro

As I said, since you didn't spend money on Shards, there is no juridical argument to say it's anti-consumer, just go check the website of the Federal Trade Commission if you don't believe me (you aren't getting any products via money transaction, you ain't their costumer in this case). I definitely think they should give you the Character you wanted, but you have to consider it might not be possible in a practical standpoint. I definitely think you should report it as a bug, their response wasn't really fitting, it's not a feedback thing.