Who here plays both survivors and killer?

Options
If so which side do you feel is more op? I personally feel it's balanced enough if you are good at mind games when playing killer just because of the op combinations you can get on both sides. Each side has useless perks and each side has some that everyone on the opposite side hates. 

Comments

• Mercury
    Mercury Member Posts: 326
    Options

I play fair a fair amount of both sides, but lately this year more of Killer. I don't look at one side and say it's op, but rather I study what can be done to improve the enjoyment for both sides. Like a recent suggestion about a Pig rework. It's kind of balanced, just wish there would finally be a stealth meta and not a pallet looping one.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

@Tzeentchling9 said:
    I play both, but I play more Survivor these days. It's much more relaxing, playing the power role.

IKR. Just go for a nice walk in the Fog, maybe fix a few generators, and stroll on out to the campfire with your BFFs.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Survivor is more OP at the moment. All you have to do is Loop, and you cripple all but three Killers in the game to an absurd level. Add in the stall meta perks, yeah... no need to worry. Only time you’ll break a sweat is if you’re up against a good Nurse, great Billy, or Godlike Huntress. All of those Kilers running the Killer meta by the way. 
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

I play both sides.
    I think everyone who does that and has some experience will agree about the balance^^

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ✋ play both equally.

While survivor is usually more OP, it all boils down to how the game starts. If you can get a kill before before 2 gens are done, you have a 50/50 chance to snowball the game into your favor. That's at least how I view it.

If the survivors are optimal, the chances are 30/70. 
  • FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

I play both, but I prefer killer.

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245
    edited September 2018
    Options

@SovererignKing said:
    Survivor is more OP at the moment. All you have to do is Loop, and you cripple all but three Killers in the game to an absurd level. Add in the stall meta perks, yeah... no need to worry. Only time you’ll break a sweat is if you’re up against a good Nurse, great Billy, or Godlike Huntress. All of those Kilers running the Killer meta by the way. 

What is looping? While we're on explaining terminology, what does SWF mean, too?

I've only been playing a few weeks and I try to play both sides, but I prefer being the killer. I really only play the survivor when I have a daily task for them. I'm currently rank 5, splitting my time between the wraith and the doctor.

Personally, I feel like the survivors are OP, simply because they can be present in multiple locations simultaneously. It makes sense that the top three killers can cover a lot of ground, whether by movement speed, or their powers. I wonder if we will see the wraith crawl up into a top spot with the coming add-on changes. That increased movement speed while cloaked and suppressed stain/terror radius should be fun.

• Albireo
    Albireo Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2018
    Options

@apropos Looping is when you go to a tileset (preferably with a pallet) and walk in circles until the killer gets too near to you. Then you drop the pallet in his face (be careful of being too greedy) and walk to the next tileset with a pallet. It's kind of necessary against good killers.

Most high rank players have map awareness so they know where the pallets spawn, they can also loop good and might not fall into mindgame traps.

If you're good at looping you can waste a lot of time before the killer kills you and if the other 3 people are doing gens it's pretty much a lost game for the killer. Some people drop pallets too fast though and they do run out of them.

As a killer you can always change targets if you get looped too long and only one guy is there, and the lowest tier killers all have nothing efficient they can do against looping. (At least without Add-Ons)

SWF is short for Survive With Friends, the matchmaking mode where Survivors can play with their friends.
    Many people criticize this mode because you can communicate via voice with your friends, and it kind of destroys some perks and other things like that. SWF groups are much harder to beat as a killer, and although the matchmaking mode is fun it is kind of too strong at the moment, sadly.
    It always depends on how good and coordinated the teams in SWF are though.

The biggest problem rises when SWF groups win too much and get confident and bored, so they'll annoy the killer instead of progressing the game when they know they can win regardless.

• Iceman
    Iceman Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I play both sides, I play more as survivor then Killer. I would say the survivor is more op because it is less challenging at the moment. When I am playing killer I am a bit nervous like I have to prove myself. Which is weird because I should get this feeling when playing survivor lol. 
  • Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    1. Both sides.
    2. Clearly survivors but not that bad since release. It's getting a lot better.
  • kone19
    kone19 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I think it’s entirely perk dependent. Low level but high ran survivors barely have a chance against high tier killers. Communication among survivors makes them even stronger. But killers against lone survivors have a huge advantage. So it’s very dependent. A communicating team of high tier survivors against a high tier killer is probably in the survivors advantage however matching seems to love to put top tier oilers gainstvmy barely level five survivor from my others being 10.
  • Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

I play both sides at rank 1.

Survivors run the show unless Nurse is involved.

Personally, I'd like to see chases become more skilled-based.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Options

Play both sides. Currently about 50/50, with the new killers perks that may make me more inclined to play killer the perk combos are temptingly evil!

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770
    Options

Same here to bad its hard for most people on the forums to comprehend playing both sides.

• AmorePrincess
    AmorePrincess Member Posts: 220
    Options
    I play both. I actually prefer plating killer, but I just dont play it as much as I want to.
    As someone who has a bad heart, and are in the red ranks, I just cant play more than a few killer games. Its just so much more stress playing killer, and that is weird, because it is a horror game, and I assume the horror is meant to be for the side chased, but it is not. Playing survivor is so much more relaxed. Atleast it is for me :)

I dont think about balance too much, I am addicted to this game, so I have just chosen to ignore the flaws, but what I do know is that I would love to put the fear back at playing survivor, like it was when you were a new player and got scared when you messed up a skill check or heard the heartbeat. And playing killer should not cause heartattacks because you are stressed as hell ;)
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552
    Options

I am a survivor main and I prefer playing as a survivor since it is a lot more enjoyable.

I think that the survivor side is really powerful. Not because looping is unbeatable or the game is extremely difficult for the killers but because survivors are the ones who decide the direction of the game. There is not much that a killer can do if the survivors want to genrush and finish the game as soon as possible (Assuming the killer is not a nurse or a hillbilly).

Playing killer doesn't feel like playing a 'killer'. You need to manage the time which is boring and stressful.

I wish I loved playing the nurse and the hillbilly but both of them are the most boring killers for me.

• SovererignKing
    Options
    apropos said:

@SovererignKing said:

What is looping? While we're on explaining terminology, what does SWF mean, too?

I've only been playing a few weeks and I try to play both sides, but I prefer being the killer. I really only play the survivor when I have a daily task for them. I'm currently rank 5, splitting my time between the wraith and the doctor.

Personally, I feel like the survivors are OP, simply because they can be present in multiple locations simultaneously. It makes sense that the top three killers can cover a lot of ground, whether by movement speed, or their powers. I wonder if we will see the wraith crawl up into a top spot with the coming add-on changes. That increased movement speed while cloaked and suppressed stain/terror radius should be fun.

Looping is the act of a Survivor “hugging” objects (trash Pallets are attached to, buildings, ect.) very tightly while they run in circles. Due to Survivors having smaller hit boxes than Killers, this allows the to run in tighter, therefore, smaller circles than Killers possibly can. This reduces the amount of distance Survivors have to travel around objects by a small margin, just enough to effectively negate the Killer has a base movement speed 15% higher than Survivors for brief periods of time, over and over. If you play other games, this is called “Kiting” (most common in MMORPG’s). Think NASCAR, the guy on the inside track has less distance to travel than the guy on the outside track. This allows Survivors to “stall out” Killers for long periods of time in short burst over and over again, by “keeping the distance” for far longer than they should be able to to. 

SWF mean “Survive With Friends”. A game mode where Survivors will not be paired with random other Survivor players, but can invite personal friends to team up. 
  • Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358
    Options
    I don't see the nurse as op. Pallet loop plus run towards her when she tries to blink it's like a free juke. I love playing against the hillbilly as well though I understand why he's top tier. Huntress... Most I come across aren't very good. I hate playing against the pig and the doctor and camping leather faces. Anyone else I'm fine with
  • SovererignKing
    Options
    I don't see the nurse as op. Pallet loop plus run towards her when she tries to blink it's like a free juke. I love playing against the hillbilly as well though I understand why he's top tier. Huntress... Most I come across aren't very good. I hate playing against the pig and the doctor and camping leather faces. Anyone else I'm fine with
    Oh she’s not OP. I’m a Nurse Main on PS4 myself, one of few that are able to control the devil herself on console. Many Survivors say it’s so much fun finally having a “real Nurse” to play against. I like playing against all Killers except Doc cause I’m a Stealth player. I just roll my eyes when it’s Doc cause he’s a pain in my ass. 
  • Grey87
    Grey87 Member Posts: 346
    Options

I play both and I don't think you can just decide what side is "OP".
    Sometimes survivors get totally destroyed, sometimes the killer kills 0.

I've seen a killer main ,who also plays survivor, on twitch saying survivors are stronger (if they are an experienced swf team) , but he also said 90% of his games end in 4k.
    Soooo... take from it what you will, I don't think it's an easy "survivor/killer" answer.

• Justicar
    Justicar Member Posts: 319
    Options

I play both. I prefer killer, but the game is pretty heavily biased towards survivors currently. I hope they can buff killers such that we see more than just Billy or Nurse at top ranks.

• CoolAKn
    CoolAKn Member Posts: 677
    Options

I try to play both, but at least with survivor, I can find a lobby right away.

For a survivor, it ultimately boils down to cosmetics - which character do you like the most visually? Me? My mains would be David King and Kate, because I like the way they look, and have a back up if I ever want to switch it up (Adam and Nea). Once you have all of the teachable perks unlocked, no survivor is unique. The only difference is female characters are slightly more stealthy because they are smaller than the male survivors. They can all use the same perks, offerings, items, and add-ons.

For killer, it's all about which power you are the most comfortable using. Since I don't play killer too much, I haven't determined which killer I will like the most, but I am leaning towards Huntress, Doctor, or Wraith as my mains, in spite of the fact I've only ever played Trapper.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

I play both sides and survivor has definitely been less stressful.

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832
    Options

I used to play survivor but not anymore, it got too easy.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

I play both sides.
    I prefer killer, but i´ve been playing almost only survivor in the last 2 months.
    Survivors are way to strong (or easy) and forgiving in comparison to killers.

• Eight
    Eight Member Posts: 513
    Options

Play both - pretty much a 50/50 split. I prefer survivor (simply because a lot of playing a killer seems to be running around doing nothing) but once it gets past 20:30, it becomes really difficult to find survivor games on PS4... so I switch.

I think both sides are relatively well-balanced against each other. Individual characters/perks may need tweaking but, overall, I''m ok with it. I've noticed that in the mid-ranks, before you're fully perked, you really are rewarded for so-called "toxic" behaviour like camping though. Mostly because survivors make it worthwhile when they swarm the hook, but also because running off to find someone else gets really boring.

FYI Stop unhooking people directly in front of the killer (camping or not). Unless you run borrowed time. It's a gift when you do it and I'm playing killer, but annoying AF when I'm the poor sap on the hook that you decide to farm for rescue BP only to leave me to a certain death.

• Esheon
    Esheon Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Both here. Sometime I play more killer, sometimes more survivor. I generally play survivor when I want to relax, which is the opposite of how it should be. Both sides should have a tense game, but survivors should be more so.

On killer I'm mostly Hag, Doc, and Pig. I do decently most of the time, no 4k every game for me, but I usually get a 2k and pip.

On survivor I used to play hard stealth. P3 Claudette with SC, IW, UE, SB, always a medkit or toolbox, etc. Now I usually just equip BT/DH/WMI, then run from gen to gen and loop when I'm found. I have enjoyed Kate with Lithe, UE, and DWM recently though. I refuse to run DS, though I suppose I'll have to do it at least once to get the Laurie achievement.

Survivors are still in the power role, but it's getting better bit by bit.
  • Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,217
    edited September 2018
    Options

(both rank 1) I'm always watching a movie on my second screen when I play survivor because its a M1 simulator. So I'd say that survivor is more chill, especially when you play with friends. Killer is quite intense, full gen pressure + no teammates

• Hellrossa
    Hellrossa Member Posts: 105
    Options

I play both. Rank 15 survivor and rank 13 killer, Meg and Piggy mostly.

• Eight
    Options

@Hellrossa said:
    Meg and Piggy mostly.

God, I bet you're popular! :) Good on you though.

• Giche
    Giche Member Posts: 753
    Options

Both side, since the end of 2017.

While it's nice to see both sides of the coin, it didn't changed my mind about this game's balance.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816
    Options

Me! I love playing character classes in general so as long as I keep the perks mostly unique per each character I’ll play any of them

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited September 2018
    Options

I do.
    Personally I think it is kinda balanced. Still a bit in favour of survivors, and endgame perks are a bit mandatory for killers (Bloodwarden is my favourite), but it's mostly a matter of skill.
    For example, if I was to play Billy, Huntress or Nurse I mostly get rekt now, but if I play the Doctor or the Trapper I dominate most matches (rank 3 currently): that's just because I don't play top tier killers since months so I'm terribly out of practice with them and I need some time to dust off my skills, which I don't need on other mid tier ones.

• Damaho
    Damaho Member Posts: 44
    Options

I play both, although I like killer more than survivor. Although survivor is way less stressful and easier than killer, I get annoyed or bored real fast. I play almost exclusively solo survivor and you either get matches were you have survivors that know what they are doing and the gens are done in 5 minutes even with ruin or you have survivors on your team that make you think: "How did they get past rank 19?"

Just had a P3 Dwight who starts the match by going in a locker and comes out when he notices that the huntress is chasing me (knew that because I use bond). Would be fine, a bit cowardly given how strong survivors are but fine. What was not fine is that he saw that I was looping the huntress around a pallet and instead of doing the smart thing of "I run away and do another gen" he runs to me and wants to run the loop with me. That of course gave me an unnecessary hit... Gladly the huntress prefered to hit the Dwight next and followed him instead of me. How is it possible to get to rank 4, prestige your character three times (hadn't looked for his perks, so no idea if he got any teachables) and still be sooo bad at this game?

With killer I have to concentrate and can't have any distractions because I have to hear moans and footsteps and such, which makes it less chill than survivor, with the only benefit being that these idiots aren't on my team anymore... Sadly they are mostly not in my killer games either.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@Grey87 said:
    I play both and I don't think you can just decide what side is "OP".
    Sometimes survivors get totally destroyed, sometimes the killer kills 0.

I've seen a killer main ,who also plays survivor, on twitch saying survivors are stronger (if they are an experienced swf team) , but he also said 90% of his games end in 4k.
    Soooo... take from it what you will, I don't think it's an easy "survivor/killer" answer.

Balance is when you look at the result when two players of equal skillevel use all available tools and verse each other.
    This means 4 man DS on the survivor side and the killer well, being "killer". Anyone who can seriously claim that DBD is balance... :lol:

• Eight
    Options

@Mycroft said:

@Eight said:

Hahaha.

I did say "relatively"... but you may be right.

• NoOne
    NoOne Member Posts: 42
    Options
    I just cant play more than a few killer games. Its just so much more stress playing killer, ... Playing survivor is so much more relaxed. 
    That's the reason i can't play too many killer matches, even tho I'm having fun. I also stay lower ranks, bcs i want to have fun and be able to play fair. 
  • RuneStarr
    RuneStarr Member Posts: 850
    Options

Play both pretty equally, (why would anyone only want to play half a game lol).

I don't really see either side as "OP". Solo Surv vs Killer is pretty balanced IMO. Even with looping, camping, DS, BBQ Billy, etc (all the stuff people whine to high heavens about).

Now SWF using discord/PS party vs Killer... that's where it tilts heavily towards the survivor side.
    Since it wasn't originally part of the game it was never balanced around, and they really need to do something. Even if it's their plan of bringing solo up to SWF levels of info (AND BUFFING KILLERS ACCORDINGLY!). Just, anything to make it fun for both sides again. SWF rn is easymode survivor side, and hell from the killer side. I want a challenge even if I'm playing with friends, otherwise I feel like a jerk after when the killer gets demolished because of how easy it is.

...Although I'm sure it'll end up being along the lines of survivors getting those buffs and being happy, then going on entitled review bombs when they try to buff killers to be able to compete. Because well, look what happens anytime killers get any kind of buff lmao.

• redsopine1
    redsopine1 Member Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Both though I'm better killer then surv
  • Mr_Jay_Stark
    Mr_Jay_Stark Member Posts: 539
    Options
    I play both! Survivors are OP. When I play survivor I make myself builds for each survivor I play as so I could play using different play styles (that’s how bored I’ve gotten lol).

But don’t get me wrong I LOVE playing as killer because I always tell survivors the only way you die is if YOU make mistakes. 

But no matter what side I play I always want to lose. Why you may ask well as a survivor I feel bad for the killer and when I play as a killer if I do lose I won’t be surprised lol
  • Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    edited September 2018
    Options

I play survivor and killer as I enjoy how each side differs from each other. I've gotten to rank 7 on killer and rank 9 on survivor.

Usually, I prefer to play the Doctor with Barbeque and Chili III, Thrill of the Hunt III, Distressing III, and Enduring III just to farm points. However, high-rank toxicity and a recent time constraint have pushed me to play survivor or another game entirely. I like Dead by Daylight and all, but I play video games for fun, and waiting for 5 minutes just to be blinded and bullied by a bunch of strangers isn't fun for me. (Keep in mind that I normally don't aim to kill people unless they tick me off.)

That's why recently I've been mainly playing as a P3 peasant Jake Park or just playing Payday 2.

As for who's more overpowered, it's blatantly clear that the survivors have too many advantages:

• Strength in numbers
    • Second Chances (Pallets, Self-Care, Decisive Strike, Exhaustion perks [Especially Adrenaline], etc)

• 3 Lives to die, because getting impaled on a rusty hook is just an inconvenience.
    • Communication devices such as Skype, Steam Chat, Discord, and Teamspeak

Post edited by Peasant on
  • palotheas
    palotheas Member Posts: 118
    Options
    I play both killer and survivor, I hadn't played anyone much besides bill until recently because he was my first daily and I decided I liked borrowed time. I do enjoy killer more because you have to focus the whole time so you're always engaged, but sometimes it's nice to play as a survivor and relax, maybe chill in a locker for a bit, and grab something to drink. Survivors are just way less stressful to play as.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Options
    Both but more as a survivor than as a killer.
  • Hellrossa
    Hellrossa Member Posts: 105
    Options

@Eight said:

@Hellrossa said:
    Meg and Piggy mostly.

God, I bet you're popular! :) Good on you though.

Why that? :ohnoes:

• Silas
    Silas Member Posts: 307
    Options

Survivors: Kate & Claudette
    Killers: The Trapper & Mikey

I love The Trapper, but he definitely needs a buff regarding his traps. I'm glad they increased the setting time but he should start with at least two traps. Also there should be more available to be found on the map.