The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Which side of the same coin is harder?

Is survivor's or killers harder to play?

Would love to know. Really...

Comments

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Killer. You have to pay more attention, choose more carefully, and take more responsibility.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826
    edited April 2020

Definitely killer. I'm a total potato that constantly screws up skill checks and can't loop and still escape pretty frequently as a solo survivor. Working on climbing past purple atm and by that I mean getting pips every match regardless of outcome. Hell of a lot harder to rank up as killer and I have to actually concentrate instead of watching YouTube while playing. The effort difference is massive.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

Here's my opinion on your question.

Tldw: survivors have less pressure to work on their goal. One survivor can accomplish 20% of the team's goal in 80 seconds. I forget the rest since it's been a while.

• Waffleyumboy

If we're talking math, can't killers accomplish ~10% of their goal in 30 seconds?

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030

Definitely this. Survivors have a higher skill cap but until you reach it killers are on advantage. The thing is, against a team of skilled survivors the killer will be on disadvantage, but those teams usually never happen when solo queuing.

Also you should play both sides if you want to get better on either. A killer who doesn't play survivor or vice versa can only get so far in the game.

• Waffleyumboy

High skill cap as survivor. What exactly about survivor is skill based?

• SpaceCoconut
  • Waffleyumboy

~10 hooks needed for the killer to win, ~30 seconds needed to end a chase. We're both missing important info.

• GrannyonAcid
    GrannyonAcid Member Posts: 476

If you're a brand new player. Killer is going to be the easiest to play. The problem with that is on PC I've heard it's 20 minute queues to find a match at rank 20. You will start by dominating almost every match. You'll have survivors slow vault through windows right into your arms and survivors that get into lockers right in front of you. Grab them out and hook them. You'll start to think you're a decent killer. Then you'll move up into the ranks where people are smurfing. People like to d rank. So you'll start facing good survivors hidden in the upper ranks. You'll start to realize... Killer is impossible to ever have fun with.

Survivor isn't going to be much better. I've been playing with a few guys that are learning how to play the game recently. And both sides are impossible to pick up. They don't even look where the killer is chasing them and end up doing a circle and running right back into the killer's weapon.

I guess I'd probably say learn killer. At least you can equip NOED and BBQ and Chili once you get it and farm some points and get pity kills.

• Raulillo
    Raulillo Member Posts: 179

I think killer is harder but depending which killer the skill ceiling varies.

I think that both sides are "the same coin". You play survivor to improve as killer and you play killer to improve as survivor.

Also killer is more about predictions, strategy and mindgames, on the other hand as a survivor the gameplay goes around reactions, resources management and team play.

If you are new to the game killer is easier but there is a point in the learning curve as a survivor when you discover looping and chase mechanics. From there on is easier to play as a survivor. It's common for killer mains to have more rank as survivor compared to their killer rank because most survivor goals are PvE, you can be altruistic or bold without interacting with the killer. Killers on the other side need the survivors to play.

• SpaceCoconut

I'm not sure what ~ indicates. But winning isn't the topic, how difficult to play the role is.

Also, the time for a chase isn't a static number, it's an unknown variable depending on a myriad of other factors. Sometimes it's 0, sometimes it's 120 (chase daily)

• SpaceCoconut

It's an interesting angle to consider survivor pve which I would imagine means killer is pvp... and that I can really see.

Thanks for this tidbit.

• AsePlayer
    AsePlayer Member Posts: 1,829

Both can be true, just depends on who the other 3 survivors are.

• SpaceCoconut

I know "what" it is, but what does it indicate? + or -

I suppose it doesn't matter anymore.

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 885

Killer is the more difficult, overall. New survivors have a lot to learn, and it can be intimidating. That initial period is harder, I think, for survivors, It flips pretty quickly, though.

• DawnMad

Stuff they share with killers like efficient looping (harder for survivors), mind gaming, using sounds (harder for killers), memorizing hatch locations, pallet/window knowledge for all maps, memorizing every survivor/killer perk and such.

Stuff that are specific to survivors like flashlight timings, getting fast vaults, controlling scratch marks, great skill checks, memorizing totem locations and probably more that I cant remember off the top of my head. Also survivors have to learn to deal with every single killer, so a skilled survivor is also experienced in every single killers mechanics.

There are a few other things like Dead Hard timings, Sprint Burst on demands, memorizing the best ways to run every single tile (sure useful but you wont always follow a pattern), timing pallets against chainsaw killers etc that I dont count as very "crucial" but maybe you do, so Im mentioning them here too.

• Waffleyumboy

I think killer has a higher skill cap, you need to use your power and efficient looping is harder because you need to learn which loops are mindgameable and how to mind game. You also need to learn how to distribute pressure and keep tabs on survivor locations. Just tracking alone is a huge aspect that takes a lot of skill.

• Lanis_
    Lanis_ Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2020

Solo survivor is in hardcore mode now (and fcking hell mode with the incoming patch).

Killer is harder in the "mid" (at the beginning is easy mode, in mid is harder, but if u skilled enough in late u can destroy 9/10 of swf and high level streamer can show this)

Swf depends on skill of every player.. there are 4swf with thousand of hours that can destroy almost every killer and 4swf potato.

At very high skill level (people that play this game for 3000+ hours) killer is easiest and swf is harder (just a little bit).

• MetroSlayer_DC
    MetroSlayer_DC Member Posts: 16

@Waffleyumboy A killers skill cap ain't that high all my killers are for bloodpoints so they stay at lvl 15 always and I can use cheeky moves on a survivor who's rank 4 and still get him down. Yeah hes looping a lot but with blood lust it don't last at all. While survivors have an actual REAL skill cap to reach.

• DawnMad
    edited April 2020

Actually Im with him on this one, by the way you describe you arent playing actually skillfully against those survivors since you mentioned using bloodlust to end chases. If you face actually good swf teams you will see your methods wont be even close to enough.

I believe killers do have a high skill cap too but I just believe survivors have higher because of all the mechanics they need to master with their mistakes being much less forgiving than killers. If a killer messes up a loop the chase only lengthens by some seconds, but if a survivor does they will most definitely get hit or get downed.

Also I find looping with survivor harder since you need to manage sprinting efficiently, parallel to walls and without bumping into anything while keeping an eye on the killer at all times, who is generally behind you.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Harder? It actually depends a lot on ranks, killer, perks and all of that stuff that comes into play.

As a simple guide, though, Survivor at low ranks and Killer at high. Matches are usually dominated by killers in the lower ranks, usually a slaughter but occasionally it'll be an easy 3/4 escapes. Killers tend to struggle a bit more in the higher ranks because Survivors know what they're doing, how to counter a killer and can hit a skillcheck.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Survivor have a very simplistic goal, "do gens".

Killers have a far more complex goal of "stop gens, but also get kills".

As for whats harder to play...well that will ultimately depend on you as an individual. While I would argue killer has a more difficult curve its also not hard by any means.

Where the true difficulty in DBD comes in is player skill/balance. As a new player matchmaking will not afford you an even playing field to learn and practice as you will often get matched with veteran players who will out perform you to the extent you feel utterly helpless.

My advice (especially if you are new) is to not go into your matches with the mindset of "winning" via kills/escapes but rather a goal you set.

For example maybe you want to practice getting better at tracking survivors or you want to learn how to time Billy's chainsaw charge or maybe you feel skillchecks are difficult to hit. Let these goal become the focus of your match and allow these small victory moments to help you improve your overall game one step at a time until you feel confident on a more "competitive" level and feel you can handle situations more skillful players throw at you.

PS: I'm in a hurry so I didn't proof read this, if there are mistake or "run on sentences" you have my apologies.