Survivor Uniqueness

Options
Desh
Desh Member Posts: 1,118
edited April 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Every Killer has their own specific and unique power that makes them standout compared to the rest. Nurse can blink, Plague can spread infection that causes the broken effect, Spirit can phase, Huntress can throw hatchets. You get the idea. Each of these powers can be complemented or be rendered useless/inconsequential by the perks Killers decide to equip.

What if Survivors also have a unique "power" or ability of their own that complements their base perk(s)? For example, what if we gave Claudette a base kit to where she heals other Survivors 5% faster than other Survivors. If you paired that with her unique perk, Botany Knowledge, that increase is now 38%. Another example would be if Nea had a base kit to where she naturally has a reduced stagger duration of 15%. Paired with her unique perk, Balanced landing, that increase is now 100% reduced stagger.

I'm not saying their base kit should complement all of their unique perks, but at least complement one. This would encourage more diversity when playing Survivors without forcing them into specific roles like other games similar to this while also encouraging more diverse perks. What is unique about this game is that the perks between Survivors can be swapped. But that also means that there is no specific need to buy a character from a DLC if all they're going to provide us is 3 perks that may or may not be useless. These additions to their base kit is recommended to be subtle so as to not completely throw out the balance of the game.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Desh
    Options

Keep in mind, I'm just wanting a reason to buy the DLC. The perks aren't enough, and I can wait for those in the shrine (even if takes months). Cosmetics aren't enough for me to change Survivors.

• JnnsMu
    JnnsMu Member Posts: 249
    edited April 2020
    Options

They're already quite different. You mentioned cosmetics not being a big factor for you but there's also body size, breathing, groaning and screaming. Those factors should be a good enough reason to buy either Kate or Ace.

• Desh
    Options

So.... the look of character which falls under cosmetics. There's nothing unique that stands out that would entice me to buy a character. I'm happily content with Jake since he usually gets cool cosmetics and he's free. That's it.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    edited April 2020
    Options

My problem is:

a) Survivors metas. Which could result in higher que times.

b) If this was done more at the beginning of the game's life it would be kinda fine... But now i would be kinda forced to max out a diffrent survivor if it happens my survivor's ability is "worse" than others.

Post edited by Milo on
  • Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 810
    Options

Survivor are indeed just re-skins, they don't have anything special. And I think it is in this way because it's a 1vs4 game, 4vs16 perks. If each character had these "passives", people will overuse the best survivors every match and use their best perks too. It could be implemented if the balance of the game wasn't so crazy.

• Trwth
    Trwth Member Posts: 921
    Options

I brought this up a while ago too and I completely agree, but those passive powers cannot be game-changing, but instead helpful quirks that encourage different playstyles without forcing it.

But there’s a problem with doing even that, which is the base mechanics of Survivors. There’s very, very few ingredients to brew with. Walking, running, crouching, vaulting, hiding in lockers, and holding M1/R1. Scratch marks, blood trails, bleedout time, and sacrifice speed. What I’m trying to say is that to give Survivors helpful passives, there needs to be more mechanics added to their base to create these quirks. Then and only then can we brainstorm.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640
    Options

wasn't this posted literally yesterday?

• Desh
    Options

Counter:

A) Que times would be about the same because this doesn't change the Killer main player base. There may be a slight increase in time since now you'll have more Survivors playing to level up their characters. However, most people agree that the fastest way to get BP is to play Killer. So who knows, it's speculation.

B) That's the idea though. People who want to play different Killers to their full potential are forced to max out those different Killers. Especially since the Tier system at this point in time is essentially useless, why not pour your BP gained from rituals, challenges, and naturally playing into characters you can use in the future.

The implementation of these "quirks" would have to be be minor. Nothing that would break the game but enough to encourage diversity of characters and perks. Honestly, I would think BHVR would want to find a way to incorporate this since it encourages more purchasing of DLC.

Maybe, I've no idea.

• Arxaion
    Arxaion Member Posts: 104
    Options

I suggested this a while back as well, and people are wholeheartedly against it.