Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The New chapter might be Pennywise or Jason from the looks of it

Comments

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

In the Stephen King universe, he's a deity. If you were to relate him to anything, it would be an Eldritch God imo. Also shape shifting is a classic story in mythology, displayed by minor Gods, like Loki.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,895

Batman has villains who can shapeshift. They aren't gods either.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

So you clearly have not read the book because they tell you he is one.

This person said it best. And again, if you just googled it you would get your answer. it's not a secret lol.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited May 2020

You can tell me I haven't read the book as much as you like. It won't make it true. Btw I see you completely ignored my question. Not surprising since you likely can't give a valid answer to it. Since you've supposedly read the book then you don't need your good friend Google here. So give it your best shot if you can.

The entity creates its own worlds and trials, and brings all different people from other worlds to them. Pennywise never flexed that level of power. The book tells us he is a god but he displays no god like powers in it. He does nothing more or as equally impressive as what the entity does in Dbd. He's simply a shapeshifting creature that dwells in the sewers, is centuries old, feeds off fear in order to be able to kill, and then goes on a 27 year slumber.

That's not god status power. He would not feel like a cut above if he was a killer in this game. Especially if he's based off any of the movie versions. I assume you've watched them, or do you need Google to inform you about them 😉

• NateyBoi
    NateyBoi Member Posts: 315

I want chucky, he could have a dragging effect when hurting a survivor. Chucky's power can be crawling under pallets. Also, pinhead in my opinion would be op.

but I like ur discussion!

• The_Horde
    The_Horde Member Posts: 107

I hope its Candyman! I want a hook killer of some kind. The hookman has been an urban legend for a long time, and it is one of my favorite stories.

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899

I Read the book but its been 25 years. Isn't pennywise an alien vampire/psychic vampire? Don't remember him ever being called a god of any type

• Cassandra_Alexandra
    Cassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 254

I want Chucky too, but I can’t imagine that coming to fruition. If Chucky were a killer, what do you think would make an awesome Mori kill?

• cheetocultleader

So does Ditto from Pokemon, but you wouldn't call him a villain.

The author says he is a God, the destroyer of worlds, a celestial being that can shift through dimensions -- and since it's the authors world, he kinda has the last say so. Just because someone isn't impressed with his abilities as a God, doesn't mean he is less of one in his multiple books. Remember, the theory is Pennywise is in other books as a baddie as well.

• BunnyTheHutt

Funny thing is I bet you did google it, but you saw you were wrong and have too protect your ego, and that's fine. End of the day though you are just blatantly wrong and don't want to admit it lol. One google search proves you are wrong, I don't need the book too know it lol.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited May 2020

Nothing to do with ego. An author can label something anything they want, but if they blatantly do not show that something being what they call it, then its not what its supposed to be. In Pennywise's case King never portrays him as a god status being. He never displays god like power in the book. Nor do the movies portray him that way, or label him as such either.

And once you again you totally dodge my question. What a surprise. I wonder who's the real ego protector here.

FYI I am a huge Stephen King fan. I've read many of his books. IT, Misery, Salems' Lot, The Stand, Pet Sematary, Christine, The Shining, The Green Mile.....and so many more. He's my favorite author.

Now if you're going to reply, try and do it without making personal jabs and false accusations.

Post edited by Dwight_Fairfield on
  • EnderloganYT
    EnderloganYT Member Posts: 621

ok everyone arguing over if Pennywise is a god or not, but I'd just like to see that source saying it isn't Candyman.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited May 2020

I'm not sure what the point of your Pokemon comparison is......but you don't have to be a villain to be a god.

The author can tell you something about a character, but if they don't display them as such then its not true to the label. If you never had that little bit of exposition in the book, and judged Pennywise solely on how he is portrayed in terms of his abilities, nobody would ever even think this is a god status being.

He lives in the sewers of Derry. He gets his power to kill by feeding off fear. He can shape shift. He goes to sleep for 27 years after his killing sprees. Kids can out run him on a bicycle. And he was defeated by a bunch of ordinary children. This is not the portrayal of a god tier creature.

Furthermore, the root of this discussion was Pennywise would look OP compared to the Entity. Other than King labeling him a god in the book, the movies never called him that btw, what is it about Pennywise's actual portrayal that makes him look more OP than the Entity? Not a darn thing. He's a sewer dwelling shape shifter who kills kids every 27 years in some low key little town.

• cheetocultleader
    edited May 2020

Perhaps this is because he just doesn't meet your definition of a God, but again referring back to mythology, you have Gods that aren't that powerful. Look at Dionysus. His origin story is literally he died, Zeus sewed him into his thigh, he was reborn, and then was hidden away from Hera, who wanted to kill him. He then became the last Olympian when he came of age, and is now most known as the God of wine, but he has a bunch of other titles.

Considering Pennywise is referred to as "The Destroyer of Worlds", that sounds pretty powerful, among other things already listed here. I guess it's a "weird flex but okay" moment. Just know that historically, you have what many people consider to be Gods that are vastly less powerful than Pennywise would be considered, if not on par with many.

I was typing this up as you quoted me, but the Ditto to Batman villain comparison was to demonstrate that shape-shifting appears in many forms of media & lore. Loki was a God, very well known for shape-shifting and causing mischeif through such. Pointing to a Batman villain doesn't disprove that in lore, it's a Godly power.

Edit: And not all Gods are all powerful or don't have weaknesses, either. Very few in fact are all powerful outside of Abrahamic religions. You also have Gods that are more powerful in some forms than others.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited May 2020

That's not a valid comparison. Zeus is a god. That's one god whooping another god there. If you'd told me a bunch of regular kids were able to do that to Dionysis then I'd see your point.

You keep referring to the labels given to Pennywise in the book. Show don't tell. The book itself never shows him as a being that has that kind of power. That he is of god tier status. Could you see Zeus having a hard time catching two kids on a bicycle for example lol? Surely you see my point here. Even Dionysis had the ability to transform into powerful animals like a lion and could have easily caught two kids on a bicycle. Yet Pennywise couldn't.

You also totally missed the point with the Batman villain comparison. Nobody denied shape-shifting god is not cemented in lore. The point was that being a shape-shifter does not make someone a god status being, as other fictional characters like Clayface from Batman show. Ditto with Mystique from X-Men.

• cheetocultleader

Yeah we could definitely go in circles here. I choose to recognize what the author said he is, you don't. I see his powers as Godly, you don't. I guess that's the great thing about works of art, we're allowed to interpret them differently.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited May 2020

Fair enough. I appreciate that you at least kept it civil and made good efforts to explain your point of view.

• cheetocultleader

Yeah I like a good debate, not an argument. Sometimes you need to realize you've come to an impasse so it doesn't devolve in the latter.

Plus, I doubt we'll get to see too many Stephen King characters. My vote would go to Carrie, long before Pennywise. So I don't mind if he joins the cast or not, but if he doesn't, I'm more likely to get my Carrie some day, lol.

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428

Someone named Scott Jund straight up said "it's not candyman" and since he got the last four killers correct and knew about them before hand, there could be some credibility to it but we'll see.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604

The Silent Hill 2 theory sounded good though with Pyramid Head and mysterious survivor James (or Maria) - this would be jaw dropping

• Revzi100
    Revzi100 Member Posts: 529

Im still up for the idea of Alien with ripley/bishop or Corporal Hicks as suvivour and a spaceship style map

• SeeYoureWrong
    SeeYoureWrong Member Posts: 88

Just saying but Scott saying it isn't Candyman doesn't mean anything. He isn't a fog whisperer, nor is he involved in the development in the game nor the liscensing or contracts to get there. He's just a streamer.

• Cornpopers_Evan

That sounds so good, a Alien chapter is definitely a top 3 dream chapter for me.

• Revzi100
    Revzi100 Member Posts: 529

same here i also think that the alien could use face huggers a bit like pig traps as there is no other like this in the game

• Cornpopers_Evan

I would also like it if she had some sort of pinning mechanic like a L4D hunter.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I wouldn't dismiss Candyman just because a streamer said so but like others have mentioned, what Mathieu said about it being an emotional milestone leads me to believe it'd be something like Pennywise or Pinhead. As they are characters they have mentioned wanting for DbD for years.

• megansnotcreative
    megansnotcreative Member Posts: 23

I agree, but what would they even call Pennywise? The clown’s already a name.. the it? I don’t know what’d fit for ‘em, as much as I’m rooting for it being Pennywise.

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262

Lots of candyman hints

But I'd prefer pinhead

Idk about penny

• NateyBoi
    NateyBoi Member Posts: 315

His daughters could just come out and start non stop stabbing the survivor. Idk. Lol.

• charyzard
    charyzard Member Posts: 34

Honestly, I don't think you can get more iconic than Alien.

It's still considered one of the greatest horror movies of all time, and it did insanely well on its release. I would absolutely love to see the Nostromo as a map it would look crazy.

Not only that, but Jason and Pennywise are a little too similar to killers we already have imo. Trapper is supposed to be like DbD's own 'Jason', and we have The Clown already so it wouldn't make sense to add a second one.

The Demogorgon opened the door for more non-human killers, and the Stranger Things chapter opened the door for more sci fi horror. So far every realm that is in the game is somewhere on Earth, there's nothing "out of this world" yet (literally).

Also can someone link me to where they said its confirmed NOT to be Candyman because I need this reassurance. I'm not opposed to having him in the game but if they want to do something that's truly iconic for their 4 year anniversary, Candyman really isnt that iconic. They had me worried.

• Dwight_Fairfield
  • Doomspooge
    Doomspooge Member Posts: 184

They could get around the lore for Pennywise pretty easy. All they would have to do is declare him as being the entity this whole time. Now he wants to join in on the fun of the trials himself handy capping himself for the sport and to create more fear himself. They could just straight up call him The Entity.

• Doomspooge
    Doomspooge Member Posts: 184

Jason and Pinhead would also be epic additions to the game. Never been a big fan of Candyman so don't care either way there.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Or maybe our Entitus and Pennywise are just friends and Pennywise is just visiting for fun and is not trapped/tortured to be in this realm for the trials

they really could come up with something to include Pennywise or other „not fitting“-killers if they wanted and that argument is just not valid

• Cornpopers_Evan

Scott Jund recently has straight out said "it's not Candyman" and seeing as how he's gotten the last four killers correct and knew about them before hand, there could be some credibility to him saying that but, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

i will say that if anything looks like Pyramid Head, it's the design of the "4" they're using. Not that it means anything.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

I really hope it’s Candyman just so this argumentation about whoever stops. didn’t he also say himself he is not a reliable source?

• sad_killer_main
    sad_killer_main Member Posts: 785

Maybe to have one that actually works out and not Z tier

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

If...IF...it is Jason...it may be the 'Jason Chapter' with no mention of 'Voorhees', 'Friday 13th' and 'Camp Crystal Lake'.

With the ins and outs of the legal situatuon, they may just release a character who is the 'iconic masked killer' called 'Jason' with no mention of his lore relating to the FIRST film.

Meaning that writer Victor Miller wouldn't own Tommy Jarvis for example or a map featured in one of the many sequels.

I personally do no believe it's Jason. I just don't see it as a viable option at the moment.

But I really hope I'm wrong.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

Having "AnOtHeR cLoWn" doesn't make it impossible to have Pennywise. We also have 2 chainsaw killers, 2 white masked stalkers, 2 crouching killers, 3 trap killers, 4 teleporting killers, 4 stealth killers, 2 Yamaoka family killers. It's not like they'd do the same thing anyways, their powers and style would be totally different.

That being said I don't really care for or against Pennywise, just wanted to point out that having a Clown does not make him off limits. Like seriously if they asked Mathieu Cote "hey man you want Pennywise in dbd" he wouldn't be like "sorry dude we already have a fat greasy clown in the game so I can't do it"

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604

@Dr_Loomis same here.

The F13th board game got made during the lawsuit.

Why not also a DBD chapter?

Jason fits all of their quotes being jaw dropping, iconic since inception and an emotional milestone. Pennywise doesnt fit all of these.. it wasnt until the Tim Curry film that that one became famous - the book was slow

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Pennywise isnt a clown also who said Jason must be a trapper? Also we got 2 chainsaw guys and 2 stalker too.

• Jasonisanicefella
    Jasonisanicefella Member Posts: 377

Well the Entity sounds a LOT like IT.

If the Entity was to bring to DBD Bill, the main character in IT, it would read through his mind and learn about IT and at that point it would be able to create its own version, maybe calling it "the clone".

At the end of the day you would still see Pennywise but NOT that Pennywise but a copy made by the Entity.

That said the Entity MAY be IT to begin with, its powers are similar so they can certainly find a way to justify that.

Finally IT may simply agree to scare survivors and then eat their fear, it works.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Jason would be a big suprise. The last info i had is that there is a license war going on and only god knows how long it will take to come to a conclusion.

Pennywise might be the worst killer in DBD history when we talk about lore. There is no possible way to explain why IT should serve The Entity. IT is far more powerful, it is the eater of worlds and a god in a macroverse where our universe got vomited by a turtle... And as far as i know there has not been a "Robert Grey" in real life so also that possibility gets ruled out.

• BunnyTheHutt

If Pennywise is a clone, then it's not really Pennywise, it's just an imitation.

Making The Entity It would also not work because of copyright.

And It only needs too feed every 20 something years, it doesn't make sense for him too be in the game even if he's ok with it.

Plus Steven King has said multiple times It is not going too DBD. He's already said it twice, don't understand why he'd agree on the third.

Unfortunately It won't work in DBD because of what It is. The only way it would work would be too say The Entity is stronger, which is kinda bs. Sorry but It will never fit DBD because of the lore of the character.