"iconic" next licensed killer

Options
luvcraft
luvcraft Member Posts: 1,230

BHVR says the next killer is gonna be an "iconic" horror movie monster, and I'm trying to figure out who it could be, and also thinking about other killers from movies that are still available. Here's what I have so far:

• Jason, of course
  • Candyman (who many people think is the most likely next licensed killer since there's a new movie coming out, and many of the other licensed killers have corresponded with their series getting rebooted)
  • Tall Man (Phantasm)
  • Pinhead (Hellraiser)
  • Fisherman (I Know What You Did Last Summer)

With "iconic" it almost seems like they might be going for a killer from something earlier, but Halloween pretty much started the slasher genre, and the only close thing before that would be Psycho, but I don't think Norman Bates would make a good DbD killer.

What do you think? Who else is there? I've been thinking specifically late 20th century horror, but I guess anything's fair game.

Comments

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Let's see: When I think "Iconic Horror Movie Villains" I think:

Jason Vorhees (Camp Crystal Lake would be amazing)

Chucky

Pinhead

Candyman

Dracula (A Castle would be a cool map, though is he licensed?)

Hannibal Lecter

Samara

Pennywise (Derry Maine would hopefully be better than Haddonfield)

Slenderman

The Thing

Norman Bates (The Bates Motel would be pretty awesome for a level)

Jack Torrance (The Overlook Hotel would be quite the location)

The Fisherman

The Miner

• luvcraft
    luvcraft Member Posts: 1,230
    Options

good list! What's the Miner from?

Dracula's public domain, so they wouldn't need to license him.

Chucky struck me as a fun idea, but I can't see him carrying survivors to hooks. 😀

I'm more familiar with Hannibal Lecter from Silence of the Lambs; maybe he's more slasher-ish in Red Dragon?

Overlook Hotel would be a GREAT level!

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

Miner would be from My Bloody Valentine.

Chucky, Jack Torrens, The Fisherman and several other iconic characters have the same issue for me: WHAT WILL THEIR POWER BE? Because truth be told, I can't think of a single power for most of the characters that people want in the game.

• OniWantsUrLocation
    OniWantsUrLocation Member Posts: 506
    Options

If they ever decide to bring Pyramid Head or The Keeper (from The Evil Within) into the game I will probably lose my mind. That would be fantastic.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640
    Options

Leaked audio of buzzing. I'm hoping it's The Fly.

• The_Horde
    The_Horde Member Posts: 107
    edited May 2020
    Options

The top of my wish list is Hannibal Lecter or a Jack Torrence chapter would be great.

An idea for Chucky would be to have Charles Lee Ray be the main killer and his power would be to transfer his soul into Chucky after a power up. I can't imagine it would be fair to have Chucky running around where no one can see him, and it would also look silly to have Chucky be a grown up size. Maybe to counteract the height difference you could have his rain stain also shoot up and forward? I don't know, but I would love a Child's play chapter. I would also love it if Brad Dourif could voice Chucky. I'm pretty sure he would be down for it, and he is voicing Chucky for the upcoming Child's Play TV series.

Candyman is also awesome. That was one of the movies that creeped me out as a kid because bloody Mary was also going around. Friday the 13th probably wont happen due to the lawsuit, but it'd be cool if they played a sneaky trick and squeaked it in. Please no Hellraiser, Pinhead is lame.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 602
    Options

It must be Jason - thats the only "jaw dropping" thing that can happen now. None of these others ones are jaw dropping.

Paulie Ester made a point about the board game getting made during the lawsuit. BHVR managed to pull it off too?

• TheMythicalCat
    TheMythicalCat Member Posts: 175
    Options

If that's true, then the killer is almost certainly Candyman. His whole thing is Bees, and is much more iconic.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

I would think Dracula. He's been there since the beginning, after all.

• Khallaria
    Khallaria Member Posts: 73
    Options

Who cares it's going to be fun and balanced in PTB. People will buy it in droves. And then it will get nerfed to the point of being useless like just about every other killer released since year 2. Why get excited?

• Khallaria
    Options
  • Mikeadatrix
    Mikeadatrix Member Posts: 890
    Options

Yeah, no, as someone who plays all four of the killers released in the last year religiously, your statement is dead wrong. Ghostface is good, if not broken, Demo is far more competent that most give him credit for, Oni is a better Hillbilly if you get your momentum early, and Deathslinger is just fun as hell and a beast in 1v1s. Nurse tier? Nah, definitely not. Useful and viable at red ranks? Absolutely. Stop being a doomer.

• LiquidSwordsman
    LiquidSwordsman Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2020
    Options

Remember from their news page regarding their 4th anniversary announcement, they mention a classic license that has "marked the world of horror since its inception." That likely means a horror character that made an impact not just in the movie industry, but also the media and many other forms of entertainment due to it's cult following.

So characters like Nemesis and Pyramid Head is highly unlikely since they don't meet that criteria. Granted they come from classic and memorable franchises, but they only left their mark in the gaming industry, that's not most of the world.

Slender man is a slight possibility since that character sparked up some media buzz awhile back and eventually became a movie.

Post edited by LiquidSwordsman on
  • Megaguardain
    Megaguardain Member Posts: 107
    Options

Licensed Chapters tend to be IPs that don't have something recent/upcoming with released dates. Like the Nightmare on Elm Street Chapter came out in 2017 and the last movie came out in 2010. Saw? DLC came out 2018, last movie came out 2010. It's similar cases with the other Licensed DLC, with the exception of Stranger Things.

Could it be Candyman? I know a lot of people suspect him, but I don't think it's likely BECAUSE of the movie coming out.

Could it be Chucky? Like Candyman, there's a recent movie so it's kinda unlikely.

Could it be Pinhead? It's likely since the last Hellraiser movie came out two years ago.

Could it be a Universal Monster? God I hope so. I want to see what BHVR does with something like the Mummy or the Creature from the Black Lagoon. It's likely it won't be the Invisible Man if it is, since they had a movie come out last year.

Could it be Pennywise? Doubt it. Pennywise seems too similar to the Entity in terms of power, both are primordial entities who feed off fear and can do weird reality warping things.

Could it be the Xenomorph or Predator? The Predator is very unlikely since it has a DbD-esque game out now. Maybe in the future? As for the Xenomorph, I can see it. The last movie came out three years ago and it's only been doing short films right now.

This is just my observation and hypothesis. I'm not dissing on the possibility of these characters being added in the future, I've just noticed a pattern.

• LiquidSwordsman
    LiquidSwordsman Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2020
    Options

Remember from their news page regarding their 4th anniversary announcement, they mention a classic license that has "marked the world of horror since its inception." That likely means a horror character that made an impact not just in movie, but also the media and many other forms of entertainment due to it's cult following.

So characters like Nemesis and Pyramid Head is highly unlikely since they don't meet that criteria. Granted, they come from popular franchises, but they only made their mark in the gaming industry, that's not really the entire world.

Slender man is a slight possibility since he sparked up some media buzz from the internet and eventually got a movie.

Post edited by LiquidSwordsman on
  • Khallaria
    Options

"Marked the world of horror since its inception."

So perhaps a classic killer what if perhaps we're going to something thats been in many forms of media i.e. novels and such say, dracula or wolfman or something of that ilk.

• domai36
    domai36 Member Posts: 89
    Options

I pointed that out too as a lot of people are overlooking that statement. The problem with that statement is that it doesn't make much sense. Horror is easily over 150 years old as a genre so I am assuming they mean horror movies, which aren't quite as old. Even still you have old films like Nosferatu. The problem is that none of these things are licensed to my knowledge. I would be curious to know the oldest horror IP. While I am sure there are a few outliers, I bet Stephen King is probably about as old as you get.

Not even close to the inception of horror, mind you. So either A) They made the statement in error, or B) It is a classic horror monster and is public domain = doesn't sound very emotional.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Obviously the next killer!

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Universal Classic Monsters only covers their take on those monsters. You and I could put out a Dracula vs Mummy movie right now and they could not do anything about it. Those characters are Public Domain.

That said, I think every potential licensed killer is less than impressive. I don't really want to see any of them in the game. If we are going to take a licensed killer, why not Kane from Poltergeist? The cult leader ghost figure. He was creepy as hell and there is plenty of vagueness to his character to do what they want with.

That includes survivor characters as well. I don't like the licensed survivor trade. They take good characters and put them in a game where they can't fight back and are basically cannon fodder. Ash from Evil Dead is a shadow of his normal character. I would hate to see other cool survivor characters get the same treatment. My wife mentioned it would be cool to see Dean and Sam from Supernatural until I reminded her that they would not be able to really fight back and are going to be stripped of all their strengths. She changed her mind pretty fast.

BHVR should stick to original content. I'd rather see them break out into short films (Creepshow style) about their characters as opposed to continuously slaughtering licensed characters.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

It can't be the Nemesis

Nikolai Zinoviev, and the Nemesis are getting add to RE Resistance in May

• finitethrills
    finitethrills Member Posts: 617
    Options

As much as I love Phantasm, the Tall Man, and murder dwarves, it's really not all that iconic and didn't really leave a huge mark on horror. 97% of people have never even heard of flying metal brain drilling death balls, even though they would objectively be THE best killer power ever, not to mention a perk in which little hooded munchkins pop up and prevent a survivor from dropping a pallet. The downside is that the survivor would probably have a 4 barrel over/under/side by side shotgun.

• finitethrills
    Options

Don't forget Nosferatu, one of the most influential horror movies ever released. Also the Blob.

• Megaguardain
    Megaguardain Member Posts: 107
    Options

I had an idea for a Nosferatu-esque Killer that I never posted and I saw something in the suggestions for a Blob inspired Killer. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what the new Chapter is in a couple weeks

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,514
    Options

Where was this leaked? Haven’t heard/read something about this except here.

this would be another hint towards Candyman..

• finitethrills
    Options

It will. I seriously doubt it'll be either of those. They definitely influenced the world of horror, but it's hard to imagine them having an emotional connection to either, and their influence and iconic status have faded in the modern Era. Even black Christmas, arguably the first slasher, and definitely the one that set the template for the slasher genre overall, isnt really much remembered any more.

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,525
    Options

While they may not be relevant to the Horror market of today, when you are talking Classic Horror characters,

Pinhead

Tall Man

Candyman

are VERY Iconic. Hell, I'd even argue for the Toxic Avenger to be added to the list of Iconic Horror monsters.

• finitethrills
    edited May 2020
    Options

Pinhead is really the only iconic one on that list.

While I like Candyman, and dearly love Phantasm, they were both both movies with very little mainstream presence and mostly a niche, cult following.

Iconic is literally in the name. You can go anywhere in the world and show people a certain hockey mask, and it will be instantly recognized. The silhouette of a xenomorph, or the face hugger. A glove made out of knives. A guy with a head full of nails, a little doll with crazy hair. A green guy with bolts in his neck. Etc. Those are icons. Candyman wasn't really widespread enough to ever reach it, even after it's cult status well after release. The tall man just isn't unique enough to trigger it. His little silver deathballs WOULD be, if it had been more popular.

That being said, I don't think those are excluded, necessarily. They are all well known to horror buffs, so it's certainly possibly BHVR is going to be using "iconic" kinda loosely considering the audience.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    Options

I want Peppa Pig tbh, think it'd be interesting, especially when you consider her actual height is 7 foot 1 or something, it'd be really creepy with her chasing you.

• finitethrills
    Options

Just stick the plague is an Amanda Halloween costume.

• infinity_on_switch
    infinity_on_switch Member Posts: 34
    Options

I'd crap my pants if it was Captain Spaulding from house of 1000 corps, devil's rejects. Doesn't meet the criteria but one can dream.

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
    edited May 2020
    Options

😂 Hold up last I checked the bee from bee movie is not a killer good try though 😀.

• FreakPrince
    FreakPrince Member Posts: 525
    edited May 2020
    Options

The devs will never put Candyman on the game because no one knows about him outside of the US. And also because he doesn’t wear a mask.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416
    Options

If you think so, why are you even playing? Just because you dont enjoy it, it doesnt mean nobody enjoys it.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522
    Options

Yep.

It's like I said in another thread, "Iconic" isn't really quantifiable, so people can use it loosely and it'll mean one thing to someone and another to someone else.

To some people, it's only the "Big 3" that are iconic at all. Jason, Freddy, Michael. They don't watch a lot of horror, so they don't even know the names of some of the others.

To some big wig at BHVR, Troll 2 could have been a huge influence on them. Somehow. Whatever.

So the usage of the word doesn't really exclude anything.

• SpookySZN
    SpookySZN Member Posts: 95
    Options

If no one knows him outside the US then I highly doubt the Demogorgon is known world wide either but yet it still made it in the game. When did wearing a mask determine who makes the cut? Freddy doesn't wear one.

• Dhaanm14
    Dhaanm14 Member Posts: 6
    Options

If it's a classic, like say Dracula or Wolf man, ect. They should try to also make it original like they did with ghostface, but way more creative. At that point it probably won't even need to be licensed lol

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899
    Options

Bruh if you think nemesis fits in that first list I can't even lol

• Dhaanm14
    Dhaanm14 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Right now the only ones that make sense are either Jason from Friday the 13th because of the loophole that the license has and the fact that it's all being released on the Friday the 13th the game's anniversary.

Pennywise from IT because it's the dev's favorite, and it's been hinted every now and then

Candyman, because there's alot of hints and theories in the art. Only thing is he's not that well known and he's been denied.

Any other killers are probably either not well known, or wouldn't make sense like Chucky from child's play, unless they made it work by some miracle.

• finitethrills
    Options

That depends. Specific depictions of the character can be copyrighted and therefore licensed. Such as Gary Oldman from Bram Stoker's Dracula (movie) .

Devs could add Dracula without a license, but not make him look just like the version in thst movie.

• finitethrills
    Options

Again, it depends. The difficulties of handling the noes license don't necessarily indicate anything about the f13 license. For quite a while, there was an absolute moratorium on new f13 products because of the lawsuit. Clearly, that's not the case any more. It may be as simple as getting both Miller and Cunningham to agree to shared revenue from the license. It may also be way more complicated. They could probably use Pamela just on agreement with Miller, alone. As far as I know, it was Jason specifically thst the judge declined to give an opinion on. That might free him up to be licensed by either party, or might lock him out to either party.

• hanibel
    hanibel Member Posts: 164
    Options

Pinhead most likely

• FreakPrince
    FreakPrince Member Posts: 525
    Options

You’re kidding, right? Stranger Things is a worldwide actual hit. Freddy has his face melted, which makes him scary, Candyman on the other hand is... meh. Boring, not iconic at all and uninteresting.