20 hours in, I don't get it.

Soapbar
Soapbar Member Posts: 60

I'm a relatively new player to the game. Been having a lot of fun with it. Mostly playing as Killer, but there's a problem.

About every 3 or 4 games or so, I get shouted at for "tunneling". I asked a few people about and came the conclusion I'm being asked to play as inefficiently while Survivors are allowed to play the game any way they see fit. Why should I, as Killer, not try to remove someone from the game as quickly as possible, as to deny them resources and repair speed? Because that's toxic, apparently. Killers should be "fair" to survivors.

Meanwhile Gens get done in the blink of an eye, sometimes before Killer has even found a single survivor. I don't have any of the anti-gen perks like Ruin, Corrupt or Pop, the closest I have is Unnerving Presence and Distressing (I mostly play Trapper), which rarely results in anything because you have to have Parkison's to fail a skill check even with Unnerving.

I've found most of the time trying to be "fair" to survivors results in no kills or 1k's, occasional 2k's and a lot of t-bagging at exit gates. The exceptions are when survivors just, don't look at their feet and fall into traps like a Scooby Doo villain.

If you want me to stop "tunneling" then I need an incentive not to just delete someone from the game ASAP so that Gens stop getting repaired at FTL speeds. Would require changes to both sides. Slowing Gen Speed and perhaps giving unhooked survivors some sort of buff like a free Sprint Burst or even invuln frames after being unhooked.

Comments

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Just play your game as ju like. There are no rules but some survivors just wants to win so much they want you to play "fair". If you want to use tunneling as a strategy then do it.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826

You'll run quite frequently into the "Survivors Rulebook For Killers". Pretty much every action a killer can take is in there as a no no, including doing nothing. No way to win against the handbook, just kill people.

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267

Don't listen to them, just play how you wanna play. If they call you any names so what! If you didn't do any of that then you shouldn't have to prove anything to random people. If ya did then so what! It shouldn't matter cause you play how you wanna. Good luck on future games and just do you.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

I just played a game as plag vs 3 red ranks and a purple

I have'nt plagged in a minute. One of the red ranks was afk. I didnt realize it until on of the hooked red ranks died because nonone save them. I found the afk survivor and hooked camped them while doing spew spew spew at their hooked body.

I hate afk'ers, and i don't want the other team to suffer because they have one player who gives up just because.

• animalmak
    animalmak Member Posts: 399

I don't understand messaging people angrily about their play styles because I can just play another game and hope for better, and honestly messaging someone to complain is just immature. If someone did something against the rules, there's a nice little "thumbs down" button at the end screen you can press, and I've used it before (but not for tunneling bc it's not against the game rules).

But just as a survivor, I don't like being tunneled because then I feel like I don't get to interact with the game as much. And like... I like playing. It's why I bought it. I want to be able to do all aspects of the survivor objectives, but if I get hard tunneled off my first hook and then again off my second, I can't do much. If I'm playing with friends it becomes more frustrating because now I have to wait even longer.

I get that there are alternatives to all this. I can get better at looping (I'm working on it), or I can play solo (I do plenty when I'm the only one on).

And I get that sometimes when you come back to the hook, the only person you find is the person who just got unhooked. I play killer too, just not as often. I don't consider it tunneling to return to the hook if you're not in a chase (or if you're in a chase where you're getting out-looped), and if you can't find the unhooker because they're some immersed player that abandoned the person they just unhooked without healing them, then... well, you've gotta kill people still. /shrug What I usually do then is slug the unhooked person and see if I find someone nearby. This makes it seem less tunnel-y, but also helps eat time if they've got DS.

I would definitely try to get Corrupt Intervention though. I only have it on my Plague atm because I haven't leveled anyone up enough to get Teachables (other than my Ghostface), but having those three gens blocked off at the beginning forces survivors to move closer to you or do other objectives for a time. In your case as Trapper, that's good because it gives you more set-up time.

TL;DR - Ignore the immature people that waste their breath messaging dumb things, and just work toward expanding perk base to have a good load out. It helps as you move forward!

• Soapbar
    Soapbar Member Posts: 60

first off

Second off, why is the onus on me, the Killer, to fix the problem with BHVR's game. Why should I have to ignore (or even detriment) one of my prime objectives to kill people? Because it's unfun for the survivor? Doesn't that mean there's a problem with the game then?

Do you even realize how much easier the game becomes for killer with even one person dead? It's simple math. 2 Survivors dead is almost always a win for the killer, especially if there's 2 or more gens remaining. The game's design encourages you to kill as early as possible.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

It should just not be as rewarding as Killer to play this way. But saying that genspeeds are the cause of this is just not true. You just want an ez game and that’s okay and sadly it is designed this way. but then don’t complain that someone isn’t happy that you ruined their game.

You are also complaining about genspeeds and ask for nerfs as well, even though you are already using cheap strategy’s that ensure a good outcome for you. Guess what you would do with longer genspeeds: use the same tunnel-strat and have more ez games than before.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

Not to tin-foil hat, but I have a alt-account that has even fewer hours. Your whole post betrays knowledge in detail of a number of topics and being current on community debates that a new player simply wouldn't possess. That's why this thread smells bait from a mile.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and I'll tell you this. Play however you want. The others can do the same. You can 100% ignore their complaints and don't be surprised if yours will be ignored as well. You keep doing your tunnel thing and they'll keep doing their gen fly thing, as you said. Everybody's focused on their own backyard and then, when you'll have more hours, don't be surprised to realize how bad the health state of this game is.

• Inaruslynx
    Inaruslynx Member Posts: 14

Usually I hate following one survivor for too long. I feel like I'm wasting my time. Usually they are very skilled at looping and are doing it to distract me. There isn't a great pay off for catching them after 2 min chase if at all since I have ######### perks.

If they are the designated looper, you'll know when you go off to check a Gen, they'll follow. At that point I know they are going to try their best to prevent me from completing any of my objectives. That's when I play as dirty as I can and do my best to return the favor. If I can get someone that person becomes bait, because that's the only way to possible catch someone with a God flashlight and perks that let them fly off like Speedy Gonzales.

Mostly I run around patrolling gens and that is fun, but in general tunneling is boring and can result in a huge waste of time for me with few points.

• Noob27
    Noob27 Member Posts: 14
  • KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Tunnel all you like, but don't complain when the tactic stops winning you games when you face survivors with DS/BT/etc...

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

Whenever I read a thread like this I can't help but feel like I'm attending a killer support group meeting :)

Hello,

My name is Space Coconut.

It's been 2 matches since I last tunneled a survivor.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

Common courtesy...from a supernatural serial killer...never have I ever not laughed when people say goofy things like this 😂

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

I have Parkinson's. :(

(You decide how you play. In high ranks tunneling doesn't work anymore, because DS and BT exists. And most survivors understand tiles and know the optimal looping route.)

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060

Ignore them. When they say "nice tunnel" my respond is pretty much "Well thank you, if you want to I can bring an ebony mori next time :D"

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

I've done perkless trapper at red ranks before the new MM system, remember this, trapper is a set up killer not a chase killer like clown, freddy, billy, etc, learn to set up fast, don't use distressing I don't think other killers than doctor can use it well, but if you can afford Plague/Clown get them and unlock pop and corrupt, also infectious fright.

Watch Otzdarva for trap placements.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

They way how you speak doesn't sound like 20 hours at all. Smurf or what?