Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Universal Copyrights

Sziosis
Sziosis Member Posts: 198

I've been looking around and I know I'm not the first to notice this.

We already have Myers which is owned by Universal, but Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman are also all owned by Universal.

My brain can't shake this fact and I'm stuck believing Frankenstein is the next chapter.

I can definitely be wrong, but I'm making my bet on this one.

On a side note, What if we get a whole set of classic movie killers in the next few chapters? Just a thought.

P.S. I know Candyman is owned by Universal, but I'm stuck in my belief.

Comments

• domai36
    domai36 Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2020

From what I have read and from my own interest in the genre, only the popularized likenesses have any potential copyright infringement basis. The actual characters themselves - at least dracula and frankenstein's monster - are public domain.

For what it's worth, your theory does hold some water still, as they did say 'since (horror's) it's inception', and not many characters go as far as back Shelley's creation.

• Sziosis
    Sziosis Member Posts: 198

I know Frankenstein is public domain, but the Monster's likeness (played by Boris Karloff) is owned by Universal. From what I read, they rarely enforce that copyright, but it is theirs to do so. As for Dracula, I'm not sure if the likeness of the original Dracula movie is copyrighted.

• domai36
    domai36 Member Posts: 89

Yeah that's what I read as well. From what I could find on Dracula, there was a license when Lugosi was still alive - perhaps just to be able to market the character with his likeness. Can't find anything after that. Dracula looks like a safe bet, Frankenstein's Monster yes but if they want the Karloff version they will have to probably work it out with Universal.