Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why does latency always go to the killer

VectorRises
VectorRises Member Posts: 68

I have videos were I am well passed and way beyond the killers hit radius y is that I am still being hit... can anyone answer how about the developers.. it’s broken way broken

Best Answer

• Fiv55
    Fiv55 Member Posts: 350
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓

The game was peer2peer at the start and well beyond. The issue with p2p however is, that all survivors have a direct connection to the killer (killer = host). This can be used to DDoS his connection. Also it wouldnt really be any different if he lags: you wouldnt move (or barely, with teleports back) on his & your screen and he'd down you. So there were killers that intentionally flooded their connection in order to gain advantage.

The only real solution would be dedicated servers that host the game (including hit detection). But they'd need way more server power to achieve the same amount of lobbies.

Answers

• Fiv55
    Fiv55 Member Posts: 350

Yes its an issue with latency + how the game works. Dedicated servers just moderate the game, you sync up your gen progress, healing, item usage etc with the server - works fine. But hit detection is done on the killer side, so that the server does not have to emulate the whole map/game. In order to make hit detection work on servers, they'd have to render all the objects, get the information from the killer and surv, compare these and decide whether or not it was a hit.

If the killer has a bad connection, then ur position wont be refreshed on his end. Meaning that his game verifies the hit and passes that info along to the server. Even tho you're miles away from the killer, he'll still down you. Thats why some players suggested to show the killers ping while being in a lobby, to determine if you want to deal with it or not.

• VectorRises

@Fiv55 That is stupid then why waste time on the game if there going to put me in a laggy lobby and not with players that have the same connection as me to make the playing field level. Smh I should have just finished game development while I was in school

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited May 2020

Most actions in the game are processed server-side. Hit detections are one (if not the only) exception. The devs have confirmed that they are working on minimising the effect of latency so that it feels fairer for both sides, but hit detection will probably always be killer-side. The reason for this is essentially that, as bad as it feels to get hit from a long way away as a survivor, it feels way worse as a killer to "hit" a survivor and watch your weapon go straight through them. Imagine if you never knew whether or not the game was going to register you hitting the button to get a skillcheck - it's kind of like that.

• VectorRises

@Fibijean I watched your video and they contradicted themselves a lot. They have a lot of work to do it seems like they messed up some where down the line of the updates

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

My video? Are you talking about the Technical Livestream?