No automatic struggle?

Mew
Mew Member Posts: 1,832

From the dev stream today, they said that they weren’t gonna implement an automatic struggle mechanic because “they want you to be present in the match” and that “it feels real”

this is just... really stupid, to be honest. Nobody is gonna leave their computer because they were hooked a second time. Also, wouldnt this mean that people would also tab out on their first hook?

besides, people have real life issues that make this actually painful, like carpel tunnel. So i realy dont understand why it cant be a feature across the board.

(also, sorry for grammar mistakes if there is any, low key typing this at 5am)

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Holding the button is actually worse for people with carpal tunnel, I think.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

This is the one reason why I hate using Camradrie

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

I think automatic struggle should have been in the game a long time ago and it's still not in. It's not fun to just keep taping the button and sometimes because of lag or something else, you die because the game did not recognize that you pressed the button...

• Dolls
    Dolls Member Posts: 395

There are cheap controllers that can tap the button for you, for people who dont like the struggle.

• Dolls

Im a survivoir main and I like the struggle. Ive never broken a controller over it either...if people keep breaking controllers thats on them.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

I don't buy you lol.

What exactly is it that you like about it?

• DwightOP

I doubt that, you could simple rest your whole hand on the spacebar

• DwightOP

What's bad about tab out? Exactly, nothing. It's a strawman reason to justify this stupid mechanic. The devs are probably to proud to admit it's stupid.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I don't because that's what I heard from people with carpal tunnel who complained about having to hold a button for a prolonged period of time. Of course, they weren't trying to rest their entire hand on the button, I think that would actually be OK.

• Dolls

There are things I enjoy about it. 1 it keeps me involved in game play. Like even when I'm slugged(as boring as that is) I can still crawl around. When I'm hooked I can struggle.

2 It helps when I see people trying to farm me I can just leave the match since I'm obviously not seen as a teammate during those times.

• Name_Unavailable
    Name_Unavailable Member Posts: 519

If you play with Mouse and Keyboard use macro, You can use it for Struggle, Wiggle, Holding M1, It will make the game way better.

• DwightOP
    edited May 2020

You can move your mouse and scout the map for your team and the killer. That's more involved than pressing a button like a braindead monkey.

Who said that you couldn't ######### anymore when it's automatic?

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262

Press L1+R1 to auto struggle on toggle

Or base auto same again to give up

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited May 2020

There are free software macros that you can use if you're on PC. The one I use was a hassle to set up but at least I dont have to let myself die on my second hook any more.

Mouse wheel, clicking, button mashing. It all made me feel like I was running a knife through my hand after 1 match. I know at least some of the Devs must have similar issues, but apparently "immersion" (not a factor after your first few hours) is far more important. And given the fact that it's the only aspect of the game that has such an issue even without medical problems I genuinely cannot fathom why it still exists.

Yesterday, Claudette suicided, admitted she cramped in the post-game and literally couldn't keep mashing. Today, a Jane died right as I was about to pull her off, same thing. About a week ago I was in a match where someone died because their key stopped working. It was apparently the second key they had bound to "struggle" that was now broken. These are just the examples I can remember somewhat clearly. Maybe I'm just getting unlucky teammates, it's a possibility. I know for a fact that in the last week I've had at least half a dozen teammates die halfway through their struggle phase (practically every other match), but I don't know if they actually gave up or not. Maybe I'll start asking in the post game.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,247
    edited May 2020

I get that they want it to "feel real", but it doesn't. After a certain amount of hours, the novelty of the mechanic wears off and it becomes a huge annoyance. I personally don't like repetitive gimmicks that I can't opt out of. I shouldn't have to re-bind it to the scroll wheel or make a macro. I have 1600 hours. It's stupid and I don't want to do it.

• Smeson
    Smeson Member Posts: 43

Survivors complaining about playing the game now, never thought I would see that honestly

• Dweeteater
    Dweeteater Member Posts: 37

This is something that you don't know you'll miss until its missing and gone. It adds some tension to an otherwise boring, non-interactive time for survivors. The 40-50 somethings with ailments pushing for change is kind of ridiculous lol. Only in DBD.

• Akito
    Akito Member Posts: 673

In this world you can't make it right for all. I like this mechanic it's unique these days and I like the interaction with the game. Like when you started a mori by clicking. Yea people spammed it but it felt interactive like I would be more involved in doing this.

And I would uninstall immeditely if I can't even choose to die at all. I hate that mentality of people "yea stay in this game!!!!!!" I hate it. IRL I also have a choice of killing myself or going on and trying. And I am sure I am not the only one who thinks that way.

• NotDBD
    NotDBD Member Posts: 182

I think it could be nice to see something a bit different. When you are new to the game it's fine, but I am about 1.5k hours so I can only imagine how many times I've pressed space.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793
    edited May 2020

This is a great point. If anything I'm MORE engaged during the first hook. Why? Not because I have to mindlessly mash a button but because I'm thinking "If you SOBs let me get to the 2nd phase..." Lol

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I would say

Give 1 skill check every 15sec, fail 1 progressing for another 5sec, success all 4 skill check grant you another 10sec. Skill check zone is not affected on Killer's perks

• xEzekanarioX
    xEzekanarioX Member Posts: 378

Never forgot when i was in the hook and the killer lag switched me. What a happy end for him lol.

• Smeson
    Smeson Member Posts: 43

So what do you play for? Honestly, as a survivor you hold M1 and struggle sometimes. Is the running the only gameplay then? I know survivor is boring dude, but you seem to wanna remove even more stuff for them to do

• Lorak
    Lorak Member Posts: 2

Please change it sooner rather than later, because this mechanic is such a massive issue for some people, it adds literally zero entertainment value to the game, and it actively makes some people not want to play, or even completely unable to play the game as survivor. I am flabbergasted that it has actually lasted four years in the game with the amount of complaints you get about it. It doesn't help that the speed required for the tapping is actually rather difficult, WAY more than is required for a "are you still at the computer?" check.

• DwightOP

I remember the game called little nightmares rn. In order to climb or hold on things you had to HOLD M1. This mechanic actually made it feel so realistic and gave a real atmosphere and connection to me. Button smashing just makes me feel like a moron and I'm always embarrassed to do that with people around me. They look at me like I'm disabled or something lol

• DwightOP

Yep exactly. That's why I'm 100% sure the devs initially thought it's a cool mechanic to add but after so many complains and devs still not chancing it they just stick to any excuse to justify it. They probably have a false proud and don't want to admit they are wrong about certain design choices. Or at least the leader of bhvr.

• Dolls
  • DwightOP

When I explained them I play a game called dbd they responded "well good to know which garbage title I should never buy, thanks nerd" lmao

• Respectfulnancymain
    Respectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816

Have you ever played survivor at a rank higher then 20?

• Akito
    Akito Member Posts: 673

I actually would prefer a key combination you have to press like ">>^ADW" You have to do it fast and after completing one combination another follows 5 seconds later with even more keys to press. I would like that. Imagine how many people (even not on drugs) would die :)

Simple way to say that your idea is gameplay wise boring af. Isn't it enough holding 80 endless seconds m1 for a gen? Can we stop implementing things were people have to press buttuns for hours like the never ending story.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Button mashing as it currently stands isn't fun either and hurts people's hands so I don't see your point.

For the devs have you considered having the button mashing being replaced entirely with periodic(~ every 8 seconds after the previous one was completed/failed) skill checks and failing X number of them in a row kills you but you can also hold space to give up.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470
    edited May 2020

You dont have to significantly change it. You can adjust few things:

1) Dont kill survivors who do not struggle. AFK survivors will continue to hurt their teams, but, at least, they wont instantly die on the 2nd hook.

2) Dont give bp to survivors who do not struggle.

3) Give bp to survivors who want to struggle.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) Ok, if you support suicides and you want to keep it, you can add a ''suicide'' button.

EDIT: Wait, we do have the ''Leave Match'' button. You dont have to add more suicide buttons. Just give bp to people who struggle and dont give bp to people who dont like it.