Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How do you hit with Huntress's hatchets?

KingFrost
KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Trying to do the dumb challenge, but I can't hit the broad side of a barn and its frustrating the heck out of me. And of course the survivors have to teabag on their way out after an easy match with 0 hooks. I cannot play Huntress. I just want to complete this stupid rift challenge.

Comments

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

Okay.

You have to imagine them as hitboxes, not as people.

Imagine them as Pills, not as people, try aiming for their invisible tail.

Skip to 5:35 and you'll see what I mean.

• brubli
    brubli Member Posts: 214

Probably the easiest way (other than farming) would be to just walk up to them and try to hit them. It can be hard but you will have 5 tries to do so and most survivors won't run unless you hit them. I would say to hit them as they are vaulting something but i think it has to be a fully charged hatchet right? You could also watch this Scott video where he talks about landing hatchets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQRDijaX5Io or you could just farm with the survivors at the end.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

I don't. 🤣

I'm pretty trash at it. Especially with obstacles in the way, I'll track the survivor, throw, and then realize I just threw it right into a tree.

• KingFrost

Thanks for all the advice. Finally got it thanks to a survivor who let me hit them a couple times at the exit. Still need to learn to do better, cause I'm guessing we're getting more hatchet challenge in Tier 3 and 4 of the tome. Probably shouldn't play two games in a row as her to avoid frustration, though.

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649

Personally... I am a god at it!...... God of complete buttsucking idiot! I hit 1 every 15 throws, and if i do is by using the good old, make survivors run into the throw and not the other way around. And 15 might be a bit optimistic...

Can't aim for ######### with a controller...

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,933

Just aim and don't miss 4head.

• KingFrost

I don't think it helped that every time I play Huntress I swear it gives me Yamaoka Estate, where I can't see survivors for anything.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Try getting in closer before you charge a hatchet. Long range shots may be flashy but are much easier to miss.

Also, get good at mind-gaming loops. One advantage of Huntress is not having to break pallets to gets downs, if you win the mind-game.

• SurviveByDaylight
    SurviveByDaylight Member Posts: 720
    edited May 2020

I feel like huntress is one of the best killers in the game (and Freddy and nurse). Iri heads are OP (you shouldn’t be able to combine them with infantry belt - that seems broken to me). But as far as aiming goes whenever I go up against a huntress and she’s throwing a hatchet at me they are almost impossible to dodge. My question to you is, how do you miss? 😂😂😂 The hitbox seems frustratingly large. Am I wrong? One hit down ranged attacks shouldn’t be this ridiculousY easy to get. I don’t find it very fun that a killer has the capability of ending chases and... quite possibly the game that fast. Hit with hatchet up close then swing (hatchet first means you don’t take a stun and keep moving). Fastest chase ending strategy I know. And you’re giving them up to 3 iris per locker reload? With no limit? Why are survivor add ons consumable but not killer ones? Makes no sense.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

When the game starts up the unmoved icon for the mouse or controller shows you the middle of your screen. This is the hatchets aim area.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

Have you tried playing Huntress? That’s the best way to understand. It may seem easy when you’re facing someone who is practised with her, but it definitely isn’t easy your first few games.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
  • csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Actually playing MANY games as her in a row is absolutely necessary. I play her pretty much exclusively except for challenges and dailys and still have a hard time hitting things.

Actually nurse is harder to me. With huntress you can still chase someone down and mindgame to m1. Nurse is pure frustration, especially on console and controller.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Put a crosshair on your monitor.

• KingFrost

What does Iri head have to do with the topic at hand? The only add-ons I've been using are ones that reduce the time it takes to windup and the one that lets you see lockers. Aim isn't ridiculously easy, either. Especially if you've barely played the killer.

• TinyMoon3
    TinyMoon3 Member Posts: 45

Exactly what Peanits said. When I first started using Plague, it took a long time for me to learn how to aim her vile/corrupt purge attack. My choice of killers were pretty low back then. Mostly used Oni, Spirit, and Hag. Now, I use Oni, Spirit, Hag, Nurse, Trapper, Demogorgon, Plague, and DeathSlinger.

Still working on Blink distance with Nurse. Theres still times where I dont aim properly and I somehow turn into a Diglett until I Blink again.

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789

huntresses skill cap is through the roof, she is a very high risk high reward killer my advice for hitting short to medium range shots is to charge the hatchet and keep your screen in one spot a lot of survivors will try to juke your hatchet so they will turn one way then release when they turn back into the middle of your screen.

watch ScottJunds guide to huntress

• Meroko
    Meroko Member Posts: 107

I would suggest making a private 1v1 KYF where a friend helps you get target practice as Huntress. My mistake as Huntress when I first played was throwing low all the time, but once I did a 1v1 with a friend, I learned so fast.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

Best thing you can do is hold that hatchet for abit. If a survivor is running toward a window, pull out the hatchet and hold it. They'll often try to dod left and right to get ya to miss. Just let em weave for awhile and slowly walk towards them. If they start the vault animation on the window, let the hatchet loose. If theyre just goin left and right for awhile... Keep your aim to the middle of their path rather than trying to follow them left and right and release the hatchet when they pass infront of you.

Biggest thing here is patience... You dont gotta rush the throw and get the hatchet out of your hands asap. If need be, hold it up in the air for a good 5 seconds.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Enable your crosshairs like all other Huntresses and aim above the head and in front and behind them when you anticipate their moves or after they have vaulted to disable their defenses. Once you git gud, you'll be an unstoppable beast that only a polished SWF will give you any trouble. If you hate the survivors in your lobby, use some of her OP addons to guarantee your victory. She's immune to nerfs because she's a dev's favorite so you can enjoy her for the life of the game.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Throwing hatchets at survivors is like fishing with dynamite. But if you want to land 2 easy charged shots go for windows when they are vaulting. Run infantry belt with flower babushka

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678

Sshhh, you will expose how I am a god tier deathslinger.

To the OP, throw a hatchet in their general direction and collect your free downs.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

I dont use addons as she's one of my mains, but I commend you on the ability to use the File and see all the lockers at all times. That addon alone makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

• w_sohl
    w_sohl Member Posts: 124

Her targeting send to be slightly left of dead center too.

• bluedog1116
    bluedog1116 Member Posts: 27

Go to McDonald's hook up to their wifi and let hit boxs do the rest. Okay don't do that but just go with the flow

• Azael
    Azael Member Posts: 15

It doesn't look like you're still monitoring this but just in case, I wanted to point out that you don't have to go for challenging hits. For example while a survivor is vaulting or throwing a pallet the can't dodge and are pretty much standing still (more so for pallets than vaults) and that way you don't even have to have good aim at all.

• zireael_
    zireael_ Member Posts: 25

Question. If you're at a very bad spot for her, like a path pallet, do you just drop chase or hold W?

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Step 1: Charge hatchet.

Step 2: Pick husband.

Step 3: Throw hatchet.

• OracleOfFilm
    OracleOfFilm Member Posts: 11

Don't panic. Only throw when you are sure of your shot.

• Kate_cx
    Kate_cx Member Posts: 181

Although it depends on experience, I think the predominant reason why people regularly miss their hatchets is because of two reasons.

1. Huntress beginners (the majority) do not have much experience with aiming hatchets on dead by daylight, of course it takes time to learn Huntress' power so they'll have a hard time accomplishing hatchet throws.
    2. Some Huntress's, if not the large majority get really competitive and have trouble timing their shots. This is sometimes known as competitive anxiety (I've fallen a victim to this many times). When we get competitive anxiety we tend to lose our patience and end up rushing things. This is why most people panic slightly when aiming and usually miss afterwards because of how competitive it is between trying to get a precise shot on a survivor who looks back while in a chase.
  • Kate_cx
    Kate_cx Member Posts: 181

Although it depends on experience, I think the predominant reason why people regularly miss their hatchets is because of two reasons.

1. Huntress beginners (the majority) do not have much experience with aiming hatchets on dead by daylight, of course it takes time to learn Huntress' power so they'll have a hard time accomplishing hatchet throws.
    2. Some Huntress's, if not the large majority get really competitive and have trouble timing their shots. This is sometimes known as competitive anxiety (I've fallen a victim to this many times). When we get competitive anxiety we tend to lose our patience and end up rushing things. This is why most people panic slightly when aiming and usually miss afterwards because of how competitive it is between trying to get a precise shot on a survivor who looks back while in a chase.
  • JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

I put a little piece of masking tape on the center of my screen as a base point to work off of since there's no crosshair then I experimented with the lob by throwing a few at various distances to start to get a feel for it. Then it's just hoping survivors stand still long enough or run in a straight line to get the hit.