Imagine a new player coming to the game

Options
Zagrid
Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000

With the anniversary coming and probably a new licensed killer (pinhead) coming as well. New and returned players will be headed for DbD.

The issue is right now DbD as a new player experience is the worse it has even been ever especially for killer.

With matchmaking almost never pairing you with people in the same color rank as you anymore a new player with no perks, no experience, no game knowledge, and no reason to put up with day to day DbD BS. It’s a terrible waste of time, at least to them.

As a new killer you have to contend with learning all of the mechanics of each killer you want to play, learning the maps and what stuff leads to where, learning how to loop efficiently, and finding out mid game all of the 16 survivor perks you have never even scene.

If you ever wonder why killers in low ranks camp and tunnel, it’s because it is the only thing they can do the stand a chance against the fully kitted out survivor side they are facing with only 1 perk and probably no add ons.

Not to mention the queue times encouraging survivor play mid day and killer play at night. When it is statistically more likely to face a SWF sweat squad trying to ruin some killers enjoyment of the game.

All is this is backed up by XQC where he streamed DbD and had this exact experience.

Something needs to change. First things first would be the ranking system being useless if the players you get are all in different color ranks.

Also the argument rank doesn’t matter is so played out. It matter when a rank 20 is compared to a rank 1. But it doesn’t matter from rank 10 to rank 1.

Thank you for coming to my TedTalk

Comments

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

Except matchmaking at that time was better, meaning a rank 20 killer or even 16-ish didn’t fave instaheals very often. They faced survivors with few perks and no real looping knowledge. So they were kind of bad at killer but the survivors were generally bad too unless they had smurfed.

Now a rank 20 killer could quite literally have his first 10 games against a team of red ranks. Even if those are solo players and not the cream of the crop that killer is going to STRUGGLE.

I talk about the matchmaking from Very recent experience, I’m capped at million blood, dailies, etc so I played killer for my girlfriend to get her some points and she is at 20 because she only plays survivor, I faced nothing but red rank teams all night for about three hours. Now even with good perks I put up a good fight... but can you imagine a brand new player in that situation? It would be enough to make you quit.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

That's a good point. I forgot awful matchmaking for a second.

• johnmwarner
    Options

Oops I meant to say even without good perks I put up a fight, But like I said imagine someone who starts playing just because of Jason/candy man/ whatever and those are his first games... he’s quitting

• johnmwarner
    Options

That’s the key thing, all of your points about killer being easier now are 100% spot on... but it still isn’t easy enough that a baby rank 20 can face red or even purple ranks and do well/have fun for long.

• infinity_on_switch
    infinity_on_switch Member Posts: 34
    Options

I'm new and I love the game.... So there is that.

• Yamaoka
    Options

Yupp that's a legit point I completely forgot. Matchmaking wasn't as messed up as it is now. I did face a few red ranks when I was new (I remember it because one specific red rank is now a friend of mine as he was really polite post game) but other than that I can't remember matchmaking being all that messy back then.

• Chloan
    Chloan Member Posts: 91
    Options

Anyway, it goes without saying, that it's very difficult for new players to adapt. Forgetting about sweety SWF and experienced players, there are many newbies and everage players who get outplayed at every tile. I think, you know better than me what happens when a good killer or good survivors face this kind of players. I always call it "the kindergarten massacre".

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options

Said it better than I could've

Ever had a gen pop in less that 5 seconds after the match starts?

I didn't think so.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    edited May 2020
    Options

Oh please its never been an easier time to pick DBD as a killer and play. No old DS, exhaustion perks got crippled, Mettle Of Man was banished to the shadow-realm, Hawkins, Springfield, The Game, The Oni, Freddy, maps like Corn got huge QOL buffs that made it a lot easier, max potential pallets in a map got uber crushed

Everything you are describing is typical of every game, except for the fact you are trying to say its now "Harder" in all capacities for a new killer to learn the game

It ain't even CLOSE

• ZFennecFox
    ZFennecFox Member Posts: 510
    Options

To be completely fair I think the recent changes have essentially skewed the player base enough that Killers are in short demand.

On console I am red rank in both and I honestly go up against more green and brown Killers then I should.

However I think the game just throws people who have been waiting in the first lobby that has an opening be it Killer or Survivor.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    edited May 2020
    Options

I've just started playing DBD again after taking a break since about November (Final Fantasy XIV took me away!). It's crazy to me to see that they still haven't addressed any of the rampant quality-of-life issues in this game, especially the ones impacting new players.

• The tutorial still teaches nothing.
    • Perks are still an unreasonable Sisyphean climb.
    • There's been no UX overhaul of any kind.
    • They still haven't reworked major move-the-goalposts-entirely build options like moris and keys.
    • There's still no reward for seasonal rankings.
    • Matchmaking is still a hot mess.
    • There's still no compelling reason to prestige characters.
    • Still lacks even the most basic of game options in 2020 (resolution, brightness, colorblind settings, reticule for ranged attacks, etc.).

Like, what has even happened in the past six months? I see that Oni and Deathslinger were added, and Doctor was remade (and is much better now). Anecdotally, ragequit disconnects seem to be down across the board. And I guess it is slightly healthier that survivors' item add-ons do not persist upon escape without the use of a perk or offering. But other than that, it doesn't seem like anything is better.

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621
    edited May 2020
    Options

In my opinion whilst those things were quite overpowered, survivors are a lot more optimal now then they were back then. Meaning the survivors didn't repair the generators as quickly as they do now (unless they all had a brand new part). Personally I think whilst the game is more balanced then it ever has been, playing killer is currently harder now.

There's a lot of tutorials available to new players on youtube. Tutorials helped me a lot when I first started playing DBD in July 2018, whilst I started playing DBD two years after release, I rate myself as a good survivor and an average killer.

Whilst there's more perks now, there's only handful perks that are actually useful, for both survivor and killer.

EDIT: I often coach new players as well as some experienced players, so I have some experience in how new players learn the game.

Post edited by Nutty_Professor on
  • ShErMaDeRmA
    ShErMaDeRmA Member Posts: 338
    Options

This just makes me think, what type of evil would reccomend this game to a newbie, only true monsters would bring about that kind of suffering

• Clinton
    Clinton Member Posts: 343
    Options

The grind is REAL in this game. Just hit devotion 5 and only have all perks on two killers and two survivors

Only one P3 character

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Options

I guess it is slightly healthier that survivors' item add-ons do not persist upon escape without the use of a perk or offering

I'd argue it actually makes the grind worse and the game less healthy as a result. Sure it happens to Killer add-ons, but that doesn't mean making it happen to Survivor add-ons is an improvement.

Ideally, both sides should be able to keep their add-ons when meeting certain requirements. That would be a step forward. But instead they're just dragging Survivors down to our level.

Also, White Wards don't protect Survivor add-ons, unlike their Killer equivalent Black Wards, they just protect the item - which can be lost anyway if the Killer uses Franklin's Demise - and why wouldn't you with all the Red Rank chuckleheads bringing Keys/Plunderer's basically every game.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826
    Options

I don't need to imagine it, I went through it. This matchmaking is ######### though it does seem to have improved slightly this week. I've been seeing more purples in my killer games and my red rank survivor games have been mostly against reds for once instead of endless greens and yellow.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

The new player experience has always had these problems as seeing a similar rank has never indicated a fair match up.

If we remember the old rank reset along with how easy it was for players to derank we can see changes have been made over the years to try and eleviate these issues it just that the more this happened the less spread the playerbase has become.

Hopefully something is discussed in the anniversary stream about the upcoming matchmaking changes.

• Rydog
    Options

This, pretty much. I have to imagine that the churn rate on this game is pretty crazy. I know most players can only really perceive these "Imagine a new player coming to this game threads" in the context of pure knee-deep gameplay implications, but most new players are going to give up on it before they really understand what the game is about, because the systems and user experience are impenetrable. DBD has a severe onboarding problem.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    Options

Got a friend that I tried to get into the game. He played about 10 hours worth and decided anymore was a waste of time. Lucky he got it on sale then.

Can't say I blame them in particular. There are many issues, and have been many issues with the game for a while obvi.

• matchmakingworksfine
    matchmakingworksfine Member Posts: 240
    Options

Gotta agree with him on that. When every map had millions of pallets and the inclusion of event based offerings that added more pallets? God loops and jungle gyms were at their worst and if you didnt now how to play nurse or Billy you were easy prey for the average red rank swf. Things have gotten alot better for killer.

• Rydog
    Options

I would argue that thinning out the add-on economy is a net benefit, because add-ons are a big part of this game's roulette wheel. If we collectively have to deal with terminally insane red add-ons in FEWER overall matches, it creates a healthier game experience.

• TheRockstarKnight
    edited May 2020
    Options

What insane pink add-ons are effected by this change though? BNPS and Instaheals are both less than insane (IMO) and are deleted on use anyway.

Are there any other Ultra-Rare Survivor add-ons? I mostly play Killer, but I'm pretty sure those two are the only ones.

I agree that add-ons are part of the big roulette wheel of this game; but I don't see how reducing the amount a Survivor can have improves the overall experience. You're still gonna run into people with instaheals and keys, and Survivors are still gonna run into Iridescent Head Huntresses and Instasaw Hillbillies

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options
  • Sylhiri
    Sylhiri Member Posts: 178
    edited May 2020
    Options

Odd, when I started Survivor was a lot harder then Killer. As killer there are the random matches where I get more experienced players that destroy me but in most cases I can go into a match with no add-ons and one basic perk and do fine. Many times better then fine as I usually let one survivor live when I could 4k. Sadly I remember I went AFK to get a drink in the middle of a match, survivors got 2 gens and I still killed them. Since it's way easier to get bloodpoints on killer then survivor I'm using all BP from killer to level up my survivors.

• TheRockstarKnight
    Options

But isn't a Battery and that one efficiency add-on the best add-on combo for a Flashlight?

What does an Odd Bulb do?

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

I've been going against grey/yellow ranks all week, while in purple. There's a lot of literally rank 20s with 1 or 2 perks. No wonder there is a lack of killers, because people will just leave after this bs. All they do is camp, but in the end it's a 4-5 gen run against the newbies with 10k bp for them. Mm is a mess.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688
    Options

I agree that new players coming to DBD now will have a hard time. It's a lot to learn, both on the killer and survivor side. Perks, maps, loops, etc. Too many survivors, too many killers, too many perks, too many maps and strategies. But a game going for the 4th year, it's expected to have a lot of things to learn. Anyway, sometimes I think the devs should slow down a bit on the new killers and survivors and give us better ajustments to the game, to benefit old and new players.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

It just blinds the killer really fast. Maybe theres a more efficient way but that will blind them stupid wuick and for awhile

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    edited May 2020
    Options

Dangit i was about to post that lol.

Edit added comments: I recommended this to my friends a while ago, it was fun wed play private lobbies and stuff but noone ever really played the base game besides me. Now? I wouldnt dream of asking anyone i know to try killer, its a dumpster fire of rage and salt. Plus without extensive knowledge of perks and addons survivor can basically cheat if you arent aware of the perks, heck even if you are some things are questionable at best

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Options

Not true, in SWF the matchmaking went off of the lowest rank in 2017, so one of the group could create a new account and the red ranks could be matched with new killers or just a noobie learning from friends.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

Jesus christ, how hard is it to understand that matchmaking is ######### for both sides? Its not an exclusive killer problem, I have gone against rank 17s as a rank 1 killer more times than I can count, and recently coming back to the game I went against a rank one when I was a rank 9 survivor.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

Who said it was an exclusive killer problem?

Another user said that starting to play killer is easier/more fun now compared to back in 2017 (they were talking specifically about killers, not players in general) and I explained that this isn't true because the non-existent machtmaking ruins everything. Simply as that. This is not a killers vs. survivors thing.

• Yamaoka
    Options

Wrong.

Flashlight types and flashlight addons have no effect on how long it takes to blind the killer. It used to be this way before the flashlight nerfs (before patch 1.8.3)

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

Theres no way thats true. Add on descriptions aside (which you can read if youd like), you can tell when someone has add ons because youre blinded longer and faster.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
    Options

Leaks by Daylight suggested that there are "MM codes" that were discovered and suggested that they would be talked about during the anniversary...

I'm going to be very interested in that segment if it's full of goodies.

• Yamaoka
    Options

Quote (patch 1.8.3.):

Odd Bulb: "Nerf: removed the Blinding Time reduction."

• Yamaoka
    Options

Read carefully. I'm not denying you can increase the blinding duration. The devs only removed the difference in blinding time. All flashlights need the same time to blind a killer regardless of addons.

That's why the new Odd Bulb description says "increases beam brightness" instead of "Tremendously increases the Flashlight's Beam effects" (patch 1.0.0)

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

Maybe im confusing how long it takes with how long your blind, I guess what i could be experiencing in game is some people have better accuracy? Sometimes it feels instant

• Yamaoka
    Options

Blinding duration is definitely still affected by addons so that could make you feel like someone has a strong flashlight and accuracy makes a hell of a difference as well. Some people adjust their camera before they even start blinding resulting in quick flashlight blinds whereas inexperienced players often flashlight your hair - or your genitals before slowly moving the light beam towards your face.