'toxic'

this game's community tends to call every thing toxic. clicking flashlights, crouching, pointing, nodding your head (for both the killers and survivors), tea bagging, or just other things that make the game fun, at least for me.

I played a match were the killer was on shack sort of patrolling it with a hooked survivor in the basement, I was hidden under the basement and started pointing at the hooked survivor and crouching at him, waiting for the killer to leave so I can safely unhook him. Later on the match he was the first survivor to die, waited for the entire match to end, so he could talk smack to me. I was just having fun.

An other time I got a killer that was kicking my ass, (one of those matches with 2 dead survivors and 5 gens remaining) and I got a pallet stun on him and pointed at him, in the endgame chat he was really salty.

My cousin was playing against a killer would've gotten a 4k but he let him escape. Then my cousin started pointing and nodding at the exit gate to play with the killer and show gratefulness. In the endgame chat the man was PISSED off.

And survivors are also toxic with this. Once I faked giving the last survivor the hatch, and then closed it in his front, I was just playing with him. Then the man snapped and said he was going to report me for being toxic and ruining the game experience for him.

This type of stuff is really common in this game, especially in this forum. Stop calling everything toxic, learn to have fun in the game without being a gross sweat

Comments

• Ghosty123
    Ghosty123 Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2020

To be honest in the higher ranks the majority of people do these things to annoy and not to have fun. Also what rank are you?

• felipao_brabo
    felipao_brabo Member Posts: 169

3 surv 6 killer

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Double standards again.

• VSchmitt
    VSchmitt Member Posts: 571

You really look like someone who'd play SWF against a grey killer and do all these things while smashing His face in the ground. Yeah... Not toxic at all...

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

I too think the word toxic is over used. I like "BM" better, or bad manners.

OP you have BM. You should be less of an asa

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678

Kappa

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

Imagine being that salty when facing a Spirit with Brown Add-ons and non-meta perks.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

The idea that any given action is "toxic" is an invented construct that a bunch of people have chosen to believe. This is an adversarial game; the opponent is going to be trying very hard to complete their objectives while preventing you from doing yours. This includes:

• Survivors flashlight stunning killers, which is intended use for this item.
    • Survivors pallet looping, and dropping pallets, trying to waste as much of the killer's time as possible.
    • Survivors body-blocking hooks or injured teammates.
    • Survivors completing generators quickly.
    • Survivors bringing strong perks, items, add-ons, and offerings.
    • Killers bringing strong perks, add-ons, and offerings.
    • Killers tricking survivors with mindgames at loops.
    • Killers using their powers to shut down pathways that might be safe vs. other killers.
    • Killers camping the hatch, or camping a three-genned map.
    • Killers slugging survivors.
    • Killers tunneling a really weak link that they know is dead on hook.
    • Killers camping one or more hooked survivors after generators are done/doors are open.

These are all part of normal play. These things are the game, they are the mechanics that constitute Dead by Daylight as a multiplayer game experience. These things are not toxic. Complaining about this stuff is like complaining that throws in fighting games are "cheap" or "dishonorable" or something. Get outta here with that.

If teabagging/crouching, flashlight clicking spam, nodding, or whatever is really all it takes to set you off, this might be the wrong game for you. I cannot fathom letting those kinds of small actions get me so angry that I don't have fun. It just is what it is.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Monstrous shrine op man, how can someone be salty for using non meta perks?

• SurviveByDaylight
    SurviveByDaylight Member Posts: 720

Yeah just hook him. Why are you toying with people’s time? I’d get mad too. You’re lucky he didn’t DC 😂 that’s what I would have done. If you’re not going to hook me because you want to milk some extra points well, I’m out. That’s not fun for me. People want their time to be respected. Just do your job as killer and kill them. Toying around with them or milking points is only going to backfire. Just get in and get out.

• Maievh
    Maievh Member Posts: 62

you nailed it. only thing in-game that's toxic is survivors purposely sandbagging teammates. End game chat on the other hand, spicy.

• Dead_by_Gadfly

End game chat and the messages I get, the general attitude of the communuty is absolutely toxic. Major turn off for new players. I uninstalled for like 6 months because of it.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

You can always just disable chat.

For my part, I just try to say "gg" even if I got completely destroyed, and then move on if I see the chat getting really salty. Take the wins and the losses in stride, compliment others if they were playing well, report players if they are being racist or abusive, and just don't engage with really angry players. Life is too short for that nonsense, and there are better ways for you to use your time and energy. This is general useful advice for all games, not just DBD.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

It really all depends on the context. Examples:

Somebody crouching up and down isn't toxic. Somebody pointing isn't toxic. Now, somebody that will throw down a pallet in front of a killer, and then immediately start just teabagging and pointing, that's a little toxic. I won't kill somebody for just doing a little "1-2" double crouch in front of me and then running away, but as I said it's situational. And no, before some douche comes and replies with something like "if it bugs you then stop playing blah blah," that's not what I'm saying. I just think it needs to be said that while something like using a flashlight in general isn't toxic really, something more specific like following the killer around and just clicking it a bunch to try and annoy them, is, in my opinion.

It's really a subjective thing, like how some people might think something is moral or immoral. Or, another concept I would compare it to is rudeness (since that's partially what toxicity is, kind of being bad-mannered or BM). To one person, releasing a loud belch in say, a library, might seem like no big deal, but I would still argue that a large amount of people still perceive it to be rude. As with toxicity, some people might not think something is toxic while others will, but I think most people will agree on certain things being toxic, such as intentionally sandbagging your team mates to get them killed, farming your team mates off hook, spamming audio (flashlights, rushed actions, etc.) Pretty much mostly things that are obviously not the way to play the game, and are mostly done by people who are just trying to be scummy.

• Dead_by_Gadfly

Yeah when i realized i could do that i reinstalled. Now I just block people.

• shwag
    shwag Member Posts: 417

You come across as a kid. 15 years old or younger ?

You sound like when my son walks into my room to describe to me something that happened in minecraft.

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678

Fresh salt from the salt mines

• PayneMacLeod
    PayneMacLeod Member Posts: 81

My favourite is when you see these survs teabagging at the end, and teasing and acting the fool. Then you slag one, and they run to the escape. It’s classical cowardly, chicken sh*t behaviour. “Yeah, I’m awesome because I can run away”. It’s like the kids trying to bully other kids, only to run and tell mommy as soon as trouble comes their way.

Teabagging and being a jerk isn’t toxic, it’s just rude, immature and stupid behaviour. It shows the level of maturity of the opponent, and I’m glad when people like this get beat and start to whine. These are the people that need to grow up. Or get out.

As far as “thanking the killer”? I just let them hit me one more time. Get the bp. Wave them over, walk up to them, get slashed, leave.

• felipao_brabo

It's called having fun in a game. Whenever a killer does it with me I laugh at it.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

this game is mild tbh, other games are way more toxic.

I remember un Ultima Online in the 90s we were horrible player killers and we could take your items, imagine if the killer could take your gear when downed hahaha

I was teabagging people I killed a decade before I played this game in WoW, nothing in this game is really new in regards to toxicity.

• felipao_brabo

I disagree, I play both killer and surv, I point at killers even if they are destroying me, and when I catch a survivor pointing at me and doing all thatshit I just face camp them, no matter how the game is going. Not because I get mad, but because I find it fun, especially in the end game chat

• felipao_brabo

yeah I guess you are right, its the internet though, who the hell cares about how many 'ands' I put in a sentence..

• Huff

Yeah, I'll facecamp a survivor pointing at me too. I think it's fun to put somebody in their place, don't get me wrong, but as I said, it's the context that matters to me. Like if the survivor points at me, and then waves to follow just because they're trying to show me something or some crap, I'm not going to immediately tunnel and camp them. However, if they're just teabagging and pointing at every pallet as I said before, I will be more likely to do it.

I'd like to know which part you disagreed with specifically.

• felipao_brabo

You said pointing and crouching is rude or toxic, that's the part I disagree with. People need to change their mentalities while playing a game

• Huff

No I didn't. You're literally telling me that I said the opposite of what I actually said.