The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Lagswitching is not a permanent bannable offense?

Are you guys actually serious? So hacking Prestige or whatever is a permanent ban. Thats acceptable because those ppl get cosmetics or whatever for free. But Lagswitching which affects the game experience for all players is a temporary bannable offense? Temporary?

Tell me the difference between a Lagswitch and a speedhack, wallhack, aimbot or whatever please.

Comments

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

You can't prove someone is lag switching, you can't just start banning people for having bad internet.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

Sometimes you don't need to use a 3rd party program to lagswitch, and thus it's harder to prove that it's intentional. But realistically, it looks like the devs just don't take it seriously even though it makes the game completely unfun.

And idk.. it makes no sense that 'hacking' a prestige or legacy is that big of a deal. It has little impact on the game. You can't even lose money from that since people don't pay for them to begin with.

• WienerSchnitzel_OA_
    WienerSchnitzel_OA_ Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2018

So if ppl get temp banned for lagswitching, devs caught them and got proof of it Right? otherwise they wouldn't ban this Player. So if they got proof and caught this Player why temp ban him?? it's definately cheating

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    edited September 2018

@WienerSchnitzel_OA_ said:
    Are you guys actually serious? So hacking Prestige or whatever is a permanent ban. Thats acceptable because those ppl get cosmetics or whatever for free. But Lagswitching which affects the game experience for all players is a temporary bannable offense? Temporary?

Tell me the difference between a Lagswitch and a speedhack, wallhack, aimbot or whatever please.

You will get a temporary bann first and then after repeating offenses a perma bann most likely

• Seanzu

So if ppl get temp banned for lagswitching, devs caught them and got proof of it Right? otherwise they wouldn't ban this Player. So if they got proof and caught this Player why temp ban him?? it's definately cheating

I'm sure @not_Queen will confirm, ( they didn't say on the stream) but a couple of temp bans after the 1 week temp ban will probably result in a perm ban

• Master

@SenzuDuck said:

I'm sure @not_Queen will confirm, ( they didn't say on the stream) but a couple of temp bans after the 1 week temp ban will probably result in a perm ban

You can be sure of that

• Someissues
    Someissues Member Posts: 1,604
    edited September 2018

@not_Queen said:
    @SenzuDuck Yes that's true.
    In addition to it, most lagswitches are taken down by EAC.
    Large number of lagswitch reports on a player's account will lead to Temporary ban escalation.

Good to hear, sharing internet in a household is a big problem, if my sister ended up uploading something or downloading movies, it will no doubt affect players ping in game

if only we had dedicated server

• Seanzu

@not_Queen said:
    Large number of lagswitch reports on a player's account will lead to Temporary ban escalation.

Sorry for summoning you, but also, thank you answering the question.

All Hail The Soon™.

• Master

@Someissues said:

@not_Queen said:

Good to hear, sharing internet in a household is a big problem, if my sister ended up uploading something or downloading movies, it will no doubt affect players ping in game

This would cause a laggspike, but a laggswitch is something different.
    When a killer laggswitches, you lose connection completely and when you regain you are downed or at hook already even though you were full life before

• Usui
    Usui Member Posts: 531

@SenzuDuck said:
    You can't prove someone is lag switching, you can't just start banning people for having bad internet.

I can't stand obvious lag switchers either, but this is correct. Devs probably don't want to deal with figuring out if its bad internet or legit lag switching.

• Seanzu

@Vietfox said:
    @not_Queen said:

U known... Dedicated servers would counter lagswitchers pretty well
     Pls dont ban me.

They're also very expensive and hard to implement on a game that already relies on P2P.
    They said a while ago they're looking into it - I'd imagine if they were to do it, it will take them a while to implement.

• Master

@Usui said:

@SenzuDuck said:

I can't stand obvious lag switchers either, but this is correct. Devs probably don't want to deal with figuring out if its bad internet or legit lag switching.

A laggswitch is always obvious. Otherwise its a laggspike and that can always happen in private households

• WienerSchnitzel_OA_
    WienerSchnitzel_OA_ Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2018

@not_Queen said:

@not_Queen thanks for making that clear. I watched the Vod of the stream today and there was shown that Lagswitching will lead to a Temporary ban. This was very confusing as it's the same as if someone would speedhack or wallhack.

But shouldn't a large number of lagswitch Reports justify a Closer look to this Player? I mean if 20 guys report the same within let's say 10 days. Isn't it worth it to take a look?

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

@Visionmaker said:

@Someissues said:

@not_Queen said:

F13 gets dedicated servers... while DBD invests resources into a totally separate flop of a game.

Good thinking, upper management!

Funny you should mention F13 and Flop in the same line....

• not_Queen
    not_Queen Member Posts: 1,114

@WienerSchnitzel_OA_ The rules will be out today or tomorrow. You'll see there is a clause about temporary ban escalation covering this.! :)

• Visionmaker

@Visionmaker said:

@Someissues said:

@not_Queen said:

F13 gets dedicated servers... while DBD invests resources into a totally separate flop of a game.

Funny you should mention F13 and Flop in the same line....

TBF F13 was popular for a while.
  • redsopine1
    redsopine1 Member Posts: 1,437
    @not_Queen sorry to bother you is there a way to check ping during a game because somone in ps4 accused me of a lag switch (despite me broadcasting and showing all people moving) if its possible can I please know so I can check it when I play killer I dont want to unfairly play against others if I can avoid it
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Visionmaker said:

@Someissues said:

@not_Queen said:

You do realize that DB and Death Garden were 2 completely separate divisions of Behavior right? The DBD group works separately from the other groups just the same as Blizzard has an Ow division and WOW and D3 division etc.

https://www.bhvr.com/

• powerbats

@SenzuDuck said:

@not_Queen said:

Sorry for summoning you, but also, thank you answering the question.

All Hail The Soon™.

I support this message !!!! 👍👍

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742

@SenzuDuck said:

This.
    And also consider all the salty players who false report killers for just being mad about losing.

• powerbats

@megdonalds said:

@SenzuDuck said:

This.
    And also consider all the salty players who false report killers for just being mad about losing.

To an extent proving it is hard but when you're constantly rubber banding around only during a chase/vault/window until they hit you. It's pretty obvious since the moment they down you it magically disappears.

• Visionmaker
    powerbats said:

@Visionmaker said:

@Someissues said:

@not_Queen said:

You do realize that DB and Death Garden were 2 completely separate divisions of Behavior right? The DBD group works separately from the other groups just the same as Blizzard has an Ow division and WOW and D3 division etc.

https://www.bhvr.com/

And? Instead of doubling down and investing resources into DBD, BHVR made the choice to invest into another game.

Money went into Death Garden. I guarantee you team members were also shifted onto DG. They made a gamble and it's my earnest opinion that the resources would've been better spent on improving and reinforcing DBD.
  • powerbats

@Visionmaker said:

And? Instead of doubling down and investing resources into DBD, BHVR made the choice to invest into another game.

Money went into Death Garden. I guarantee you team members were also shifted onto DG. They made a gamble and it's my earnest opinion that the resources would've been better spent on improving and reinforcing DBD.

Did you even look at the other divisions they have? While people may have moved over may'be they wanted to, they've also gone on a hiring spree so perhaps those people got replaced.

If someone wanted a new opportunity and decided to move over and you said sorry you've got to stay here. Well guess what they go to work for someone else that's willing to give them a new opportunity.

• Visionmaker
    powerbats said:

@Visionmaker said:

Did you even look at the other divisions they have? While people may have moved over may'be they wanted to, they've also gone on a hiring spree so perhaps those people got replaced.

If someone wanted a new opportunity and decided to move over and you said sorry you've got to stay here. Well guess what they go to work for someone else that's willing to give them a new opportunity.

? Why does that matter? Good for the employees if they make their own decisions in an organization... But this has less to do with individual employees than the executives that are actually making significant decisions.. Such as not pushing for dedicated servers.
  • pauloandrade22
    pauloandrade22 Member Posts: 697

@not_Queen said:

@not_Queen i have like 13 fps and not very good internet and that makes so that everyone lags no matter what.

Would i get banned for that? Because im afraid of being banned due to "lagswitch" reports accumulating like crasy now.

• Visionmaker

@not_Queen said:

@not_Queen i have like 13 fps and not very good internet and that makes so that everyone lags no matter what.

Would i get banned for that? Because im afraid of being banned due to "lagswitch" reports accumulating like crasy now.

I don't think people will report you for general lag. It's obvious at the beginning of the game after the loading period if the game will be laggy. You will experience stutters from the start. The lobby ping will wildly fluctuate.

But if you're only "lagging" during chases or when someone is about to hook save after a perfect lobby and start up, then maybe you should be more careful with your "lagging"...
  • FrenziedRoach

@Visionmaker said:
    powerbats said:

@Visionmaker said:

? Why does that matter? Good for the employees if they make their own decisions in an organization... But this has less to do with individual employees than the executives that are actually making significant decisions.. Such as not pushing for dedicated servers.

Dedicated servers are not a sound investment when each game session only holds 5 players. If we're talking about game sessions that hold 8 or more players, then yes it's worth the cost.

• pauloandrade22

@Visionmaker said:
    pauloandrade22 said:

@not_Queen said:

I don't think people will report you for general lag. It's obvious at the beginning of the game after the loading period if the game will be laggy. You will experience stutters from the start. The lobby ping will wildly fluctuate.

But if you're only "lagging" during chases or when someone is about to hook save after a perfect lobby and start up, then maybe you should be more careful with your "lagging"...

Well unfortunally my survivors would disagree with you. often they go "LAGSWITHER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" especially after the 10 fps killer 4 maned their asses.

I asked to see if they would detect if it is just bad internet( or bad fps in my case) and be like "Ah this guy/gal is legit", or not.

• pauloandrade22

@Visionmaker said:
    pauloandrade22 said:

@not_Queen said:

Not to mention that sometimes im fine but for them its like im lagging but im not (like them standing still and the like)

• powerbats

@FrenziedRoach said:

Dedicated servers are not a sound investment when each game session only holds 5 players. If we're talking about game sessions that hold 8 or more players, then yes it's worth the cost.

You actually bring up a valid point there since the resources for a 5 player versus 10 player match aren't insignificant.

• BoxingRouge
    BoxingRouge Member Posts: 606
    I don’t know what’s holding them back from Dedicated Servers... F13 just released Dedicated Servers on Consoles and barely anyone is playing the game anymore.
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    powerbats said:

@megdonalds said:

@SenzuDuck said:

This.

To an extent proving it is hard but when you're constantly rubber banding around only during a chase/vault/window until they hit you. It's pretty obvious since the moment they down you it magically disappears.

That's not lag switching. 
    Lag switching: you start to perform a action like repairing or unhooking and you get no progress at all. You hold the button for 30 seconds and suddenly you encounter yourself on the shoulder of the killer. 
  • Seanzu

@Hellbilly said:

@not_Queen said:

Define "large number." Like 12 reports, 20 reports, 50 reports, give me an estimate.

They definitely will not give numbers on this.

• powerbats

@Tsulan said:

That's not lag switching. 
    Lag switching: you start to perform a action like repairing or unhooking and you get no progress at all. You hold the button for 30 seconds and suddenly you encounter yourself on the shoulder of the killer. 

Actually those are both instances of lag switching, one is done for much longer while the other one is toggled. Apparently they ven sell the darn switches for those that're too lazy to do it via computer. There's supposed to be something similar switch wise for consoles.

But I've encountered both in 1 match before and even have it recorded on a few vids i think.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    To the OP, you need to remember that temporary bans can become permanent bans, it just takes time. The temporary bans for lagswitchers is to avoid perma banning someone with bad internet.
  • Master

@Visionmaker said:
    pauloandrade22 said:

@not_Queen said:

I have been reported so many times for "laggswitchign" that its not even funny anymore and this while I am the only one using the connection that has stable 20 ms ping.
    These kiddos nowadays believe that if their sister opens a netflix stream, its me laggswitching or when their wifi in an appartment complex is screwed, then its the killers fault too.

I am very curious how this is gonna end

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@FrenziedRoach said:

@Visionmaker said:
    powerbats said:

@Visionmaker said:

But why? I mean It is not a sarcastic joke, I genuinely want to know why it is not a good investment if each game session only holds 5 players.

Lets say that I have created a game and my lobbies hold 15 people. However, only 500 people play it.

Lets say that you have created another game and your lobbies hold 5 people. 50000 people play your game. And your game has problems like lagswitching, killers hitting survivors when they shouldn't according to the survivors' view etc.

Why should first one get dedicated servers while the other one doesn't?

• Master

@Delfador said:

@FrenziedRoach said:

@Visionmaker said:
    powerbats said:

@Visionmaker said:

But why? I mean It is not a sarcastic joke, I genuinely want to know why it is not a good investment if each game session only holds 5 players.

Lets say that I have created a game and my lobbies hold 15 people. However, only 500 people play it.

Lets say that you have created another game and your lobbies hold 5 people. 50000 people play your game. And your game has problems like lagswitching, killers hitting survivors when they shouldn't according to the survivors' view etc.

Because the first one was coded with dedicated servers in mind and the second one has evovled into spaghetti code with the netcode designed for peer to peer. The running costs of dedicated servers are laughable, but recoding the spaghetti code, this is the real problem in DBD why we cant get dedicated servers.

And this wont change as long as they focus on new DLCs every 3 months

• SoulKey
    SoulKey Member Posts: 338

@pauloandrade22 said:

@not_Queen said:

I wouldn't assume you are intentionally doing it, like you said you could just be having a bad pc or internet. Either way, you should fix your problem or just play survivor...it's not other's people fault to teleport all over the map just so you can play killer.

• Master

@SoulKey said:

@pauloandrade22 said:

@not_Queen said:

I wouldn't assume you are intentionally doing it, like you said you could just be having a bad pc or internet. Either way, you should fix your problem or just play survivor...it's not other's people fault to teleport all over the map just so you can play killer.

Its not his fault that there is a ranked mode only :wink:

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

@Someissues said:

And how would a dedicated server help when your sister is bogging down your connection?..... You bog down your connection... Doesn't mean the other 4 players in the match are running around without any lag in the match... You've bogged yours down...so how would that not make a laggy game? You'd be stuttering all over the place until your connection was dropped.

You know that dedicated servers aren't a magic wand that removes laggy matches right? If anything it would just be more noticeable WHO is laggy in the match. You wouldn't just be blaming the host but the individual player.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

So I believe I have witnessed Lagswitching in the following video and I believe that it would serve as a fine example of lag switching for those unaware. The only problem is that I'm unaware if I actually saw lag switching so if someone could confirm this for me I'd appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHzAvpy0S4
    The clip with the lag switch starts at 0:39

• FrenziedRoach

@Delfador said:

Think about it logically, what takes more resources, the same map loaded 6 times or the same map loaded 3 times?

Don't think that's a thing? Take 30 players, divide them by 5 players each. Take the same 30 players, divide them by 10 each.

Of course there's a point where the network traffic will have an inverse effect on the CPU time on the server, you see this with larger games like Rust and ARK.

You also have to stop and consider the investment itself. It's cheaper to find enough servers to service 500 players than it is to have enough for as much as 40k players (this game does cap out at 40k when new)

And finally, do you really want the people who still have issues with people's saves getting lost to be in charge of our game servers? No thanks! I'll take my chances with the occasional laggy killer rather than not being able to play at all because some 3rd rate server admin forgot to feed the hamsters powering their servers.

• Someissues
    Someissues Member Posts: 1,604
    edited September 2018

@TheBean said:

And how would a dedicated server help when your sister is bogging down your connection?..... You bog down your connection... Doesn't mean the other 4 players in the match are running around without any lag in the match... You've bogged yours down...so how would that not make a laggy game? You'd be stuttering all over the place until your connection was dropped.
    You know that dedicated servers aren't a magic wand that removes laggy matches right? If anything it would just be more noticeable WHO is laggy in the match. You wouldn't just be blaming the host but the individual player.

Identity V has a dedicated server and when my sister upload stuff the game becomes unresponsive and my actions have a1-2 second delay before I can attack/ jump through, meaning the survivors are not at a disadvantage but I am. So they won't report me since fighting against a laggy killer means they have more chances to win

• BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

My internet is not the greatest and have been accused of lag switching more times than there are Need for Speed movies. It wouldn't be fair for someone to be banned because they have bad internet.

• HookedonDemand
    HookedonDemand Member Posts: 181

My takeaway from this thread is that sisters are bad for gaming. Plz nerf ! :p