A Gen speed question... kinda

Options
RayrafLPP
RayrafLPP Member Posts: 621

So I just have one question.

Why is solo genning encouraged?

I dont understand it.

You get points for coop actions at a gen.

You SHOULD be rewarded to do a gen as a team.

But the current system encourages people to solo on a gen and I have to ask why.

As a killer if you have 4 people on different gens at the start of the game is horrible.

with a bit of bad luck (when the survivor is halfway decent) you have 3 gens done after your first chase.

Shouldnt gen speed be the other way arround?

like 1 person on a gen gets a penalty and the more people are on gens the easier does it get?

I just dont get the logic behind the system, pls explain to me^^

Comments

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,101
    Options

Because 3 survivors working on separate generators means that 3 gens are finished in 80 seconds.

2 survivors working on 1 generator and 1 survivor working on a different generator means you have about 2.5 gens finished in 80 seconds

3 survivors working the same generator means you have about 2 gens finished in 80 seconds.

It's just less efficient.

• AsePlayer
    AsePlayer Member Posts: 1,829
    Options

Good question actually

• Stitch7833
    Stitch7833 Member Posts: 632
    Options

Balance, it has always slowed the more people on it, if there was 0 negative with 1person on a gen its 80seconds, 2=40, 3=20, 4=10. now imagine if you added a buff to them speeds because of co-op actions running around as a group doing gens in a few seconds, thats why its that way

• Real_Cheesus
    Real_Cheesus Member Posts: 20
    Options

The OP is asking WHY the system is this way. Like why the devs made the system so that solo gens are encouraged. They said that it's optimal for survs to be on solo gens, so they know what the system is, they're asking why it's that way.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

It's realistic that multiple people would be less efficient sharing the same task, especially one as complicated and time consuming as fixing a generator. Plus, the bonus points need to be balanced out by bonus risk.

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928
    Options

I'm guessing it's this way because it would be harder to power the exit gates in a scenario in which there are only three or two gens left and only two or three survivors left, considering the fact that gen slowdown perks like pop or thana exist.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,413
    Options

There is an inefficiency to working on a generator with other survivors. For each additional survivor on the generator, you repair 15% slower. That means if you have four survivors on one generator, everyone's working 45% slower than before. You could get a gen done together in ~36 seconds, or you could get four done in 80 seconds.

The simple version is:

• If you're looking to maximize your efficiency and do gens as fast as possible, you'd do them separately.
    • If you're looking to maximize points, do them together.

There's also other benefits to each (e.g. getting the gen done ASAP so they killer can't kick it with PGTW), but that's totally subjective and up to you to decide.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited May 2020
    Options

It's not exactly encouraged, there's a tradeoff: points vs efficiency.

Also, you don't count that the speed at which a generator is repaired affects the ability of the killer to disrupt progress on it, and that's the main strenght of coop repairs. Good survivors know that repairing a certain key generator faster (for example, the gen at the center of Azarov's Resting Place) is better than repairing two, less important ones .