Rank 12-20 killers do you want a "pity kill," or no against red rank teams

Options
johnmwarner
johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

I play solo, all morning my teams were all rank 1-5 and the killers were 12-16 I felt so bad. It was clear from the start in most games they were outmatched so at the end I was running to a hook and letting them hit me or even hook me. A couple took it, a few carried me to hatch, what do any low rank killers think? Would you rather I just leave or do you appreciate a few points in games like this.

In endgame chat I always try to be positive and say GG sorry matchmaking screwed you.

Comments

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694
    edited May 2020
    Options

Not low rank but I can remember my time down there. If you did that I would bring you to hatch/exit but I would appreciate the thought and I wouldn't have any bad feelings, it would help remind me that people are here to have fun which can be hard if your consistently getting paired with high ranks.

• Krilkal
    Krilkal Member Posts: 68
    Options

Who wants a pity kill? I I want to earn my kills, as I want to earn my escapes. Pity hatch is on the same level imo.

If the killer is clearly outmatched and the game is over, leave. Dont wait until the last second to get out. It just wastes time for all of us.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

Well I convinced my team to give a plague a 4k last week because she got destroyed. We all stood around her as we died to EGC.

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987
    Options

I am rank 1 and gave a Ghostface who ended up being a green rank a kill during EGC after everyone left. I ran to the basement and asked him to hook me, he didn’t wanna but did because the timer was gonna kill me. He even apologized after :( He was nice to me that match and I felt bad he didn’t get a kill

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,653
    Options

If I had a fun game and/or don't want to 2x pip in a sweaty game, I'll give hatch or throw myself at the killer.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,288
    Options

It's like giving tips (or even asking if someone wants tips) really, no matter how nicely you go about it you can get responses ranging from genuine interest in any tips they might get to them viewing it as an insult. So a lot of the time it's better to just not do it if you don't want to annoy people that might view it differently to you. I love getting tips, but I learned not everyone does so I stopped unless people specifically ask for feedback/tips on a build they're trying out or something.

I'm not in that rank range and I wouldn't view it as an insult, but personally I'd rather earn my kill or escape. I've convinced people that offer themselves up for hooking to leave, and I've also turned down the hatch when a killer offers it to me as well. But at the same time I guess sometimes that might also be viewed as an insult of sorts...

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

I'd prefer they just leave, when im getting stomped like that I open the gate for them and then they just mess around. I'd rather they just GTFO so I can move on to the next match

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522
    Options

Hell no.

I've dragged downed survivors to the exit gate when I've felt like they were ######### around too much. (Which, honestly, is most high ranked SWF groups....)

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Im not there anymore but i wouldnt want that no matter what rank i am. A little common courtesy would be nice though. Like not clicking your flashlight 50 times in my ear when I dont want to chase you, or if you just finished stomping me, just go. And if your gonna wait, maybe not try and flashlight me again.

• johnmwarner
    Options

Seriously, it always makes me think of the old sport saying “act like you’ve been there before.”

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

Well thats the problem, a good chunk of them havent. They talk trash until you get them to admit they dont play killer cause its too hard

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583
    Options

You also have to realize we're not a hive mind. Just because dingus dip* Donovan over there decided to teabag you with a flashlight macro that gives deaf people a migraine, does not mean Stacy twelve lobbies over, who has only ever tried her best, is responsible or accountable for his actions.

Pull yourself out of the equation, it is not an us vs them war, it is a person to person, case by case basis. Sorry the last ninety-nine out of a hundred matches you played had at least one survivor being a complete ass to you, but that doesn't mean the other three survivors were rude, and it doesn't mean the next hundred matches will be the same.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826
    edited May 2020
    Options

None of it was about bad manners or rudeness at all. In my experience most last survivors try to encourage you to give hatch. Mostly following various streamers rules for giving hatch or obedience to any commands given anything that could be interpreted as a command. All because there is a mercy culture among killers to spare the last under whatever arcane conditions may suit the particular killers peculiar fancy. The exact conditions to earn it change from killer to killer but it's far from an uncommon thing or survivor wouldn't try so often.

I've never experienced anything similar from survivors. It's either they just do the gens and leave, do the gens on farm off you if they are confident enough, or just bm you to varying degrees. There's not really any equivalency I've seen as of yet. The closest thing being playing dodge the hatchet at the exit. What this has to do with anything you went on about I have no idea.

• Terra92
    Options

Well now you're just expecting players to behave like other players based on various circumstances.

Killers can give hatch to Survivors because they have power. Survivors have to hide from the Killer in order to survive(wow who'd have thought?). When they're found out, there's almost no point in running anymore. A survivor might just want some more chase points before the end of the game, but many times it's in a really inconvenient spot, like right in front of the gates or in a corner of the map, where there are no pallets, no windows to vault, nothing. So some Survivors resort to either giving up, making a funny thing out of it, or seeing if the Killer might give them hatch.

This reminds me of back during Gears of War 2. Fox could back me up, he's been there before. There was something called a Gnasher(shotgun) Duel, or something to that regard. And people posted videos about them. Players would stand down a hallway, they would fire their shotguns to signify the request/start of the fight, reload, and start wallbouncing all over the place, firing their gnasher shotguns until one or both of them was dead.

Except very few people actually did it. Definitely not the majority. And at the end of a match you would hear in voice chat or on the forums, people complaining that no one respects the etiquette, the spirit of the rules they made, when someone would fire off their shotgun down a hallway to signify a duel request. Like it became something that players were starting to expect out of everyone else. Why? Well it was a cool thing to watch when you're just a kid playing a dumb game.

In the same essence, there's no rules or expectation of Survivors to give up their escape just so a Killer can have a kill or two. I've given it to them once or twice because I felt bad, but it was never like this "Wow the Killer is such a good player, I'm going to reward him for his great game. Great game there buddy, here take my life, throw me on the hook, I was final hook anyways so it's no biggie." And there should be no expectation from a Killer to give the last Survivor the hatch. It sucks when you're five feet away from it and you go down, but sometimes thems the breaks, and Survivors who complain about it have nothing better to do. They're just venting. They didn't earn the escape and the Killer shouldn't give it to them.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953
    Options

Just do gens and bones and then leave, I don't want pity kills. If I get outplayed, I get outplayed. Simple as that.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826
    edited May 2020
    Options

You seem oddly obsessed with this "everyone" thing and trying to "win" this like its an argument or something. I have no idea where this is coming from. And of course not, I have no expectation for pity kills, it's why I don't give pity survives either. Unless they in particular serve me for a tome or something then I'll let them go as an exchange for their obedience and help. That's more payment for services rendered though. They get 5k bp for getting me 30k.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953
    edited May 2020
    Options

I don't want pity kills. If I get outplayed, I get outplayed. Simple as that. Just do bones and gens and leave.

Edit: had bones written twice.

Post edited by hahadrillgobrrr on
  • MysticMusician
    MysticMusician Member Posts: 149
    Options

What I really want is for the game just not to match me against red and purple ranks when I am a rank 16-20 killer :(

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,756
    Options

I don't need a pity kill. I appreciate the sentiment, though, I'm not like insulted by it. But I don't need it. Sometimes I feel a little bad because I was just having a day and it wasn't the fault of those survivors, and I worry they felt they did something wrong when they didn't. If they're not bullying but just better players, that's matchmaking screwing all of us over; that's not on them that's on the game, and they don't owe me anything.

What I would like is for survivors to not be dicks at the end of a match. If I don't come over to the door, leave. If I do come over to the door, don't [BAD WORD]ing flashlight me. In a game the other day, I was still near the door after opening it, all four survivors still alive. Two started running around in front of me while a David started trying to flashlight blind me. So, I walked away. They followed. The two continued to run in circles, so I watched them (yay, chase points) but then the David immediately started trying to flashlight blind me, again. Seriously? So, I faced a wall looking up. Fine, now you guys at best get some piddly Boldness points for running within a few meters of me. Good going.

If a friendly killer stares at you when you have a flashlight, fine, they're letting you blind them. If they look away, then stop doing it, they're not in the mood.

What I really get annoyed by is survivors who all wait until the last second to leave. I obviously wasn't going over to the exit, so at that point they're just being dicks, and I don't even get to grab a few points for closing the hatch if I found it. That's really unnecessary when you've already trounced the killer.

If the killer has a bad match and I'm not trying to complete some sort of challenge, I'll often stay behind and let myself die. I don't care about the points and I like the EGC death animation. I'll find a nice spot and watch the ground burn.

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545
    Options

I'd prefer not, as I much would rather earn my kill, although if a survivor chose to sacrifice themselves I would oblige them for their nice gesture.

Recently, I faced a Ghostface which struggled horrendously. The gens whipped by, and he was having a real time of it even getting a hit. The gens hit 5, and I got to open the door. Then I decided to try to find him to sacrifice myself. Couldn't even find him! I thought he gave up. So, I went up on one of the hills on the map and just stayed there until the EGC ran out. At the end, he was rank 20, and I was the lowest ranked survivor at 11, with 2 purples and a red there.

• Sylorknag
    Sylorknag Member Posts: 760
    Options

That has been my philosophy. I'll give hatch for every time a survivor gives me a kill.

I'm yet to give any hatches.

• johnmwarner
    Options

What if someone else is waiting for the same, as soon as you give hatch they’ll pay it forward to the next outmatched killer?

Not saying you have to give anyone hatch or free hooks/kills but for me it comes to weighing the results. If I give someone hatch or let the killer hook me I lose 5k points, maybe I Black pip instead of pipping up.

But for that poor rank 19 killer/survivor this may be what turns a horrible tanking session into a bearable one and make them wanna give it one more day to get better. I prefer to try to grow the community because for all of its faults DBD has great potential and had given me lots of entertainment

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,491
    Options

I sometimes try to give a kill (only rare occasions where 4 would escape and the killer was really low ranked) -mostly the killers will decline though and bring me to a gate/the hatch. Which is pretty much the only way I get to see a killer giving the hatch to the last survivor other than myself as killer since EGC was introduced!

Once I gave a clown a kill - I was already at the gate at the edge to get out but got back in to the clown. He downed me and killed me. And then called me a #########. Since then I didn’t have the opportunity but I will think twice if the killer „earned“ it.

• Terra92
    Options

I used "everyone" specifically once in that text, and it wasn't meant literally. I'm not trying to win an argument, the way that text comes across the screen is very inorganic compared to an actual conversation, so I tend to get everything I'm thinking of on the page, because for all I know I won't ever get a response, so there's no dialogue, no conversation to be had. It's just me reading what you wrote and then you reading what I wrote.

But the truth is that we're all making up random rules to satisfy our ethical standards of playing a video game. Most of these ideas are nice and across the board, at least for most people. Stuff like "don't be a jerk to others," and other standard normal behaviors for everyday life. Common decency. Then there are the nitpicky things, like "give last Survivor hatch," "using flashlights is toxic," and a list of other things I won't get into because the specifics don't matter.

The point is that these rules we make are arbitrary and not everyone is going to believe the same thing. If you wanna give someone the hatch, you are more than free to do so. I do it most of the time unless I have some archive or daily I have to do. But that's me, I don't expect the next Killer to do the same, and I don't expect Survivors to give me free kills. None have ever been given to me so far, why should I expect Survivors to show pity on me? It doesn't make sense.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

I see killers give hatches all the time. I've yet to see survivors (other than myself) give kills with my own eyes (just claims of such and one screenshot).

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581
    Options

I don't know. I was on the other end of that for awhile,getting super frustrated. It might help some new players to not get so frustrated,at least if you don't make it too obvious. Can't really speak for everyone. I'm pretty sure a few people did it for me.

• johnmwarner
    Options

Fair enough, I can only go by gut feel I guess for whether to do it or not.

Sooo sooo right, both sides have their unwritten rules they think the game should have or that other side should follow. Never tunnel, never slug with 5 gens left, give last survivor the hatch, don’t abuse a strong building loop more than once per game, locker DS is unfair, etc etc

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

I only take kills I deserve. Not a rank 12-20 killer, but I carry those survivors back on over to the hatch or gates where they belong. Maybe with the extra bloodpoints they receive they can go buy a bps and brighten up some other player's day.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,098
    Options

Well I for my part (killer only player, rank somewhere in the yellows because I don't play this game consequently and should be probably way higher by the pip rate) am just a friendly bp farmer with bbq. I have no real idea what it's like to play survivor so this is all to be taken with a bit of bias.

I give he last survivor hatch if I destroyed them because I probably already max my points and don't need the last kill. They know I could've had a 4k.

When survivor wait at the exit for last hits it feels mostly not like mercy points but pity. I think the survivors that destroyed a killer should just leave because it will probably never feel good to get pitied.

Also this feeling is caused by the one against many mentality of the game. When the killer already killed 3 people and let's the last go it feels like a win for him and atleast 1 of the other 4 gets to be a bit happier with a full escape. When it is the other way around it will never feel fulfilling at all.

• Snowstruck
    Snowstruck Member Posts: 564
    Options

YES! Baby killers deserve love like this more.

It's the same thing as killer giving survivors hatch.

I can spare my bps for someone who got absolutely obliterated by MM, they deserve it for all the painful matches they probably experience.

• johnmwarner
    Options

It’s called sportsmanship Waffle... it’s like a baseball player who prances around after hitting a home run, then wonders why he gets hit by a fastball the next time he’s at bat. Or a player in almost any sport who does a Clearly choreographed celebratory dance after scoring, then wonders why he gets hit extra hard for the rest of the game.

Act like you’ve been there before, to the people who say “ez game git gud,” in post game chat I laugh. You see the best players don’t say that, these morons are proving that they win so little they have to really run it in when they do.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

Thats the reason i almost always send ggwp to the killer, and if its a low rank person i let them know bhvr is working to fix match making. We need more killers and being dicks to them isnt helping