I just got back into DBD

Smoker101
Smoker101 Member Posts: 52
edited June 2020 in General Discussions

So i took a really long break from Dbd for about 10 months, and my question is what is different and what has stayed the same?

Comments

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2020

Depends on when you left for one

"really long [time]" is such a subjective adjective to use

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

How long were you gone?

• LALYTHIA

Well, most recently most legacy maps had all of their infinite loops "balanced" meaning there are now doors next to strong windows, less 'safe' palettes, less palette/window combos, etc.

They also introduced larger dead space areas (areas of debri but no windows/palettes) and made bigger maps slightly smaller

Gens got slowed slightly (although the difference is negligible)

Hex: Ruin got reworked - instead of requiring great skill checks it now regresses the gen exponentially when you pull off of it instead

Toolboxes got nerfed and now provide a quicker repair, but for a much smaller percentage of the gen

As a result, hook sabo was also changed...it now only takes 2-3 seconds to sabo a hook, but you cannot 99 a hook anymore and with the lower charges on toolboxes you wont be able to sabo many at optimal quickness

Deathslinger was introduced - ranged killer with an undodgeable quick scope. So that's fun. He's not very fast but he has a tiny terror radius so he can creep up on yo ass. His perks are meh.

New DLC is Silent Hill. Pyramid Head is gonna be a tunnel/camp master that can avoid DS and BT altogether. So excited for that [/sarcasm]

They smoothed out window vaulting, which is nice. And are working on hit priority issues currently (yay!)

Rank/match making is hella broken. They are also reworking that (also yay!)

• Smoker101

Im kind of glad they reworked insta-heals those were crazy. What did they change about nurse because I used to main her and I want to know if she is still viable or not.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Oh, and a bunch of maps got rebalanced. Lery's is totally remade, and Springwood has multiple different versions. There's a new Stranger Things map that is one of the new worst maps in the game (in my opinion).

Kindred got buffed into OP territory. Balanced Landing nerfed into fairly underwhelming territory (though it was necessary to stop several infinites). Pop Goes the Weasel is the new hotness when it comes to gen slowdown perks.

• Smoker101
  • Rydog

They removed or toned down a lot of the unreasonably safe loops. Gen speed got nerfed a little bit, but efficient survivors can still get things done quite quickly. I also took a six-month break, and anecdotally, the pace of the game has felt better to me since returning.

• Smoker101

Yea I heard matchmaking is broken and I just got back to rank 1 as survivor and im seeing a s* ton of awful survivors. Did the devs say anything about how they are going to fix the MM.

• Smoker101

Yea I definitely feel like some of the map changes helped with looping but I literally just played a game at rank 1 killer and those gens are still going by super fast, also has DS changed?

• Rydog

I don't know enough about Nurse to really comment authoritatively. They reworked her omegablink stuff, and added a charge counter/cooldown to her blinks, but they also kept fatigue so I dunno, it seems dumb. A lot of Nurse players don't like it, but I still see her near the top of every tier list, and I continue to encounter Nurse players (though not as many) who wreck shop in red ranks.

• Rydog
    edited June 2020

DS now activates when you get unhooked, and stays active for 60 seconds. Its design purpose is as an anti-tunneling perk, but a lot of people just run it with Unbreakable so that the killer has a no-win decision.

• Rydog
    edited June 2020

They just announced cross-platform play in their last livestream, which one assumes will help to address rank disparity in matchmaking. There's no telling how far off that is though, or how long it takes them to get it right. Matchmaking queues are the wild west currently.

• LALYTHIA

Its purpose is actually not an anti-tunneling perk, and people use it as it was intended to be used...but the functionality described is correct. 😂

• Smoker101
  • Rydog

I concede that I may be wrong because I'm only describing it off the top of my head, but did they not say that was the specific design intent, when they reworked it?

• Rydog

If not, Spirit is now universally considered the best killer in the game, with Nightmare, Nurse, and Hillbilly right behind her.

Oni, Huntress, Ghostface, Myers, Doctor, and Hag are variously considered to be competitive picks, depending on who you ask.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2020

Alright, well 8 months ago was October of 2019 so the last chapter you saw release was the Stranger Things Chapter? Since then 2 chapters have gone by (not counting chapter 16 which is about to be released) which have seen the introduction of The Oni and Deathslinger, both killers were well received all around from story and lore, to aesthetic / cosmetics, to power and overall viability. Yui and Zarina, their respective survivors, are ok, but nothing game changing really comes to mind immediately from those two.

The Oni is a disgraced Samurai from feudal Japan who killed his father and has some real rage in his bloodline, he's also related to the Spirit who is actually a descendant of The Oni. So that's a first for DBD where they're actually connecting characters with related history. Yui is a pretty cool (& tough) cookie who is a motorcyclist racer in a kind of gang so to speak, she had family issues so she found a new one basically in her gang and she became a kind of rouge-ish female icon.

The Deathslinger is a brilliant engineer who operated in western times during the American Frontier period, but because of his immigrant heritage he was trodden all over and taken advantage of in the land of opportunity and he eventually became violent. He designed "The Redeemer" himself and became head of the irish Hellshire Gang of outlaws. A large part of the inspiration for the lore of the chapter came from Stephen King's The Dark Tower, and gameplay inspiration was from a desire to incorporate FPS like mechanics into Dead By Daylight. Zarina is a lebanese-american documentarian who is supposed to symbolize the "Modern spirit of the old wild west" who is seen as an "uncompromising documentary filmmaker" bent on revealing the truth, demanding justice and the like.

The Map for this chapter was also notable, as "The Dead Dawg Saloon" is the first map to change the design for beyond the walls of the map, you can see canyons off in the distance, and it's also the first map that features the sun (dusk or dawn, one of the two). It also introduces a brand new game mechanic- Breakable walls, something the developers are testing out as a new mainstay feature of gameplay. They started with the Dead Dawg Saloon and when they get a better feel for how they want to work it they will slowly incorporate breakable walls into all of the older maps.

We also have the archives, I think that might have been released about the time you left about 8 months ago, it introduces a new way to tell the story of dead by daylight revealing lore entries about different characters and the world of DBD. It also comes with The Rift which is basically a battle pass, there's a free track and a premium track the latter of which costs 1000 auric cells (which you can earn all back if you complete the full rift) and includes a myriad of all kinds of premium and other cosmetics worth a lot of bang for your buck if you're willing to grind through the full 70 tiers. The stuff that shows up in the rift will not show up in the store for at least a couple of months maybe a year, since we still don't have the cosmetics from the original and first Tome I in the store yet.

We just had a stream for the fourth year anniversary and they announced a bunch of new information that I can't quite recall all at once. They're planning a full massive graphical update / overhaul, they announced a brand new mechanic for the start of the matches sort of like a "Beginning endgame collapse", the endgame collapse is meant to speed up the end so we can assume that the opposite is true for this mysterious new mechanic which is probably intended to Slow down the beginning.

As always matchmaking, and dedicated servers are constantly being worked on as usual.

I can't think of much else at the moment.

• Rydog

^^^ Oh yeah, I forgot all the Archives stuff. Yeah, the game now has a two-track season pass that was lifted from Fortnite, plus some in-game challenges that get you free BP. It is mostly pretty cool. Mostly.

• Rydog

Oh, and the Deathslinger is a worse Huntress.

• Rydog

To each their own!! Everyone is allowed to find something fun, even if it's not the best and most OP option. I've gone up against some good Deathslingers.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

Yeah, deathslinger is in a weird place, he can either be godly or utter trash depending on the users experience with shooters.

I personally find him really fun and tend to get better results with him than with huntress.

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961

Ruin got ruined, spirit got nerfed, Freddy got nerfed, tool boxes got nerfed, sabo got buffed, we got oni and deathslinger, maps got slightly smaller, infinites got nerfed, and vaults got ultra buffed. Matchmaking is totally screwed.

• Rydog

Freddy got... nerfed? Freddy, arguably the second-best killer in the game currently?

• Dwinchester

Yes, forever Freddy got nerfed, which would be nice to have in a ruinless world.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

And Nurse died 7 months ago, so you missed that too.

She's not longer the Rank 1 SWF Killer.

• LALYTHIA

The devs clarified that DS was not introduced specifically to be an "anti-tunnel perk" here in the forums a month or so ago.

• Rydog

Fair enough! And it definitely does have... other use cases lol

• Gomolazoli
    Gomolazoli Member Posts: 336

No instaheals, no Ruin, Nurse is nerfed to hell, Freddy is no longer an F tier killer but an ass destroyer. God windows are mostly fixed. PC community has improved a lil’ bit, toxic console peasants however not.

New maps since stranger things are more balanced in general and has next level ghrapics that every old map get upgraded to this year.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,743

Okay in case you wanted to read up on the matchmaking system they're going to introduce, here it is:

The expected arrival is later this month, confirmed in the anniversary stream.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

Excuse me whaaa-...?

If you're struggling without Ruin, you probably should not be at the rank you're currently at. If you have to resort to Forever Freddy, that's like saying you play with Iridescent Head and Infantry Belt every game and complaining how easy it is.

• Dwinchester

Actually I am supposed to be at the rank that I am, but the game decides that I should be playing against rank 1 survivors with 10 times my hours. When I play people my own rank, I do ok.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

DS is arguably the single strongest perk in the game, even when there is an obsession and no one is actually running it.

Survivors got some decent perks, killers mostly trash perks.

Number of players is up thanks to covid quarantines.

Graphic updates look awesome if they stay that way when we get them. I'm a console peasant.