Any tips to play spirit?

USELESS
USELESS Member Posts: 1,151

Spirit is one of the killers that I simply hate play as but I got a daily so yeh, need some help

Comments

• SpoopyGirl
    SpoopyGirl Member Posts: 23

Use headphones if you’re not already. Spirits main power are your ears lol. You can try using strider (Nurse teachable) to help with this. Get the first hit normally and then follow up with ur power. Strider will make them super easy to hear And track down. You can also do a very specific build meant for tracking. Run the iri add on Fathers glasses (allows blood trails to be visible) then also run bloodhound (wraith teachable) and/or sloppy butcher. This makes tracking with ur power EXTREMELY ez. But honestly just get a pair of headphones and just practice her base kit. You don’t wanna rely on add ons too much. She doesn’t need it to do decently. :)

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Ignore people that say to use headphones, stridor and blah blah blah. That only works if you have a good setup, including headphones and sound card, and precisely tuned audio settings. While sound is a strong weapon in spirits arsenal, and it is amplified by stridor, it is only reliable if you have a very good setup.

As a starter spirit, you can totally use stridor to help you out, but similarly to NOED it quickly begins to stunt your growth to the point of only being a mediocre killer if you rely on it too much. Footsteps are a more reliable way of tracking survivors by sound, but good survivors know this and can bamboozle you. The best tracking tool spirit has is grass, corn and bush movement, though it's clearly not applicable in many situations. You should also not use all of your power at once. It's better to do short bursts so as to not completely drain it and give decent survivors plenty of 110 killer chase time. And if a survivor jukes you, figure out how they did it because it's likely they will attempt it next time you chase them.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

lul just wear a headset and you'll 4k everyone lul

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

This is why I dont play spirit much. I dint have patience enough to sit and look for flippin blades of grass moving

• OhMyWords
    OhMyWords Member Posts: 230

Stridor is garbage because it can be misinformation. My advice is pick stridor, follow the sound until you touch someone.

What @Momentosis said is false.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

They removed collision, how do you know when youre touching someone

• SpoopyGirl
    SpoopyGirl Member Posts: 23

Id have to disagree. I use a very basic headset and It helps tremendously. Now that you point it out, though, I agree that it’s sometimes not as accurate as I’d like. However, it’s still an upgrade from no headset forsure. ^_^ Also, good point you made - similar to noed, you don’t wanna fall back on stridor. There’s def superior options to add to her.

• OhMyWords

If they removed collision then you can't touch someone. Still, dont pcik stridor.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833

samantathespirit on YT according to some people the best spirit main in the world made a video some months ago explaining the basics.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Dunno why you would advise not picking a perk that literally directly counters the one thing survivors have against her.

• MadLordJack

Perhaps I didn't clarify enough: I was talking about the whole appear-on-survivors-and-call-it-balanced trick that everyone complains about. A spirit with stridor and a very good setup can literally pinpoint you even while healthy, appear on you like an easier version of the nurse, rinse, and repeat. It's broken. Unfortunately, these "players" have given spirit a bad name and now half the community thinks that that is all it takes to play spirit. I'm not saying headphones don't help, they do, and I did mention sound being important, but to pull off the overpowered BS spirit build you need more than a good headset.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

I'd disagree about he headphones needing a strong setup.

I play on PS4 and use my TV (obviously) for all my sound. When I use headphones (cheap ones too) its like a world of difference.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

Directional Audio Headphones are a good starting point.

As far a gameplay goes, Spirit is all about deception. Sometimes while you’re in chase and spot another player or hear them on a gen, you can start your phase walk aiming at the player you’re chasing then once you start phasing immediately turn around and target the unsuspecting player. If they’re in your terror radius this can catch many players off guard.

Remember, Spirit’s husk will always face the direction you’re looking in BEFORE phase starts so use this to your advantage in chases or otherwise.

• JayDoesGames
    JayDoesGames Member Posts: 264

The biggest part of playing spirit is listening to sound cues. Crows, footsteps, breathing and obviously sounds of pain. You wanna land the first hit on her then use her phasing to track the survivor. I find running Corrupt, Pop Goes The Weasel, BBQ and Stridor to be a good build on her. Stridor makes survivor sounds louder so you can easily find someone.

Headphones help alot btw ;)

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    edited June 2020

Footsteps are more effective anyways, plus Stridor messes up your sound when you play other killers. Spirit doesn't need Stridor.

• Poweas

You can also use Windows Sonic for Headphones if your headset doesn't have built in surround sound, it worked wonders for my old one.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

As a lot of people have already talked about sound i'll share a few things that I do as a Spirit main.

When possible, especially when just catching up, phase behind cover. Can be as simple as when the survivor turns a corner with a wall, or when a rock come between you. If you just stand out in the open and begin phasing, that can give them a head start to trying to juke you. Phase out of view and they might still just be running, helping you in locating them.

When trying to fake phase, it's best to stand in an area that corners the survivor or will push them towards unsafe areas. This way if they do run you can either chase normally and they can't get to a pallet or window, or you can phase and hopefully catch them out in the open.

If you're in chase and you see a survivor hiding or hear a gen being worked on, it's almost always better to swap targets by phasing (again, don't make it obvious you're switching targets; hide before phasing or phase and just face the survivor you're chasing) Almost always free hits on survivors hiding nearby and good for getting grabs on gens. M&A is a big help in this, fantastic perk for her.

Also, I phase the second a game starts to an area I feel a survivor is at or till Whispers goes off. Fantastic for early pressure especially since survivors usually start near each other and you might be able to get at least two survivors injured quickly.

• myersismydaddy
    myersismydaddy Member Posts: 232

She is using 2k€ headphones. She can hear you standing still across half the map. Anyone could be a pro spirit with such an investment.

• Poweas

A survivor will always spawn to your right or left. If there is a wall on one of the said sides, go to the other. Guaranteed to catch survivors unless they hide, it's the best way to get a quick start.

• OhMyWords
    edited June 2020

Because that perk is unnecessary. Iron Will so what, i would instead take devour hope or something meta. Yes it does get very hard to track an invisible person when they have iron will, but it's not impossible. If you want to pick stridor just because someone might take iron will, i cant stop you.

Actually it

might be a good idea to take stridor now that collision is removed. Still, it's worse than a meta perk that would always be useful.

• MadLordJack

That "world of difference" is no stronger than on any other killer. What people mean when they talk about using headphones on spirit, as I have stated, is phasing in top of people and hitting them because you know exactly where they are because you can hear them, even while healthy, with stridor. And, as I stated, sound is important for spirit. But the morons that say to just slap on headphones and you win are exactly that: morons. You need everything under the sun for that to work, trust me, I have tried. Just like I try to verify every other broken thing in DbD. Base sounds + stridor + headphones isn't an instant win. It's actually a bit detrimental.

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411

Just put on Stridor (perk) all you need and easy 4k