Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Rank does matter, lets argue

Carlosylu
Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
edited June 2020 in General Discussions

Ok, I've seen a lot of people saying rank means nothing, but in my experience, yellow and grey ranks are usually noobs, not everyone, I get it some people de rank to troll or just cause they stopped playing for a whyle, but MOST of those rank colors are done for if they face me...

Now, green ranks are average, purple ranks are usually nice and good players who know what they're doing, and red ranks are usually people who think they are so experienced they are toxic or show off their skills to the other role.

Please notice I'M GENERALIZING based on experience and what MOSTLY happens, this is not a rule, there are exceptions, I'm a rank 1 killer who will never camp or tunnel but will obliterate a 4 men SWF, I'm also a rank 1 survivor who escapes 7/10 games (I like playing hero even when I shouldn't and that's why I don't escape more) and can loop the killer for 2+ gens regardless of rank but will never teabag you unless you teabagged me as GF.

Question: If you are one of the people who think "rank means nothing", ask yourself "have I ever complained about a 4 men RED RANKS SWF?", cause if you have, notice I just wrote "RED RANKS" inside of the question.

Comments

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I'd say rather that rank doesn't mean as much as it probably should. Every color is such a mixed bag it's honestly hard to say what you'll face.

• Carlosylu

The concept I have about "boosted player" is someone who asks someone else to help them rank up, is that what you mean?

• Carlosylu

I'd say, as in my original thread, it's a matter of color, not number per se, what do you think? I say this cause most players I face of a specific color act in a common way, meaning yellow and grey as noobs, green as average player, purple as non toxic good survivor or killer and red as toxic egomaniac killer or survivor, yes, all colors with their exceptions, not everyone acts the same, but most do.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Boosted players are just players that clearly not belong to the rank they currently are

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Yea that's probably the correct term. Basically someone who ranks up easy because they are playing with friends who help them. I use it more broadly to include players who are in high ranks because the game rewards them, even if they aren't playing great.

Basically players rank up when they aren't ready.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

It does. But what people usually mean by this is red ranked players can play like yellow. Because there is nothing that separates cream of the crop from the rest of the red ranks. Boosted survivors can get carried by their teammates while boosted killers can just tunnel all game or play legion to get to red ranks

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Ranks would matter more than they do if it weren't for the monthly resets. You could stop playing the game for a few months and be reset back to level 20. It's why you'll see level 17 killers with maxed out teachables.

So yeah ranks do matter, but they're not accurate.

• Zender
    Zender Member Posts: 178

@Carlosylu most rank 1 killers even the good ones lose 1 out of 5 games (lose defined by 3+ surv escaping). It's just game design and you run into 4 man swf that are just unstoppable ... having the optimal killer and a killer favored map can help this a bit.

Okay, now on to ranks. They are less a function of a color/number but rather it's how easy or difficult it is to progress through those ranks. As a rank 1 surv and killer myself I can say with certainty that getting my surv to rank 1 each reset is much less pressure and in general very easy.

That's asymmetrical games for you though, the killer can only come after one person at a time. As killer it's all on your performance ... hence that is why I, with few exceptions, don't see but much variety but the same 4-6 killers over and over at red ranks.

• Carlosylu

The problem is that people say this as a common thing, but it my experience it's quite the other way, I've faced more red ranks that know what they're doing than red ranks who play as yellow or grey (boosted survs). They do exist, but people saying rank doesn't matter cause of a few cases that play differently from what their rank should is just an exageration to find something to complain about.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I do this all the time. Not to derank. I just tend to take breaks from the game. I actually just came back from a long break. I was back to rank 20. It took me a couple of games to get back in the groove. But after that it was probably unfair for me to be there.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Rank matters, it's just that rank alone doesn't represent skill. When people say "rank doesn't matter", generally, what they mean is that it's not enough to ascertain if you're a skilled player or not.

• Carlosylu

Those stats are valid for me, as long as matchmaking doesn't put me against a lower rank... In which case it's a "they're loosing" situation no matter what most of the times.

• TheRoyalOwl
    TheRoyalOwl Member Posts: 749

I think the only ranks that rank doesn't matter in is red ranks, as there is a huge disparity in skill. In the lower ranks people are similarly skilled, even with people de-ranking.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

The fact that self heal is still common in red ranks is proof enough rank is nothing more than a color

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

Heres what happens when a 2 year veteran goes on break for afew months. This rank can hit 1 within a few days/ a week. I know my killer rank sure did, lol.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Almo said rank is fine and mmr isnt going to mean a thing ;)

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

With the current situation of lack of killers, survivor ranks mean very little imo. I'm already 4 ranks ahead as survivor with much less playtime than killer. I don't think I've yet to come across killer that has been better than green rank. And I am absolute potato on both sides and yet I rank up easily as survivor.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Which is precisely why I'm surprised that a new matchmaking system built around skill wasn't introduced years ago. There are so many false ranks out there that a makes this game incredibly imbalanced.

• Carlosylu

Ranks should be based on statistics, that's it, not on how much you play, but on how effective you are as survivor or killer

• Carlosylu

Didn't steam present stats about the community actually growing? Are they all playing survivor?

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

Theres plenty of noobie killers out there. I know cause i keep getting matched against them as an r1 survivor

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

When people say rank doesn't matter, what they really mean is rank doesn't mean as much as it should.

So rank does matter, people are just misusing the phrase from its actual meaning.

• Dead_by_Gadfly

Ive been keeping track of stastics over time and ive noticed that the higher tge rank the more likely they are to escape/get more blood points. Its still a small number right now but if that trend continues then rank absolutely means something.

• OldWiseOne
    OldWiseOne Member Posts: 159

Nope. im rank 1 and know every perk, tile, pallet spawns, then can easily find totems, run all loops, counter killers, hit great skillchecks 90% of the time, get flashlight,pallet and sabo saves without the need of meta perks. BUT i have seen rank 1/2`s that cant look behind them in a chase, have no idea how to loop, hide most of the game without doing anything and will last about 5 seconds in a chase... im sorry but rank doesnt mean anything but time played. a rank 4 player needs to pip 5 games within a month to go back to rank 5, the ruin change made gens so simple it takes no skill and the reset hardly moves you meaning as long as you play youll rank up.

• ayaya
    ayaya Member Posts: 163

From my own expecience it means more when it comes to survivors. When it comes to killers not so much. I've seen both godlike green rank killers and red rank scrubs

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Use of Self-Care does not correlate with a lower rate of escape. So the fact that a Survivor is using Self-Care does not indicate that they lack the ability to escape.

• Carlosylu
    edited June 2020

Correlation and causality are different concepts, the fact that there's high possitive correlation between Country Chocolate Production and Amount of Nobel Prices does not mean that if we produce more chocolate we'll get more Nobel Prices.

Correlation means that A happens at the same time as B, causality means that A causes B.

But yes, Self care does not imply being a noob, I have to say that I can now escape without perks, so, I can choose to use low use perks that actually help my team every now and then like Unbreakable (I use it 1/5 games) or Self Care/Inner Strenght (I use it 1/12 games but it has helped us when 3 of us were slugged and I was injured) without me needing DS or Borrowed Time

• Almo

Yes, I know all of this about correlation and causation, and you are right about it. But the statistics are indicative that at the very least, use of Self-Care by a red-rank player does not necessarily mean that the player in question is a bad player who does not deserve to be in red ranks, which was the original statement that I was interested in refuting. :)

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Correlation does not imply causation, but lack of correlation does imply lack of causation. I think that's what @Almo was going for.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

rank matters from ranks 20-10, but from 9-1 it doesn't matter at all.

• Cassandra_Alexandra
    Cassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 254

This is so true. That’s been my experience all along. My best matches are in purple. Once I hit red most of the matches are not fun and most tend to be so arrogant.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

You've clearly never played Killer before. Tunneling is never going to get you to red ranks. Hell, I doubt it could get you to purple ranks.

• Dead_by_Gadfly

Theres a noticable difference between a rank 1 survivor and a rank 4 survivor from the killers perspective. I can tell.

Yes, there are boosted players, just like there are players in green that belong in red, but typically you can see the difference

• BigTimeGamer
    edited June 2020

The issue is rank itself is not indicative of ability to escape, nor is the ability to escape indicative of rank.

The amount of red rank survivors who are realistically green rank players is staggering, with many opting to hide and self care wasting a large amount of time that could otherwise be spent doing gens/being chased.

I stand by my initial statement, players are more than just data and those that opt to run self care have different mentalities, playstyles etc that simple numbers cannot read.

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682

Ranks give the illusion of skill. Really this game's skill comes from map knowledge, situational awareness, prediction, etc... and PERKS These all come with repetitive gameplay, not so much pure mechanical skill.

Really this game should be ranking people on your player level - essentially a measure of how much time you've sunk into the game. A player with 5 hours in the game shouldn't ever be matched in a competitive game with someone who has 5000 hours.

• thottiepippen
    thottiepippen Member Posts: 98

As a survivor main (red / purp depending) that plays killer as well, I have found it really interesting how toxic red survivors can be.

If you don't play the turbo meta perk / sweaty / flashlight / sailor steve teabag builds, you are basically told to ######### in post chat. It's also hilarious how hard people flip out if you have a bad game. OMFGGGGGGG SO MANY BADS IN RED RANK GOD DAMN BHVR CLEAN THIS UP. I HATE YOU SO MUCH. Like bro, wow chill out.

• Carlosylu

@Almo Then yes, I agree, I have actually have found Self Care to be amazingly usefull, 1/100 times, but it was the perk that gave us the comeback after three slugs were done and 4th was injured. I don't run it though. BTW, when are you guys releasing new stats? I'm very intrigued to see what you've done so far.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Use of self-care has definitely gotten me killed far more than any other perk. And I don't run it.

Does anybody know the stats around team survival/escape in conjunction with self-care? Generally, it is a negative to the team and forces the team to carry you, but I wonder what the cost is. How many extra hooks happen? How many teammate deaths? How much longer do the gens take? Does anyone have access to these stats?

• Almo
    edited June 2020

See my post earlier in the thread. Rank does correlate with escape rate. Very well, I might add.

• Almo
    edited June 2020

I can't quote due to an error. So: MadLordJack asks: "Does anybody know the stats around team survival/escape in conjunction with self-care?"

That is the next question, and I don't actually have those stats. But I may go ask for them! It's possible that the Survivor running it escapes more often, but their team is less likely to. Given SC's popularity, I'd like to know this answer.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

People always like to downplay the meaning of ranks in games. It's the same in fighting games, where people will tell you that Master means nothing in SF5 and "everyone gets it" even though it's statistically like 0.0005% of all players.

Rank 1 isn't exactly eSports pro level or something, but you definitely have to show a reasonable level of consistency to get there. This idea that you just close your eyes and are rank 1 is absurd.

• BigTimeGamer
    edited June 2020

@Almo cant quoute for some reason:

"See my post earlier in the thread. Rank does correlate with escape rate. Very well, I might add."

This is assuming escape = skill level but we all know it doesnt, just as rank doesnt either. It is very common for people to do very little in term of gens/chase/saves yet still escape and pip due to being carried. This is even more prevalent and noticeable in Solo. Yes higher rank may lead to a higher number of escapes in the since that Yellow rank = 20% escape rate vs. Red rank = 60% (or whatever numbers they may be) BUT that is expected in the same way a Diamonds in Siege have a higher K/D than lower ranks but individually may still be poor players, however earning diamond actually does indicate Skill due to the effort required to earn it. Rank and Escaping does not equate to skill, skill level is generally viewed as the ability to be chased and loop the killer without issue, which is the core problem with ranks and MMR in a game like this as it cannot simply be determined by numbers due to the variability of the game.

A good example of a similar ranking system is Classic WoW which boils down to:

Time played = Rank earned, but Rank earned =/= Skill, the difference being 1 is a 14yr old MMO

Post edited by BigTimeGamer on