Is it bannable for me to throw every match I play against Spirit?

Options
2»

Comments

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

If you think it's a coin flip you just don't understand how to play against her. I bet you are one of those "but you don't know if she is phase or not". You don't need to know this actually.

There are only a finite number of things she can actually do. If you see her stand still she is A) standing still, B) phase walking. If you just run to the next tile then you beat A because now you gained distance and unless she has duration/speed add-ons chances are she won't be able to catch up if she starts phasing AFTER the fact. If you break LOS of the husk and then bait a vault or backtrack, you beat B. You can do both at the same time and beat both.

If she is far behind you then chances are high she is phasing after you. Vault a window. It's really that simple. Most of the time she won't have enough to phase around to the other side of the window and hit you. So you vault the window, then run to the next next tile. Keep doing this and you can make a chase with Spirit last quite a while. The only way she can beat you is if she has both MDR and Amulet, which is unlikely (not to mention that if she does you can more effectively back track or take unusual pathing since she can't see scratch marks).

But sure, it's a coin flip. Just guess! Because she can do 10 things at once. Okay.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209
    Options
  • Theetis
    Theetis Member Posts: 153
    Options

All the scenarios you're presenting assume that the Spirit is a dumbass that falls for these tricks 100% of the time. A good Spirit will not just waste most of her power bar to enable such silly 'jukes' from survivors. A good Spirit will use her power in short bursts and abuse the stupidly short cooldown of her power, forcing the survivor to win several coinflips during a span of about 30 seconds if they want to "outplay" her.

Sorry, but even Nurse is more interactive and interesting to get chased by than a yelling katana girl that makes you just play the lottery during chases.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

The first chase you’re blind but after that you know what she did the first time so you assume she’s going to do it again and do the opposite. Or you assume she’s going to assume you do the opposite and she’ll react to that.

You call that guessing If you want I call it a mind game.

Its like poker if a guy bets really big and you see he bluffs and then bets really big again later is he bluffing again or was the first time to set you up?

In baseball if a pitcher had thrown a first fastball when you last set batted is he going to do it again or will he switch it up.

Again you can call these guesses Or coin flops but anyone who’s ever played sports or games will tell you these things aren’t pure luck. Blaming everything on luck is just making excuses for losing.

• TrevorLahey93
    TrevorLahey93 Member Posts: 170
    Options

Nope. Been doing this for months against spirit. Haven't been banned yet.

• Theetis
    edited June 2020
    Options

Oh darn, you're supposed to have more than one chase with the Spirit? It's weird, for some reason whenever she downs me and puts me on a hook my character unvoluntarily tries to unhook themselves, and then my struggle button isn't responding at all.

Maybe it's a part of her mindgames too.

I guess that works out though, because I get to move on to a match where I actually get to interact with the killer during chases.

• thesuicidefox
    Options

If she is using her power in burst then just B line for the next loop. She comes out of phase way behind you and has to follow at 110. Eventually you will force her to use her entire power bar. The reason this tactic even works is because most survivors stay at the loop.

• Freesham
    Freesham Member Posts: 262
    Options

I don't see how playing against Spirit is that much of an issue. Don't play against them the same way you do regular M1 killers. Is she phasing? Stop running and start walking/crouching so she can't hear you. Consider slow vaulting windows while she's phasing to confuse her. Don't camp the pallet thinking you'll stun her before she pops out and hits you. If you need even more help, run Iron Will, it's good against killers in general to escape chases.

So try learning how to play against a killer instead of making excuses and giving up at the start.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

So true (minus the "B line", it's "beeline").

I once faced a Meg who did exactly that. She simply ignored my attempts at mindgaming her and kept running, like a real Meg. In other words, the only winning move is not to play.

• johnmwarner
    Options

You see Freesham people like Theetis think “interacting,” with the killer means dropping a pallet and running around in circles for 20 seconds before moving on to another loop. They also think Freddy is boring and Doctor is OP so they will kill themselves over and over until they get a game against Clown. Then they proceed to escape and say “get gud baby killer,” in end game chat

• thesuicidefox
    Options

I... wasn't calling it guesing.

There are a limited number of things she can be doing. Usually you have several options that would counter all or most of those things, so you pick the best one. Assume she is both phasing after you and standing still.

• thesuicidefox
    Options

Exactly. She can't mind game you if you have no mind to game.

This works against a lot of killers in fact, especially 110 killers (and Nurse). It's more risky against Huntress and Deathslinger, you have to time it properly to get enough distance to put stuff between you, but it still works. A lot of the time you can bait a killer to think you are camping a pallet or running the loop, then just bolt to another tile. By the time they realize you left, you already have a massive amount of distance. Against Spirit this forces her to use her entire phase to catch up, negating her ability to do short bursts or mind game you at all.

• Theetis
    Options

Darn, you figured me out. It's true, I main Nea, run DS Unbreakable, OoO and DH, always bring purple flashlights and click them with a macro at every killer and teabag at every opportunity to show those baby killers who's the boss. I also do the toxic 360s and yell ADUUUUUUUUUUUD when the baby killers at rank 20 that I purposefully deranked to get spun. I moonwalk 24/7 to assert my dominance over all the boosted killers, and when we finish genrushing them me and my toxic deathsquad SWF team laughs at them in a discord call, while we click flashlights and teabag them at exit gates. I also have three youtube channels where I upload 360 montages and DbD funny moments, and people like no0b3 bow before me. My steam name is Hex: BabyKillerSpinner/t.tv to advertise my supreme display of superiority over all the whiny killer mains.

Kappa.

• Respectfulnancymain
    Respectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816
    Options

Does it matter i assumed his motives?

What hes doing is wrong either way

• johnmwarner
    Options

Sorry I was saying the other person called it guessing and you explained very clearly how it wasn’t, didn’t mean to imply that.

• JustCats
    JustCats Member Posts: 298
    Options

It sucks when a literal ghost monster starts chasing you I guess.

Spirit isn't an auto-win, she's definitely got downsides and generally takes quite a bit of practice to both manage and utilize her power effectively. Waste her phase on long jumps and she's super one-dimensional. Her biggest advantage is that most survivors are locked into looking for "loop or die" close range chases which play right into conserving phase charge for short strikes.

Pay attention to the map, stay as far away as you can, and push her to use up phase charge to try and catch up to where she thinks you are. If Spirit blows a chase she's in a worse position than most killers cause she'll generally have no idea where to go. You want her afraid to phase cause she'll lose you, and standing at a pallet is the worst way to do that.

It's kind of extra snowflake to throw matches as a survivor cause you aren't creative and don't want to try. Sorry it's annoying that you can't run in the same circles the same way you can with most of the other killers.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

If you can't handle playing against a certain player/perk/killer/tactic for 10 minutes, you have no business playing multiplayer games, PERIOD

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

Killing yourself on the hook isn't bannable but letting the killer catch you on purpose is.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options
  • blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

It's definitely how you WONT get better against her and the people like this are what makes her strong. If one out of four survivors dc against every spirit match, yeah, shes going to seem op.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
    Options

It's a scummy thing to do but to be fair, either your teammates are good at the game and will suicide on hook or just go potato mode and die anyways, you can counter Spirit but it doesn't do much if your team can't capitalize off it.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    Options

Let me ask a question, if a killer gets sent to a map they dont like, is it ok that they afk in a corner cause the map is unfair? Its still screwing over the other 4 people but they get a free escape right? Thats the problem, by the technical side, theres nothing really wrong with it except its really unsportsmanlike. Yeah devs may want the killers to play the game but the same can be said in this case. Both unwanted elements are unknown until you start the match. Ultimately id say its wrong to hook suicide instantly with any killer or afk instantly from.any stage. Now, if its been 40 seconds you are hooked and two people are on the ground, i understand a little more, likewise if its 2 minutes, 2 gens are left everyones at full health, i wont blame the killer for saying screw it imma watch youtube either. But as a rule its rather unsportsmanlike unless the skill difference is so vast that it didnt matter what you did

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,030
    edited June 2020
    Options

When she pulls that, you kinda just have to play "shrodinger's spirit" and assume shes both phasing AND not phasing. You'd want to make it hard for her to locate your exact position by scuffing up the scratchmarks while also not putting yourself super out of position incase shes just standing there.

You also have to use common sense of the timing. If she JUST phased, shes obviously faking because its on cooldown.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
  • OutcastEric
    OutcastEric Member Posts: 495
    edited June 2020
    Options

why are mindgames in quotations? Survivors got her one solid mindgame taken away because "spiwit OHH PEee" which was her vault. You can easily outwit a spirit. Unless youre injured and she has the glasses. Then youre screwed lol. Otherwise pre drop pallets and guess right, just as she has to guess right. Try to stay near objects with multiple sides and always run IRON WILL. Good spirits dont run Stridor. Its a waste of a perk slot because if the survivor doesnt run iron will, Its confusing as heck to try and pinpoint their location. Its actually easier to pinpoint a running survivor with iron will without stridor bc of the footsteps.

• Dr_doom_j2
    Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869
    Options

Which cup is this ball under, that's more like the spirit mindgame. What you described is just intellectual dishonesty

• Grim
    Grim Member Posts: 250
    Options

@OutcastEric because her power's a joke. Knowing I only got the hit because the surv lost the coin flip does not feel rewarding to me and it's boring for the other side too.

You run stridor to remove the only real counter play she has. It's not confusing and I have no problem pinpointing where the surv is. Good headphones see to that and that's why good spirits do run stridor.

I get why people defend her. After playing killers like Clown or Bubba the power trip is nice. But there's no real chase there and that's the only reason I play either side. Just a guessing game where one side has all the information they need and the other has next to nothing.

• Dr_doom_j2
    Options

Well, I do agree that when injured, it's pretty much a losing run against her. In that sense the balance lies heavily with her. Guess that all plays into her synergy...

I don't want to put ridiculous ideas out there because even though I know she can be super strong, I don't want her castrated... But for the sake of argument, has anyone considered the idea that her red glasses add on is the only way to see scratch marks AND blood? Personally I think it be ok as long as they gave her back collision

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

It's very easy to mindgame you when you run in a straight line

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550
    Options

I hate spirit players who run stridor. It's like running bamboozle on Freddy. You have a strong, viable killer but you don't have enough skill to deal with even the slightest counterplay so you remove it and collect your free wins.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    edited June 2020
    Options

You'll never learn how to beat her if you don't play against her

• ayaya
    ayaya Member Posts: 163
    Options

Probably not because it ruins the game less than a killer that stays AFK whole match. And I see all the same people doing it everyday since months.

I used to do the same vs Spirits but I eventually gave it a try and realized that 90% of them are terrible.

• Dr_doom_j2
    Options

I hear you on that, and it's funny that right as I was saying all of that, I got loaded into a game with a spirit who was very impressive with her play. I can definitely agree I see where you're coming from.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Don't blame you. Personally I wouldn't do it but still.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

It's not bannable. Not the best thing to do as others have pointed out but nobody should force you to play something that you don't wanna play, so if you want to do this against every Spirit go for it. Even though I despise everything about her like you I'd still try and get some BPs at least, so it doesn't feel like a complete waste of time.

• Deadman316
    Deadman316 Member Posts: 578
    Options

I'm with you, I hate playing against Spirit. I wouldn't quit though, because she usually sacrifice me in 5 minutes anyway, so why bother?

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328
    Options

Why has still not a single dev or mod responded it thaz?

@PatBrutal @not_Queen

@Peanits @not_Queef

• johnmwarner
    Options

Why do they have to reply, it’s not reportable to run at the killer they would need multiple repairs and then watch you play and purposely lose and how do they prove it? You could just be really bad

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,217
    Options

Goes well with your name

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650
    Options

No, suiciding on hook is not bannable, nor will it ever be. So you do you. I will say even if my 1st impulse is to head out, I generally scout it out and do a gen or totem and see how it is gonna go. I hate Legion, so it does not take much for me to leave a Legion match but I do rack up a few points and assess how it is going before I leave. But yeah it is fine, you do not have to play with anyone you don't want to. I 100% think DC should be the option, but since that has been taken away, death on hook is almost as good. I have zero issues with people on my team or even the killer deciding a match isn't for them and heading out.

• Real_Cheesus
    Real_Cheesus Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2020
    Options

Tantrums are generally reportable behavior. If your temper and patience are that thin, I'd recommend trying out some other games. Maybe single-player ones.

• shwag
    shwag Member Posts: 417
    Options

Lol this thread is a hot button topic still ?