What's wrong with slugging?

Options
dhealy646
dhealy646 Member Posts: 462

I love getting slugged. It's basically an extra hook state because I took the killer on a chase and got picked up without being hooked.

Obviously I know the benefits because I main oni and don't even play survivor that much.

Comments

• dhealy646
    Options

What's the difference between lying on the floor and hanging on a hook?

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656
    Options

It depends on how its utilized.

If the game is going too fast for the killer to make up the difference and they need to slow it down - that's understandable. If someone off hooks in your face and you hit the off-hooked instead of the off-hooker on accident (or I guess on purpose), that's understandable.

But it's no fun for the person being slugged, so this being a go-to strategy from moment 1 of the game is a ######### way to play if you care about anyone else but yourself.

You can't do any objectives as a slug.

You don't gain points for evading the Killer or recovering as a slug.

Slugging people for a 4k because you can't legitimately hook and catch all 4 survivors is cheap.

It's zero fun to spend up to 4 minutes of a match doing nothing productive...not gaining pts, not helping your team, nothing.

Very few things in this game allow the killer/survivor to have more than 2 minutes of their time wasted. EGC was implemented. End game struggle was changed. All for the convenience of time. The overall slug timer makes sense, because you can be slugged multiple times for various duration, but it should come with an option to slit your wrists and die. Feel free to count it as a sacrifice. 😂

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

depends - if the killer is just going for a 4 man slug to onehook everyone, thats extremely boring for the survivors on the ground - same when they are slugging you and denying you the ability to get rescued.

other than that, if a killer slugs you and leaves you there for whatever reason, allowing for a recovery from it, its a lot better than being hooked, i definitely agree on that.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,532
    Options

@dhealy646

You've obviously never played a Rank 1 game with an Infectious Fright Billy, Oni or Nurse. You lose a ton of hook states because the Killer gets everyone on the floor and ends the game long before anyone is near death hook.

Occasional slugging is fine. But Killers that literally have builds centered around slugging all four people and ending the game as quickly as physically possible make the game not even worth playing tbh

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
    Options

As a killer main sometimes I have to slug you. I don’t enjoy doing it but I don’t leave you to crawl. Now as a survivor main myself as well I just brush it off cause there’s not really much you can do especially if you’re the last survivor.Sometimes some killers just do it for their own giggles because they have the brain the size of a walnut and think it’s funny to watch you die..

• GΣVΛЦDΛП
    GΣVΛЦDΛП Member Posts: 19
    Options

@gatsby

You've obviously never played a Rank 1 game with optimal survivors that complete generators so fast you don't get a chance to hook anyone or patrol generators and ends the game within 5 minutes.

Occasional genrushing is fine. But Survivors that literally have builds centered around genrushing all 5 gens and ending the game as quickly as physically possible make the game not even worth playing tbh.

• dhealy646
    Options

I AM THAT ONI

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 646
    Options

Slugging being acceptable or unacceptable is situational. Oni and Myers have a limited time to use their insta, so they are likely to slug one and look for another before their timer runs out. Understandable.

When I play killer I do not tunnel but occasionally you accidentally swat down a fresh offhook, I leave them for someone else to get up. Acceptable.

Going out of your way to slug all 4 people so you can leisurely hook all 4 together and they did not get to play, will get no points and depip, is UNacceptable. If you have no interest in really even playing this game, just don't and let everyone else get on with it instead of just ruining it for 4 people for no good reason.

Slugging the 3rd guy to go look for the 4th or hatch is also a cheap move. If you can't legitimately find and hook all 4 players you don't deserve the 4k, I find this a very distasteful move and do not ever do it.

Some stuff is just always toxic and BS, like facecamps and flashlight clicking. But slugging definitely has more gray area.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

Obviously because its boring™

No but seriously,slugging seems to be unfun because it leaves the survivor helpless without him being able to do much.

In my opinion slugging is mostly fine.It's the fairest way to get more time and pressure as a killer and requires the survivors do some kind of mistake that the killer can take advantage of (e.g survivors didn't spread out,survivor unhooked not safely etc.).

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 800
    Options

Hooked survivors give large amounts of BP and emblem progress to their rescuer.

Slugged survivors require just as much time and effort, but offer next to zero reward for the rescuer.

No, they are no comparable.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

It's contextual. Slugging one in four, or someone who just got off the hook? Acceptable and tactical.

Slugging one of two to secure a 4k, rather than risk the hatch? Cheap and underhanded. Just take the risk.

• Haroharo05
    Haroharo05 Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2020
    Options

The devs and survivors actively encourage you to slug for pressure due to gen speeds, or slug against DS, yet unironically complain about it at the same time.

You want to fix slugging? Look at gen speeds. Or do the stupid thing and nerf slugging and make the game even worse for killers because slugging is clearly toxic :)

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Strategic slugging is understandable. I think it's when you get the killer that tries to slug and 1 hook everyone that people dislike.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Thats literally the only time I think its lame. I get its effective but whats the use of playing if nobody is getting any kind of points. The killer didnt either.

Otherwise its fair game

• NinjaDette1
    Options

As a killer main I don’t like to slug survivors unless they act like complete a-holes the entire game.I feel like it’s better to just hook them and move on to the next survivor.Now as a survivor it is never fun when you end up being the one who gets slugged and I’m sure many would agree.But you just gotta except that you got slugged and need to move on.If you are someone who gets rages and you feel the need to act immature and message the killer with malicious intent you need to go back to kindergarten.

• Ghostwithaface
    Ghostwithaface Member Posts: 594
    edited June 2020
    Options

Well slugging can be useful for the killer or backfire. As Otz once said, it up to the killer to make their best judgement if slugging would be the right call or hooking them would be. Since the people who call it highly effective, don't remember Otz words of wisdom or the time he try out a certain build on ghostface. Where he even states, he got his but handed to him a number of times using this ghostface build. That you need to know when to slug and when not to slug. That and there are certain cases where it just common sense. Oh hey a survivor near a pallet. Better look around or make sure there is not a flash light user around before picking them up.

Now the issue people take most issue with, when it comes to slugging, is not the Oni way of doing it. To make good use of your power but rather slugging everyone on the ground and leaving them to bleed out. Since if a killer does snowball really fast, due to making good use of their power or survivors acting stupid. Well that just the killer doing their job. Might as well end it by hooking people. Now the survivor crawling off and the killer having no idea where they are. Different story, since it hard to hook someone you have no idea where they are. That and sometimes a survivor on the ground can be hard to find. Due to a sound bug, which can be seen in the video below.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,397
    Options

I don't really get the issue with slugging either. As survivor or killer it feels fine to me. Getting slugged saves me a hook state and there's no difference between me sitting on a hook or on the ground. At least on the ground I can crawl.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

This just reminds me of a game I had recently while practicing Spirit. After my first down I ended up having a survivor get a flashlight save. Dumb move on my part sense I KNEW the survivor team brought multiple flashlights...but whatever. Managed to redown the survivor seconds later anyway, so no biggy. The same survivor with the flashlight was waiting around for round 2 though...so I left the first survivor on the ground and took down the 2nd. This ended up spiraling into a match where I hooked people when possible, but had alot of slugging going on as well due to people constantly being around trying to get saves as soon as I picked up a teammate until finally... 5 minutes after the match starts...it ended. Ironiclly the first person I had downed was the last to be hooked, to which they died on their first hook.

The guy who managed the flashlight save went on to say how they couldnt wait to depip so they wouldnt have to face such sweaty tryhards...cuz apparently I wasnt suppose to play around abunch of ppl trying for flashlight saves.

• Ghostwithaface
    Options

@LordGlint That survivor sounds like they don't play killer or don't understand common sense. The killer is not going to mindlessly pick someone up, when there is a flash light squad around.

• NinjaDette1
    Options

As both a killer and survivor main I completely understand where you are coming from.Some people are just completely rude.They like to think that they are in charge and not the actual person who is the one playing as killer.A while ago when I used to have my chat set on public I had teammates who would blame me for them killing themselves.I’m just like really? you Feel the need to message me just to blame me for something that was completely you’re own fault you’re mother must be proud😐.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Ghostwithaface I'm completely use to ppl saying ANYTHING in an attempt to push the blame of failure off of themselves instead of just saying GG and being done with it. Here's a game I had the other day as Clown trying out his Tattooed man's middle finger addon. I got the typical "camper/tunnel" chant as soon as I entered chat, even though my chaser emblem clearly shows I didnt lose a single point for being near hooked survivors at all.

As you can see... There was 0 camping at all and enough hooks to score me an iri in devout, which requires a minimum of 9 hooks total.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Sometimes survivors leave you no choice. You down someone in open area and couple survivors trying get your attention running around having fun. So you have to leave your slug and get him bored while you chasing someone else. And when you down second survivor you have to leave him because someone already healing your first slug and you have no time to hook him. So you go for your third survivor. Then fourth survivor that see this can hide for hatch or risk to join unhappy slug team. And at the end survivors that come to bully you and have fun just keep being bored because they force you to play unfun for them. I guess everyone had match like this.

Personnaly I slug only when I see someone else around who might be down quickly. Or at least I would try to get him injured. If he is in at full health and in safe area it's better hook downed survivor.

If someone failed to unhook so you have hooked survivor and slug under that hook it is barely winnable sutuation for survivors if you leave him slugged. Yet another situation that survivor get bored because they messed up.

But killers like Oni with Infectious Fright is a different story. They have ability to down a chain of survivors who might be save vs another killer. In that case this is not survivors' fault they are slugged. It's just a killer's build he use as efficiently as he can. Sure you can legitimately blame him for not entertaining you in post game chat if you want.

• Ghostwithaface
    Options

@NinjaDette1 Forums are not letting me quote for some reason. Yet anywho. As someone who solo survivors 100% of the time. You see all sorts of odd stuff. I legit saw someone who killed themselves on hook and than stuck around until the end of the match. Just to say bad game. They screw over the other three survivors. Than just say bad game. The killer was just playing the game normally. Nothing out of the normal. First thing that happen is the survivor kills themselves on hook, than a dc later on in the match. Than after some back and forth, ends in a 4k for the Myers. Post game chat, of course the guy who just screwed over his team says bad game.

• LordGlint
    edited June 2020
    Options

@kaeru Powers like Oni's are all about getting value while you have it. The power turns off as soon as you pick someone up, so its typically a good idea to get as much value out of it while you can before then. Same can be said of Myer's T3. You dont wanna waste a large chunk of your T3 carrying ppl to hooks. Do that part after the T3 is over and get the dmg in while the T3 is active.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I had a game vs Oni once when he run this slugging strategy build. He slugged me to death. In post game I asked him why he let me die on ground. He appologised and said he did it unintentionally and he feel bad about it. I wouldn't say it was a bad game. I always die on hook and this time I died on the ground for a change so I don't mind slugging. And I don't thik it's boring to be slugged if you can crawl. When I slugged while killer looking for last survivor I just crawl to closest locker to make him think that last survivor hiding there. And it is hillarious when he buys it. So even if you slugged you can find a way to make it fun game.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

People who complain about slugging are just searching for excuses that they lost

Especially the "getting slugged is boring" argument

Getting slugged is more interactive then hanging on a hook

If anything slugging should be more encouraged. There should be a tooltip during loading screens that says something like "leaving a survivor on the ground loses you a hookstate, but saves you valuable time"

Learning when to slug is probably one of the biggest lessons you can give to a killer player who is struggling with pressuring the gens

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Am I the only one that sees bleeding out as a draw? The killer doesnt get pip points for that and didnt gdt bps for hooking me. You slug me it becomes a game, Im trying to bleed out. When someone bleeds out on me I see it the same way

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

There are 3 "boring" strategies that lead to consistent wins against bad survivors.

1) Camping

2) Tunneling

3) Slugging

All of these 3 strategies can be countered by doing gens instead of running around like headless chickens.

1) camping = free gens as the killer won't show up. Only works if people hover around the hook instead of doing gens.

2) tunneling = free gens as the killer ignores everyone but the unhooked survivor. Only works if the tunneled survivor is weak in a chase.

3) slugging = free gens as the killer won't show up as they will guard their slugs hoping for brainless teammates to come by and join them on the ground. Only works if people get downed quickly AND refuse to do gens as long as someone else is on the ground. Most killers guard their slugs one way or another so that's 4(!) minutes that allow you to do gens and IF the survivor bleeds out the killer gets no sacrifice points so they WILL hook them eventually.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Slugging is a High Risk High Reward type thing.

• Khallaria
    Khallaria Member Posts: 73
    Options

I like how no one in this thread mentioned one of the most common reasons to slug. Avoiding DS from the bullysquads who use the pickup immunity to bodyblock for other survivors in chase or to have grab immunity while pushing a gen.

• Ghostwithaface
    Options

@LordGlint Yeah some players are salty. See it from time to time. Survivors infighting, yelling at the killer. When more often than not, the claims they bring up didn't really happen or are just trying to play the blame game. That or like to leave out context or somehow have standards that are impossible, like their fellow survivor somehow should magically knowing where they are, without anything like bond to guide them.