Why are so many survivors using self care?

Dzeikor
Dzeikor Member Posts: 704
edited June 2020 in General Discussions

This perk is literally garbage and loses you matches especially in soloq,when I see rank 1 survivors using self care, doing nothing the whole game except healing themselves because they never heard about bond or medkits,or searching chests,literally anything else is better for healing.Sloppy buthcer is kind of a meta perk and counters self care so hard it hurts.

Comments

• Razer
    Razer Member Posts: 2

Yeah, it does only slow them down so much it makes them lose. But they use it because when they first get the game the perk actually helps since teammates usually run away and don't heal since you are all low rank noobs making it really useful for survival and therefore winning since killers aren't really good enough at that rank to stop gens. The problem is as they get better they don't realise that time management is how you win so they use self-care which greatly slows downs gens. But since the game does not communicate this at all some high rank players still have that noob mindset of how survival means winning.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

The perk itself isn’t bad, that’s a blanket statement that makes you look like you don’t understand the gsme.

Yes, blendettes selfcaring in the corner against sloppy are bad. If I take 32 second to heal myself and let you stay in the gen for 16 seconds instead of running to you to get help that works out the same time wise to you healing me for 16 second and then us working the gen together for 16 seconds.

Due to the penalty when two survivors work a gen together its slightly better actually but that’s splitting hairs.

TLDR self care isn’t bad, the way some people use self care is

• shwag
    shwag Member Posts: 417

To heal when you can not rely on others To heal you.

I get games where people run by and won't heal me or let me heal them.

• Dzeikor

I still think its not worth it,I mean if you play with survivors that unhook you and not heal you,gonna lose the game anyway,so bad survivors,self care,you gonna lose anyway,using self care doesn't mean you will magically escape or do better lol,if anything you just gonna waste time.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177
    edited June 2020

@Dzeior Then I guess I need to add a new FAQ Question to my previous list...

If your team isn't healing you, you're going to lose anyway so why bother with Self Care? At least with Self Care, this gives me as an individual survivor the chance to escape. If the rest of the team won't heal each other up for whatever reason, I'll hope that we can either get the generators done fast enough so that I can leave or they'll get themselves slaughtered and I can Hatch Escape. Being able to heal myself takes one factor out of bad teammates hands.

At the very least, I can get more BP by staying in the game longer, even if I can't "win" with an escape. Escaping is a nice cherry on top but escaping isn't the End All Be All of the game.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Of course it's bad when you give those examples.

It's more than a fine Perk when the circumstances are right.

Borrowed Time is close to being a waste of a Perk if you're facing no Terror Radius guys.

Can't use Dead Hard if you're caught in a Bear Trap & get grabbed/hit, Healthy & hit by a 1-down Killer Power, Healthy & hit while Exposed, etc.

Executioner's Cages are going to block/change lots of Perks, but circumstances might demand from him to hook someone instead, even if they can Cage them.

That's how the game works.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

Egoism > team play

That's the mind if the majority. They rather selfcare in the corner while the whole team gets slaughtered so they can take hatch instead of staying injured for a while and help pressuring gens

• Dzeikor
    edited June 2020

I agree yamaoka,the perk is not only bad,it also helps killers.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

shush

i am using nurse calling

i need to find them someway

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@DudeDelicious yeah, SC is actually crazy good with Botany and it even isn't affected by Sloppy, it's 25 seconds or something.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

I have one build where I use Botany and Self Care - usually I will bring a medkit to make full use of the efficiency. Self Care is there for those times I just run short of charges for a full heal. Botany does help with healing others significantly without any requirements.

But I don't prioritize self care, I think that is the difference from most other self care users. If I'm isolated on the other side of the map and we are in a good spot with generators/saves, I might self care so I'm not an easy M1 hit or to make it easier to just walk out the exit gate. Otherwise it is saving or doing gens no matter what condition I am in.

• Poweas

@DudeDelicious yeah, it's actually insane.

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696

Probably because they can't rely on their team mates to heal them, it's why i take self care with me but only use it when i can' get healed by team mates.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

@tippy2k2

Thanks. You saved me from having to type a very similar response....once again....for the 5000th time too.

• Dzeikor

the thing is many survivors use self care and nothing else to synergy with it

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I experience it time and again as solo survivor, you find your teammates, they just dont heal you. Bound helps how in this situation?

• Dzeikor

self caring just holds the whole team down most of the times

• Valor188917
    Valor188917 Member Posts: 649

If you are consistently able to pull of 20sec chases per hit then selfcare is good. You wasted 20 seconds of the killers time, you selfcare up and you're healthy again to do whatever without needing a teammate while your team essentially gained a 60 second advantage if all are still alive.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

As others have already said. You can't rely on your team for heals. Self Care, like many perks can be good or bad depending on the situation. Combing it with Botany makes it solid and more efficient than another survivor healing you.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited June 2020

Cause people can use whatever perks they want?

Pretty mind blowing concept I know.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

I'll just copypasta my answer to a similar topic a few days ago

Honestly, it's not as bad of a perk in soloq as it's made out to be. Of course, a lot depends on how you use it. If every time you get hit you run to the corner of the map to SC with mangled and 4 stacks of thana, then it basically becomes the killer's 5th perk.

However, if you self-heal when a reset is really needed, then it's a dependable perk. Bond is really no substitute, because in soloq you never know who you get on your team. Even as a killer main, I lost count of the times I needed a heal and a teammate obliviously ran away or straight-up refused to patch me up.

Inner Strength is superior in theory, but then again there are times where you can't find a totem for the life of you. Medkits are great, but your stash will run out, eventually.

• Gonourakuto
    Gonourakuto Member Posts: 109

Rank 1 survivor here because i rather waste 20 sec to self care than spend the entire game wounded and probably waste more time by trying to be overly careful because i am a 1 shot instead self caring

you being bad and not understanding a perk value doenst mean it is

• Poweas

Do you use it with Botany? If so, how good is it? Does it feel like the good old SC?

• Dzeikor

Rank 1 killer here,I always use sloppy butcher so good luck :)

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

I use self care and I don't really care what people think. I don't always have medkits to bring, can't hope to find one in a chest or be close to someone for them to heal me and sometimes even when I find other survivors, they don't heal me, so I don't need anyone else to heal me. It takes a few seconds? Yes, but it would be worse for me to be found hurt and downed quickly because I couldn't evade the killer for long.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620
    edited June 2020

I do use self-care just because there are way tons of people who won't heal me.

I should run Med-kits instead you say? Franklin's Demise want to say hello to you.

And no, I don't run into a corner just to self-care, that's silly and lost tons of time.

Why are you self-caring instead of saving me? I am not that good to outsmart the killer, so we will probably end on the hook together, besides if the killer is camping you at least I will have another attempt. Although if I see you dangeriously close to the 2nd phase or the end of the second then sure, I'll run to you.

• toxcitynacl
    toxcitynacl Member Posts: 464

I use SC on my smurf as I don't have inner strength...hoping IS appears in the shrine some day.

• toxcitynacl
    toxcitynacl Member Posts: 464

I ran right up to a survivor once and they refused to heal me...guess doing the gen was more important. They ended up getting hooked and as punishment we refused to unhook them and let them die as we escaped.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

Some people will plow through a gen to get their Adrenaline, but as solo then if you don't run it you are SoL... they speed burst away and leave you injured so I like having self care as well

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694

I frequently use Sloppy+Nurse's with stealth killers and SC is my absolute favorite perk. There have been so many times when I can just walk up to a self caring survivor hiding behind a rock at the edge of the map and down them. If o know a survivor had SC and I find them with another survivor I hit the SC survivor and chase the other one since I know they are out of commission for ~40 sec.

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Idk but it makes playing killer super easy.

• NeonAlien
    NeonAlien Member Posts: 328

If you know when to use it and can pull through injured aswell, I got no problem with it, but most of the time I see them selfcaring EVERYTIME after they took a hit (I often use bond) and it hurts the match so much. You could help finishing a crucial gen while the killer is chasing someone else but you decide to chill in a corner selfcaring for an hour 🙄

I have had games where one or more survivors essentially spent the whole match selfcaring, and I'm sorry but it is so annoying.

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
  • Theetis
    Theetis Member Posts: 153

Self Care:

• takes 32 seconds flat
    • in order to heal you forfeit performing any other actions
    • it is affected by a lot of commonly run perks and addons; sloppy butcher, thanatophobia, dying light, mangled addons
    • whenever you get injured, you have to do it all over again
    • you're not working towards any objective whatsoever
    • synergizes with Botany Knowledge and Medkits, which only encourages a healing oriented build, rather than diversity

Inner Strength:

• takes 14 seconds to cleanse a totem, and 8 seconds to heal, not including travel time
    • can be activated preemptively in order to use later
    • the survivor is free to do whatever they want: works on gens, loop the killer or anything else they please, all that with a heal available at all times
    • no commonly used perks or addons affect totem cleansing nor locker healing
    • you're working towards the second objective, which is cleansing totems. It also helps you prevent NOED.
    • synergizes with perks like Quick & Quiet, Head On, encouraging diversity; this combo offers stealth, survivability and chase/utillity potential, as well as Detective's Hunch, which gives the survivor immense amounts of information

Sorry, but Nancy is just more efficient at taking care of herself than Claudette.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

You need to keep in mind that self caring doesn't actually waste any more time than being healed by another survivor. Normal healing time is 16 seconds, and the time to self care is always double that, so it's either two survivors off of gens for 16 seconds, or one survivors off of gens for 32 seconds, so generally speaking it's the exact same time not spent on generators. With sloppy Butcher it's 20 seconds and 40 seconds. In fact, if you have no team mates close to you, self caring can even save you some time because you are not wasting time running around and looking for a team mate.

The problem really lies within how some people use the perk. Even though you don't actually waste more time not doing gens, you yourself are still healing for double the time, in which the match progresses and all kinds of things can happen. So sometimes you can't heal up fully in time before you are needed else where, like when a survivors is on a hook and they need your help, and that's where people often use the perk inproperly.

• Dzeikor

it also makes you stationary and not doing anything else for 32 seconds,at least while using bond you always know where your teammates are and is a much better healing perk than self care,everytime I see survivors using self care they do bad againts a decent killer,because they're not doing objectives

• Dzeikor
    edited June 2020

literally any other healing perk is better than self care,you dont need infinite heals,to make self care even remotely good you have to run other perks like botany knowledge and forfeit 2 perk slots just to get infinite heal you probably dont even need because the matches dont take that long,and the longer a match is the more is in the killer favor

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725
    edited June 2020

My 4th slot which is where I put Botony if I'm using is a rotating slot that changes depending on challenges, dailies, or whatever. I do actually like using Botany a lot not just for self healing but also because it makes healing others faster. However, the seconds it saves tends to be rather inconsequential. The one that matters so much that time spent healing is irrelevant is whether or not I'm injured when the killer finds me. And Self-Care is the only one to garuntee that you have a way of healing yourself. It's awesome when other survivors are smart enough to heal you. Medkits are cool but limited. Inner Strength is nifty but barely saves any time over self care and is limited in its use. If you want to rely on luck or limited use heals, that's up to you, but I'm going to rely on the most reliable way of getting healed when nothing else heals me.

When you include travel time, it ironically ends up being almost the same amount of time. Inner Strength also forces you to forfeit performing any other actions. Inner Stength is pretty brutally countered by killer instinct if you going for counters not to mention Iron Maiden which shows up on Huntresses. When you get injured with Inner Stength you obviously have to do it all over again as well. I'll admit inner strength actually does work towards an objective and that's where it shines over Self Care. Who in the hell thinks that synergy and specific builds are actually a bad thing?

While half of your Inner Strength points are true, half aren't. The survivor is clearly not free to do whatever else they want to use Inner Strength. There's 3 perks that counter hex cleansing and two that counters locker healing. Haunted Grounds shows up quite regulary expecially on Spirit, Iron Maiden shows up on a number of Huntresses, Thrill of the Hunt is used in totem builds, Stridor shows up on a number of killer especially Nurse, and let's not forget killer instinct which is basekit for Legion. And I don't even know how to respond to the fact that you're boasting the synergies of Inner Strength while implying the synergies of Self Care are a fault.

But you've clearly neglected to mention the biggest faults with Inner Strength. First, you actually have to find a totem which will take so much time that when you add it to the cleanse time, locker finding time, and locker hiding time, it goes way beyond the time it takes to self care which you can do anywhere without any setup. Second, you're dependent on other players not finding totems before you which would completely ruin your use of Inner Strength. The third problem isn't that big of a problem, but it is important to mention that Inner Strength actually encourages not doing totems once you have your Inner Strength primed otherwise it would be a waste of a future use of the perk.

• PureHostility
    PureHostility Member Posts: 708

Self Care is fine.

It gives points towards the hardest category to max as survivor, doesnt make you waste time running for other teammates and waste their time too, which often actually takes more than 32 seconds to do.

Inner Strength is limited to totems, which is fine, as IS is hell of strong, 2 birds with 1 stone, however a lot of times totems are cleansed ASAP just because, challenges, ez 1k points, NOED, others running IS.

SC can be used with botany and resilence. Botany also boosts healing of others. Sc and botany boosts medikit efficiency through the roof.

Perk is fine, I prefer IS for less down time. Sc just got bad game due to pr0 strimmurs saying so. Time wise it is not that bad and you should actually understand that.

• Perelie
    Perelie Member Posts: 433

It's a bad perk for bad players.

• Dzeikor

This,I cant take seriously survivors that use self care is such a bad perk it hurts.But I know many of them use it,this is why I always use sloppy butcher when playing killer lol.

• ayaya
    ayaya Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2020

They should delete this perk because it's sandbagging way too many matches. Even if it would get nerfed once again and it took 5min to heal some people would still use it vs legion with sloppy.

I replaced SC with Iron Will over a year ago and learnt how to play. If you're not great at chases chances are you will get better when you play injured for most of the match.

• dragobv
    dragobv Member Posts: 304

i love it especially when the survivor with selfcare is on the gate and selfcares after getting hit instead of opening the door what a great way to die

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277
  • Theetis
    Theetis Member Posts: 153

The perks you're mentioning that "counter" Inner Strength are niche perks that are usually used on individual killers occasionally or just specific builds in general. With there being 20 killers in the game, the chance of getting them is rather low. It's like arguing that it's not worth to bring healing perks or medkits at all, because you can run into a Plague, or go for a stealthy build, because there's a chance that the killer will be a Wraith with the purple All-Seeing addon.

Inner Strength can be activated at the very start of the match, when you just spawned and decided to look for a totem nearby. After that, you've got a 8 second heal available to you at all times. Trust me, it's not uncommon to do a totem at the start of the match, and become injured only after about 2-3 gens are popped. When that happens, you can spend 8 seconds in a locker to heal up and reclaim your momentum by pressuring the killer once again. With Self-Care, you'd have to spend at least half a minute not doing anything, giving the killer an opportunity to snowball, since there's one person less doing anything productive.

If you play this game a decent amount of time, chance is you know where totems can spawn. The only maps you can truly have problems with are Lery's and Hawkins, which is only two maps out of thirty five.

I think you might've misunderstood my point about perk synergy. I'm not saying that Self-Care having synergy with Botany or medkits is a bad thing, nothing of the sort. What I meant by that is that the synergy sacrifices multiple perk slots, and an item slot, in order to just get better at one, specific thing. Inner Strength however synergizes with perks that cover areas other than healing. Combining it with Head On and Quick & Quiet gives you a chance to confuse a killer in chase, heal during those 8 seconds, and then stun him when he figures it out. It lets you save your teammates as well. Combining it with Detective's Hunch gives you a lot of information; it helps you navigate maps such as Midwitch, Lery's, The Game, Hawkins by telling you the locations of generators, it helps you prevent 3 gen setups, because you can see exactly which gens are close to each other. It also shows you the auras of totems, and more often than not, with just one gen popped you already get to know where all five totems are. It is especially valuable as a solo survivor, because you get a reliable way of self healing and a lot of useful information throughout the trial.

Regarding this statement: "The third problem isn't that big of a problem, but it is important to mention that Inner Strength actually encourages not doing totems once you have your Inner Strength primed otherwise it would be a waste of a future use of the perk."

I think it all just comes down to how you use it. If my team is ahead and I see there still are three or four totems on the map, I will go destroy them even if I've already got one for my Inner Strength. If there is a Hex perk that I know for sure isn't Haunted Grounds, I will destroy it as well.

All totems being done even halfway through the match is something that happens very rarely, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Finding totems isn't difficult either, because if you play the game enough, you should have a general idea where totems can spawn. The only maps that can be actually problematic are Lery's and Hawkins, but that's just two maps out of thirty five.