Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How Is the DBD Rift Leveling System OK?

So I've finished all challenges of all 4 levels of the Tome III today and it only got me to rift level 62. If we do a quick math here;

800 exp for 1 fragment

10 fragments for 1 tier level of rift

62 to 70 is 8 tier levels

8 tier levels needs: 8 levels x 10 fragments each = 80 fragments

80 fragments needs: 800 exp x 80 fragments = 64000 exp

64000 exp / 500 exp = 128 games total (I've explained how i get 500 exp per game below here)

So i still need to play 128 games in 17 days which is like 8 games per day and it's like playing 5 hours each day considering queues too.

How is this OK? I'm not an average player, i'd consider myself hardcore and a good player, i have 1900+ hours in the game aswell and i play since 2017. If this is like that for me, how can an average/casual player complete this rift? Shouldn't the rift be like 50 or 60 levels on total?

All challenges completed:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528593954139/F18377E2C363341F18E679AF21EEF4EB0BB242F2/

Rift level 62:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528593954644/4D2ED45128F8464DACB5755AEEEFFBDCD4F7997D/

Here is how i get around 500 exp in games;

Survivor screenshot 1

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528594018678/5411A094DDFB684B93D7642A57423B73AADCC589/

Survivor screenshot 2

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528594019096/3BDB04957ADB273A457ADBDBE4C3D55FCAEC9421/

Survivor screenshot 3

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528594019453/B94100E23459144F63117BDC3611D6B415F840B7/

Survivor screenshot 4

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528594019847/F6FB77510667FCDA97AE185096E8C7F61D1596D4/

Killer screenshot 1

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528594081777/62F281A05561B4DB2008FBEF356A2E9ECE6551AB/

Killer screenshot 2

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528594082206/E2053D998A8D29A65AFD8DB8803165DC805FC21E/

Killer screenshot 3

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528594082685/AE996B0FA6C952B465F5BB90371B1779D2BA811F/

Killer screenshot 4

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528594083087/5D6AAD50D6D0863E1AC5E703855D3ECCECA03616/

(So if we can see here, a good game as a solo queue survivor where you could live long enough without getting tunneled/camped to death quickly, you get like 597 exp. With killer if you get a good game with 4 kills, you get 598 exp. If we are being too optimistic about it we could say you get 500 exp on average.)

Comments

• BodamEscapePlan
    BodamEscapePlan Member Posts: 75

I always wondered what the actual math on this was. I never seem to get very far but I don't play every day, so this helps explain that a bit.

• felipao_brabo
    felipao_brabo Member Posts: 169

weird, i've done like half of them and I'm 64

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

Odk i finished it like 3 weeks ago and i havent finished the challanges for lvl 4 yet 🤷‍♂️

• mike1288mccarthy
    mike1288mccarthy Member Posts: 78

Here's what I try to a tier a day it's hard but not impossible and the exp is misleading if you grind the game enough you'll eventually yet there i think before tome 4 came out I think I was around 45-55 range not exactly sure but I'm now at 62-64 range and I still have 3 survivor challenges 2 of both survivor or killer and all of the killer challenges left and last rift I finished the rift about a day before tome 4 even came out I think it depends on your play style too some people can't complete it because of the way they play not how long they play I don't play that much make a few hours a day and I can still get to tier 70 pretty easily and I'm definitely not the greatest dbd player in the game

• kill_bill
    kill_bill Member Posts: 60

why u think u should get to the max level if u dont play much?

just be happy to get free stuff .

btw i think its not that hard to get to max level. im a casual player too. i mostly play on weekends and maybe 2-3 games the rest of the week after work to relax and i was on max level even before tome 4 was released

• w_sohl
    w_sohl Member Posts: 124
    edited June 2020

You should really average about 550 experience per game. You'll have some in the 400s and others where you'll get 600+. First survivor match of the day, bonus 300. First killer match of the day, bonus 300.

1: 550+300=850 (1 fragment, 50 extra) 1st killer

2: 550+300+50=900 (1 fragment, 100 extra) 1st survivor

3: 550+100=650

4: 550+650=1200 (1 fragment)

5: 550+400=950 (1 fragment)

6: 550+150=700 (no fragment)

7: 550+700=1250 (1 fragment)

8: 550+450=1000 (1 fragment)

9: 550+200= 750 (no fragment)

10: 550+750=1300 (1 fragment)

11: 550+500=1050 (1 fragment)

12: 550+250=800 (1 fragment)

Based on this you should receive a fragment in your first two matches every day, 1K and 1S. Then, whichever side you prefer to play after that, you should roughly average 2 fragments every three matches. Your first level every day should only take about 13+/- matches, then about 15 matches per level the rest of the day.

In my experience I've actually averaged closer to 575 per match so my first level reach day only took 12 matches on average.

I reached tier 70 with 30 days remaining thanks to COVID. I have a friend however that reached 70 with about 45 days remaining.

When I'm working full time I just look to gain 18 tiers per rift level. Levels one and two are two weeks long and levels three and four are three weeks long.

If you are only 8 tiers away, you only need to play 1K, 1S and then 4-5 matches of whatever you want each day and you'll easily hit it by day 70.

• Imp2
    Imp2 Member Posts: 14

Well im at lvl 65 but there are a few challenges left. These should get me to 66.8.

500xp is about right , being afk will grant you like 200xp.

But you need to consider the First Game of the day SV/Killer +300xp each.

20days until the rift closes. 20x1600xp if u do just 2 games each day. ( 4 easy rift levels )

In your case 62 to 66. 4 more to grind.

I play 1 game killer and 1 game survivor each day. Some of them afk, because I have no time to wait / play all time (35y over here).

If I have more time a day, I'm rushing the Tome Challenges. I'm not at a red rank , which makes it pretty easy to complete most of them. Smth like the do 5 Legion hits in one frenzy , I'm doing in a farm game.

• Hail_to_the_King
    Hail_to_the_King Member Posts: 183
    edited June 2020

I remember hearing a dev mention that they wanted completing all 4 levels to take you to the end of the rift. That just isn't the case and I believe it's that way by design. They don't want it to take us all the way because they want us to keep playing the game or spend our free cells on those last levels so we will have to buy 1000 more cells to get the next pass. It's designed to be that way which absolutely sucks.

• R52G
    R52G Member Posts: 257

Imo it’s so many levels because of the charms. I never use them tbh. They’re kinda cool but mostly just a filler spot for almost half of each rift tbh.

• rottmeister
    rottmeister Member Posts: 316

I bought 10 tiers because I really wanted the Kate cosmetics and I know I wouldn't have had much time because of my exams. I also used all the auric cells from the pass on tiers as well and I'm currently level 68 with most survivor challenged completed and quite a lot of killer challenges.

This will probably be the last time I buy the pass. Kate is my only non licensed main and I don't think Feng is getting a more iconic outift in the rift than her bunny outfit.

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581

Man I did every challenge on all levels except for four (two Huntress and two Legion) and only made it to 52....so idk #########. I don't know how this stuff works out like that. I play around 6 hours a day,but I think I missed like a week or so when I was playing Star Wars. By my math I figured I'd have to do like 200 matches,but I'm not good at math lol. I was thinking of getting as close as I can then just buying the last ones. I don't buy cosmetics otherwise so might at well. I always seem to make it to 50 something every rift. Like regardless of if I do more or less challenges. It's starting to make me slightly angry.

• Komodo16
    Komodo16 Member Posts: 1,488

I'm not even 100 percent and I have all tiers by today dude you can't be hardcore then, but then again this is my fav game and no other games intrigue me so idk

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131

DbD devs : "Just play more!"

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

Odd, i started with 42 days left and now i am tier 61, rift 1+2 done, 3 are 3 challenges missing and 75% of the 4 are still there. Seems you played just not enough games, because the xp is almost the same.

• ohgod
    ohgod Member Posts: 23

What, I don't do math sorry

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358

Not even sure how or why this is a complaint. You did challenges and are almost done. What's the issue? You like the game just play it and you'll finish it. I was at 60+ without tome 4 tome is only about half done for me if even and I'm done with the pass.

• DCash
    DCash Member Posts: 170

I got to 70 before level 4 came out for all 3 tomes. Frankly it seems too easy to get to 70. I get it without trying. Are you doing all the challenges? Those boost your rift xp a lot.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

I played like 4 hours per day this Rift and was done with it a week after Level 3 came out. And i didnt even finished all challenges from Level 1-3. so if you only play 8 games in 5 hours youre doing something seriously wrong.

• shwag
    shwag Member Posts: 417

I only ever finished the first rift all the others ones I ran out of time half way, pretty sure it's like this so you can use cells and skip tiers.

I've seen quite a few people with max rewards 3 days after it started so we have Wales for sure who enable the devs to make it this grindy in fear of missing out.

Personally I find battle pass systems to be scummy and very greedy. There are way better ways to promote ways to support the game but the rift pass feels shady.

• ZttII
    ZttII Member Posts: 12

I think an issue is that the devs would say that each challenge is not necessarily designed to be earned in a single go. That means they would factor the rift fragments earned in all of your attempts into the math. So for example, if you farm with survivors to get a master challenge, then you would get 5 rift fragments for the challenge and maybe one extra for the game that you played. If you didn't farm and it was a hard challenge, it might take 5-10 games. So in essence by farming you're costing yourself a level or two of the rift each time.

I'm at level 56 and while DBD is my core game, I don't play a huge amount. I've only done 2 challenges in the fourth tome. If I complete it I'd easily make it to 70 (although I don't anticipate getting there).

• Lmronby
    Lmronby Member Posts: 339

17 days? You get like 70 if you play when it comes out; I'm having no issues at all

• Lmronby
    Lmronby Member Posts: 339

17 days? You get like 70 if you play when it comes out; I'm having no issues at all

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

Yep it's ridiculous.

And those who say "uhhh it's fine I already finished it after 2 days" are just blinded die hard fans who have no life and play 12+ hrs per day.

Bhvr is so ignorant that hurts my brain.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

I totally agree with you. I didn't have much trouble completing the previous rifts (probably because I was playing nonstop) but this one has been absolutely horrible. I may not purchase the next rift unless BHVR reduces the grind (or if the cosmetics are all somehow amazing which I doubt will happen). I don't want to force myself to play the game anymore.

• Cabbage
    Cabbage Member Posts: 349

It’s not too bad, as someone who plays on a daily basis I managed to get this rift completed in about 3 weeks, well before level 3 was even released

• DaFireSquirtle
    DaFireSquirtle Member Posts: 188

Last rift I had the same issue but this rift I actually finished it after finishing the killer challenges. I understand that it's supposed to be hard but the master challenges and the normal ones are extremely grindy. I'm starting to think this rift pass thing is just a cash grab.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Because it's a battlepass. It encourages you to spend money when you cant finish it.

The archives are great. If they wouldn't be directly tied to the rift. Fun challenges that reward you. But making them reward rift xp makes people ######### and moan that they're "too hard" and they will "never finish the rift" in time.

Thats the point. It's a battlepass. They want your MONEY.

• Zender
    Zender Member Posts: 178

Rifts can DEVOUR 80+ hours (includes the time waiting for a match) and still not cap it.

I have been playing 20+ hours a week due to covid and I am at rank 52. Massive time suck.

The real reason: $$$$$$ 💰 MONEY 💰 $$$$$$

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

I completed the rift before level 4 was out. Didn't play DBD every day. Took time off to play and beat Maneater as well as during the PTB. I don't play video games every day so it didn't feel grindy for me.

My brother is tier 60 with most of level 4 left to complete. He tends to work 60 hour week so only plays for few hours at night if he's up for it and then either Saturday or Sunday. I figured if he's having no problem it must be easy.

Does seem odd that some struggle while others are able to fly through without playing every day.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

Dude why are you complaining you did the challenges and you're almost done you literally have about 14 days to get 8 tiers.

You have a little bit under double the time.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

This is why you play some extra games between levels. Each level you will earn roughly 15 tiers from the challenges AND the games needed to do those challenges. This means you need to play an extra 35-40 games to get another 3 tier to get to at least 18 per level to finish the Rift on time.

Also if you farm the challenges, that's less XP you get and therefore more games you have to play to make up for it. It's better to do them legit and play normally so you get full XP each game.

I kept playing almost every day even after completing a level and I finished the Rift with 24 days left, before the 4th level even came out.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,032

This has been my experience as well.

They have already nerfed the difficulty of the challenges so now while they originally intended for more games per challenge, we can quickly complete them. Now that we quickly complete them people don’t want to just have to play to progress.

This is why the Devs can’t win these arguments and should take in a little less feedback. The challenge and progression is fun for those who commit to doing them.

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581

That's probably it. A lot of challenges I got lucky enough to do in one match.

• Deadman316
    Deadman316 Member Posts: 578

I've done most survivor challenges in in Tome (currently working through Tome 4) and I'm only at 32. I must not be doing something right.

• USELESS
    USELESS Member Posts: 1,151

Didn't you noticed that BHVR only put the rift to make you buy the pass? They didn't even added stuff on the free pass, it's just a blank

• TreSen
    TreSen Member Posts: 186

Why do you think you've seen so many AFKers and bots lately? I wouldn't hold your breath on BHVR changing it.

If you want to fill out the rift your best options are to AFK while you're at home doing something else or to macro bot overnight if you have a setup for it.

Or do what BHVR designed the rift to incentivize you to do in the first place: buy the last few levels.

• JimPickens
    JimPickens Member Posts: 158

It's so greedy that they're probably losing money. I bought and finished the first one, i don't think ill ever do it again sadly

• TreSen
    TreSen Member Posts: 186

No you just have to be a neckbeard that does literally nothing except play DbD

• Clinton
    Clinton Member Posts: 348

I doubt it. Lots of people spend $70 to unlock everything the very first day instead of grinding.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

It is same as every other battle pass. Don't pay, you have hard time getting to max tier.

• JimPickens

Exactly, whales are going to do that regardless so what's the point?

Interesting you bring that up because although DBD has the worst battlepass i have ever seen, it also has the distinction of being the only battlepass ive seen where you DONT progress faster for buying it. There are no bonuses lol

• JimPickens

No you're completely right to think that, it makes sense it SHOULD have that but it doesn't because....they want to nickle and dime the small group of people who are willing to put in the effort to grind but won't complete it so they buy the 10-20 remaining tiers. Like that can not be making them anything but small change. I feel like most people either buy the tiers day one or grind it all out.

Urg its just frustrating especially when they're already selling the cosmetics for 10 bucks each AND paid dlc AND it's not even a free game!

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

Yeah every battle pass I've looked at gives tiers when you buy it. It might be that I hastily read the description on the pass unlocking and saw the word tiers in there that made me assume DBD was no different.