An example of what Tunneling is not.

Options
Johnny_XMan
Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
edited June 2020 in General Discussions

There have been many people wondering what 'Tunneling' means in discussions where someone else suggests that it is a (borderline) abusive technique to use, and especially with the design around Pyramid Head's CoA.

While I don't particularly want to discuss PH in this thread, I wanted to show what (for me) Tunneling isn't, and as a way to answer to all those people who say "Tunneling" doesn't exist.

I just had a match where I played Pyramid Head and where I chased/caged a Meg, looked for other people (away from the cage) and realized they probably went back to the cage since I could not find anyone. My suspicions were correct.

Since I got there just before she was completely healed. I could have aimed for her but instead I tried to aim for one of the other survivors (Ash).... Which I know almost got Meg anyway because she ran right into my PotD, which at that point it would have seemed like the most optimal thing to do for me as a killer, but I do feel that it would have been warranted since they were healing right underneath the cage.

Just to show that even though this is from Meg's camera perspective, and although it seems I did go in her direction I wasn't even paying attention to her... I was going for Ash who went in her general direction.... you can see the healthy icon become injured:

This isn't to say that everyone should play this way or not play this way. Merely to show what (In my opinion) tunneling is not because if I had only chased the Meg, and ignored the other two survivors... I probably would have taken her out of the game a lot quicker. Considering she was the best survivor out of that team (based on her chases and how many times she made me miss my PotD).

Fun fact, this was my very first match as Pyramid Head (4k'd too) and even though I don't agree with his current cage mechanic I do think this killer is Very fun to play as! I got a couple of hits through a wall where I just guessed that they were there. 🤣

Anyway, just remember to be kind and that this is just a game! <3

Comments

• dangitben
    dangitben Member Posts: 58
    Options

I mean in that moment, its the logical choice, is it not?

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
    Options
  • Johnny_XMan
    Options
  • Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522
    Options

This is what I meant in another thread when I said that almost every time someone accuses me of "Camping" or "Tunneling", it's actually a direct result of the survivors actions, not something I chose to do.

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
    edited June 2020
    Options
  • Johnny_XMan
    Options

@Bovinity

Yes, and most people in the match will see something else.

I just want to emphasize that I didn't intentionally go there. I just couldn't find anyone else and that in itself would have given them enough time to get away.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

Play how you want.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

I wasn't saying anyone said that, just reminding peeps.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,310
    edited June 2020
    Options

Well firstly, once they decide to heal under hook there is no tunneling. They could have left and chose to get greedy.

Most the community overuse "tunneling" to mean if they are the survivor that goes down twice in a row..period..regardless of anything else.

To me it isn't tunneling if you got farmed by your team with a bad save, you got greedy (healing under hook or doing objectives while refusing to heal), or you just happen to be who I run into at another place on the map coincidentally.

I consider it tunneling when you actively wait near the hook for that person to get saved and then ignore other survivor hits while going straight for that same person until they are out of the game.

• Zeon_99
    Zeon_99 Member Posts: 463
    Options

The survivors in my end game chats would like to disagree.

• Johnny_XMan
    Options

Exactly. More or less that was the point I was trying to get across.

Both survivors and killers have the wrong idea of what it means. Sometimes tunneling is circumstantial ( like you find the unhooked person after you didn't see in which direction they went) after being unhooked. Just as it is intentional when you deliberately wait by the hook and initiate a chase right off the hook and ignore everybody else.

• Reaver_Raziel
    Reaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400
    Options

I mean downing her and then following Ash would be even better split pressure, thats at least 3 survivors occupied. Ash being chased, Meg downed and one of the other 2 survivors or maybe both healing her trying to get her up. Downing her and instantly hooking her would likely be the wrong choice. Yes she is one hook of being dead but no one else is, if she is smart she would stay on the other side of the map the rest of the game (or at least for a long time) doing gens back there and not doing altruistic stuff and the killer would have very little pressure on the remaining three survivors.

Share the hooks...not necessarily among all four survivors, but if you hook say, 2 of them twice and 2 of them once or something. Their options are getting limited. Usually at this moment they have like 2-3 gens left, unless you been very unlucky or getting outplayed heavily. If there is only 1 or even 0 gens left then you should have probably focused on fewer survivors or chosen better targets.

At least thats how I usually play killer.

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383
    Options

Not gonna lie, if there are two gens done and nobody dead, I will absolutely secure a kill regardless if people want to call it tunneling or not. I'm a killer...I must kill. Maybe running into the sharp part of my weapon with your face wasn't the optimal play, but it happened, que up for another game and hope for the best.

• mentalpopcorn
    mentalpopcorn Member Posts: 181
    Options

I camp when I know 2+ are trying to unhook the survivor. Telling someone not to camp in this situation is like me, the killer, telling a survivor to not repair generators.

Face camping without knowledge of anyone being even close (especially in the case of gen rushing) is both disrespectful to the hooked player and a way to lose the game quicker. But camping in general is a legitimate strategy that has got me many a 4k because the survivors are unwilling to give someone up.

If those same survivors went an gen rushed while I was camping I'd change up what I'm doing to win, if the survivor gets unhooked that sucks but at least I kept pressure on the map and stopped gens from being completed. The longer you as the killer can prevent gens from being completed the better your chances of winning.

• Artemis_LH
    Artemis_LH Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2020
    Options

Consider this. The Meg already has a 'hook' ( or hook equivalent in this case) on her. If he could down another/ injure multiple survivor(s) then he has the opportunity to earn more BP. Killing a survivor ASAP nets you less BP than of you were to go after others. If said Meg is alive longer, then our killer friend here has more opportunities to earn even more BP from a Meg he has already proven he is more than capable of taking down (more likely to win another chase with her with less pallets on the map anyways [ let's be honest, survivors LOVE to slam down pallets]).

It's GOOD if multiple survivors want to go in for the save/heal, take the opportunity to go bust some gens. Regress their progress and maybe even (usually, in my experience) find another survivor along the way.

Continue to apply pressure on the map/gens and the team will eventually become exhausted (no, not the status effect exhaustion) with each of them having had been hooked multiple times. Many people may not realize this, but many survivors tend to become noticably sloppier when they are nervous about their last hook.

The BP payout is worth the extra work.

I've usually been able to bag 50K+ BP, even if a survivor escapes. The entity rewards you more when you make the survivors suffer for as long as possible vs just killing everybody ASAP.

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,181
    Options

Good definition. If the unhooked survivors start doing any actions like repairing and healing, it's not tunneling if i down him again.

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656
    Options

Agreed.

I appreciate the fact that even though they were healing at the cage, you didn't tunnel the Meg. It's really nice to hear someone not only 4k by playing a good, fair match - but to do it on a new Killer to them. That's awesome. :)

• Evelyn208
    Evelyn208 Member Posts: 31
    Options

I think the problem here is proximity camping. Can't tell where you were when you put her in the cage but you must have beelined for it. The team was there but you couldn't have known that until you got there. Sure the heal compounded the issue and if they scattered 6 seconds earlier it wouldn't be so obvious.

Face camping is a huge problem in this game. Tunnelling and Proxi Camping while annoying Survivors have to deal with but put yourself in the unhooked/uncaged person's POV, they lost 1 chase and lose two (or three) hooks for it.

I am not a fan of the cage mechanic. No body blocking or sab hook chance, Borrowed Time doesn't work, DS doesn't work, basically every play Survivors have to counter camping/tunnelling are removed. So just get better at evading/looping I hear you say... Except he has a ranged attack that counters looping. PH is problematic. When Urban Evasion is a killer's best counter you have a design issue.

• Johnny_XMan
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Evelyn208

The reason I knew where they were was because I literally went to check the gens that weren't being worked on, immediately after I caged her... and found no one.

Mind you there are only 2 gens left so that meant I only had 4 to check. Still, I gave them enough time to almost completely heal her. I didn't do what I have seen many killers (PH) do on me, which is immediately go to the cage. That's the entire point of the thread.

They could have easily left the area for me to not find anyone. See where I am going with this? You can't expect killers to simply do nothing to find survivors. Part of playing killer is being able to track. If survivors are evading, as a killer I am going to go back to where I know survivors might be. Those people were playing very risky in the beginning (working on a gen right infront of me while I was in a chase with someone else etc.).

I'm trying to show this perspective, because many things could happen during a match that make either side get a different perspective of things.

Me going straight back to the cage, and focusing on the Meg completely ignoring everyone else is exactly the opposite of what I do. Sometimes it is warranted and in her case it would have been warranted because they chose to stay there and heal.

• Johnny_XMan
    Options

@LALYTHIA

Thank you!

I won't lie to you and say I play the same way every time. Sometimes tunneling is a necessary evil because the situation you are put into.

We could go into many scenarios where it is. This could have been one of them because they had no intention of playing safe. I more or less wanted to split the pressure. I don't care if survivors heal or work on a gen infront of me, because most of the time if they are bad, they sort of pay the price, ya know?

• Uindangergurl
    Uindangergurl Member Posts: 9
    Options

Great example, and it was definitely not tunneling. A nice lithmus test because a many killers would have just gone for meg. Thank you, it is players like you that will keep the game going and make it fun for 5 people each match.

• Uindangergurl
    Uindangergurl Member Posts: 9
    Options

ya definitely did not tunnel. Many thanks for keeping the game fun for the 5 involved. It is telling how many of the killers are replying that they would just went for meg. Keep being part of the solution! Thank you again

• Sinatyxmas
    Sinatyxmas Member Posts: 72
    Options

I feel like toxic survivors would want to tear every page out the book survivors are supposed to read and leave a front and back. But yeah, i believe you should go after whoever u want

• Oaky
    Oaky Member Posts: 8
    Options

Whenever I play as both survivor or killer i always say tunnelling exists but i refer to it as 2 types intentional and unintentional. I try to avoid both but sometimes people are dumb or just straight unlucky and get unintentionally tunnelled. Intentional tunnelling though is just unfair.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    Options

For me tunneling still means: Focus on 1 surv till he/she is dead.

• clem1710
    clem1710 Member Posts: 275
    Options

Who cares? Play how you want to, there's nothing bad about tunneling. Your goal is to kill.

• w_sohl
    w_sohl Member Posts: 124
    Options

Yawn, tired excuse. Survivor rule book, blah blah blah.

• GoatMaster
    GoatMaster Member Posts: 1
    Options

Logical or not, it is in my opinion that the longer the game, the more fun I have. It's not rare that I deliberately let survivors escape when they make a dumb mistake after being unhook, give them a chance. I just don't find how it's supposed to be fun to win after 5 minutes.

• Johnny_XMan
    edited June 2020
    Options

@GoatMaster

I understand exactly what you're saying.

It seems to me that providing an example of what "Tunneling" isn't which in other words no one is saying "Play this way", but Tunneling is a rampant problem with this game because of how easily accessible it is. I constantly have killers who would rather break chase with me to go for a 'tunnel off the hook', but then want to claim a skill level they clearly don't have based on the fact that they chose to abuse a mechanic that enables them to do that with little consequence.

So to me, even if your opinion is as logical as it can be, to some players winning means killing 4. To others having fun during the match and maybe getting 2-3 kills is a win. In your case, I agree with you. People complain and say "Genrushing is a big issue when matches last for 4 mins" but those same people have no problem downing and killing 4 people in that amount of time because they Camped/Tunneled etc. Think about that for a second. :)