Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How to tell if I suck? (New Player)

New killer looking to improve. How can I tell if I suck?

Not only am I new to this game, but this is also my first ever online competitive multiplayer experience. I basically just want to know if I'm doing this right. I can't hear voice chat to see if people are mocking me, and I don't have anyone to give me feedback. I've won a few games, but I can't tell if the survivors were actually trying.

Are there any telltale signs in game to where I know "ok I'm doing alright" or "I'm doing horribly and these guys are screwing with me"?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Look at their ranks. If they're red, and you're spanking them left and right, then yes. You're doing fantastic.

If you're constantly getting 0 or 1k, then you can improve.

Are you pipping?

Is your score above 16k?

In post game chat (If you're on PC), is it filled with survivor tears about tunneling/camping? I'd say that's a win.

Can you win mindgames?

A lot goes into determining whether or not you're doing well. The problem is the poor MMR system in place right now. You may get a few fair matches, you may get a ton of poorly mismatched ones. You may run into SWF time and time again who are out to bully you, or you may find a team of potatoes who sandbag each other. It's hard to say.

The real question you should ask yourself, though, is 'are you having fun?' If you are, I'd say that's a win.

• morph888
    morph888 Member Posts: 4

Hey thanks so much for your reply. That's some good advice and I'll look into it.

Also since I'm new I'll have to look into all those words and acronyms you mentioned lol

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Killing is usually brought down to 1 - 4k. Kill all four, 4k.

Pipping: Your score is counted at the end. How you do determines if you pip. Better you do, higher your score, better chance of a pip. Pips determine your rank. Five pips for each rank, so you rank up by doing well. The higher your rank, the better your score needs to be in order to attain pips during a match.

I generally think 16k score at the end of a match should be the minimum on whether you did a fair job. Shows you put in some good chases, had some downs, hit gens, broke pallets, etc. Other people think differently, so will you.

What platform are you playing on? On PC, post game lobby has a chat screen we can use.

Mindgaming is outmaneuvering survivors at a pallet or vault. A simple mindgame is to just turn around and walk backwards, or moonwalk, to hid your red stain. It may trick the survivor into backtracking, allowing you to land a hit when they're out positioned. It gets more detailed, but you learn it as you go along.

MMR, as in matchmaking. Technically, you 'should' only be placed with players 6 ranks above/below you. But the system has been busted for over eight months now. A new one is being built by the devs, but it's. . . slow. You'll find a lot of changes in this game are slow. So, you can be a rank 20 killer, and face red ranks, which are far, far above you. Shouldn't happen, but does.

SWF is Survive with Friends. It's the group portion of the game, where survivors can call in their friends to play with. Most of the time, they'll use third party voice chat, such as Discord. to communicate with each other. It's a huge advantage, something I myself detest. But you'll have to learn to live with it.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

When I play killer, I measure success by how many kills I get. 0-1 is a loss, 2 is a tie, 3-4 is a win. Others may consider pipping to be the goal. Others still may consider getting points to be the goal. You need to figure out what you're going for first, and then you can tell if you suck depending on whether or not you achieved that goal.

• morph888
    morph888 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2020

Thank you both. I'm actually surprised I got intelligent, supportive responses from you guys. Knowing the internet I figured I might just get a bunch of "you know u suck when you lose - git gud". I'll take all this into consideration and leave this forum open for anyone else who ever wants to know how to tell if they suck. Thanks to you both as well as anyone else who may comment here with more input.

Also Rivyn, I unfortunately play on PS4. :/

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

You suck if you don't play by my rulebook and let me escape or kill you.

• EarthToGravity
    EarthToGravity Member Posts: 96

If survivors get 2+ gens done before you see any of them, that means you aren't applying enough pressure. Check on the gens constantly.

Since you're new, I recommend trying out The Hillbilly or The Wraith, but if you don't like either that's okay! Try out all of the Killers to find the right one for you. The Huntress is good if you like the idea of throwing stuff to hit survivors.

Something you wanna make sure not to do is facecamp. Once a survivor is on the hook, don't just stare at them until they die. This is how you lose. If you do this, the survivors can get 3-4 gens done and you'll end the game with only one kill.

Also, don't hesitate to quit chasing a slippery survivor! You hurt your chances of winning if you do this. Sometimes a survivor will purposely keep a chase going longer than it should to give their team more time to do gens. Only do this if you think a chase is going on too long. Also, don't just chase a survivor, try to predict where they will be and get your hits in like that (VERY IMPORTANT AS HUNTRESS).

Good luck and I hope the community is nice to you! We have a lot of toxic players in this game!

• EarthToGravity

If survivors get 2+ gens done before you see any of them, that means you aren't applying enough pressure. Check on the gens constantly.

Since you're new, I recommend trying out The Hillbilly or The Wraith, but if you don't like either that's okay! Try out all of the Killers to find the right one for you. The Huntress is good if you like the idea of throwing stuff to hit survivors.

Something you wanna make sure not to do is facecamp. Once a survivor is on the hook, don't just stare at them until they die. This is how you lose. If you do this, the survivors can get 3-4 gens done and you'll end the game with only one kill.

Also, don't hesitate to quit chasing a slippery survivor! You hurt your chances of winning if you do this. Sometimes a survivor will purposely keep a chase going longer than it should to give their team more time to do gens. Only do this if you think a chase is going on too long. Also, don't just chase a survivor, try to predict where they will be and get your hits in like that (VERY IMPORTANT AS HUNTRESS).

Good luck and I hope the community is nice to you! We have a lot of toxic players in this game!

• EarthToGravity