Hatch solution suggestion: JUMP

To avoid a camping killer at the hatch and for some other reasons in the game I have the following idea.

Additionally to the gestures, survivors should be able to jump (just jumping in the air and landing on the same spot).
This jump action (if you want it also can be a perk) increases the field of view in the way, that the camera "jumps" as well, so you can see over obstacles as the killer can see you jumping.
It should have the same animation as the jump you use for taking the hatch. Thus, the killer may think that you are taking the hatch, but instead you are just using a gesture as the survivor, making it possible to avoid a hatch camping killer.

It would be very nice to hear your ideas and maybe a statement from the devs in the future :)

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Why is a Survivor camping the hatch not an issue for you?

• SadCyclops
    SadCyclops Member Posts: 118

because the hatch was made for survivors for the reason it is too damn hard for them to do the gens, when being solo. A last survivor who found the hatch deserves the escape in my opinion, in most cases.
    Maybe, as a balance the killer could see the aura of the hatch when in the terror radius or sth, but i would not need that at the killer.

• DarkThomy
    DarkThomy Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2018

I believe there are simpler solutions to any hatch problem, depending if you want it bias toward killers or survivors.

• _Jesus_
    _Jesus_ Member Posts: 3

I love how you are seeing this as one point view. This idea is not balanced, because the survivor always has an advantage because even if the killer hits you, you can still escape. Adding another advantage to the SURVIVORS is not going to do anything except satisfy your needs as a survivor main.

• SadCyclops

i was thinking of this idea because the hatch was made for survivors, having no chance without it to escape and based on what it is, an advantage for a game of 1 survivor against 1 killer, i think the survivor should have an advantage like that.
    i also get, that you may want to have a solution for both sides, but imo it is much more frustrating for a survivor against a hatch camping killer than for a killer playing against 1 left survivor.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Mr_Myers
    Mr_Myers Member Posts: 422

They could jst bring back the closing mechanic with the exit gates, I liked that idea

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    TheLegendDyl4n1 Member Posts: 1,493

@Mr_Myers said:
    They could jst bring back the closing mechanic with the exit gates, I liked that idea

of course YOU did. they didnt add it i think because if they do i will just hide until you ragequit since eventually if you do find me, unless your a rank 1 god i usually can lose the killer and heal with self care. i will rinse and repeat until you get angered enough that you just leave

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187
    To avoid a standoff simply jump in the hatch
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@SadCyclops said:
    To avoid a camping killer at the hatch and for some other reasons in the game I have the following idea.

Additionally to the gestures, survivors should be able to jump (just jumping in the air and landing on the same spot).
    This jump action (if you want it also can be a perk) increases the field of view in the way, that the camera "jumps" as well, so you can see over obstacles as the killer can see you jumping.
    It should have the same animation as the jump you use for taking the hatch. Thus, the killer may think that you are taking the hatch, but instead you are just using a gesture as the survivor, making it possible to avoid a hatch camping killer.

It would be very nice to hear your ideas and maybe a statement from the devs in the future :)

How can we avoid survivor camping of the hatch?

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

If the killer is camping the hatch, just do a gen from which you have view of the killer. If for any reason if comes to the gen you will have plenty of time to reach the hatch before him (if you play smart, that is)

• SadCyclops

...> @DeadByFlashlight said:

@SadCyclops said:

a survivor camping the hatch makes no sense, because they can escape through it ...

• SadCyclops

@White_Owl said:
    If the killer is camping the hatch, just do a gen from which you have view of the killer. If for any reason if comes to the gen you will have plenty of time to reach the hatch before him (if you play smart, that is)

not rly, if you do a gen he will get noticed and you still have to open the gate, so the killer has got many chances to catch you and cut you off as he knows exactly your position ... and as the killer is faster than the survs and doesnt need to hide he reaches the hatch at first in most cases in my experience

• TheDarkLycan
    TheDarkLycan Member Posts: 435

why not just jump in the hatch and if they grab you out, just go on to the next game instead of making it such a big deal.

• grtf47
    grtf47 Member Posts: 371
    @TheDarkLycan if you spend a long time in one game, and become the last survivor alive why would you just jump in after spending all that time? I wouldn’t. 
  • Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

I think the gen repair bonus from Left Behind should be part of the base Survivor kit, and the Left Behind perk should be reworked to do something else.

• SadCyclops

@Nos37 said:
    I think the gen repair bonus from Left Behind should be part of the base Survivor kit, and the Left Behind perk should be reworked to do something else.

Nice idea, but it would make the game more complicated as it is hard to track down the bonus you get imo.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

@DeadByFlashlight said:

@SadCyclops said:

Make it so that survivors lose objective points when they hang around the hatch for a period of rime when the killer isn’t nearby. Make it the same effect they are gonna apply to the hooks to stop killer from camping hooks.

• SadCyclops

@xmenfanatic said:

@DeadByFlashlight said:

@SadCyclops said:

Make it so that survivors lose objective points when they hang around the hatch for a period of rime when the killer isn’t nearby. Make it the same effect they are gonna apply to the hooks to stop killer from camping hooks.

what? im not talking about a survivor camping the hatch and waiting to be the last survivor (which is also a - imo smaller - problem) but about a killer, finding the hatch before the last survivor does.
    and ofc waiting for the survivor to come to the hatch, bc, tbh, a survivor cant make like 3 gens on his own and still open the gate.

• xmenfanatic

@SadCyclops said:

@xmenfanatic said:

@DeadByFlashlight said:

@SadCyclops said:

what? im not talking about a survivor camping the hatch and waiting to be the last survivor (which is also a - imo smaller - problem) but about a killer, finding the hatch before the last survivor does.
    and ofc waiting for the survivor to come to the hatch, bc, tbh, a survivor cant make like 3 gens on his own and still open the gate.

I've done that more then once. A survivor is very much so capable of achieving a victory while in that perdicament. It just takes time learning how to do it. Avoiding the killer and building up multiple generators. For each one you complete it gets more challenging sure, but no different then a 1 vs killer where you have 2 gens left, or 1 generator left.

Keep in mind the killer also needs to patrol the gens, or you're going to finish them off while they camp that hatch. And if they end up coming after you/leaving the hatch, then you have time to run to another gen or go for the hatch itself. It's definitely possible to do.

And lets say you die. You still built up survival points and escape points for avoiding them, and you'll get more blood points from a chase as well. Sometimes the funnest games are the ones where you are at a huge disadvantage because you pull off these crazy games where you made it.

• SadCyclops

well, i only managed to escape once through the gate as last survivor, needing to repair gens. it is too hard imo and camping the hatch as killer is just easy af. You also see the aura of the gen completed, if a survivor does it and there are also only 2 gates ...
    I think the killer is in a huge advantage and therefore my solution suggestion :)

• Entità
    Entità Member Posts: 1,583
    Xmenfanatic, what are you saying? One survivor against one killer could repair 2 gens, open the gate (or find the hatch while the killer searches them at the gate) and run away? So three survivors would be enough, at the beginning of the trial, to repair 5 gens, wouldn't they? And why did developers decide to put four survivors, instead? No, your idea is not balanced, really too optimistic: maybe you are a genius, but this is an exception, not the rule, non the reality. Reality is different. Survivor has to move stealthily, slowly: it's very hard to escape a chase without help, without distractions, without other people drawing the killer's attention with a close explosion or simply running unfortunately in front of the killer. Remember last survivor dies even if hooked for the first time (unreasonable and unfair, but true!): they have no second chance.

Reality is this: survivor reaches the hatch, they don't jump, the killer doesn't hit them, they indicate the killer to go away with their arm, the killer answers NO by moving their body left and right, teabag, false attack and the dancing event goes on until somebody needs going to the bathroom and let the opponent win! It lacks of decency, destroys the atmosphere of the game: a real stalemate!

The devs have to fix that ending by providing a solution.
    1) If the killer finds and closes the hatch, another one can spawn elsewhere;
    2) there can be two hatches, like two gates, opening alternatively, or closing one of them opens the other or similar mechanics;
    3) to close the hatch opens the gates;
    4) when the killer stays near the hatch more than X seconds, the Entity comes from the sky to refresh the map, putting the killer, the survivor and the hatch in new positions;
    5) when killer and survivor stay near the hatch for a long time, the game ends with the victory of the player with the worse rank (because they have been able to draw against a better opponent);
    6) when the hatch is closed, a chest with the Universal Key spawns somewhere;
    7) killer and survivor make the peace, kiss and go away through a gate hand by hand...

Killer's mission is not camping a place, but to act like a cruel predator, which sees in the night, follows traces, finds, chases and kills the pray! Secrecy is survivor's weapon, instead. And no, a survivor cannot camp anything, because they can be hit, put in dying state, caught, hooked or killed with Mori or abilities: how could a survivor force the killer to abandon the hatch, instead?
  • xmenfanatic

@Entità

I’m literally just stating it’s possible. You don’t need to be a genius to achieve this. I appreciate the compliment, if it’s meant to be one, and if it’s sarcasm, you can have a civil discourse without being rude.

I don’t see the point in you mentioning the game starts with four survivors. I never said the game should be altered to start with three. But survivors die, and you’re supposed to keep playing and try to survive even as they do die. Of course it gets harder when survivors die off, but the size of the map and the amount of generators that need to be patrolled provide enough time to escape a killer and work on gens without being caught.

I think you’re being rather ignroant by claiming that the “only reality” is a stand off. It’s all about playing a good game and outsmarting the other player. Neither side is entitled to the hatch, and if people chose to not work on generators or chose to not patrol generators then of course a stand off will happen. It’s both players fault for not doing anything different.

Are you being defensive because you haven’t achieved this yet? If you keep doing it you eventually will, I don’t think you should discredit yourself or your abilities so much. It’s not as difficult as it sounds. Sure as said before it isn’t a guaranteed win, but sometimes you do.

• Spicybarbecue
    Spicybarbecue Member Posts: 183

Simple solution: remove the hatch from the game. It rewards bad players with free escapes and also forces the killer to slug the second last person leading to poor gameplay experience for both.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    edited October 2018

So many dumb, biased opinions. Sometimes I wish we were back in time when you bought your video game on a CD and that was it, if there was anything you didn't like, well, you just had to deal with it.

Now there's demands galore towards the developers: to make the hatch go away, or make it a free escape for any survivor too dumb to do generators instead of facing the killer at hatch.

• xmenfanatic

They created a perk specifically for if you fall into this circumstance called Left Behind. Gens take i believe 80 seconds without a boost. Left behind causes the next three gens to take 45/53/64 seconds.

Accumulating those seconds, it takes 162 seconds, or cuts the time of 3 gens down to the time it takes to complete 2 gens.

These perks exist to help you in different circumstances, and not guarantee a win.

If you have Resilience can boost it by another 3-9%, turning the completion time to 41/48/59. That saves you another 14 seconds. That saves you 92 seconds of generator work, if by yourself with three gens left to do, taking a total of 148 seconds, or 2 minutes and 28 seconds.

Pair this with Deja Vu, and you’ll be bake to map out how to leave the generators that are furthest from each other. That will maximize the killers travel time around the map.

Fourth I’d suggest either urban evasion or lightweight so you can move around the map easier without being detected.

Left Behind
    Resilience
    Deja Vu
    Urban Evasion

There are lots of perks that play with different gaming styles, if you’re concerned about not doing well in a certain circumstance, it doesn’t hurt to spec for it if you find yourself dealing with it regularly.

If you don’t have these these perks, you can always run up to the killer and trick them into hitting you and then jumping into the hatch as they recover from the swing. Unless they specifically have Unrelenting Equiped at level 3, they hitting you first will make it so you can escape most times. If injured, search chests to find a medkit. There are options.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

I'd just prefer it if they let killers close the hatch.

• Entità
    Xmenfanatic, I'm not sarcastic nor defensive about achieving or nor this goal: I'm just speaking freely and sincerely.

Your point is that it could be done; my point is that is not done, in fact. In my at least 300-game experience, every time a survivor was the last, they looked for the hatch, and when they noticed the killer over that, it happened exactly what I described, as they have written a secret agreement to act always in the same way. Only when the killer was far and a gen half done, i saw somebody working on it. Right? Wrong? That's what happens a lot of times.

You say it's realistic a sole survivor does 2 gens, opens a gate and runs away: if 1 man could do 2 gen, 3 people would be enough to repair 5 gens at the beginning of the trial, wouldn't they? So why did the developers decide to build a 4 vs 1 game? Think about it, it's mathematics, not my egoistic judgment.

Your list of perks is built deliberately, as if a player could know in advance they will be the last survivor and prepare the appropriate countermeasures. And they could not be enough: think about the Wraith, the Spirit, the Nurse, the Nightmare, the Hillbilly, for example: they can patrol 4 gens very quickly, while you have to move slowly and stealthily, and every time they see a piston moving, a kick and the show can go on forever. I love stealth mode, but it doesn't function, specially in maps with great visibility. And I'm not mentioning the killer's perks to read the Auras or receive notifications from the crows or the gens themselves...

The hatch is not a decoration... My solutions are not for survivors and against the killer: all my ideas (except automatic victory and the final joke) force both players to move, and the killer can find and chase and kill the opponent, and I would more appreciate it than a stalemate. Anxiety, fear, tension... the Dark Side they are!
  • SadCyclops

im totally with entita,
    the hatch in most cases is a standoff where the survivor has the bad cards and equipping for the seldom case that you have that standoff with a killer, wasting your perks in most cases, doesnt make sense to me.
    But i like that so many people have different experiences with that case and come up with good ideas :)

• Apackawolves
    Apackawolves Member Posts: 65

Just give killers the ability to close the hatch, and cause it to immediately respawn in another location. I think this would be the most fair solution. Because it would favor whoever finds the hatch first. And, it would be an easy fix in terms of logistics, and actual game implementation.

• Entità
    Yes, it's the most simple solution: closed the hatch, a new hatch spawns somewhere: the killer gets points, but the ending game is adventurous and fair for both parties.