Am I the only one that doesn't see the value in Whispers?

Options
Jasuo
Jasuo Member Posts: 54
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

This perk is so ######### weird to me. People claim it's insane at finding people and providing info, and popular streamers tend to gravitate towards it as well.

However when I use it it feels like it doesn't really help me find people. I walk toward an area, it lights up, and then I patrol the ENTIRE ######### place without finding anybody, so I start walking to a different area and it stays lit up the entire time. It feels like I'm trying to find my way around in the dark.

Do I just suck at utilizing this perk? Or is it overrated for what it is?

Comments

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

well it's not as easy as use perk and profit...

Whispers gives an auditory notification to point you in the right direction... but survivors have gotten used to it and Spine Chill does the same thing (generally speaking of course... Whispers lets you know that survivors are in the area but Spine Chill lets you know if the killer is looking at you within an area)

I tend to use it on Doc to let me know that I'm in the right area

I combine Whispers and Infectious Fright on Legion as a back up

If the Whisper says "No" then the survivor isn't in front of you "Yes" means that there's a survivor in the direction you are facing (but again the survivor may be on the move already so it's far from accurate)

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Options

Agreed; knowing if someone might be watching you set a Trap can be very helpful.

• Jasuo
    Options

I'll give it a watch, thanks for the insight.

Thanks to everybody posting tips as well, I'll take them into account while using it. So far it feels really hard to use efficiently

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

It really depends on the killer. I like to use it on my Pig, paired up with M&A. Since M&A shrinks her TR to 16m, and Whispers is almost twice that, I can save a lot of time running around, crouching only when it lights up.

On most killers, though, I find it a waste of a spot. I suppose it could work on Huntress, though.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

Whispers isnt based off whats infront of you or which direction your facing.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I personally don't like it, and I think a lot of the people that find it useful have just used it for so long that they're used to the information it gives so consider it more useful than it already is.

We have an array of perks nowadays that give much more precise and useful information with auras, gen highlights and everything else under the sun.

I'd take Discordance over Whipsers any day of the week.

• Jasuo
    Options

Yeah, I've been wanting to run Discordance on pyramid head but I need to actually unlock the perk first lol, I've heard it's really good on him though

• PureHostility
    PureHostility Member Posts: 708
    edited July 2020
    Options

I think you are typing from the past. Pig has 32 meter TR for ages. M&a powers it to 24 meters, not 16.

Funny, as Discordance can be easily countered by doing gens in a faster, more efficient way, which is solo. It is still a great perk and I personally use disco over Whispers, but Whispers is actually superior tracking perk. Disco is more of an emergency alert that either tells you where 2+ survivors are right now and adjust accordingly. As I said, disco can never go into a play if survivors wont group up on gens, which is quite rare (mostly due to bonus b from coop), but if they split pressure you and hide well, Whispers is much superior.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

The best part about Whispers is you'll always find the last Survivor. Great if you wanna secure the 4K.

Otherwise I think it's outclassed by other tracking perks nowadays.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

@PureHostility It's 32? . . . I've been under the assumption it's 24 for all this time. . . man, I'm out of date. Thanks for clearing that up

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Options

It's only really good at the start of the game, but when you start hooking people it's useless.

• PureHostility
    PureHostility Member Posts: 708
    Options

Not true. It is good at the start, Yes.

But it is also great as less survivors are in the game also allowing you to more easily patrol gens on bigger maps especially if your killer has weak map presence or is weak at finding hiding survivors.

• AbsolutelyAmel
    AbsolutelyAmel Member Posts: 146
    Options

Whispers is like spinechill bu slightly worse

• SpookyStabby
    SpookyStabby Member Posts: 621
    Options

There's a lot of awesome advice above so I'll just add my own unique bits; I feel that while it's gotten a bit countered by Spine Chill, it still has that edge over it in that Spine Chill is just a visual que and a distracted or frantic Survivor can easily be misled by it while Whispers gives what someone said is essentially a Survivor Terror Radius to us. In my experience, Killers that are Undetectable can use this best since it cloaks our auditory/visual giveaway.(I've literally just crouched as GF and Pig and obvious Spine Chill Survivors have sometimes gotten paranoid about which direction I was coming from and walked right into me)

Second, definitely learn the range of sounds The Entity makes because that clues you in for sure and playing with minimal noise around you/headphones helps

Finally, if you're not a stealth Killer experiment with psyching them out in the lead up to a find & chase. I know they'll hear me coming once they're in my 32 meter range and they can tell how close I am but, they might not know the obstacles between us or which Killer/Power I have, plus with Spine Chill it lights up when I'm looking directly at them, I've learned to take quick glances away so they think I've changed direction for a second. Throw on the random smacking of a surface and it does a decent job of startling them into a run, which just gives you marks to follow and the rest is easy. It's all about overloading them with warning stimuli.

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318
    Options

I see a lot of peoples points and you make good cases for it but I prefer running Spies from the Shadows over Whispers. If they disturb a crow I have a much better chance of quickly finding them then having to rely on figuring it out through whispers.

But I do think some killers benefit way more from it like @Rivyn has suggested, like Hag benefits greatly from STBFL more than most killers do.

• iplaybothsides
    iplaybothsides Member Posts: 33
    Options

Helps save a lot of time early and late game, plus let's you check gens without walking all the way to them. Discordance can do the same thing early game if survivors team gens, but mid game it's really good for patrolling. Plus if there's only one survivor left it let's you patrol doors insanely well.

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294
    Options

The key to using Whispers is finding the spot where the perk just lights up. Then you know that there is a survivor exactly 32 meters away from you which often is enough to give you an idea where exactly that survivor is.

It is a useful perk in some situations but not mid chase. However BBQ is usually enough for finding survivors and with its added ponus points it is a better perk.

• FootMan2893
    FootMan2893 Member Posts: 333
    Options

Play doctor. Whispers is such a damn good perk because it basically tells you when to use your static blast as they share the same range. Walk around and wait till whispers pops, use static blast, find survivor, chase and down survivor, rinse and repeat.

• yusdacra
    yusdacra Member Posts: 56
    Options

i can't use whispers so i dont want to waste a perk slot.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
  • RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

yea... turn up volume and listen

• SpookyStabby
    SpookyStabby Member Posts: 621
    Options

There is a slight variation in the sounds it makes. Kinda like a Hot & Cold game.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Whispers is amazing. You spend a lot less time patrolling generators at the beginning of the game because it'll let you know when you're near a survivor. And in end game it's clutch at finding survivors waiting at the exit gates. Mid-match it's not particularly great except on certain killers (It makes Doctor almost never waste his power), but at the beginning and end it can be very helpful.

• maldoror
    maldoror Member Posts: 2
    Options

Say you are going to a generator in the corner of the map, and you are unsure if survivors are hiding nearby in that corner. Whispers will tell you that you don't need to check the hiding spots, and you can move on to the next gen faster. So you do this a couple of times and your clear speed gets faster. Combine this with Michael Myer's speed boost and you can start patrolling the map quickly and efficiently.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209
    Options

Well it’s main purpose is after you have one survivor left close hatch and don’t know which gate they are at whichever it lights up on you sit there if it darkens start going to the next gate also helps on killers like spirit and oni to know which direction to speed off to

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

You have to use your brain while running Whispers. It's a good killer perk if you know how to use it.

• Suiv
    Suiv Member Posts: 35
    Options

It's not that they are in front of you. It is that they are 32 meters away from you can be to the side of you, in front of you, or behind you.

• UnbeatableAsh
    UnbeatableAsh Member Posts: 101
    Options

Honestly imo Spies does everything whispers does but better and then some. Absolutely love that perk.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

I don't really like it either but i can see why people would. You are using it wrong though. In general the moment it turns on you know the exact distance survivors are from you and that can make guessing their location easier

Most games i use it it's only usefull at the start and at the end. I find it's use in the midgame where things actually matter very little.

More of a personal thing though. It's a good perk

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Whispers is best at the beginning and end of the trial. It massively speeds up your initial patrol times since you can quickly check off gens you'd otherwise need to get closer to be sure aren't being worked on and can pinpoint where a Survivor is at the moment they cross the threshhold

And then towards the end of the game you can use it to find and finish off the last couple Survivors to secure the 4k.

In the middle of the trial it's still very useful but not as much as during the ends of the trial.

• greekfire774
    greekfire774 Member Posts: 170
    Options

Whispers is one of the best overlooked killer perks. I run it on oni and generally will intentionally 3 gen the survivors and then patrol those gens at that end with my power fully charged. I feel like that is when whispers is strongest. If youre in the right situation all those gens will be within a 5 second walk of each other and whispers will pop if you hangout near the middle one. Call it shady, I get my kills and that's what counts.

• OniKobayashi
    OniKobayashi Member Posts: 274
    Options

I only use Whispers on Doctor. So I don't waste my Static Blast trying to find people. As for any other situation, it's only really good for finding the last person.

• KnotEnthusiast
    KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464
    Options

Basically this, Whispers is amazing for telling the killer where survivors aren't. Find a gen at the start of the game that's been worked on, but you see no scratch marks? Well whispers is off so you know they're not there, move on. Also whispers is the best post-hatch-close perk in the game. Patrol exit gates until it lights up, hang out until it turns off.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

I feel like it’s a “use it always,” type of perk. Like you said if you’re good with it’s amazing but you have to really practice, since I like switching killers and perks I can’t hone my Whisper skills so I’m better with discordance people surveillance really even Spies

• The_Doctor_2005
    The_Doctor_2005 Member Posts: 13
    Options

I main doctor so it's extremely useful to know when to use static blast and then basically know the exact location of the survivors near me but in other killers it's not that great (still useful but not as much).

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

It's an amazing perk, just the fact that it helps early game and endgame it's amazing on a lot of situations like that.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989
    Options

@Jasuo Treat it like a sonar. That's all. It can make finding the last survivor much more possible, especially if they're just camped inside a locker/shack basement.

The perk comes from a time before EGC, when games could be perpetuated by the saltiest winners.

There are still plenty of small nuances in less popular perks, not to mention near-useless perks...imo the devs ought to do a full sweep with some consolidation on all perks, but first bring base kits to balance. Perks like this used to be really amazing, even for the most casual killers, because they provided information for a valid scenario.

That scenario happens rarely anymore, hence that's perks use is rarely used, too.