Passives/Synergies for every survivor

Fenril
Fenril Member Posts: 47
edited July 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Hey, guys.

I've been thinking about this for a while. Been playing as a Survivor ever since I first started on DBD (just got into killer very recently), and I really don't find the role _that OP_, even when I'm playing with friends. I mean... if we compare survivors with killers, it doesn't take too long before we can conclude that killers are very OP in the moment, due to some of their powers, add-ons, maps that favors them, moris, etc.

Well... The idea consists of adding passives/synergies for every survivor. For example... Claudette is a botanist, right? She has perks that helps her find injured allies and heal them. Why not giving her a passive that allows her to heal her team mates 10% faster, even if she's not using "Botany Knowledge".

Same logic goes for Meg. She's an athlete, right? Why not increasing her running speed to 105% instead of the basic 100%?

I feel like survivors are way too generic at the moment. Some of them have decent perks, while others are simply completely disposable. It's way easier to enjoy playing as killer than it is to enjoy playing as survivor. Plus, male survivors are always way more taller than female ones, which explains why people enjoy playing with Meg, Claudette, Jane, more than with Ace, Tapp, David...

They just feel like "inclusive avatars"... we have black survivors, we have white survivors, we have the cop, we have the "robber" (Nea), we have the talkshow hostess (and she's a bit fat too), we have the nerdy asian, etc. We don't get acquainted with the characters... with killers, is exactly the opposite. I love playing as Clown. I feel like he's my favorite, despite the fact that I love circuses. I also enjoy playing as the Doctor. His laughter is awesome, so disturbing.

What do you think, overall?

Comments

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

I still don't think it's a good idea.

1. Meta survivors - which could (and probably will) result in higher wait times.

2. Those who maxed out one survivor that their passive is useless (or just worse) will feel dissapointed now. Thus far they've been that skins.

3. The balance would be just... Bad.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,165

I think make their passive unlock when they equip their 3 teachable perks. That way you you have to choose between passive or mix/match meta perks.

• Luxoshamy
    Luxoshamy Member Posts: 31

What i like about DbD is that doesn't force you to play certain survivors. You can choose whoever you like and build him how you like. Also like Milo point out. Balance will be a nightmare and if you give a survivor a passive too strong, it will be the only survivor picked at higher ranks. And then devs would add bans or force to pick 4 different survivors. Sounds awful

• Fenril

That's why those passives would have to be just "slight improvements to each survivor most basic role". Balancing that shouldn't be that hard.

For example... "Ace" is all about luck. So, overall, his luck would be 2% above "basic luck stats", which is 4%. It's not a huge deal. This idea could also be used on the prestige system. Losing everything you have to get a blood soaked up version of your basic outfit is just outrageous.

In the end, it wouldn't create a "survivor meta", cause it's just a very small "buff" to add some extra identity to each survivor. If you do not play as Feng Ming today cause you don't like her, would you play her if she were 2, 3% quieter when repairing a gen? I really doubt so. It's not "game determinant", and as a killer, unless you're a god amongst us, you can't discern the difference between 3% louder or 3% quieter when it comes to "repairing gens". You'd check that gen either way.

• TheEntityNea
    TheEntityNea Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2020

I believe It's fine how it is, no passives for survivors since Killers also don't have passives.

Just like Milo refered above, balance would be bad.

• Fenril

Killers don't need minor passives when they have add-ons such as Iridescent Head (Huntress), Scratched Mirror (Myers), Coxcombed Clapper (Wraith), Black Incense (Plague), etc.

Some add-ons are way too OP for some killers. And it's been like that for a while. If Behavior thought those add-ons were as OP as most people think, they'd have done something about it by now. And it's not because Behavior never judged those add-ons "OP" that they really aren't.

I have a question for you. Do you find the game completely unbalanced at it's current stage?

• Milo

Again. Those are 2 examples of "bad" passives.

Your Meg one is one of the strongest ones, having Hope base would be just bonkers.

• Fenril
    edited July 2020

As I said, those things are easy to balance. If they run tests and find that 105% base movement speed is "too much", they try 3%, 2%. Let's not forget that killers have Bloodlust. So, let's say they change Meg's base movspeed to 102% and that extra 2% gives her 2 extra seconds of chase. It's not like your team mates could do much in this "two extra seconds" you bought them. Best case scenario (but really "BEEEEEEEEEST CASE"), one of your team mates gets close enough to try a flashlight save. But that is being way too optimistic and seeing every player as "pro".

• Milo

Those 2% can translate to another loop. Or more distance than usual.

And on the note of them being so small they are not noticable - then what's the point of them from the start?

(Oh and bloodlust exists for a diffrent reason)

• Fenril

The point is adding identity to each survivor. Plus, those minor passives could synergize well with some perks. I'll take Claudette as an example. With Botany Knowledge, if her passive was "heal team mates 5% faster"... would she consider bringing Botany Knowledge to the match? 33% + 5% = 38%. I would. Specially considering that people often don't heal due to Resilience, and that leads us to a perfectly destroyed endgame.

Nea's the "nimble character". Would I consider equipping Lightweight on her for an extra 1s of it's benefits? Definitely. It's not game breaking, but depending on my playstyle, it could help me a little bit.

• TheEntityNea
    TheEntityNea Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2020

Oops, I didn't mean it by saying "balance would be more broken", I edited it wrong.

I do have to agree some killers addons are op for some killers.

I'll stay by my opinion though, I believe It is fine as how it is, no passives.

• Fenril

As I said, survivors are basically "avatars". They're just "representations" of our differences as humans. We have black folk, white folk, asian folk, the "Barbie" stereotype, the "big booty lady", the "Bully" stereotype... that's all. That's definitely all. It's like survivors were created for us to "see ourselves" in them. This is just weird, honestly. I like the whole idea of perks but... it's not like the game benefit you in any way for deciding to play as Claudette with her 3 basic perks, for deciding to prestige a character. And please, don't even start with "10% more chances of receiving good itens on your bloodweb". I watch streamers a lot and I compare their bloodwebs with mines. It's virtually the same. I barely notice any difference.

• I much rather have Survivors with an active ability, than a passive.

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593

This wouldn't go the way you think it will.

If there is a survivor with bonus repair speed, that survivor is now the only one you will ever see.

If there are no survivors with repair speed, the next one is movement speed.

If there are no survivors with repair speed or movement speed, next is vault speed.

If there are no survivors with repair, movement, or vault speed, no one will care and nothing has changed.