[Maths] There are too few perk-slots for all the perks

Options
BACKSTABBER
BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809
edited September 2018 in General Discussions

We got 4 perk-slots since DBD was born. Now, with x2+ perks, we still have that 4 slots.

Applying maths of equivalency, we should have around 10 perk-slots, not to mention, a set of 16 new perks will come with the next two chapters (a x3+ more perks in total since DBD was born)

The solution to this math imbalance is the logical increase of perk-slots.

I recommend an intermediate solution with a 5th perk-slot rewarded with Prestige III and a 6th with Devotion III.

Or are you willing to have 4 perk-slots with 100000 perks?

Comments

• guest602
    guest602 Member Posts: 149
    Options

@McCree I love your idea. Most of the time, when a new character is released, people don't use its perks because they're too used to their old build and feel unsafe when they don't run it. It could encourage people to try out new stuff, and I definitely could see perk categories.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

The game is intended to be balanced around 4 perk slots. Introducing more for both sides would break it, given how powerful the Survivor perks are.

• McCree
    McCree Member Posts: 294
    edited September 2018
    Options

@Orion said:
    The game is intended to be balanced around 4 perk slots. Introducing more for both sides would break it, given how powerful the Survivor perks are.

Did u not read what I suggested? It would make it better for everyone. And it's not like just the survivors would have extra perk slots.

Here's a list of the survivors perks in 3 categories... initially thought I'd make just 2 but some of them are questionable.
    If by any chance they make extra perk slots. They could easily have the perks made into 2 categories and make it so u can use just 2 of those super powerful perks at most.
    Imma try to make a Killer one as well just to see how they balance each other.

• Ashkiin
    Ashkiin Member Posts: 52
    Options
    This doesn't really make any sense. But it's funny 
  • McCree
    Options

@Ashkiin said:

What's funny?

• Orion
    Options

@McCree said:
    Did u not read what I suggested?

Are you the OP?

• McCree
    Options

@Orion said:

@McCree said:

Are you the OP?

So what if I'm not I've suggested an improvement to what the OP said. Does it not have any importance to you?

• Orion
    Options

@McCree said:

@Orion said:

@McCree said:

Are you the OP?

So what if I'm not I've suggested an improvement to what the OP said. Does it not have any importance to you?

It does, but I was addressing the OP; not you.

• Ashkiin
    Options
    McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

What's funny?

The idea that by having more perks you need more perk slots. The number of perk slots was never influenced by the availability of perks but by balance, which should be obvious imo
  • McCree
    edited September 2018
    Options

@Ashkiin said:
    McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

What's funny?

The idea that by having more perks you need more perk slots. The number of perk slots was never influenced by the availability of perks but by balance, which should be obvious imo

The idea was also suggested mainly because by having more perks to play with and more perks you could build way more builds. And I came with the suggestion to add a limit so you wouldn't be able to make SUPER OP builds.
    This is the killer one.

• McCree
    edited September 2018
    Options

@WhateverIGuess said:

@McCree said:

@Orion said:

Did u not read what I suggested? It would make it better for everyone. And it's not like just the survivors would have extra perk slots.

Here's a list of the survivors perks in 3 categories... initially thought I'd make just 2 but some of them are questionable.
    If by any chance they make extra perk slots. They could easily have the perks made into 2 categories and make it so u can use just 2 of those super powerful perks at most.

WHAT? How is Lithe, DH, SC, BL, IW and Sabo categorized as crutch perks? Is running a crutch perk too?

By cruch in that situation I meant powerful xD.

• McCree
    Options

@WhateverIGuess said:

@McCree said:

@WhateverIGuess said:

@McCree said:

@Orion said:

WHAT? How is Lithe, DH, SC, BL, IW and Sabo categorized as crutch perks? Is running a crutch perk too?

By cruch in that situation I meant powerful xD.

Okay, sorry I got a little bit triggered over that, because if someone claims those perks are OP crutches... HHHHH

Yeah no I just went with the idea that if we were to have 5-6 perk slots as the OP suggested... Having the ability to use IW Decisive SB SC and 1-2 other perks was already way too much. This way you'd be limited to something like SB+SC +other 3-4 perks from the right side. Same for killers. Also if wondering why I put Thanatophobia at powerful perks... basically because having 5-6 perks would allow for way too much generator delaying and stuff so it had to be limited too.

• Ashkiin
    edited September 2018
    Options
    McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:
    McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

What's funny?

The idea was also suggested mainly because by having more perks to play with and more perks you could build way more builds. And I came with the suggestion to add a limit so you wouldn't be able to make SUPER OP builds.
    This is the killer one.

That would be the most reasonable way to do it but you'd need a separation related to what they affect, not just strong vs weak.

Regardless it would need perk changes and a category implementation which would be a nightmare to balance. Given it's already pretty hard to do it at all I'd say just leave it alone
  • Jonathanskilz
    Jonathanskilz Member Posts: 403
    Options

nice meme

• BACKSTABBER
    edited September 2018
    Options

It could encourage people to try out new stuff, and I definitely could see perk categories.

This. Some perks may keep forever unused or very rarely, so:

Why to invent 200 new perks when people is going to use just the old OP perks anyways? Some players do not use perks considered OP like DS (btw to be nerfed soonTM), like Truetalent

I don't have enough with 4 slots to make new builds because there are so many choices among the 60 (68 in future) perks from survivors, and 50 (58 in future) from killers, you can just choose 4? where is your head at?

I wanted to suggest a fair reward by grinding (Prestige 3, 5th slot) and hardcore grinding (Devotion 3, 6th slot), stop throwing misleading comments about OP perks and unbalance, that is not the issue

• Orion
    Options

If you want to incentivize people to use different perks, it's easier to just nerf the OP ones and buff the weak ones.

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@Orion said:
    If you want to incentivize people to use different perks, it's easier to just nerf the OP ones and buff the weak ones.

I dunno which mod removed my last post but, whatever...

• Orion
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Orion said:

I dunno which mod removed my last post but, whatever...

You probably edited it too much, which triggered the spam filter. I intended to reply to it in full, but could only remember the bit about incentivizing different builds.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    Options

@Ashkiin said:
    McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

What's funny?

This is the killer one.

That would be the most reasonable way to do it but you'd need a separation related to what they affect, not just strong vs weak.

Regardless it would need perk changes and a category implementation which would be a nightmare to balance. Given it's already pretty hard to do it at all I'd say just leave it alone

And here we have exactly the problem of categorising Perks, people are too biased to do that.

You put Thanatophobia as a crutch Perk for Killers. You yourself said that Crutch Perks means that it is a powerful one. Thanatophobia is by no means a powerful Perk. In the best scenario (for Killers) of 4 injured Survivors for the duration of a gen repair (which basically never happens) it only adds about 10 seconds to a solo-repaired Generator. That is NOT strong. A failed Skill Check has almost the same effect as it regresses Gens 10 % (8 seconds solo-repair).

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

not to mention, a set of 16 new perks will come with the next two chapters

I understand this is a troll post but can we not pretend 6 + 6 is 16. Can’t even troll
    properly 😂
  • Ashkiin
    Options
    @DocOctober to be fair I didn't even read the perks, just switched crutch for strong
  • McCree
    edited September 2018
    Options

@DocOctober said:

@Ashkiin said:
    McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

What's funny?

This is the killer one.

And here we have exactly the problem of categorising Perks, people are too biased to do that.

You put Thanatophobia as a crutch Perk for Killers. You yourself said that Crutch Perks means that it is a powerful one. Thanatophobia is by no means a powerful Perk. In the best scenario (for Killers) of 4 injured Survivors for the duration of a gen repair (which basically never happens) it only adds about 10 seconds to a solo-repaired Generator. That is NOT strong. A failed Skill Check has almost the same effect as it regresses Gens 10 % (8 seconds solo-repair).

I gave a reasoning to why I put that perk there. It's for limiting how many u can use of the gen stopping perks. You can't use ALL of them.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

So you don''t see a problem with doctor running distressing, sloppy butcher, nurse's, coulrophobia and ruin with some addons that cause exhaustion?

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    Options

@McCree said:

@DocOctober said:

@Ashkiin said:
    McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

What's funny?

This is the killer one.

I gave a reasoning to why I put that perk there. It's for limiting how many u can use of the gen stopping perks. You can't use ALL of them.

That doesn't matter at all. It's not a strong Perk, there is no reason to limit it.

• preetygoodforumsofar
    Options

how about adrenaline + DS + SC + DH/SB/Lithe + unbreakable + iron will

• McCree
    Options

@DocOctober said:

@McCree said:

@DocOctober said:

@Ashkiin said:
    McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

McCree said:

@Ashkiin said:

What's funny?

This is the killer one.

That doesn't matter at all. It's not a strong Perk, there is no reason to limit it.

I'm not limiting it in any way. I'm limiting the amount of gen stopping perks u can use. Dying Light Ruin And Thanatophobia... u can use just 2 of those. Then outside of those u could use Overcharge, Pop Goes the Weasel and Hex: Huntress Lullaby.

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735
    Options

Why is Iron Will and Balance Landing a crutch perk? BL can be so useless on few maps and Iron Will isn't strong like Adrenalin or Selfcare. :thinking:

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,412
    Options

You've got four perk slots so you can only buff yourself up so much and you can't be a jack of all trades. Too many perk slots just means that all builds are going to start feeling the same. I've already got a fully decked out stealth build with only four slots. If you gave me another, I don't know what I'd add. Maybe sprint burst? Maybe self care? Bond? But then I'm not using a stealth build, I'm using a stealth-it'sokayifIgetcaughtbecauseI'lljustsprintoutofhereandusemychaseperksinstead-build.

I've always thought it would be neat if rather than a hard limit of four slots, it all worked on a point based system though. So say you have a 100 point limit for your perks, each perk has its own power rating depending on how powerful the perk is. Then you could either pick a few really good perks (maybe even only ending up with three perks) or roll with some weaker perks and have a more well rounded build. That way you don't need to worry about strict balancing because weaker perks would still have a place as filler perks to fill out your build, and stronger perks could remain as strong game changers since they couldn't be used with other super powerful perks.

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

we have 60 surv perks and 50 killer's, and you have to choose 4, we will have 66 and 56 in the final chapters, still have to choose 4 and 90% of people will chose the same OP perks... really?? self-healing DS etc

having 6 perks would "encourage people to try out new stuff", otherwise most of perks would remaing unused

its about time to reward prestige III and devotion III with a 5th and 6th perk respectively

4 slots is not enough for the 60/50 perks to choose from... currently we have almost x3 perks than when DBD was born... its a matter of equivalency, if you say people can construct too OP builds, killers can too, althought that is not the point

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770
    Options

It is supposed to be like that the point of perks is to change the game for your favor and make you think about what to get.

• BACKSTABBER
    edited September 2018
    Options

@Global said:
    It is supposed to be like that the point of perks is to change the game for your favor and make you think about what to get.

is the same to cook a 4-ingredients-pizza from 20 ingredients to choose from 60?

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Global said:

is the same to cook a 4-ingredients-pizza from 20 ingredients to choose from 60?

wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. now if you bring pizza into the equation we got a whole differetn story

• slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943
    Options

@McCree said:

@Orion said:

Lol dude I laughed so hard! Excellent point 👍 I think they will soon expect us to start with broken legs! 🤭😂🤣
  • davidps4DBD
    davidps4DBD Member Posts: 79
    Options
    4 perks is balanced. Adding a fifth and 6th perk slot would change the balance of the game in so many ways.

an example is hex totems. With the release of the spirit, you can have 5 hex totems. Add an extra perk slot and then you have 6 hex totems. Not a big deal until you realize one of those is Thrill and it would give additional bp based on the extra totem potentially throwing off multiple maths as well as totem placement
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

I can't get behind your reasoning: Your point is that the amount of slots should increase because the amount of Perks increases.
    It'll be terribly balanced that way, i MUCH prefer 4 slots and 100.000 Perks.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    Options

Cool idea, and nice mathematics, but unfortunately no.

Mentioned before, the games balance revolves around 0-4 perk slots. An exceeding that limit would feel like a huge break to the game and would end up being reversed anyway.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

@Dudddd said:
    McCree said:

@Orion said:

Since when is Iron Will a “crutch” perk?? Crutch is a made up phrase salty individuals in this game come up with when they’re in a dilemma that doesn’t favor them . just git gud instead of pointing at people because they play a certain way.

It says clutch, not crutch.
    There's a difference.

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245
    Options

The number of perks we are allowed to use in any given trial is limited to four because those are the constraints the devs chose to work with for balancing the game. If they made more perks available to use per trial, they would likely need to overhaul each and every perk because each one yields power in relation to the traits of all other perks, and the 4 perk slots... and add-ons, and offerings, and powers etc..

I suppose they could have already sorted more perk slots out a long time ago, and are just waiting for a DLC or big update to implement it, but in my opinion, there are too many imbalances that can be created with 5 perk slots.

• Silas
    Silas Member Posts: 307
    Options

The only perk I need
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    edited September 2018
    Options

@Silas said:
    The only perk I need

Unless it's Olive Garden's garlic breadsticks, than it's a waste of a perk slot.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Options
    Orion said:

Well, balanced it is not. Lol. 
  • Silas
    Silas Member Posts: 307
    Options

Unless it's Olive Garden's garlic breadsticks, than it's a waste of a perk slot.

I can assure you it's not a waste. Especially not in tier 3.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options
    McCree said:

@Orion said:

Hi, Jake Park main here. Let me inform you that Saboteur is most definitely not a clutch perk. Sabotaging hooks can be an effective strategy, however it is far from perfect as it actively punishes the saboteur every step of the way. First off, sabotage takes time, a lot of time. You need to thoroughly search the entire map to ensure that all hooks have been broken to 99% and you must get all of them or suffer heavy consequences. Then there's the clutches. Saboteur can be effectively used in two ways. You can sabotage hooks right as a killer tries to hook your allies, or you can mass sabotage hooks for a three minute grace period. The first scenario, the save, is potentially damning because if the killer tunnels you your team is screwed. (All of that sabotage time would have been better spent on generators)
    As for the grace period, that's simple. Each broken hook creates a notification for the killer. So once one side of the map starts exploding you can bet your shards they're gonna beeline straight for you. If you get caught before the hooks are all broken it's also very bad for your health.

All in all, it can be a decent perk, but not enough so to that it's on par with SC and DS.
  • AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options
    What I will say is that it would be nice if every single survivor didn't use self care immediately after they get away. Lemme just smash their faces once over rather than them drawing the hits then hiding.
  • BACKSTABBER
    edited September 2018
    Options

not to mention... there are too few Shrine of Secrets slots

1º) DBD was born: x4 slots

2º) Now with +x2 of perks: x8 slots (nope, just 4)

3º) End of game +x3 of perks: 12 slots (nope, just 4)

now tell me again this may break the game~

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:
    not to mention... there are too few Shrine of Secrets slots

1º) DBD was born: x4 slots

2º) Now with +x2 of perks: x8 slots (nope, just 4)

3º) End of game +x3 of perks: 12 slots (nope, just 4)

now tell me again this may break the game~

When I bought my car, it had 4 cup holders, and I had 8 cans of soda. But now I have 16 cans of soda, therefore I need 8 cup holders. Eventually I will have 32 cans of soda, so I will need 16 cup holders.