IS RUIN STILL WORTH IT ???

The_Doctor_2005
The_Doctor_2005 Member Posts: 13
edited July 2020 in Polls

So when it comes to perks to slow down the game I'm really not so sure if ruin is still a great option. It really depends on luck because it's possible that the survivors will find the totem immediately and then I'm just going with 3 perks. I've been thinking about pop but it requires you to hook someone and immediately after damage a gen which means 1. You cant use it very frequently and 2. Even when you hook someone there is a big chance you are not gonna get to a gen in time. Instead I've been really liking overcharge since not only it can be used whenever you want, but also if they fail the skill check (which is very likely to happen) 1. I know that they are there and 2. The gen gets regressed by 7%. Maybe I like it because i main doctor but still I think it's really good. Although I would really love to hear your thoughts on this 😊

IS RUIN STILL WORTH IT ??? 63 votes

Hex: ruin
15%
Seiko300OnryosTapeRentalsCrazyChicken_DKnimesulideAwkward_FiendMdawguCitrusfruitbubbabrothaderppugpyramidheadmain6233 10 votes
Pop goes the weasel
79%
White_OwlBlueberryJoelux1F60_31Allu12finmusstang62MrPenguinUistreelDr_LoomisKnotEnthusiastjasonq500mrpiesellerRin_is_my_waifujadssTreSenSebaOutbreakSapoSapotenoresaxFamicxMozmatt 50 votes
Overcharge
4%
AnimeAnoxiaThe_Doctor_2005_blzbb 3 votes

Comments

• Ancheri
    Ancheri Member Posts: 157

Really depends on killer and build.

With Pyramid Head it's a solid alternative to PGTW. On Doctor you can almost keep people hostage, if you combine it with Thrill of the Hunt and Surveillance (of course you have to be lucky with totem placement).

Hex totems being destroyed early in the game has always been an issue, especially back when Ruin was meta.

I still see people running it on high rank quite a lot, it could use a little adjustment though. The idea behind Hex totems like Devoir Hope or Lullaby is way more fancy (even though Lullaby is a little crappy in its current state), because you can strive to intensify the effect(s).

@ChozoChorizo had a cool idea for a buff in another thread called Hex Bonanza: Basically reduce gen repair speed for every totem (dull or hex) left in the trial. This would encourage both sides to care more for the secondary objective.

• Uistreel
    Uistreel Member Posts: 634
    Pop goes the weasel

Well pgtw is definitely the strongest out of those three by far, but ruin can still be used. If you get a good totem spot and/or you have toth, ruin and surveillance can be a very good combination. Don't know why you would run overcharge though, especially if you have access to the others.

• ChozoChorizo
    ChozoChorizo Member Posts: 18
    Pop goes the weasel

Hex perks slowing down the game will always be iffy, you come to expect that inconsistency with hex perks in general. It's practically their balancing factor that their effectiveness is based on how quickly they are found and able to be dealt with. Now, of course, that balancing factor could be too much for certain hexes currently, but that's essentially the defining feature that ties all hex perks together. People like saying that Ruin is bad because its totem can be found at basically any time in the match, but that isn't really the whole story: The reason I see Ruin as underwhelming currently is just that even if you find it early, it's not completely urgent to cleanse it. You can finish generators as normal until the killer starts forcing altruistic plays and you come back to a completely regressed shack gen with a basement in it and all that precious rushing progress to get that thing out of the field was all wasted. You cleanse Ruin when it is convenient or when you are in a situation where not cleansing it would waste time.

As for the poll's choice between these 3 perks, if we're going for the meta favorite, it's gonna be Pop. Just because 25% repair progress is a really substantial amount of time, and if you're playing a killer that has the mobility to take advantage you can basically kick any gen you want in the minute of time it gives you. Overcharge, on the other hand, is an interesting blend of a detection and stalling perk. On it's own, I actually like it more than Pop or Ruin. Only problem of course is I find it to be underwhelming as both a detection and stalling perk, enough so that using it isn't the best choice (as much as I do like to run it with certain builds) Perhaps I'll be making an overview of every killer perk soon, so I'll go over Overcharge (heh) when I get the time to write something for that theoretical thread.

That being said, I really do enjoy Overcharge, but if we're talking the best of these 3 for stalling, its gonna be Pop as of now.

• KnotEnthusiast
    KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464
    Pop goes the weasel

It really does depend on the killer. Certain ones that have really good map pressure, or force survivors to play safe like Billy, Nurse and Oni get huge value out of ruin, but that's until it gets cleansed. At the end of the day, Pop is just way more consistent.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    Pop goes the weasel

I've been thinking about trying pop and overcharge, since I have pop in purple though overcharge only in green on the doc ironically but just seeing what happens with it. I don't like ruin because it's easy to know if you suspect it by just stopping the gen for a sec standing against it and seeing if it immediately regresses. At that point, if killers can't be always on those gens, all they gotta do is 2 or 3 man them while they're chasing somebody or two man while a guy who knows the totem spots finds it and cleanses it. And then it wasted aperk slot. Pop is kinda tough to use often against some groups, but I still prefer it after trying both out. Overcharge+pop would possibly be a nice combo, at least on somebody like doc who already can make em scream and doesn't need to rely on perks as much as others to find people. Especially if you have distressing since he gets a massive blast radius and can build madness quickly between that and shock therapy. Then they're always screaming, slap on sloppy butcher and it takes along time to snap out of it heh ... that also keeps them off gens pretty well sometimes.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Pop goes the weasel

Hex perks are unreliable. Ruin is still good, but other game delay perks outclass it.

• SebaOutbreak
    SebaOutbreak Member Posts: 399
    Pop goes the weasel

Pop is the best one for slowing down gens. It rewards you for doing your job and the overall impact is pretty good.

Overcharge isn't nearly as good as Pop, but it's usually a very underestimated perk. People say that high rank survivors aaaalways hit the Overcharge skill check... well, in my personal experience, they still fail it most of the time. Mostly because they are not expecting said perk, or maybe because they're in a hurry to finish a gen, and they forget that you were running it. So yeah, I've seen red ranks blow gens like there's no tomorrow with Overcharge. Of course not as frequent as lower ranks, but hey, it works most of the time. Again, Pop is better, but combining these two could actually help you a lot with slowing down the game. Give it a try.

Ruin is a completely different perk now. The effect doesn't mean squat if Survivors commit to a gen, and if you're far away, you can kiss that one goodbye. Also, it's still a Hex, so it can be deactivated completely. It's not terrible, but Pop and Overcharge give better results imo.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Pop goes the weasel

I prefer Pop because it's more active and it's not an Hex, but Ruin is still very good. Overcharge is good only against low rank survivors.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    Pop goes the weasel

Pop is pretty much the best one of the 3, overcharge will fail hard past low ranks as long as people can hit skill checks.

Ruin is only good on killers that can pressure survivors off gens or waste their time with other things.

So Spirit, Nurse, Hag, Freddy, Hillbilly for pressure (no surprise there), and things like Legion and Pig for wasting time.

• Awkward_Fiend
    Awkward_Fiend Member Posts: 687

It entirely depends on your skill and what killer you're playing. Ruin can be stronger on Trapper, Hag, and high mobility killers, but Pop is much more consistent on the majority of killers.

• tenoresax
    tenoresax Member Posts: 796
    Pop goes the weasel

Pop is the overall best out of the three, works well on everybody but Ruin can still be very useful especially when used on a killer with map pressure like Billy or Wraith w/ windstorm add-ons. Combining Ruin and Surveillance is a great synergy since you get both gen slow and incredible information, atleast until the totem goes down.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2020

Ruin is absolutely without a doubt still the best option out of the three by goddamn miles and the rework it got, was much more a horizontal change rather than a full downgrade.

The pressure you can apply with Pop Goes The Weasel and Overcharge combined compared to ruin while it's up still PALES in comparison. They're good perks, don't get me wrong and their strength is in their reliability and consistency which is nothing to scoff at, but if we're talking purely their side by side effects and we're talking matches where ruin stays up a majority of or even just half the match it's simply no contest.

• ZephanUnbound
    ZephanUnbound Member Posts: 227
    Pop goes the weasel

Pop is definitely the best, especially on killers that can get around the map quickly. Ruin being a hex perk destroys it's potential, since a hex totem can be destroyed. If ruin was permanent it might be worth the slot, but right now it's not worth it unless you don't have pop unlocked yet. Even Huntress' Lullaby is more useful than Ruin usually.

• jayru
    jayru Member Posts: 64
    Pop goes the weasel

when/if they finally fix the totem placement in a few years maybe ruin wouldn't be so horrible

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

Depends on the killer.

On killers that can keep multiple survivors off gens easily (Hillbilly, Pig, Legion) it's a great perk.

On killers that struggle to keep multiple survivors off gens (Trapper) or can end chases quickly (Huntress, Hag) PGTW is better.

Overcharge is only good on meme doc builds.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    Pop goes the weasel

Ruins not good enough to be a hex currently and Overcharge is just garbage unless you're playing at a low rank, it needs a rework.

Pop is actually a great. It's also an example of a well designed perk because it's only strong if you play well, but weak if you don't.