Why Do We Run Self-Care?

Peasant
Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

Dead by Daylight was advertised and marketed as a horror game every step of the way. I find that Self-Care reduces the risk of being injured as I can heal myself should I get away. This makes the killer and the game a whole less scary as my mistakes don't mean nearly as much. So since Self-Care removes the worry, why do we use it? You paid for a horror game, don't you want to be scared?

Comments

• Peasant

@Jack11803 @Beverly While your reasons make sense in a gameplay sense the marketing seems lost. Why did you two buy Dead by Daylight in the first place? The game was intended to be a horror game but it would seem that almost nobody plays it like that now. What keeps you playing Dead by Daylight if you're not here for the scares?

• LightsOut88
    LightsOut88 Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2018
    Self care is used for more than just a means to heal yourself. Self care opens up the door to take hits for other players and be a little more risky around the killer. You are way more likely to go for a save or to to body block a killer with self care on than without. It adds more options for strategizing as a survivor and makes killers have to be committed to hooking a player not just injuring them. You also run the risk of failing a heal skill check and giving away your position to the killer so its not as risk free as it seems either. 
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@Peasant said:
    Dead by Daylight was advertised and marketed as a horror game every step of the way. I find that Self-Care reduces the risk of being injured as I can heal myself should I get away. This makes the killer and the game a whole less scary as my mistakes don't mean nearly as much. So since Self-Care removes the worry, why do we use it? You paid for a horror game, don't you want to be scared?

Look at the bullying squads, do you rlly believe they purchased a horror game?

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I don't run Self Care, nor do I want it. I'd rather avoid a chase than need a crutch like that.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Orion said:
    I don't run Self Care, nor do I want it. I'd rather avoid a chase than need a crutch like that.

I'm the same but BBQ, Whispers, Spies and some other things make it more difficult to play completely stealthy. Throw in Doctor who you still stand up and scream with Calm Spirit III (Doctor match at Rank 1 this am).

Then throw in the teammates that bring a killer to you either by accident or on purpose or the killer just magically comes to your location. (This despite the fact there's not a gen anywhere close to you and the gens are all blowing up on other side of map.

Take out Franklins Demise and killers lobby dodging the moment they see more than 1 or 2 medkits I'll stop running SC. I also tend to play mostly solo q but do play swf occasionally. But if I stop running SC then I bring something else and then some killers will complain about that.

• Dabrownman1812
    Dabrownman1812 Member Posts: 1,857
    powerbats said:

@Orion said:

I'm the same but BBQ, Whispers, Spies and some other things make it more difficult to play completely stealthy. Throw in Doctor who you still stand up and scream with Calm Spirit III (Doctor match at Rank 1 this am).

Then throw in the teammates that bring a killer to you either by accident or on purpose or the killer just magically comes to your location. (This despite the fact there's not a gen anywhere close to you and the gens are all blowing up on other side of map.

Take out Franklins Demise and killers lobby dodging the moment they see more than 1 or 2 medkits I'll stop running SC. I also tend to play mostly solo q but do play swf occasionally. But if I stop running SC then I bring something else and then some killers will complain about that.

This guy doesn't get the balancing, bbq crutch? Oh man. 
  • powerbats

@Dabrownman1812 said:

Way to completely blow off what I said and try a Straw Man there.

• Dabrownman1812
    powerbats said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:

Way to completely blow off what I said and try a Straw Man there.

Nah, it's just that so many people call them crutch. The only true crutch perk is d strike, very low risk high reward. Everything else is more on your personal feelings rather than mechanics and impact. Self care is powerful  as anything that eliminates a need for a medkit and is permanent is strong. Due to game time, gen repair time, 4v1, it isn't crutch for tracking since it is easy to be stealthy, survivors have perks and 3rd person view which gives them a mechanical advantage. Killers are at a steep mechanical disadvatage and all of the snti stealth perks can be countered, but survivors can't be fully countered. Even with nurse, survivors can be diligent due to being in 3rd person. When discussing crutches, or something op or not, the advantages it gives has to be compared in order to gauge what it is. 
  • powerbats

@Dabrownman1812 On DS I totally agree and refuse to run it, I think it's fine to use when you're just learning the game and for the Adept which is a pain to get with her. But by say rank 10ish you shouldn't be running it anymore unless you're trying to be the bait for teh killer then it's understandable.

I also don't run SB on any character unless I've got nothing better to use other than their tier I or II base perks which some are meh.

• Dabrownman1812
    powerbats said:

@Dabrownman1812 On DS I totally agree and refuse to run it, I think it's fine to use when you're just learning the game and for the Adept which is a pain to get with her. But by say rank 10ish you shouldn't be running it anymore unless you're trying to be the bait for teh killer then it's understandable.

I also don't run SB on any character unless I've got nothing better to use other than their tier I or II base perks which some are meh.

You're ok in my book guy. You're invited to the cookout
  • Orion

@powerbats said:

@Orion said:

Yeah, Calm Spirit needs to be fixed. If it's meant to counter the Doctor's power, you shouldn't stand up, period.

Whispers is having a fair change (reduced range the fewer Survivors remain on the map - at least last I heard).

Spies From The Shadows only activates 75% of the time, meaning Calm Spirit counters it perfectly. Besides, it's better to just keep an eye out for crows as Killer, and as a Survivor you can always just crouch (I swapped out Calm Spirit for Urban Evasion because of that mechanic; personally, I find it works better).

Lobby dodging will never go away completely, but it can be mitigated through balance changes. Like disconnecting, that's really the best you can hope for - minimizing the problem.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

We use it because we're used to our crutches.

• Giche
    Giche Member Posts: 753

I hate Claudette too much, i can't even think about putting bloodpoints on her.

Amazing how a video game can condition your mind.

• soshidow
    soshidow Member Posts: 104

I don't run SC personally but a good reason to run it is to avoid one of the more mild forms of trolling: 99ing a heal for the points, then leave you injured. It doesn't happen often fortunately, otherwise Self care would be a staple in my builds.

• Dabrownman1812
    soshidow said:

I don't run SC personally but a good reason to run it is to avoid one of the more mild forms of trolling: 99ing a heal for the points, then leave you injured. It doesn't happen often fortunately, otherwise Self care would be a staple in my builds.

Most people will selfcare and not let another person get points Moreso than that
  • MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

I run Self Care because I don’t like to depend on my teammates to heal me and don’t want to traverse around the map injured looking for someone to heal me when I could be productive and fix generators. It’s as simple as that.

• Spiritbx
    Spiritbx Member Posts: 264
    Because survivors dont want a horror game they want a killer bullying simulator.
  • powerbats

@Spiritbx said:
    Because survivors dont want a horror game they want a killer bullying simulator.

Because some killer mains can't resist typing insults instead of actual facts since most survivors want the killers to be more powerful.

• Orion

@powerbats said:

@Spiritbx said:

Because some killer mains can't resist typing insults instead of actual facts since most survivors want the killers to be more powerful.

Most Survivors are implicitly against that idea since they don't speak up when the vocal ones try to shut down any and all Killer buffs they can.

• powerbats

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Spiritbx said:

Most Survivors are implicitly against that idea since they don't speak up when the vocal ones try to shut down any and all Killer buffs they can.

I've been pretty vocal about it myself, but then again i'm only 1 person and if even half the survivors that don't get on social media were here the vocal minority would get drowned out pretty quickly.

The same is true for the vocal minority of killers that are just as extreme as the extreme survivors are.

• Orion
    edited September 2018

@powerbats said:

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Spiritbx said:

I've been pretty vocal about it myself, but then again i'm only 1 person and if even half the survivors that don't get on social media were here the vocal minority would get drowned out pretty quickly.

The same is true for the vocal minority of killers that are just as extreme as the extreme survivors are.

Can you blame them, when the devs have rewarded extremists for so long? They've seen it works, so they're trying it.

EDIT: I applaud your efforts, though. Most people would rather just complain about the other side instead of supporting their own.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

I think it’s fun and use it with Claudette, and sometimes with David or someone else, but typically I try and only use it with a specific build with a specific costume or I use it just with Claudette. This game is a ton of fun without the perk and I can say as a mix of killer and survivor that I almost never play with it.

I’d be okay if they removed it from the game completely and gave Claudette a different perk. It’s cool to try it with different perks with different people but I definitely feel like it’s used by everyone and it’s insane how many people refuse to play a game without it.

• Peasant

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Spiritbx said:

I thought I was speaking for killer buffs?

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    TheLegendDyl4n1 Member Posts: 1,493

@Peasant said:

if im in a SWF i dont usually run it since i can tell my friends where to heal me or they can tell me what gen they are on so they can heal me. the problem for me comes down to if i dont run it when i run solo, which is 99% of the time ususally, then i fear i wont be able to find any other teamates before the killer comes around me again and then they will find me due to my crying. this is why i started running No mither, Dead hard or sprint burst, resilience, and Were gonna live forever (when i am done getting points i will switch it for DS but now i am planning on running deliverence)

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187
    I run No Mither, Screw SC
  • Spiritbx
    Spiritbx Member Posts: 264

@Peasant said:

if im in a SWF i dont usually run it since i can tell my friends where to heal me or they can tell me what gen they are on so they can heal me. the problem for me comes down to if i dont run it when i run solo, which is 99% of the time ususally, then i fear i wont be able to find any other teamates before the killer comes around me again and then they will find me due to my crying. this is why i started running No mither, Dead hard or sprint burst, resilience, and Were gonna live forever (when i am done getting points i will switch it for DS but now i am planning on running deliverence)

Read what you said. Thats why survivors are OP with voice comms. The game wasnt that survivor sided before, but then swf with voice comms got popular. This completely broke the fine balance of a 4v1 game.  

The game isnt balanced around you always getting healed up, thats what the OP is saying in his post, that it ruins the survival horror aspect of the game.  

Not knowing if you can find someone to heal you before the killer finds you is scary and thrilling.  

AKA the power of the meta perks and SWF  is ruining the initial appeal of the game.
  • Peasant
    Spiritbx said:

@Peasant said:

Read what you said. Thats why survivors are OP with voice comms. The game wasnt that survivor sided before, but then swf with voice comms got popular. This completely broke the fine balance of a 4v1 game.  

The game isnt balanced around you always getting healed up, thats what the OP is saying in his post, that it ruins the survival horror aspect of the game.  

Not knowing if you can find someone to heal you before the killer finds you is scary and thrilling.  

AKA the power of the meta perks and SWF  is ruining the initial appeal of the game.
    This guy gets it.
  • KiraElijah
    Peasant said:
    Spiritbx said:

@Peasant said:

This guy gets it.
    He does
  • ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
    I've always felt that self healing should be nerfed and built into survivors base abilities. 25% heal speed without SC. SC could then increase that to 50/75/100% healing speed. The fact that it feels like such a necessity makes it feel like survivors only have 3 perks to use, because there's really nothing worth using in it's place
  • @TheLegendDyl4n1 said:

@Peasant said:

heeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy me!

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    edited September 2018

I never use SC. I never use Meta perks at all for that matter. Players who run meta in any game are trash.

I forget who originally said it, but SC, DS, Adreneline, Borrowed Time and Dead Hard are all crutch perks that are used to allow survivors to make more mistakes at the expense of the killer's time.

• Orion
    edited September 2018

@Peasant said:

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Spiritbx said:

I thought I was speaking for killer buffs?

I did say "most", did I not? Fact is, most Survivors are implicitly in favor of keeping Survivors as the power role by not speaking up about the problem. I rarely see support for Killer buffs from Survivor mains, but I sure do see Survivor mains trying to nerf Killers or trying to shut down discussions about Killers being underpowered.

Post edited by Orion on
  • powerbats

@TheHourMan said:
    I never use SC. I never use Meta perks at all for that matter. Players who run meta in any game are trash.

I forget who originally said it, but SC, DS, Adreneline, Borrowed Time and Dead Hard are all crutch perks that are used to allow survivors to make more mistakes at the expense of the killer's time.

So you don't run any meta perks on your killer either right?

• CoolAKn
    CoolAKn Member Posts: 677

I would only use Self Care if I have no confidence in my teammates. Quite frankly, I think it would be better to use Pharmacy to get a Med-Kit and self heal from there.

• Cass
    Cass Member Posts: 47

I stopped using SC. Because I cant outrun killers anyway. And so many killers have NC and its too damn tempting to heal up fast, with a medkit you are more aware of charges left. Healing yourself with a med kit goes much faster anyway..

Other survivors love to heal you up cos it gives them bloodpoints Should a killer have NC then at least the killer has to pick who he chases.

I now always run Iron Will so I can try to stay quiet and stealthy.

Ofcourse my tactic fails with Franklins.... which every killer has since it was on the shrine a few weeks ago :/

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052

@powerbats said:

@TheHourMan said:

So you don't run any meta perks on your killer either right?

Most of the time no, except bbq and chili for the points. My favorite killer build right now is Devour Hope, The Third Seal, Save the Best for Last and Play with Your Food. Very fun to run

• Justicar
    Justicar Member Posts: 319

Because the perk is overpowered to the point that it's nearly mandatory as a solo survivor. Not only does it give you a large number of second chances, allow hook diving against campers, and allow for more risky behavior, but it also directly counters one killer (Freddy), and directly counters a plethora of status effects.

• Mr_Jay_Stark
    Mr_Jay_Stark Member Posts: 539
    I don’t run it! Self heal takes too long (in my opinion) and I’d rather give someone else the benevolent points  :)
  • Peasant

@Mr_Jay_Stark said:
    I don’t run it! Self heal takes too long (in my opinion) and I’d rather give someone else the benevolent points  :)

We need more folks like you, lad.

• Grimzy
    Grimzy Member Posts: 219

I neer run self care, its a ncie to have but i am much more comfortable running the perks that help better than this. Plus you dont need it if you dont let the killer hit you.

• KiraElijah

Eyy man, when I use No Mither that DH is a lifesaver
  • Peasant

@KiraElijah said:
    TheHourMan said:

Yeah, people who complain about Dead Hard in a No Mither build are just entitled and/or spoiled. Look, the guy is likely to drop very quickly so an extra 5 seconds is nothing to complain about. Heck, No Mither folks get tunneled, if anything they deserve the second chances as they need them.

• KiraElijah
    Peasant said:

@KiraElijah said:
    TheHourMan said:

Yeah, people who complain about Dead Hard in a No Mither build are just entitled and/or spoiled. Look, the guy is likely to drop very quickly so an extra 5 seconds is nothing to complain about. Heck, No Mither folks get tunneled, if anything they deserve the second chances as they need them.

You’d be surprised how long a No Mither Squad can last ::chuffed:
  • Peasant
    edited September 2018

@KiraElijah said:
    Peasant said:

@KiraElijah said:

TheHourMan said:

No Mither Sabotage Squad flashbacks

• KiraElijah
    Peasant said:

@KiraElijah said:
    Peasant said:

@KiraElijah said:

TheHourMan said:

No Mither Sabotage Squad flashbacks.

Those are pure evil