Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Devour hope... a lazy perk?

monster89
monster89 Member Posts: 147

So i like to call Devour Hope the "lazy perk". All u need are 3 hooks and the game can snowball downhill real quick if not found.

2 hooks haste effect, 3 hooks exposed, 5 hooks mori

I personally hate going against a killer with Devour. It honestly feels like a cheap perk. SOMETIMES it feels like the killer doesn't have to do much.

To be clear I'm actually someone that does not hate No ed. I embrace it as a killer and a survivor, and honestly it adds another level of terror to the end of the match just like blood warden.

I hate Devour

At least with No ed we can have all match to do bones but Devour can spring up early in match and completly destroy a team.

Whats everyone's opinion on Devour? Love it or hate it? Do u use it a lot as killer? Is it too OP? Should it be changed?

Comments

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

If a killer has devour, just rescue the survivor as soon as possible. You see them booking it, you save fast. I think it's an awesome perk. And I'd rather see it in a match than NoED. At least with devour, there's the off chance we run into it before the match ends. And the killer can't just camp and get an easy win.

• RoMainPuppy
    RoMainPuppy Member Posts: 507

No that's NOED.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Please tell me you're not calling Head On a meta perk?

• monster89

So im the one that made the post. I dont use devour as killer so obviously I'm coming from a survivor side opinion. I understand totem perks are inconsistent and can be broken early in match. But im talking about when it isn't found. Its like ok 3 hooks and if you play ur cards right u can win it all. Thats all im saying but great to hear everyone's opinion

• monster89

So can at least look at devour as a "different" perk. Theres nothing like it and I guess its good to have a full spectrum of perks.

• ins0
    ins0 Member Posts: 118

"if you play ur cards right u can win"

"if you play ur cards right"

"if"

"IF" / "CAN win"

• ins0
    ins0 Member Posts: 118

I don't see where I wrote the words "meta perks" in my post..si either I didn't write them and you have a reading comprehension issue or I wrote them and can't remember or see the actual words myself. I wonder which is the case.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

Hex totems are supposed to be strong due to the fact they they can be dead less then 30 seconds into a game.

Haunted Grounds - Every is exposed for a minute. Can quickly snowball and turn around a lost match for the Killer.

Huntress Lullaby - People start missing skill checks with just 1 token. At 5 it's like you're being bombarded on.

NOED - The bane of Survivor mains

Ruin - If it stays up, survivors have an incredibly tough time doing gens if you pressure them properly.

Third Seal - Useless against SWF but against solos, will be devastating.

Devour Hope is incredibly strong compared to most of these but it also comes with the restriction that you need to be 24+ meters away. If survivors unhook before you get out of that range or if you end up getting looped in that range when the unhooks happen, you end up with no tokens gained from the unhooks. You'll have to give up pressure or certain chases if you want to get stacks and if you want to defend the totems if someone is totem hunting or they see your 3stack Devour Hope.

So it's not simply "3 hooks and snowball". Those 3 hooks have to be done far away from you. And when you get those 3 hooks, the survivors will immediately turn to destroy that totem. This is all assuming they haven't destroyed it already. You will need to lose out on pressuring any gens near the hooked person or else you won't gain your stacks. It's not a lazy perk at all.

Maybe you SHOULD use Devour as a Killer before giving such an opinion on it.

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546

If it isn't broken within the first 30 seconds, the killer was far enough away to get a stack, along with other variables? It isn't a lazy perk. In fact its probably one the most rewarding ones to use. I love playing against a Devour Hope killer to be completely honest. It ramps up the stakes without feeling like the killer just wins for free now.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

I used it abit while I was lvling up my PH and didnt have alot of perk options yet. Was kinda lucky in that I got it to hit 5 stacks 2 games in a row, but I was also just doing REALLY well both of those games b4 DH kicked in, so really...it was just a nail in the coffin. The survivors I was playing in were actually really nice about it.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

So you bring a map, small game, and/or detectives hunch to try to find and break the bones. It is a weaker perk just because of the way hexes work, and very few maps have great totem spots to begin with.

On top of that, survivors have gen speeds and second chance perks on their side. And DH forces killers to play around it to get the most from it. It requires a lot of work and the main expectation that it will be broken, and so you will work with 3 perks instead of 4.

Sure, you can think it is a lazy perk, but it requires a lot from the killer side, which is, by definition, the opposite of lazy.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

Out of 20 games:

14 games it will be cleansed before usefulness

5 games you'll get to use the one-hit-downs on a single guy, then the survivors scramble for the totem and it gets cleansed

1 game you'll get to mori

It's already barely usable, stop saltposting.

• Azeroth
    Azeroth Member Posts: 66

Man Devour is a easy counter just find 1 totem not like stupid noed which is active after last gen finished:D

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

I love using Devour Hope.. Sure, it gets destroyed early on quite often, or not long after hitting 3 stacks.. but when you get to 5, it really pays off. Heck, just getting it to 3 is quite nice because often you can a down on someone trying to take a protection hit, so you're now at 4 stacks (and heck, I've had games where I got to 5 stacks before anyone even knowing I had it because I downed them using powers instead of basic attacks, so first exposed down got mori'd as well.. or games where I had 2 people on hook at the same time that ended up giving me my 3rd and 4th stack at the same time)

It's one of those perks you bring if you're fine with playing the game with only 3 perks, but that really pays off if you can get it to work.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Brightly lit totem, usually out in the open and near spawned in survivors/gens = OMG LAZY!!!

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

I find Devour to be more of a skill perk, as it requires strategy. OP says you need hooks to get things rolling, but actually you need unhooks. This seems a minor distinction, but it makes all the difference! As a result, there’s an array of mental gymnastics required by the killer.

• After hooking, you’ve gotta get away quick, but without being obvious.
    • You’ve got to maintain your map pressure, but hold back if a chase takes you too close to the hook.
    • You’ve got to keep track of who has and hasn’t been hooked or you’ll accidentally sacrifice people. This mistake prevents an unhook opportunity and reduces the number of survivors who may be willing to give you that all important 5th unhook!
    • Depending on your killer, you’ll try to rely on your killer power (Like chainsaws) to get your 4th and 5th downs/hooks to prevent survivors from knowing they’re exposed until it’s too late. This can buy your totem extra time, as they’ll search with fervor once they know. This also helps to prevent hook suicides that deny you those final unhooks.

All of this is ON TOP of the fact that you must be lucky for your totem to survive for long. For these reasons, when I get Devour Hope to proc, I feel a sense of accomplishment. I feel as though I’ve earned it!

• kingoftheirish1992
    kingoftheirish1992 Member Posts: 159

You still have to do work to get to go off. Like noed it turns up the heat fast which is a very powerful tool.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

You've never played against a 4man with headon and comms, that ######### HURTS

• HawkAyeTheNoo
    HawkAyeTheNoo Member Posts: 731

I have a feeling you just died to Devour and got a bit salty.

• Leyoyo
    Leyoyo Member Posts: 105

A HEX perk promoting no camping is lazy , i am out

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited July 2020

I think we should destroy ebony mori as well as perks like devour, while making DS last all game instead of up to a minute and allowing unbreakable to recharge and swf is also pretty weak and needs a boost since they get destroyed by even rank 15 killers all of the time so maybe remove the killers' ability to see the object user so they don't even know it's presentlet alone can tunnel the poor guy then the game will be fun and balanced and you'll be fighting to get a place in line as killer. survivor queue times will be nanoseconds cause everybody will want to play killer.

• GoodBoyKaru

I have.

Jokes on them, tried sending me to Cowshed. Sent themselves to rotten fields.

• bingbongboi90
    bingbongboi90 Member Posts: 576

I call devour hope: the gen rush killer

If survivors arent focusing much on the Gens and actually care about totems like devour hope, noed and all these perks wont activate.

Devour hope is the balanced Hex totem perk. This is An example what the power level should be of totems.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

No matter what anyone uses, you always will be blamed for it. No matter if its strong or not (which in this case, its weak)

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

But it relies on a totem, which can be cleansed at any moment.

If you have a survivor with a rainbow map or small game, you're unlikely to get the full effects of Devour before the cleanse.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

I’m not that bothered with it. Its high risk high reward. 9 times out if 10 its going to be destroyed before it ever activates.

It only becomes problematic on the indoor maps. Thats when it becomes OP. I came across a killer using it on Midwich and that totem was never found and I searched everywhere as best as I could but its not so easy to search when a killer is roaming about instadowning everyone.

• JasmineDragon
    JasmineDragon Member Posts: 372

the more I see posts like these, and the responses, the more I realize the vast majority of this community... or at the very least the vocal minority, are incapable of analyzing the game and thinking critically moreso than just looking at a streamer's perks and making blind assumptions about their uses and purpose on their build.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

Have ran DH on a killer for the last few nights trying to get it to tier 5 as tests,... it never gets there LOL

People who complain about these perks have never ran them as killer, they die to them in a match one night then go on a forum spree creating threads about the perk.

L2p

• Sinister0208
    Sinister0208 Member Posts: 253

At least it takes actual effort (unlike NOED/DS etc.) and encourages leaving the hook. ToTH makes it really strong otherwise it can be cleansed at 3 stacks quite often (i.e. once they know you have it).

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

what he said! According to survivors 99% of killers camp so they don’t go far enough away to let Devour even get tokens

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

That's the problem for most "op" survivor perks. They get implemented to help rank 20-10 solo survivor sustain against killers at that experience level.

But the high level and expert knowledge survivor can use those weapons way more efficiently to the point of bullying the killer. That's also a reason coordinated swf are so annoying since they also get the weaponry meant for solo low levels.

It symbolises the overall feel of the killer survivor dynamic.

Low surv vs low killer = killer wins

High surv vs high killer = surv wins

Of ourse it is not this cut and dry in game but this is the theoretical state comparing stats (not dev stats) on paper.

• Dzeikor
    Dzeikor Member Posts: 704

calling a hex perk lazy because you probably lost againts it when in reality survivors that dont cleanse totems are the lazy ones

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528

Not to mention lithe, soul guard, quick and quiet, inner strength and urban

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528

No that's hook bombing wglf bt people. Thats what's brain dead. I think Sprint burst is fine RN.

• GoodBoyKaru

Don't worry this "discussion" was settled yesterday lol- short things no they weren't calling em meta perks.

• boobsandlubes
    boobsandlubes Member Posts: 35

No it is not....you still need to work for it to get 3 stacks. NOED on the other hand is the lazy perk in this game.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209

Well all it does is reward killer for good gameplay and punish survivors for bad gameplay have a very high risk reward as totems should have so I don’t think it has an issue you have many perks and items to get rid of it early game if you choose not to and you let it stack higher that is on you

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

Hexes are supposed to be amazing. You can get rid of it with 14 seconds of your time