I am not a fan of adding MMR to DBD

adsads123123123123
adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 1,104
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

Why? It turns a casual game into a competitive game. As a game gets more competitive, it becomes more toxic and unbalanced things start to get abused more. Competitive games usually have a meta. What if the high MMR meta just becomes all keys and Object of Obsessions? I just play DBD for fun and don't care about rank much. I don't want to sweat hard every game.

Another downside of MMR is queue times. Queue times for high MMR players tend of be awful, especially in regions will small playerbases. I live in Australia and my queue time for high MMR Dota is terrible, so it is obvious that my queue time for high MMR DBD will also be terrible.

The only redeeming factor of the MMR system they added is that the MMR might be hidden.

Edit: If they are going to add mmr, then they should add unranked. Every major competitive game has an unranked mode.

Comments

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

There's really no way to avoid making DBD more toxic than it already is, as it's the most toxic PvP game that I've ever seen. And PvP games are naturally competitive, so I don't know what to tell you other than keep your hopes high that one day they'll incorporate a single player mode.

• adsads123123123123
    edited July 2020

edited due to double post

Post edited by adsads123123123123 on
  • Majora
    Majora Member Posts: 207

This will encourage alot of afk smurfing. Remove the killer lock.

• adsads123123123123
    edited July 2020

It is fairly obvious this is a casual game because:

the game is not rigorously balanced

there is no MMR and hence much less of an incentive to keep improving

almost no one cares about the competitive/esport scene

people do not bring keys and moris every game; they would if they wanted to win every game

there is no DC penalty or functional report for griefing in a team-based game

If you think this game is competitive or toxic, then you have probably never played more than 200 hours of LoL or Dota. This game is no where as toxic or competitive as those games. Honestly, I wouldn't even call this game toxic.

Post edited by adsads123123123123 on
  • Sir_Bassington
    Sir_Bassington Member Posts: 229

the unpredictable chaos that is current matchmaking makes this game really fun as a killer or for survivors just messing arround with weird builds, but can be miserable as survivor if you care about escaping every game. This game in its current form and balance is very "casual" even if most players think its competitive, for some reason? RNG based tile spawns, gen spawns, survivor/killer spawn can almost dictate the outcome of the match before skill is even considered and how the MMR is even gonna predict skill is beyond me, dont see how it actually works. a "rank 20" meg that doesn't look behind her at rank 1 throwing down all the pallets and lasting for a long time, is a good player now? but the rest of the survivors having 0 resources to work with are "bad" players because they go down fast? how is this system gonna take that into account? also, if all the high MMR survivors actually gets paired up with survivors of equal skill then all theyre gonna see are spirits, good nurses, deathslingers, feddys and maybe huntresses. great fun those killers.

• adsads123123123123

Regarding queue times, I think it will be an issue for high MMR even with crossplay because I suspect most of the high MMR players will be PC players, so high MMR queue would not become much faster.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

I wasnt the one who called DbD Competive. I just asked.

Also the MMR System is coming and they already try to balance everything. In asymetrical games it can be really hard to balance the game.

Also i love challanges so i would love to see DbD getting more competive.

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411

MMR is better system than rank, Rank right now is just telling you hey i play alot and got to rank 1

• Demonl3y

Crossplay = More players = Faster lobby fills = faster queue times

• Pittelli_Money
    Pittelli_Money Member Posts: 9

I agree going to be a great change. I play killer in red ranks Trapper Pig Spirit. So many other ones I want to get used to playing. Now with the new system I’ll be able to. Very much looking forward to the change.

• adsads123123123123

They could just add individual ranks (not MMR) for every killer for that.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

Oof, you're going to have a lot of discussion between you and most of the players around here. Can't tell you how many threads I've seen complaining about rank because "omg my rank is lower than my opponent this game is unfair."

TBH I don't really care that much what they actually end up doing, but most people seem to be for a different system.

• Pittelli_Money
    Pittelli_Money Member Posts: 9

I mean they could but they didn’t sooo........we got MMR.

• Demonl3y

Uhhh the queues are that long because there arent that many players at each role, not because its a 4vs1 game.

If crossplay comes there will be much more killers and survivors which WILL result in shorter queue times..

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

There is no mmr, they will simply hide the ranks.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833

everyone, this game is casual, is not competitive, it lacks the balanace that every competitive game needs.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

If their MMR was indeed able to accurately predict the outcome of trials, I'm all for it.

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294

A lot of players, probably even the majority already treat DBD as competitve. The game is already quite toxic. It already has meta. What do you think DH, DS, BT is? Or BBQ, Pop, NOED? OoO is kind of meta in high rank teams too. Keys aren't meta simply because bringing a key is a high chance of getting a mori or just be lobby dodged.

It seems that a lot of your concerns are things that already happenned.

Queue times might suffer a bit but adding unranked will make them suffer much more.

• KillScreen
    KillScreen Member Posts: 166
    edited July 2020

Because new player experience its terrible. Level 20/19 being placed against high ranks. Nobody likes to be tea bagged in the first couple of matches.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

People already play competitively anyway so this isn't really going to change.

• bingbongboi90
    bingbongboi90 Member Posts: 576

Mmr is just to make it more fair that newer players wont fight 2000 hours players. Something the ranks 20-1 didn't do because how easy it is to rank up in the current Emblem system.

Mmr will Fix this, MMR isnt to make dbd a competitive game but to make matches fair.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    edited July 2020

Let's say you have 11 survivors and 2 killers waiting for games. 2 killers match against 8 survivors, 3 survivors left to wait for one of the 2 ongoing matches to finish. After that the same again for all players. So you need to wait for a full game length and then have a chance to get a new game instantly or wait for a full match length.

While having more players, the scenario basically stays the same with higher numbers, but you have more matches ongoing that can finish, to get the waiting players into a match. The more games, the more rotation and the higher the chance that one of the matches is finished quickly. Or in short, the more players, the higher the dynamics of the match making.

Maybe a similar example to explain: several people stand in queues in a supermarket. There are only 2 tills open. In one queue there are complications, delaying half of the customers or creating a higher queue for the other till by people switching. The more tills you open, the less people get affected by any delays as the workload can be easier spread.

Btw just if anyone is interested in that fact: DCing survivors increase queue time for survivors. Because every DCing survivor is back in the queue while the killer is still stuck in the game. But to be fair: tunneling killers (and I mean actually TUNNELING, meaning 'get the kill as fast as possible', not 'accidentially hooking someone twice') contributes to that as well.

• derppug
    derppug Member Posts: 239

Honestly, just because an MMR system comes out does not mean that it will become more competitive. Competitive people already exist in the game and there is a meta (just look at the perks and killer tier lists). You can just choose to ignore it and play in whichever way you find enjoyable. It's not a big deal.

We also don't know if they will show us our MMR or not. If they don't, it for sure won't be competitive, as no one will see themselves going up or down in MMR.

An MMR system will fix a lot of the matchmaking problems. And I know people here cry about how the chaos of it makes games fun or you have Scott Jung who talks about how killers need that one ######### player so they can tunnel them out of the game to even have a chance. But having people of equal skill level will make more games more fun. I won't have to queue up and sit through a 15 minute game with a baby killer that essentially becomes a farmfest. Nor will I have to deal with baby survivors as teammates. I'll also be given the chance to practice different killers instead of feeling like I am stuck on whoever I can play at my current skill cap.

Also, the higher up in MMR you go, the less chances you are to have "farm" games. And those type of games are not fun at all. I understand why they exist (because the grind in this game is a mess). But when I log in to play, I want to actually play the game.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219
    edited July 2020

I wonder..isn´t that a bad thing? I mean i can accuratley predict the outcome of a boxing match between the Muhammad Ali on his peak vs an 8 year old, but i wouldn´t call that matchup balanced.

If the system can predict who is going to win, isn´t that a sign its not balanced? If it were balanced, wouldn´t the outcome be unpredictable, anything between 0-4 kills possible?

Or do i misunderstand something fundamentaly?

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

I fully agree with you.

Before the devs should introduce us to MMR, they must to do a lot of ballance first. There are not that many really ballanced killers at the highest rank, they are either overpowered (Nurse, Spirit) or they can not fully compete against the best of the best.

Also slugging, genrush, 4 man SWF teams etc will be standard. Same goes for perks. It will be pretty much impossible to run a fun build every once in a while. But exactly that is great about DbD. No worry about loosing and having a good time.

I already hate it to go against Nurse, Freddy and Spirit nonstop, and i even more hate to run those killers all the time to reach the Top 0,1%

Please devs

First complete the ballance. Then MMR. There is nothing wrong with one more year not having MMR.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

You misunderstand, yes. Rank isn't an accurate indicator of skill. The MMR is supposed to be an accurate indicator of skill. If the MMR was able to predict the outcome of trials, that means the MMR can accurately measure skill, thus leading to balanced trials.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Oh yeah, your right, thanks.

• takeshi
    takeshi Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020

For me its not a casual game I want to play competetive, more serious with new problems to solves and tasks. A better rank system who dont give me a bad killer and mates but an equal killer and equal mates. I want this game to be furious and not boring. In my eyes your just complaining because you are bad. Yeah than you get worse mates and killers. Its just fair.