Killer tier list based on skill caps

MusicNerd_TC
MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

From left to right based on how high their skill cap is. This is all my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. To explain some key positions. 1: hag. Set up killer, need to know the camera flicks, the trap placements and how to adapt to each map. 3: plague. Plague require map knowledge, aim, decision making and you have to know when to use her power. The only person I have seen that has mastered her is fungoose. 4: pig. You need to know proper mindgames and you can pull off some really cool tricks on maps, where you can dash through windows and over pallet loops. 5: clown. Clown requires a lot of skill, because you have to learn how to zone survivors into deadzones, which requires extensive map knowledge.

7: doctor. So much nuances to his kit, and not everyone can utilise them all. 9: pyramid head. You need to know when to use your cages, you need aim, you need to also know how to shut down loops. 10: Oni. I am an Oni main so I may be biased, but you need to learn very hard tactics like wall strafing to down people. 15: wraith. Need to know how to properly shut down window loops or pallet loops by blocking windows whilst in stealth. Now for the bottom 3.

All of the bottom 3 can be switched, so they are all tied in my opinion. Spirit's power rewards her so much for what little skill she requires. Her mindgames of standing still takes no skill, and her phasewalking is easy if you can hear and track scratches. Ghostface's power is just look at the survivor, or hit and run. Neither take skill. Legion is just an m1 killer with boosted speed and pallet vaults. What do you think of mine, and what would your list be?

Comments

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

IMO stick Wraith up to High, Deathslinger down to Meh, and James can be jumped to low as well. Nurse should also be highest.

Agree with it mostly though.

• jisp3r
    jisp3r Member Posts: 317
    edited July 2020

On PS4 things change a lot

Huntress on controller.. Ugh ultra high skill cap haha so is Nurse

Clown is my favorite but all you gotta do is look beyond the survivor to throw the bottles... Not a high skill cap

Doctor with his blast requires no skill to find and kill

Also I would change Freddy with Legion... Legion is harder to play than Freddy

I considered all of them perkless and add-onless as I think u did.

Edit: The others are okay to me too

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

I get this is a very subjective list but in my opinion Pyramid Head is one of the easiest killers in the game. It really doesn't take a lot of time to learn how to deny windows/pallets and "blind shots" are never consistent / 100% luck based anticipation so you can't really count that towards his skill ceiling.

And before someone says "you never played him". I've played him (red ranks as shown in the last clip) since the Silent Hill chapter release:

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

It amazes me you think spirit legion and ghostface require no skill at all. Its just factually incorrect. Spirit youre going to suck with if you dont understand tile routes, and you need to pay attention to a much higher level of detail than with other killers. Legion you have to be really good with splitting pressure and hitting people that are actually good at the game with feral frenzy. Ghostface, whether you approach him hit and run style or try and mark people both require different skills to do effectively.

No killer in this game requires no or even little skill to play effectively. You hand a brand new person Freddy or Myers and their going to get ######### on everytime by veterans

• MusicNerd_TC

Hmm. Maybe Myers can move up a tier, I used to main him before Oni surpassed him as a killer.

Yeah, wraith is my second favourite killer right now, but I don't know if he would be high. Deathslinger actually requires a decent amount of skill with his aim. James is just the definition of no skill to me. Nurse is the one I've been having the most trouble with.

Yeah, I'm a ps4 player, but I'm taking PC into account since it has the most players.

Blindshots can take skill, since you can listen for moving grass and missing a ranged attack is very punishing for him. But I get what you're saying.

• MusicNerd_TC

You don't really need to understand tiles as spirit, since pallets are pretty bad against her. Splitting pressure as legion isn't that hard, since you get the killer instinct and you get an easy first hit. No comment on ghostface. I do agree that every killer requires at least some skill to play, but that all comes to basic understanding of the game.

• Xeticus
    Xeticus Member Posts: 71

Legion is harder to play than the Doctor. Doctor has better tools for finding people and shutting down loops and stronger add ons. Legion is brainless when it comes to getting that first wound using Feral Frenzy but their power is virtually useless against someone wounded. Then you are an m1 killer with no power.

Doctor requires skill and timing with using his shock. That is by far the more powerful tool. Static blast is more simple. Blast everyone, reveal their location and add more Madness stacks. But the shock requires skill. Get the shock right and keep someone from dropping a pallet or vaulting. Get it wrong and they are gone. I would rate Doctor as meh or high on your scale.

Legion on the other hand has very little to depend on once the Frenzy has been used. I would rate them as high for skill cap.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

If you think plagues puke is easy to land then you probably haven't played plague.

• Stinde
    Stinde Member Posts: 459

I'd switch places between Legion and Freddy and put Plague between Trapper and Doctor. Otherwise I agree with your list.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,897

I have played her many times. Got all achievements associated with her too. Its easy to puke on survivors or to get them infected by puking on things at a loop like windows and pallets.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984

Good list.

I'd move billy up a tier to very high (before changes - not sure how new billy plays);

Drop pyramid, plague, doc and clown down to low/meh

pig to high

deathslinger - high

• chase131119
    chase131119 Member Posts: 839

How the hell is Freddy more skillful than Spirit?

• MusicNerd_TC

At least when you play Freddy, you have to learn how to use the teleport mid chase, which can be hard.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,475

felt that plauge was too low but didnt like disrupting the bell curve but kept legion low because learning any other m1 kill learns him as well

• Halun
    Halun Member Posts: 177

I'm mostly neutral on the other killer placements, but the stealth killer placements bother me.

As much as I like Pig, calling her one of the highest skill cap killers is hilarious. Pig is probably my most played killer, and she seems drastically easier to play when compared to Ghostface, who is listed as "no skill" rofl.

It just doesn't make any sense. Seems a bit salt-biased imo.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Hag takes skill? I mean she is so easy to play and get 4k it's crazy. Only Nurse takes some skill to learn at least on console, but after a week of learning her you will be as good with Nurse as the others. They are all easy to play I mean their powers is not hard at all to understand?

• MusicNerd_TC

How does ghostface require more skill than pig? Ghostface's power is looking at a survivor or playing hit and run, while pig can learn tricks on maps where you can run over loops.

• Halun
    Halun Member Posts: 177

I'll try to expound a bit more later when I have more time, but basically? Ghostface's kit has more depth. You have to worry way more about positioning, targeting, and mindgaming imo, because you can't just mindgame survivors into an ambush.

With Pig I literally just crouch, sneak up on people, ambush them, and use traps to stall when necessary. Sure, there is some mindgaming and trickery involved, but it's pretty straighforward. With Ghostface on the other hand, I have to worry about stalk positioning, kneestalking, gliding properly, targeting survivors properly, using crouch to force plays, etc.

It's not that he requires more skill, it's that it's an entirely different sort of skillset that has more depth to it, imo. But if we're talking about skill cap?...

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I'll throw in my two cents as a vet since others are. A well played Rank 1 huntress that doesn't miss is crushingly hard to face. If Huntress/Deathslinger hit every single shot there is no surviving. Highest skill cap.

A rank is about knowing where to place traps and how to route survivors. Trapper and Hag CAN snowball really hard, but they have to have the traps in the right spot to do so. Nurse and Spirit requires a lot of game sense.

B+ is mechanical. You have to understand your killer and when to use their power. Backrev/Oni smash, teleport to gens, when to infect things etc.

B is fundamentals. If you get the basics down and kinda have an idea of what survivors are gonna do you're usually fine, but you really can't get better at staring at people and surprising them. Sneaking maybe, so it does take some skill.

C gets basic. You have teleports/shocks/bing bongs, but you're relying on fundamentals that work with every normal killer to actually get downs. You really can't improve at hitting your M1 any harder past a certain point.

D is baseline. Smack survivor. Survivor out in open? Chainsaw survivor. It's about as basic as you can get.

Obviously this is just an opinion but that's half the fun right?

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,213

Nurse ->Highest skill-cap

Demogorgon,Deathslinger,Clown,Oni,Huntress,Spirit->Medium

Billy,Hag,Trapper,Freddy,Plague,Pyramid head,Myers,Pig,Legion,Ghostface,Doctor,Wraith,Leatherface -> Low

I think nurse will always be hardest to learn, In fact I think that she is so hard to learn that nothing in this game comes even close to Nurse in term of difficulty. Demo,Deathslinger,Huntress and Clown are all skillshot killers and while skillshot are not craziest to learn, Its easy mess them up and make bad reads. Oni and Spirit powers are short burst-high pressure powers, If you get nothing from these powers, your kinda in a bad spot waiting to get your power back up again and this hurts you in long run. The other killers in the game do not have mechanic involved, they're more based around knowledge and nuance. For example when a survivor triggers a hag trap, you press CTRL+M1, There no mechanic skill involved here. The real skill of hag comes in understanding routing and trap placement.

• KnotEnthusiast
    KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464
    edited July 2020

SS: Nurse will always be the highest skill cap, as well as the lowest skill floor. Unpracticed nurses are easy stomps, the best nurses are arguably unbeatable.

S: Both Huntresses and Billies have difficult techs/skills that differentiate very high level players from those that are just "good". Amazing billies master curves around short loops to get consistent downs, and Huntresses know hitboxes of survivors and hatchets and can abuse them to get hits that look impossible.

A: All of these killers have powers that take some level of mastery, but it's usually one or two small tricks that differentiate them from worse players. like knowing Wraith's windstorm lunge or Doctor's shock timing. At the end of the day most of these guys are pretty standard, but they do have some level of acquired skill that can put them a step above.

B: really nothing special to these killers, other than simple mindgames or techs. Some have perks that synergize with their powers well, like Bubba and PWYF/Nemesis or Pig/Demo and STBFL, but still not much to go off of.

C: haha legion go zoom, clown throw bottle, freddy place snare, spirit own headphones. All of these killers have powers that can be picked up and instantly used to high effect, if not mastered. The most braindead players can get close to max value out of these killers.

Note: this is not the strength of the killer I'm rating, but how high the skill ceiling is compared to the floor. Higher ratings have a noticeable difference between a new player to that specific killer, whereas low ranks can master them somewhat easily.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328

All you need to 4k with spirit is stridor. Its not that hard to comprehend.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

You still need some skill even if you think shes easier than other killers. Even just landing hits consistently is a skill

• Funguu
    Funguu Member Posts: 88

Legion isn't harder to play, I hate to disagree but he's easy to play he's just very weak and needs a buff

• Name_Unavailable
    Name_Unavailable Member Posts: 519

Freddy: the most no-skill killer in the game.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

All killers in this game require skill to play, the only ones who need very minimal are shape and Forever Freddy.

I don't play a variety of killers so i cannot say each skill cap :(

• Chico
    Chico Member Posts: 20

Spirit doesn't need skill. In the most of my games I play as a survivor. When I play with the Spirit, I dominante the match and the survivors can't do any gen. I'm Sorry for saying that, but Spirit is a brain dead killer.

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

This is much closer to what the actual list would be lol

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,986

This list is pretty much accurate although I would move Myers up 1 or 2 tiers due to the fact that you have to be strategic about who you stalk and when.

Ghostface definitely belong in bottom tier because he has no terror radius in sneak mode and the mechanic to get him out of it is broken as hell. I'll be staring right at him and center my camera and he won't get revealed until I'm exposed most of the time.

Spirit is pretty much uncounterable, especially if they have Stridor.

And Legion is just braindead, killing machine. Chase and stab and be as annoying as possible

I would also move Deathslinger down a tier because the amount of area control he has while having such a stupidly small terror radius honestly irritates me.

• bjorksnas
  • bjorksnas

having a no skill section and actually putting people in it, no one in this game takes no skill to play you are just the ocean

• Batu45
    Batu45 Member Posts: 10

Doctor needs skill to play? Im a Killer main I dont usually play doctor since the buff because its like impossible to not get a win! I also dont remember that I won against a doctor as a survivor with good teammates! I think that doctor doesnt need that much skill because he can find hiding survivors! Other Killers need skill to find survivor but he?! He doesnt need skill to find them! Just use the shock and done is the job!

• Todgeweiht
    edited July 2020

My tier list but based on the education level of the killers (based on some assumptions + lore)

Post edited by Todgeweiht on
  • RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Pig takes more skill to play:

Her power does come from gens being completed... but she wants to dictate when those gen are done

She needs to know timing a lot more then the rest

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Bubba didn't even make it on the list. Feelsbadman. 😂

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

I've got tones of small changes, but the big one is trapper. He requires extensive map knowledge, time management, and setup. I would put him right next to hag. I would also move ghostface up a tier, considering you need to know when to stalk.

• Todgeweiht

Damn I missed some killers, thanks for letting me know.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

This would be mine. Nurse is lower than Huntress and billy because she has a higher learning curve, not a higher skill cap. There's a lot more that goes into Billy's and Huntress' abilities than Nurse's. Once you have Nurse down that's kind of all you need to know with her and the rest is smooth sailing providing sounds work.

• TheFrog
    TheFrog Member Posts: 56

Spirit is way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyy lower, anyone with half a brain cell can 4K.

and I don’t think huntress should be that high but maybe that’s because I main her and typically get 4K

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

Bring Clown down. I play Clown a lot, but his power is so simple that there's not a whole lot of fancy things you can do with it.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

I actually consider Doc to be a high-skill cap killer because of how short the window for his anti-loop is. You have 2 seconds between when you shock them and when you smack them to actually pull it off, and I think being able to do that consistently is a trait of a good Doc player. Most Docs I encounter as Survivor will shock me 50 times trying to pull it off and waste a ton of time in the process.

• MusicNerd_TC

That's my opinion, and saying my opinion is objectively wrong is stupid.

• MusicNerd_TC

So you must have a huge ego, because this list is my opinion and you are calling it objective BS. Go away troll.

• Hallowgeek
    Hallowgeek Member Posts: 107

Doctor as high and Michael as low? Just delete the whole thread.

This discussion has been closed.