So DBD is getting bots. Could this mean a potential single player mode in the future?

Options
SweetTerror
SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694

If the game is getting bots as a way to take over for players that disconnect, and that are designed to play at different difficulty levels given the ranks of the people in the game, then I see no reason why these bots couldn't be used to create a single player mode. It was done for Friday the 13th, so why not DBD?

Comments

• SweetTerror
    Options

It'll certainly be interesting to see how a killer bot performs. They would clearly have to have something embedded in the code that would prevent things like camping and tunneling.

But even if it was a single player mode that only allowed you to play as the killer, I would be perfectly fine with that! It would give you an opportunity to test out a Killer's abilities without having to worry about competing against other people. But to keep incentivizing people to play online, it could be designed so that the only way you get bloodpoints is by playing in an online match.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

I don't mind bots as long as they have a Steam profile I can -rep them on.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

Give me bots with varying intelligence. Ppl are over rated. 🥴

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346
    Options

I think a bot game mode would instill some very bad behaviors into new players that play it thinking it will help them in the online. I also think it would be incredibly easy.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

The day bots are implemented is the day I stop playing online. A computer is incapable of being toxic

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 871
    Options

Bots = Practice Mode for newbies 🤔

On the other hand, my nephew got an interest within him to try this game recently, so I allowed him to try it on my account. And needless to say, the messages he recieved were ...needless.

He just wanted to have fun. But no, some butthurt had to berate him out of the game and for what? Having inexperienced rookie mistakes made while learning the game? ( yeah, my fault for misjudging the idea of disabling messages, but I find them funny getting them myself, and didnt pay mind what those who have to say something, just over a game. Because they dont see who's on the other end)....

So, Bots ARE for practice. And that's a Good Thing

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826
    Options

Anything can be programmed.

[drop pallet]x[killer stunned]=[crouch][repeat phase]x[killer moves][proceed]

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

I could see an "offline" or "no points" single player mode being added.

• Wylesong
    Wylesong Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2020
    Options

I feel dumb asking but was this actually a thing? Did the devs mention they were gonna add bots or were thinking about it? I am trying to find info but so far nothing. I mean I guess it would be better to have a AI teammate when someone D/c's then no one. At least it is another body to help distract the killer. =)

I found articles and a youtube video and so far it seems mobile exclusive but MAYBE other platforms and I say sure bring it to us. I would rather have a AI try then a body lay there on the ground because someone rage quit. lol

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

Practice mode IS being released with bots on mobile so who knows if/when it will come to PC/Consoles.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

If the survivor bots don’t t-bag at the exit gate I don’t want them.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,140
    Options

Hopefully, and it could get us a better practice mode/tutorial so high ranks aren't flooded with boosted players.

• Wylesong
    Options

I agree but I hope they are much smarter and less buggy then F13. That game lost me when the fact they could no longer add new stuff, I figured okay then maybe they will take the time and polish what they have. Nope they instead pretty much said okay we are done and left the bugs, so the AI will randomly run into doors and just keep running and then sometimes they will even just walk to you. I actually wanted to like F13 but the creators themselves gave up on the game when they could have polished that and fixed the AI.

I really hope the AI does come and plays at the proper level giving. I mean if the killer is a BOT they could maybe place the level at the highest or second highest survivor rank and the other way around. If a survivor D/C's the AI will play at the killers rank. Just an idea for thought.

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Member Posts: 255
    Options

A single player option where you could farm BP as killer or survivor would be a mistake. Having bots as a fill in for dropped players is fine though. Friday 13th's single player turned into an exp farming mode, I wouldn't exactly say the mode worked.

Story mode with one off BP rewards would be different and interesting, but the devs should avoid anything that would allow players to farm BP from bots continuously because if that existed it would be very popular and would mean less games in the matchmaking pool.

• SweetTerror
    Options

Yeah sadly the tutorial is a joke. With so many killers available in the game now, with varying degrees of powers, we really need a practice mode that does more than simply show us how to attack and hook survivors. 😕

• SweetTerror
    Options

From what I understand they recently did a pretty big update that not only ironed out a lot of bugs, but that also incorporated single player challenges. That being said, I understand wanting to pursue other projects considering that they were basically hit with a cease-and-desist order on incorporating anything more into the Friday the 13th game.

• SweetTerror
    Options

I agree. An offline single-player mode would be a great way to practice, but if you want to continue earning bloodpoints, then you'll have to play online. I think the most sensible way to do this is to have the option to turn on bots in a custom match.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

The devs have said hundreds of times at this point that camping/tunneling is legitamate, why wouldnt they allow their bots to do this?

• SweetTerror
    Options

You're correct that they said that camping and tunneling is acceptable when playing online. I'm just thinking of it from a designer point of view. If you were to create a killer bot for DBD, would you try to embed a code that guarantees the killer will always be mixing things up, or would you be comfortable with a bot that face camps every hook he/she makes, and/or tunneling every rescue? I would like to think that the devs would try to aim for the former.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited July 2020
    Options

Bought Monstrum long ago thinking, "it will be cool to be chased by a monster"

Realized a.i. mobiles are as dumb as the goombas back on NES in Super Mario,....

Monstrum

0.3 hrs on record

Found Dead by Daylight,... real players that counter and react to your movements. "Ah finally some PVP"

Dead by Daylight

1,777 hrs on record

Please dont ruin the game with a.i killers and bots. Go try Monstrum and realize how unfun it is.

• RedditUser69
    RedditUser69 Member Posts: 193
    Options

God I hope not.

• Pryzm
    Pryzm Member Posts: 393
    Options

I just want to know if the killer bot is going to teabag or point at the pallet.

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791
    Options

F13th bots were awful though. They'd run to a Cabin, lock the door, then yeet themselves out a window when you got in. Then they'd stab you in the neck 200% of the time when you caught them.

As for a single player mode? No. It wouldn't work as it is right now.

As for a new multiplayer mode that uses bots as mobile objectives? I think that'd be more likely.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

Well, it might depend on the difficulty of the killer. Lets assume for a moment that they shoot for "Very difficult equivalent to legit r1 killer"

They would shoot for maximum efficiency in decision making. Great example:

Killer finds 2 survivors working on gen. 1 survivor is injured and was unhooked 45 seconds ago. Other survivor is uninjured and hasnt been hooked yet. The most efficient decision is to down the injured survivor, chase for no longer than 10 seconds and injure healthy survivor if possible, return to downed survivor and hook them.

According to survivor rule book this would be tunneling but its the best decision for that scenario.

Face camping is only efficient when things go very wrong early. Theres 1 gen left and youve only gotten 2 hooks and only removed a couple pallets. Yup, time to camp and hope for altruistic survivors.

Creating bots with this level of decision making would be extremely difficult and time consuming though, doubt it would be at that level

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

I just realized bhvr is literally programming terminators...maybe we shouldnt encourage this 😬

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776
    Options

That says more about the game then anything ever could, and not in a good way.

• Wylesong
    Options

Oh I agree 100% on wanting and needing to move onto bigger and better things but when they decided to move on from what I seen there was very big bugs. I mean escaping in the car only to have the car teleport back in the map and flip and this happened a lot. I have gotten stuck while playing Jason and could not move until someone hit me as well. I also seen a lot of random DC. I will say the game seems to have fixed a good amount but I figured with nothing else to do BUT fix bugs that game could be a well polished game and still not have the huge bugs it has.

The game still has its charm though and is fun but the other reason I stopped playing was the age group of the average player dropped to between as young as like 8 to 16 and the kids are so loud and vulgar. I know that sounds dumb but to me it is hard to enjoy a game when you have kids at that age thinking its cool to scream and swear just because to them it is new and cool but to anyone that reads this give F13 a chance it is not a horrible game. =)