I thought farming was voluntary?

Options
Avocet
Avocet Member Posts: 284

I have farmed in the past but currently I don't have any desire to farm on neither killer, nor survivor. I ended up in this match where the killer apparently wanted to farm but I didn't want to take part so he slugged me repeatedly when I was trying to open the door. So far so good. Eventually I pretend to go along with it and get out. And I get bashed for it in post-game chat. A teammate even suggested they should have left me slugged. The killer should have just hooked me and be done with it. I have challenges in the Archives to complete.

Since when is it ok to force people to farm?

Comments

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,057
    edited July 2020
    Options

I often farm as killer because all I care about are points. I play sweaty until I have Barbecue stacks then fool around, hook people a second time unless I've forgotten how far along they were, and harass survivors so they can get boldness points and/or altruism from healing one another. A few times I've had survivors realize I was doing this and hang by/gesture at the hook. I usually just shrug, say "okay" and hook them.

• Avocet
    Options

I have filed an in-game report but I don't record my games. There was no sandbagging going on, just hook farming and trying to force me to farm or basically spend the rest of the match slugged.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209
    Options

Next time someone tries to farm report them it is a bannable offense

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

reason #256 why dc penalties shouldn't exist. I had a 2 man swf the other day trying to force the killer to farm me, and the killer was all too willing to co-operate.

• rglarson13
    rglarson13 Member Posts: 201
    Options

I get what you're trying to say, but I don't want to play with people who DC, however legitimate, outside of their control, etc.

If you're going to DC, go play something else. I'm sick of people DCing, and I would like the penalties to come back.

• CaptnTripps
    CaptnTripps Member Posts: 1
    Options

Actually I just saw Mclean farming his grab challenge the other day after killing the first two. So I doubt they will ban for it when a Dev was streaming it and farming with the last 2 survivors.

• UnbeatableAsh
    UnbeatableAsh Member Posts: 101
    Options

People who say they shouldn't exist tend to abuse them themselves

• Caleaha
    Caleaha Member Posts: 90
    Options

I love farming Killers, especially on challenges where I'm having trouble doing because either the killer is inactive or hyper focused.

I'm always game to play.

When I'm playing a killer, if survivors indicate that they want to farm, I'm also game. This tends to happen when I'm on the Doctor, so I make all the survivors bsc which is fun. If someone doesn't want to farm, no biggie,I hunt, hook them twice, sometimes grab them a few more times to heal a person. I like the catch and release program when I have good survivors.

And yes, if that person still doesn't want to farm, eh. As long as they aren't tea bagging it's all good.

• Zamblot
    Zamblot Member Posts: 270
    Options

Oh my god, when I play with friends I'll occasionally get one of those farmers and they don't quit it, it's so annoying and means it's just a game wasted. If I wanted to earn bloodpoints fast I would be playing killer...

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    Options

Farming without cakes.

Doing it wrong kids,...

• feelthepain23
    feelthepain23 Member Posts: 14
    Options

If the others are farming, you are as well doing it.

However, when a survivor knows its going to be a farming match beforehand and still stays despite knowing they have no intention of farming, that's pretty dam toxic .

Best just to leave the lobby of you dont wanna farm, but some killers don't tell you in the lobby there intent.

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268
    Options

Like it was nice when we were all playing to get the crown cosmetic, but recently I had a game where I realized the killer was farming and I just did the gens on my own and got out ASAP. Sorry if it ruined their fun, but I waited in a queue to play the game and had no interest in a free pass, yet I'm also not going to DC for a penalty either.

• DrDeepwound
    Options

Until I get all my killers and survs p3ed, I dont mind a little gardening.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

Here we go with the accusations.

I’m sorry but if someone disconnects or 1st hook suicides 60 seconds into the game ruining it for me then I dont see why I should be punished and forced to stay in the game when I did nothing wrong. I’d rather quit and move on to a new game. With the penalties its the people who stay in the game who get punished the most. They get a 5 minute time out, I’ve had games where 2 disconnect and I seek out the killer to end it and as expected try hard sad case slugs for the 4k and pick up and slug and it went on over 5 minutes. That was me being punished through no fault of my own because the mechanics in this game are easily abusable which leads to so many disconnects in the first place.

Likewise is a swf farms with the killer against my will, if Im just a playtoy for a toxic swf teaming with the killer why should I sit there and put up with it? People who defend this often do it themselves am I right?

I need to sit there and be trolled for 5 minutes while the toxic troll players have their fun. Then its on me to record a video, waste time uploading it to youtube, waste time submitting a report just to get a generic “Hi we will look into it” response from the support site and never an update.

Behaviours support is shocking. The number of trolls out to ruin everyone else games is shocking. Behaviour as always does nothing about it because they couldnt care less.

• DCash
    DCash Member Posts: 170
    Options

Yeah that's definitely not ok. I have been in my fair share of farming games, never by choice. There's usually someone who doesn't want to farm and just pushes gens. If someone just wants to leave I will never stop them from doing so. No one should be held hostage in a game. This is why I am against the DC penalty altogether. If "it's just a game" then people shouldn't be punished for leaving.

• Zamblot
    Options

Honestly, I wish they banned farming because of how many games I've had ruined by it. It was at its worst when survivor queue times were like 15 minutes, half the time someone would DC in the loading screen then finally after getting a game it's just someone who only wants to farm. This is a game, not a job, I don't want to act like bloodpoints are real money and sweat out earning them

• Zamblot
    Options

Honestly, I wish they banned farming because of how many games I've had ruined by it. It was at its worst when survivor queue times were like 15 minutes, half the time someone would DC in the loading screen then finally after getting a game it's just someone who only wants to farm. This is a game, not a job, I don't want to act like bloodpoints are real money and sweat out earning them

• cloudface
    cloudface Member Posts: 93
    Options

😕 I'm confused; farming what? If it's points farming in OP's example, well the killer only got 17k bp and I'm sure I've gotten scores in the low 20k zone with 0 kills before. Farming some specific action for a challenge? Again, I've focused on hitting challenges and still got more bp. Shards farming? That's just 10 minutes of game time and unless you AFK for it you can still kick some gens and scare a few survivors for over 17k bp 😐

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

If I'm farming as killer and a survivor doesn't want a farm. I'll typically just treat them like a low priority actual player.

If I see them I'll down them and hook them then they can go off and do whatever they need to do I won't tunnel then I'll just continue for me with the others but if I find them again I repeat the process down them and hook them.

Essentially I'm not going to go out of my way to look for you or tunnel you but if I do happen to bump into you I'll treat you like a normal player in a normal game.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

I'm of the opinion that no one should have to play nice just because a person disconnected the killer really has no control over if the random blendette gets annoyed that she got found.

However I feel like they shouldn't go out of their way to be a douche simply either be nice or just play the game how you normally would there's no need to to make the poor survivors stuck in the game suffer

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited July 2020
    Options

There isn't even any BP offerings! I mean I could understand being a little upset at someone who isn't joining in on farming when there is 400%+ bonus BP at stake (still doesn't mean I'd try and force them to farm mind you), but farming for base points? That's inexcusable!

I'm a simple killer whose trying to P3 and max out multiple characters, so if I see 3+ BPS or Gateau's and the survivors want to farm, I'll play along, but if I don't see that and they still want to farm... they're just wasting time, and I'll mercilessly come down on them for it. In order for farming to be worthwhile, the potential Gain has to be at least quadruple the amount of points or it's not worth it. I can easily earn triple the points with normal play + BBQ and a survivor pudding, so I don't need survivors consent for that many points.

That being said, if someone doesn't want to farm, I just kill them and move on with the rest of the team that does, but again only if my BP gain is gonna be worth it. There's no point in forcing people to farm if they don't want to, and even more so when the BP gain is below quadruple the amount. It's baffling to see the killer in that game went along with farming for a measly 17k BP (they didn't even have BBQ), much less getting salty over OP's refusal to participate. If the game had 5 BPS, or Gateau offerings and the players all brought in WGLF/BBQ, but one didn't want to participate in farming, then I could understand being a little perturbed, but then again, that's their loss and is no reason to try and force them to farm, much less be an ######### about it in the post game chat.

I'm offended at so many things regarding their farming attempt. These guys obviously have no idea how to farm for points, and I would gladly have just killed them all for trying. You want to farm? Make it worth everyone's time! If you can't, then don't even try and just play the damn game normally.

• Avocet
    Options

At least on PC you can't communicate with the killer before the match.

That's exactly why I made this thread. When the official stance on this issue is unclear, many people are forced to put up with it.

Killer was almost MIA in the beginning of the match. I had a challenge to repair gens so that's what I did and never had to worry about the killer. I guess he was planning to farm after gens were done 🙄

• killermainxd
    killermainxd Member Posts: 25
    Options

Farming completely ruins the game and should be frowned upon. I tried to play for an hour last week and literally got 5 farming killers in a row, ######### is so brain-dead and an absolute waste of time.

• siren_sorceress
    siren_sorceress Member Posts: 321
    Options

Farming was fun when I was 100hrs in. Farming was okay 1000hrs in maybe. 5k hours in I will instantly leave the match if a farming killer refuses to kill me. You have to really suck as killer to need to farm considering how many more points you make compared to survivors.

• DrDeepwound
    edited July 2020
    Options

So you farmed to get where you are, and then ridicule others who are doing the same thing you did.

• RizeAki
    Options

As they said you must agree to wanting to farm many of the devs have strictly said if someone tries to farm rather then playing the game when that’s what you want to do they can be banned for it that is the main reason they barely do bp events too many people farm when thats not everyone else’s play style

• DrDeepwound
    edited July 2020
    Options

As a survivor when killer is farming, I do the gens and leave. Not sure what the complain is, no one is forcing you to farm. Did 4 of the 5 gens two nights ago on a farming killer.

I play both sides and can see it from both angles as I have almost 1000 hours just on surv side.

• RizeAki
    Options

The problem is nobody wants gen simulator and a lack of altruism and chase points most people want to actually play the game and a lot of the time if you don’t farm your team will farm you and let you get hard tunneled off hook while sandbagging you

• DrDeepwound
    edited July 2020
    Options

Maybe I guess people have different ideas of farming, I am not talking about sitting at the hook and letting people unhook.

I basically hook every one once as normal chases for BBQ stacks,.., and then continue to chase and down them, I just dont kill them. I still chase and slug them, sometimes i even kill 1 or 2, there are different and non unfun ways to get some extra points. Somes I hook them all twice, then slug rest of the match and let them pick each other up but I dont sit there at the hook farming and letting people slam me with pallets, but if i see 5 cakes, I play nicer for sure. 200k games rule. Once I maxed on hits if someone tries to slam with a pallet I will kill em.

• Gamegain55
    Gamegain55 Member Posts: 25
    Options

I tried to do gens but then everyone just started chasing me down, I hid for a while but the survivors found the locker I was in, I really didn’t want to get hook farmed and that was the first time I had DCed in a long time. It’s fine imo to farm but don’t force it on others like a jerk.

• DrDeepwound
    Options

In your example, that is bannable I believe. And I agree with everything you said. I do not farm in such a way and as a survivor have often left the match myself.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,098
    Options

It's a big reason as to why we shouldn't have this completely ridiculous grind. You get games where people refuse to play because they want to farm. Nobody should ever feel like they have to farm. Kill the BP grind. It's pointless.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

I don't like to farm but I will Max out gen points by 99ing the last 3 gens, busting all the totems, and looting all the chests if I see the rest doing farming things. Pretty much accelerating the process then at the end I'll give the killer my hook states and open the gates when I know it's all completed. Maybe even pet some wildlife while I wait.

• DrDeepwound
    Options

this right here ^

I have over 1700 hours and still not all my killers p3ed. Until then, Ill play nice on 5 cakes, although 5 cake days are over. I barely see more than 2 cakes lately.

• OperationMintyHippo
    OperationMintyHippo Member Posts: 406
    Options

I've had this happen before and my teammates sold me out during the match, the killer hooked me, face camped me, shook his head no at the teammates to make sure they didn't pull me off, and they just teabagged me on hook and let me die because I did gens to get out since I didn't want to farm. Times like that I wish reporting did literally anything.

• Zerog
    Zerog Member Posts: 27
    Options

Well considering farming is a reportable offence, no its never okay to farm lol, but seriously speaking farming is boring as hell, on top of that killers need to understand that you always end up with less points than you would had if you played normaly since you let everyone go at the end.

• evil_one_74
    evil_one_74 Member Posts: 312
    Options

I prestiged a couple of killers and survivors when I first started playing ( 3 years ago), but stopped. I didn't like losing my perks, and having to get them back. The bloody outfit is cool, but having to get all your perks back sucks. If our characters leveled up a different way that allowed us to keep all the perks, and just get the bloody outfit I might have kept on prestiging, but with it being the way it is, I just keep them all at 50, and dump BP into them to get all the perks on each one.

• Pulvoriser
    Pulvoriser Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2020
    Options

Consider they were all on the train and you were the odd one out, spoiling the fun and the points from 4 other people. Selfish if you ask me.

Also FYI, Most archives are mainly done though farming I might add.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

It really is tbh, but you are choosing to let this killer know you have no intentions of helping them earn some points, while they would do the same.

So I would expect salt, or even a straight tunnel till death before they start farming with the rest.

I personally just chase the people who don't and let the others unhook em twice, then I'll leave them alone.

• Avocet
    Options

It is not selfish to want to play the game you logged into. If I want Farmville, I'll play Farmville. I'm sorry if I spoil other people's fun because they had different expectations of DbD. If other players agree to farm - great, but it's nobody's responsibility to go along with it since they got in game to have fun.

Regarding the archives challenge, all the gens were already done so there was nothing in it for me. I usually complete my challenges playing normally. Have you tried completing a safe unhooks challenge while farming?

• RizeAki
    Options

Many of the devs have said it’s bannable because it stops players from playing the game regularly

• Avocet
    Options

Sorry but I'm a bit confused. It really is what?

The killer did hook me twice and I would have been ok with him just sacrificing me. Slugging me while the others farm would be another matter though.

I know people can get salty about anything that doesn't go their way but it's still funny. I'm not obliged to help anybody earn points. They should work for them.

This discussion has been closed.