Remove the ability to suicide on hook.

Terro
Terro Member Posts: 1,171
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

So now that d/c penalty is back can the devs remove the ability for survivors to kill themselves on hook? Just give some other penalty for trying to Kobe or failing a struggle phase. The added benefit is new survivors won't accidentally get themselves killed and even veteran survivors accidentally screw up the struggle phase (or a bug kills them). Maybe even replace it with a voting surrender system. Although it would suck if there was a 3 man swf and they vote to surrender and you are the odd one out.

It's as ridiculous as giving the killer the ability to hang themselves to give up.

Comments

• Terro
  • Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

They really need to make 2nd hook phase work exactly like the cage of atonement. It wouldn't be possible to suicide as long as the other survivors can unhook fast enough.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Honestly, just make the struggle phase have skillchecks

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030

Agreed actually. Now if you are the last survivor or if everyone hits struggle you automatically die anyways. The only reasonable case of a hook suicide would be to give the last person the hatch and I'm completely okay with removing this. This way they would either need to wait it out or go for the actual rescue.

• GhostMaceNotCrusty
    GhostMaceNotCrusty Member Posts: 716

If u dont like them offing themselves on the hook, use ph

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

Make it so you can only suicide when 2 players are left and I'm all for it. Self sacrifice to give your teammate a chance at survival should be allowed.

• Terro

...so forcing 1 person to stick to a match for the enjoyment of 4 other people will lead to a downward spiral for the game. If the game isn't enjoyable for everyone then a vote system should be fine.

Meanwhile, letting that 1 person suicide on hook so they can quit and keeping joining other games until they find that one acceptable game will not lead to a downward spiral of death?

I never said suicide should be punished. I said it should be completely removed. Gone. When you fail a Kobe or struggle you just get some other penalty without being killed. Something with the emblems.

• Veen
    Veen Member Posts: 706

Don't you dare get between me and my constitutional right to doink of the hook, there already too many scenarios who would make anyone crazy, like the 5 gens scenarios and everyone staring at you like an e girl crouching waiting for campingface to patrol.

• Terro

U can think whatever you want on whether you deserve to be paid to stay in a match but how does this have anything to do with the downward spiral the game faces from no more suicides on hooks? There are plenty of other games that don't even give you the option to suicide to leave the game early. They seem to be doing fine without the option. Then there's the fact that ppl seem to be very keen on paying game companies to not have to deal with inconveniences that feel like work so maybe you should have to pay microtransactions to suicide on hooks.

• Terro

I believe a more accurate quote would be:

"Let's remove a mechanic that ruins the game for 4 other players. If they really want to stop playing, then they can disconnect. DC penalties are enough."

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Legion is far from the worst killer to go against. Hawkins though, you might have a point there.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

This is just going to encourage Alt + F4, if anything. And they won't care, because people who hook suicide are just going to quit in another way regardless.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

lol no

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505

You know, in history there was another group of people who tried to make the world do what they wanted to do, regardless if they wanted to do it or not.

They lost in WW2.

xD

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

/Cage_of_Attonement.Exe

^sorted

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225

Nooo. Sure you don't play against russian campers. First 3 games today, 3 russian campers

• faff
    faff Member Posts: 68

if you remove this they'll just eat the D/C penalty. you cannot force someone who doesn't want to play to play. or just sit afk until they die while they watch something or something, you won't be getting a player, that's for sure.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,110

i've honestly had far more problems with people d/cing than killing them self on hook. Even with the d/c penalty a d/c ruins the game worse than suiciding on hook in my opinion. I mean like people have previously said forcing someone to stay in a match won't really lead to anything good. They will either just say screw it and not play letting the killer 3 hook them, or stop playing the game overall.

• KingD
    KingD Member Posts: 3

Partly agree because it's annoying when you lose time to trying unhook someone who commits suicide.

But... I had to commit suicide in order to save the entire team: the gates were open and they all wanted to try to save me. And it was impossible. I choose to sacrifice myself and they thanked me.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

Sweet suicides.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

You should never suicide to a camping killer! you should take all the time you can, because he is camping. Meanwhile your fellow survivors can do gens, and escape. It sucks for you, sure.

But camping is only a thing because its so easy for the killer, and hook suiciding just encourages this behaviour, while it should be punished. Thats while i suicide if i have crappy teammates, i never do if the killer camps.

@topic: Even if people can´t suicide, how do you think that will help? I just gel myself hooked and go afk. You might save me if i cant suicide, but i suicide because you are a crappy teammate. I either don´t play, or i start playing really selfish. I don´t know how that helps your case.

But again, i play vs all killers, on all maps, with all perks. I only suicide do to survivor actions, like intentionally leading the killer to me (i found a hex totem, began cleansing it, and another surivvor rushed in and out the locker, till the killer came and chased me...while the other one cleansed the totem). This is one of many examples, but i won´t play with you if you are that survivor.

• JP_Cloud
    JP_Cloud Member Posts: 173

Yeah but you also cant have nothing in place which just encourages it. DCing was waaay down when they introduced this system. It ruins the match for everyone and 4/5 people might want to play that match.

• SloppyKnockout
    edited July 2020

People bought the game to have fun individually. Other players are not your babysitter and are not responsible for your fun. Why is your fun paramount over theirs? Quite the superiority complex.

If you expect me or anyone else to be your babysitter, surely you don't expect us to do it for free. So take your entitled hand out of your entitled pocket, and pull out your wallet to cough up some cash and pay us to be your babysitter.

Otherwise, just keep whining.

• JP_Cloud
    JP_Cloud Member Posts: 173

I didn’t. I bought it cause a friend suggested it and we play as a group. 😂 well have fun not playing or sitting in timeout 🙌🏻 Try civ

• SloppyKnockout

Nobody in here is talking about DCing on SWFs. This thread refers to solo queue.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

Having penalties isn't "forcing" you to do anything you ######### entitled manbabies. If you don't like it, alt+f4 and eat the penalty like a grown goddamn adult and maybe don't play if you're gonna react like a child. "I should be able to do whatever I want without any consequences because I said so!" ######### off.

• SloppyKnockout
    edited July 2020

We're not referring to penalties forcing us. We're referring to the ability to die on hook being our own prerogative. Taking that away is effectively forcing you to stay in the game.

If we're going to call out people for acting like a child, read your post, study your conduct, and look in the mirror.

Okay, pumpkin?

• Xbob42
    edited July 2020

Your other prerogative is to force-quit the game and then go cry on the forums about how your constitutional rights to ######### in a game because you were throwing a tantrum were violated by mechanics that actually encourage people to play the game and work with their team instead of being spoiled little children.

God, the idea of a bunch of manbabies actually quitting because they're "forced" to play the game is one of the most exciting changes that could possibly happen. Imagine how much better the community would be if we could actually get into games where people could take the first M1 without rage quitting.

• SloppyKnockout

I didn't start this thread. I'm not the one crying.

Besides, anyone with a brain would look at your post, and mine - and it wouldn't be me crying. You're the one throwing an eTantrum.

Calm down, duder.

• Xbob42

Yes yes, I used bad words and it let you make a completely irrelevant argument not based around the discussion at hand that you're convinced is a gotcha, keep pressing on that front because at least there's something resembling logic to that, unlike the manbaby muh-consitutional-rights-to-ruin-the-game-for-others angle.

• SloppyKnockout

Oh man, someone had a bit too much coffee today.

The only one behaving like a "manbaby", whatever that is, is you. Pushy, stomping your feet, saying "NO I DON WANNA!"

I'm sorry you're wrong, man.

Take a chill pill, my dude! :)

• Xbob42
    edited July 2020

Still waiting for something relevant to the topic at hand.

And yes, thanks to events beyond just this game, the concept of a bunch of morons going "BUT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHATEVER I WANT AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHERS WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE" is an especially annoying subject right now. I'm gonna need to see massively better arguments than that on this subject.

• SloppyKnockout

You're giving off a lot of negative, and authoritarian vibes, man.

So aggressive. You're clearly someone who doesn't want to have a conversation, being that you're coming from a place of anger. You hadn't even attempted to counter anything I said in this thread. All you've done is scream and stomp your feet like a child, and hurl curses and insults at me.

I'm sorry - you don't get to call me out for anything when you conduct yourself in that manner. You're just a terribly rude person. Poor guy.

• Xbob42

Still nothing of value. You're arguing about me. Give me points beyond "because I shouldn't be 'forced' to!" -- because that's all I've seen, and that's not an argument.

• SloppyKnockout

It is an argument. One you can't counter. Proven by your foot stomping and curse laden responses.

(I normally wouldn't do this - but for your own sake, take a chill pill and come back when you're less abbrasive, angry and sarcastic - then I'll allow you to have a civil conversation. You have zero chance of looking good at the end of this with the road you're going down, lol)

• Xbob42

Can't counter? It's the easiest counter in the world: You're playing a team-based game with a team of other people. Intentionally ruining the game for them by quitting like a baby --by any means-- should result in punishment. Don't like it, don't quit. If you're such an incomprehensibly unhinged child that you can't put up with a match you don't find fun (a match you signed up for) for like 10-15 minutes then maybe this isn't the right game or genre of games for you. And the community would be drastically better off if all the quitters actually quit the game entirely rather than just whichever match they didn't deem personally acceptable.

And don't mic drop yourself, it's sad.

• SloppyKnockout

So, what you're saying is, I'm responsible for your fun.

I didn't know you needed a babysitter. ;)

Keep trying, duder. This is like a game of whack-a-mad-mole to me.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,442
    edited July 2020

Yeah, you actually can. That's what DC penalties are there to do, to punish you for not staying in the game. Every other multiplayer game not only punishes you for DCing or suicide (usually called feeding) or griefing etc. But they do so VERY harshly. Many games will suspend you from the game for several days or weeks for repeat offenders, moving up to permanent bans if people do it enough.

Why can't we do that here? You can't say "but you are forcing people to play a game they don't want to", because you are right, i am. You signed up to play a game of DBD the moment you hit that "ready" button. If you get into the match and you don't like how it's going, it doesn't mean you get to leave just because things aren't going your way.

• Xbob42

Yeah, most games that have ranking systems have harsh punishments for terrible sportsmanship. And we can see in this very thread the level of god-tier entitlement (which is a word I don't even like using since people use it incorrectly so often, but dear lord it fits here) of them saying not just "if you punish me, I'll quit," but quite literally implying that if any sort of punishment encouraged people to actually finish games, that the entire game would enter a death spiral. The egos on these people, man. Never been told "no" a day in their life.

• SloppyKnockout
    edited July 2020

And if someone full on DC's, they are penalized.

But if you're going to tell people that when they get hooked and see the rest of their team urban evading or self caring in a corner that they have stay and can't just die and move on to the next match? We're not your babysitter. We paid as much for the game as you did, and nobody but you owes you a good time for that money. Get off your high horse. You are wrong, you'll never be anything other than wrong in this. No matter how hard to try to justify your need for babysitters.

There is a difference between a DC and dying according to the rules of the game.

• Xbob42
    edited July 2020

And, as this thread implies... what if those rules were changed? That's the point. We want the rules changed. We want the mechanics changed. We want teammates that are committed to giving their best each match (or at least have the rules and mechanics encourage them to try), rather than deciding that the match isn't going as they planned so it's time to bounce.

This discussion has been closed.