Did they go out of their way to make The Pig bad?

Options
HP150
HP150 Member Posts: 455
edited September 2018 in General Discussions

I know I'm late to the party (I stopped playing after they nerfed Freddy 2 weeks after his release despite already being the weakest killer released), but holy smokes... After playing her for a while it seems like she just has so much going against her, I'm surprised she hasn't been worked on after BHVR got their initial cash grab from her release.

RBTs: Reverse Bear Trap's whole thing is that they're supposed to prevent escape... Yet Survs can just hop through the hatch? Live(?) the rest of their existence with a bear trap on their head? So all the other survivors have to do is leave if one buddy has a RBT on and the exit gates are powered? Or god forbid they bring a key... * shudders * I've heard an argument that if it is the last survivor alive with a RBT on then all the killer has to do is camp the Jigsaw Box that has the key... Counter-point: If the Pig is able to track you that entire time and knows exactly which Boxes you've been to and knows exactly which box has the key, maybe you've been outplayed and deserve the loss?

RNG: "But RBTs should be used to delay the game!", sometimes, yes. But that's heavily RNG dependent. Let's say the survivor gets RNG screwed and has to go through all the boxes. They will ALWAYS have enough time as long as they're not screwing around. If the Pig gets RNG screwed and the survivor gets it off on the first box, she just wasted 1/4th of her finite use power as well as her time. One feels a bit less crappy than the other. I guess they knew that RBTs were trash, which is why they gave her a second killer power...

Crouching: ...Which wouldn't be abysmal if that secondary power didn't require you crawl around the map at a snail's speed. The devs way overrate how strong stealth killers are in general (see: Freddy, Wraith, how long it took them to make EW1 Myers to move faster than Survs or how they took away his bloodlust). Gens get done really freaking fast in this game nowadays and if you can't patrol gens in a timely fashion then you've likely lost. I barely even get to use the stealth mode mid-game because of this.

Addons: Her addons are atrocious. As in, I'd rather take her common addons than any of her ultra-rare addons. Also, take the Face Mask for example.

Survivors caught in a Reverse Bear Trap suffer from the Blindness Status Effect.
Does not affect the Jigsaw Box highlight.

WHY? Why the unnecessary stipulation? Why isn't she allowed to have super strong addons? Why aren't survivors allowed to die to the bear trap? Lord knows survivors have a 6th sense for finding every generator and totem on the map as evidenced by the gen rushing/hex totems that last 30 seconds into the match, is it really that unreasonable to have an addon that requires them to use their eyes and ears to look for the boxes without a blaring white highlight from everywhere on the map?

Comments

• Zanfer
    Zanfer Member Posts: 647
    Options

The addons I can agree with you on, however her crouch mechanic is fine. You shouldn't be crouching the whole time as pig even if you are trying to stealth on survivors. If you know survivors are in an area you need to predict where they will be and crouch right before they hear your terror radius for maximum efficiency in walk speed.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    Options

Yeah pig does rely heavily on RNG which is the reason she can be pretty bad sometimes. Also with crouch you can barely see anything if the map has a ton of grass and have you played on the pale rose yet? That map is a nightmare if you want to sneak up on survivors. As for her add-ons they could honestly be better. Rule set No.2 should be default though and Amanda's letter should allow her to instadown but have 2 traps, 3 jigsaw boxes and remove the aura reading. Make the rest of her add-ons better and rework surveillance and Hangman's trick. Surveillance should be that you kick a generator and once a survivor starts working on it, it gives you a noise notification and turns white for as long as the survivor works on it. Not sure how to rework Hangman's though maybe have it so that kicked generators regress faster?

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

Traps are fine, though I wish RNG swung a little more unfavorably to survivors, so they they had to go through 2-3 boxes more often than 1.

My real complaint is Ambush's roar. Aside from, maybe, the first hit of the game, Ambush is almost universally bad to use unless you're trying to camp a hook. You're slower than a survivor running, you can't see crap, and you're very easily recognized while crouching (imo). And then you have the roar before you attack, which Sprint Burst negates. However, the devs have confirmed they're not going to buff her.

She's mostly fine, but you're screwed at the top end if you don't have good addons, because you're relying on Ruin for your time.

She's a momentous killer, so once you get the game rolling in your favor you can keep your lead with a good build and instincts.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980
    Options

Played against enough Pigs to see that there are a number of ways to counteract gen rushing and such. She's only bad against loops imo, just like most other Killers. Early or late game trap setting can cause problems for Survivors depending on your build. Most successful Pigs I've played against used the Stealth situationally and instead of going for the Lunge they'd stand up right before the gen and try for a grab instead.

IIRC, the devs said that traps are for slowing down the generators and not primarily for actually killing Survivors. You're still supposed to give the Entity Its pound of flesh. It doesn't like it when you kill the Survivors instead.

• TheGorgon
    TheGorgon Member Posts: 777
    Options

She has RNG in her but not enough...

players that mindgame. If you can mindgame well, then you are going to be literally insane with her, since she's heavily reliant on that specific mindset. If you do not know how to mindgame, then the killers not for you. I'm not implying that the killer DOESN'T have anything wrong with her (she does), but she is also reliant on such games, that people don't execute correctly.

I'm not saying, you don't know how to mindgame, just saying that she does need quite the brain power to play as.

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358
    edited September 2018
    Options
    HP150 said:

I know I'm late to the party (I stopped playing after they nerfed Freddy 2 weeks after his release despite already being the weakest killer released), but holy smokes... After playing her for a while it seems like she just has so much going against her, I'm surprised she hasn't been worked on after BHVR got their initial cash grab from her release.

RBTs: Reverse Bear Trap's whole thing is that they're supposed to prevent escape... Yet Survs can just hop through the hatch? Live(?) the rest of their existence with a bear trap on their head? So all the other survivors have to do is leave if one buddy has a RBT on and the exit gates are powered? Or god forbid they bring a key... * shudders * I've heard an argument that if it is the last survivor alive with a RBT on then all the killer has to do is camp the Jigsaw Box that has the key... Counter-point: If the Pig is able to track you that entire time and knows exactly which Boxes you've been to and knows exactly which box has the key, maybe you've been outplayed and deserve the loss?

RNG: "But RBTs should be used to delay the game!", sometimes, yes. But that's heavily RNG dependent. Let's say the survivor gets RNG screwed and has to go through all the boxes. They will ALWAYS have enough time as long as they're not screwing around. If the Pig gets RNG screwed and the survivor gets it off on the first box, she just wasted 1/4th of her finite use power as well as her time. One feels a bit less crappy than the other. I guess they knew that RBTs were trash, which is why they gave her a second killer power...

Crouching: ...Which wouldn't be abysmal if that secondary power didn't require you crawl around the map at a snail's speed. The devs way overrate how strong stealth killers are in general (see: Freddy, Wraith, how long it took them to make EW1 Myers to move faster than Survs or how they took away his bloodlust). Gens get done really freaking fast in this game nowadays and if you can't patrol gens in a timely fashion then you've likely lost. I barely even get to use the stealth mode mid-game because of this.

Addons: Her addons are atrocious. As in, I'd rather take her common addons than any of her ultra-rare addons. Also, take the Face Mask for example.

Survivors caught in a Reverse Bear Trap suffer from the Blindness Status Effect.
    Does not affect the Jigsaw Box highlight.

WHY? Why the unnecessary stipulation? Why isn't she allowed to have super strong addons? Why aren't survivors allowed to die to the bear trap? Lord knows survivors have a 6th sense for finding every generator and totem on the map as evidenced by the gen rushing/hex totems that last 30 seconds into the match, is it really that unreasonable to have an addon that requires them to use their eyes and ears to look for the boxes without a blaring white highlight from everywhere on the map?

I hate the pig, and I'm personally glad she's as bad as she is. Too many people that use her just camper and tunnel. The reverse bear trap i feel is more of an endgame use kind of thing you use when survivors need 1-2 or no gens. So many pig players I feel are using her wrong as well. The way a lot of them I encounter play her is catch somebody trape em hook camp em or patrol them and when they get unhooked tunnel them down. There is no point aside from the BP in using the trap if you're just going to tunnel the person down. Now your complaint about bear traps giving survivors too much time to get it off I think it should be that way just so it's fair if you get terrible rng it shouldn't be a guaranteed kill. With that said to help with that they could give her more traps but then she becomes incredibly annoying to play against. Then she'll probably get the Freddy treatment.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

RBTs should start ticking as soon as they are not in a chase, the whole gen being completed thing is ridiculous. If they were this way they may be slightly better at killing, no anxiety if you know you're gonna survive 9 times out of 10. If you don't want to scrap the whole gens trigger the timer thing you could make it so they can't see the boxes and change the face mask because it'll be made redundant.

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642
    Options

When I play survivor, the key is always in the last box. I know its only me, but I hate pigs because of that :lol:

• Terrortot
    Terrortot Member Posts: 423
    Options
    I guess ps4 is a whole different animal than pc. 

I have done consistent 3-4k with her in red ranks.

The traps are just to buy time, i think i have had one go off via timer and one survivor go through the exit gates with one on....lul

It definitely slows the game though.
  • Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543
    Options

@Terrortot said:
    I guess ps4 is a whole different animal than pc. 

I have done consistent 3-4k with her in red ranks.

The traps are just to buy time, i think i have had one go off via timer and one survivor go through the exit gates with one on....lul

It definitely slows the game though.

ps4 is completely different. On pc, starting rank 15 you get SWF that try to troll and know all about game. No joke, first 10 games for me were 4 man SWF. I did not know to "dodge"
    On ps4 until red ranks you don't even get SWF, people play smartly but not PC lvl. And PC trolling is just.. of the charts.
    And pigs I've met on PS4 are a joke compared to PC lvl. People on PS4 seem to play more casually or more cautiosly, not intending to run whole game just to troll killer. I honestly like it.

As for pig traps: if you chase survivor with trap on his head, he will loose time and might have his head blown up. Losing chase = crouch as pig. As soon as you lose her, timer starts again. For each chase, even small, there is -1 box available to search. chase him 3 times, and he has only time to check 2 boxes.
    I've seen game help survivor many times, if he does not have enough time to reach other box, his trap would be disarmed. On the other hand, never seen it that head pops when there's not enough time till next box.
    They're not RNG, they're just scam.

• Gun_Doc
    Gun_Doc Member Posts: 43
    Options

@Sarief said:

On the other hand, never seen it that head pops when there's not enough time till next box.

Are you saying you have never seen a RBT take out a survivor? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you wrote because I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

• Sarief
    Options
    Gun_Doc said:

@Sarief said:

On the other hand, never seen it that head pops when there's not enough time till next box.

Are you saying you have never seen a RBT take out a survivor? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you wrote because I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

I've never seen box fail if survivor was in danger: incoming killer it running out timer
  • Gun_Doc
    Options

@Sarief

Here is a video I took just a couple of days ago. At 9:28 the survivor failed a skill check so I started heading that way, but was still a long ways away, 9:41 Game Over and 9:48 I finally arrived.

https://youtu.be/7pNDrLSmri8?t=9m26s

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

She's nowhere near the weakest killer in the game, but I think most of you underestimate her.

Most of her problems are what most of the non-high tier killers have: looping. But to act like her abilities are useless is short-sighted.

• Sarief
    Options

@Gun_Doc said:
    @Sarief

Here is a video I took just a couple of days ago. At 9:28 the survivor failed a skill check so I started heading that way, but was still a long ways away, 9:41 Game Over and 9:48 I finally arrived.

https://youtu.be/7pNDrLSmri8?t=9m26s

This looks to me like suicide though. Why she failed skill check and stayed in same place though? You didn't receive "failed check box search" notification, right?
    Or I am wrong and pig does not receive those? o-O

• Gun_Doc
    Options

If the survivor fails a skill check at the jigsaw box or once they remove the RBT at one it does signal the killer with the explosion just like a failed skill check on a generator or being healed by another player.

As for why they would stay there and continue to try is due to their timer getting ready to expire so they had no other choice than to keep trying in hopes of getting it removed. They didn't have time to be able to make it to the next jigsaw box.

• M2Fream
    M2Fream Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Gun_Doc said:

@Sarief said:

Aside from exit gate activation, ive seen it one time and it happened to me one time
  • Gun_Doc
    Options

I actually wrote down all of the stats for 10 games so I could get a good view of how well I was doing with Piggy. Out of 40 survivors I had 4 RBT get the ""Game Over" however 3 of those 4 were in one match so I think those numbers are just a bit skewed. Either way since the RBT isn't (by design) to kill the survivor rather to slow the game down, I think it works just fine.

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832
    Options

they go out of their way to make every killer bad, look at the spirit