Legacy owners, do you support the distribution of legacy for whatever reason?

Options

As legacy player myself (proof - https://imgur.com/a/0g3pLgv, https://steamcommunity.com/id/adeptkiller/)I wouldn't be against distribution of legacy skins for free to everyone to get rid of exclusive skins and finally restore legacy to those who lost their legacy. Of course this shouldn't be just distributed to everyone for nothing, but it could be given to anyone who has prestiged one of legacy characters or has made "4th, 5th and 6th prestige" so "new" legacy owners would have to go through at least nearly similar amount of grind.

Legacy skins aren't the best skins in the game, however they look very unique and amazing, especially legacy weapons and having them available to a small group of people feels unfair. I believe, if BHVR wants to get rid of exclusivity, as they've proven by distribution of PAX exclusives and event items, they need to be consistent and do the similar thing with legacy.

What do you think? I am particularly interested in what other legacy players think. As I said, I wouldn't mind having these skins losing their "elite" status and become a fancy thing available for everyone.

Comments

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

I started in mid 2018. I think Hallowed Blight and onwards has been the best for cosmetics. Let event players earn them for free but have them available for purchase for new players.

I’m glad they made previous events cosmetics free. It sucked not being able to have David’s donkey jacket for example just because I wasn’t playing the game a few months earlier.

Legacy is something different though. Its not a unique cosmetic like the rest. Its something that was also done to appease players who put a lot of time into something before a drastic change came along. Personally I don’t think they should give out legacy.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101
    Options

I think even this is hard to implement for some reason, since this hasn't been done yet.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,547
    Options

I missed legacy by just a few months in regards to when I joined. I regret not having had the chance to get it, but I also completely believe I wouldn't care whatsoever about having it if everyone did. It only has value because of its exclusivity. I believe those who had it and lost it should get it back, but I do think you'd not see people run it if suddenly everyone was allowed to since, frankly, there are better skins out there and the only reason people care about it at all is it means something to have it.

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375
    Options

I have no Legacy but if I did, I surely wouldn't want it to become available for all others. Am I jealous of people with Legacy? 100% I am - that's exactly why they shouldn't become a thing for everyone.

It's something unique that people had to earn back then and I respect everyone with Legacy for going through that grind. (if they got it the legit way, that is)

• Kira15233
    Kira15233 Member Posts: 473
    Options

I started on Switch so 2019, I love the legacy skin but it's def not the best, even the current prestige rewards aren't great, except maybe weapons, the rest is pretty basic, I'm still glad I got the free cosmetics since it wasn't available on swotch when event started!

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options

The only thing I'd like to see with Legacy cosmetics is to actually restore the stuff of people who lost their Legacies, back in the day.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    edited July 2020
    Options

I kinda stopped caring about my Legacy a while ago, mainly cause i didn't think it looked all that fantastic.

And with these way better cosmetics coming out over the years, that opinion certainly didn't sway.

If they make it available for everyone, me: Okay.

If they don't, me: Okay.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

So I pinged this to my friend who has legacy but stopped playing. She has legacy 3 nurse and Wraith (I'll post Screenshots when I get them, right now we're both out the house, just in different places) but I asked what she thought and she said "no".

In her words, she worked "very ######### hard" for those skins and doesn't want to see them distributed. Ever.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

As an edit:

There are her skins

I found Screenshots she'd sent to me over discord earlier.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Options

I mean, people were working hard for event items too, but for some reason it didn't stop BHVR from doing what they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRKOwLKxVwY pretty nails what I think about it.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

I do have legacy and I honestly don't really care if they gave it out. Imao only reason why people want legacy is because it's exclusive so if everyone had it nobody would wear it since they are far far superior cosmetics then a bit of sparkly lines on your clothes.

It's biggest advantage over other cosmetis is that it's the main exclusive to flex your old-school player status. Like anyone really cares how long do you play DBD.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117
    edited July 2020
    Options

It kind of irks me because I bought the game the first week it was out. And I stopped playing because survivors could infinitely vault windows, which made it apparent to me immediately that the game was broken. I hung around for a short while but the fix didn't come for months, by which time I had already quit and only came back like... last month, since I wasn't aware it was fixed and figured it was intended after waiting quite a while.

That said, I really don't care about cosmetics, it only irks me because I feel like people were rewarded for sticking with an, at the time, busted game. The first time someone infinitely vaulted me as killer and there was literally nothing I could do, it was just like... yup, this isn't gonna work. Now I really like the game, but feel like being an early adopter was an actively negative experience that had me writing off the game for years, which I consider, personally at least, a bigger issue than "grinding real hard."

Post edited by Xbob42 on
  • Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    edited July 2020
    Options

I unlocked the Crapper's legacy cleaver back then, and lost it because Pretty Gud Job So Far™.

Just saying.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

Aight again her words not mine,

You had to grind the bloodweb for legacy not just Event items in-games and nobody was sure if the game would even succeed back then.

BHVR backtracked on a decision with the event cosmetics because the grind was significantly less and the problem was more widespread. She says that legacy is completely different because of the difference required to grind (it took her months to get wraith p3) and if she ever returned to the game she'd want her earlier hard work to at least remain.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Options

You aren't getting it back because BHVR is afraid of devaluing pixels

Just saying.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Options

As for me, I want legacy weapons on other killers because these shining things are looking extremely nice.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

I mean, I've P3'd half the survivors and killers, and began playing around early 2018, but got into the game late that year, not too long after spirit came out. I wish I had the ability to earn these skins...or that they'd bring out new versions for the non-licensed killers and survivors that have since coming out. Legacy Oni would be sick.

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310
    Options

Personally, it just wouldn't matter.

Legacy was MUCH harder to earn than pretty much every event cosmetic. It was super extra grindy. If you see a P3 Nurse or Nea you know they no-lifed dbd.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

I've got 5 pieces of Legacy and love them, although I rarely use them. I'm in no way against them bringing it back somehow just as long as it isn't adding extra prestige levels because that's just tedious.

I've had my time with Legacy and I must say it is nice to flex a little when I do use it. I really wouldn't care if everyone else ended up with them though. This would give people that lost their Legacy the ability to have them again and also to people on other platforms who had no way to get Legacy anyway. Better to please more people i'd say.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,659
    Options

I lost my legacy 3 Hillbilly and Claudette in 2018. But even I would rather they never be returned if it meant that EVERYONE could grind for/receive all the legacy skins. This would completely alienate people who actually still have their legacy skins and their value would be trashed.

Legacy skins were released for old players who grinded for them in the early stages of the game, as you know. The only thing the devs need to resolve regarding legacy skins is to return legacy to those that lost them, like me!

I also don't accept your argument regarding devs wanting to 'get rid of' exclusives. I believe PAX and most other cosmetics acquired via entering a code were released to everyone because the Devs didn't want desperate people to get scammed, some of whom would pay hundreds of £££. I believe event cosmetics were released because there was still a small number of players who never had their lost event cosmetics returned to them. So they gave them to everyone. I would not want them to do the same thing with legacy.

Devs have already started waving the 'exclusive' cosmetics word around again, even if they did suggest they wanted no more exclusives at some point. They tweeted out just yesterday advertising TOME IV and added players could 'earn exclusive rewards'. They also mentioned via the in-game news popup during the 4th Anniversary event that crowns are 'exclusive' and 'time-limited'.

TLDR;

As a player that lost L3 Hillbilly and Claudette, I would never accept 'grinding' in 2020 for legacy cosmetics because they were rewards for players 4 years ago, who have already grinded early on in the games life. I would however, accept a compromise for people who lost legacy cosmetics to retrieve L1/L2/L3 skins for 1 character based on how many times they prestiged before the deadline (via steam prestige achievements and possibly other proof such as screenshots/videos).

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725
    edited July 2020
    Options

I think the one thing that would make sense would be for anybody who to the prestige 3 achievement before the bloodweb rework to get all legacies for all the characters. That would allow people who lost their legacies to gain them back without issue without too much of a loss in the value of legacy skins.

• HommeBizarre
    HommeBizarre Member Posts: 405
    Options

It's only a cosmetic, people should get a real life and stop complaining about some binaries content.

I mean, even if they have legacy, there's plenty of other outfits in the store which are way better

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318
    Options

A lot of people use the argument that it took a lot of time and grind back in the old system and that's why new players shouldn't get it because the grind is much less. But, that's a dumb argument. What about people who've put in way more than that into the game but they just simply started later?

I get the idea of rewarding those who were there in the early parts of the game. I can't really argue against this one.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Options

If it's only a cosmetic, then what's so difficult in making it accessible for everyone? What differs event cosmetics from legacy? The amount of effort put into getting them? What's so difficult in making newer players put some effort into getting these cosmetics instead of getting them for nothing?

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298
    Options

As someone who lost legacy 3 Dwight:

People that can prove they had reached P3 before the cut off date via steam achievement and/or video/pictures as proof should absolutely get it back. I know people can hack their steam achievements but I would assume the number of people willing to do this and risk getting banned for a cosmetic would be fairly small. I don’t think legacy should be given to everybody. Legacy skins are status symbol/badge of honor at this point.

I also owned Dweard and was incredibly disappointed when they made it available to everyone.

It is perfectly fine to have exclusive/one time skins in a video game for your long time players.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Options

I think people who played since the beginning were already rewarded by getting to use these cosmetics for 4 years and seeing all game's ups and downs. I just don't think it is very fair to lock such unique cosmetic pieces. If it is so important to highlight these legacy players, then BHVR can give them some badges or cosmetic like "BEST NEW TRAPPER MASK" that isn't something unique looking, but is a memorable thing nonetheless.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Options

What is not perfectly fine is to pursue a policy of "no exclusivity" and then say "nah, nah, this stays exclusive, this is different.

I want BHVR to be either be consistent and finish what they have started or back up and restore exclusivity status to given away cosmetic pieces, because otherwise I see what they have done with these cosmetics one big hypocrisy.

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298
    Options

Good argument that I can agree with. I’d much rather them revert certain cosmetics back to exclusivity than give everyone legacy but you are right: they have been hypocritical on this.

• WelshTomz
    WelshTomz Member Posts: 27
    Options

As a legacy 3 meghead i disagree with giving out legacy to everyone.

I also disagreed with the devs giving out event exclusive items to all players which i thought was a stupid idea, and i share that same opinion in regards to giving out legacy to everyone.

Event items and cosmetics, and legacy items were advertised as being exclusive and time limited items, therefore i find it hard to understand peoples arguments when they say, its been 4 years, they've had time to wear them, now give it to me. This makes no sense.

I swear this is the only gaming community I know of that asks for exclusive items to become available to everyone just because time has passed, that is not what EXCLUSIVE means.

That's my opinion and I hope BHVR don't be stupid and hand it out to every 200hour player out there :)

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

I don't think legacy should be given, I don't have legacy at all, but it is a cosmetic that people worked hard if anything the devs should make an event like legacy, again not legacy but something like it but for more characters.

• HommeBizarre
    HommeBizarre Member Posts: 405
    Options

Man, it's just a game.

If you can't understand that, then we don't have to speak no more

• RedditUser69
    RedditUser69 Member Posts: 193
    Options

I have full Trapper and half of Hillbilly. I'm pretty indifferent to be honest. I don't even use them because if I do poorly people will call me a fake legacy user and be extra cruel. If I do well they'll just scream about how I'm a legacy player but I have to *insert excuse for why they lost like camping or tunneling* to win.

I don't care.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

I think, as I always say (regardless of me using legacy as a way to explain why the other free exclusives were stupid), they should AT LEAST give them to any account that existed before the bloodweb change.

At the very least they are the ONLY ones that were actually eligible to earn them legitimately.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

I worked for my bbq shirt and people worked hard for the money they spent on convention skins, but they're handed out. 🤷‍♀️

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,145
    Options

Not really, you can just check steam to see when you bought the game. I'm sure other platforms have similar ways.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826
    edited July 2020
    Options

I've never seen a Nea P3.

I've seen Nurse, and I've always wondered why I haven't seen a Nea P3 in person.

Oh, and I vote no. I'm not a Legacy owner, but they're so rare and so unique, they should be kept to their original owners.

I really like Event Cosmetics because, and I hope, you cannot get them later. It's a sign you played during that specific event.

• Nanglaur
    Nanglaur Member Posts: 124
    Options

I have it and I dont use it. Its terrible and everyone can see you from a mile away. The only reason to have it in the first place its because it was going to be a unique thing. If they want to give it to everyone, sure go ahead. I just hope thay add it to the new characters and maybe even as an accesory instead of a base skin. So you can actually use it with good skins. But thats to much work. So w/e who cares.

• handfulofrain
    handfulofrain Member Posts: 317
    Options

...post pics of legacy trapper. I've seen actually seen it.

• PureHostility
    PureHostility Member Posts: 708
    edited July 2020
    Options

Just FYI, I don't use them personally, I prefer looks of other outfits and I don't play as Nea anymore, so there goes her outfit.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826
    Options
  • Szakally
    Szakally Member Posts: 56
    Options

Legacy skins should be for everyone who played before 2017. For example, I lost my outfit P2 for Nea, all progress and couldn't get it back. That's why I stopped playing for 2 years. Many players lost his lagacies and can't get it back. Now this skins have like 2-4% dbd players. If they bring back people who lost these outfits or played before 2017, then around 15% of players would have the outfits. Now i see many cheaters who pick up this skins and I feel bad because I lost them.

• Aldivi
    Aldivi Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have some legacy pieces myself and think everyone should have a chance to earn it and don't really see why it shouldn't be a for all thing.

First thing that's said that comes to mind is "Bloodwebs were harder" and yeah, they were but that was years ago and I have seen many people who have played the game thousands of hours more than myself and they probably have spent enough time to earn all the legacy sets at least once and then some. Their time played is a lot more than mine so why do I get to just say "bloodwebs harder" when they have done hundreds and thousands more of the regular ones.

What else gets said "well it doesn't look good anyway so why give it" looks are subjective lol.

Overall I think the superiority complex people have with their legacy is pretty cringe and how people feel the need that they need to have a one up on newer players is petty and holds the game back.

Just let people earn it. Once people pull their heads out of their asses like they did with science fair and street meg etc it will be a change for the better.